[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 381 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
T-62A is researched now. Another tank on the 'to buy' list. Does the t-62A have any ammo rack or fire problems? Current T-54 crew has 100% Repair and 99% Fire Fighting skills. Its an old crew from way back and I think I need to reset their skills for the T-62A but not sure.

You should keep the T-54 and train up another crew for the T-62. The T-54 is too good to just ditch.

I'd go 6th sense + BIA/Repair first. If you don't do clan wars, I'd get camo over repairs as T-62 has pretty decent camo like all russian mediums and it's more important to stay hidden in pubs.

Sorry don't know much about fire/repairs in the 62A, but I haven't seen people complain about them much and it shouldn't be too different from the 54.

Mar 10, 2005
well, i've been on the receiving end of the worst matchups yet. i'm struggling to break 50% wins while topping the scoreboard most matches.

shot_001_zps865ef80f.jpg

a whopping 19% chance to win! honestly, there's no way this would be a win 19 out of 100 runs

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
You should keep the T-54 and train up another crew for the T-62. The T-54 is too good to just ditch.

I'd go 6th sense + BIA/Repair first. If you don't do clan wars, I'd get camo over repairs as T-62 has pretty decent camo like all russian mediums and it's more important to stay hidden in pubs.

Sorry don't know much about fire/repairs in the 62A, but I haven't seen people complain about them much and it shouldn't be too different from the 54.

yea it gets set on fire/engine damaged/ammo racked all the time
protect the front left side (if you're looking hull down at a t62a)

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i never used mods either until either power or lurker listed the historical realism sound mod.
can't use anything else now haha

i use no graphical mods tho

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Am I the only one on here that doesn't use mods?
Nah, I'm sure mod use is less than 50%, but it is probably a significant part of the player base.

I mod everything. I'm a mod whore. I will never own an Apple product for this reason.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Am I the only one on here that doesn't use mods?

Probably. In my experience, the more competitive people are more likely to use mods, and more competitive people are more likely to post about the game.

I use a contour icon mod and a minimap mod, though that is all. Knowing exactly how far the draw distance will let me see is especially helpful whether I am in a slow TD or a supporting flanking medium.

I almost installed XVM once, just so I would know which teammates I can count on, but I took one look at its config file and said fuck no.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Probably. In my experience, the more competitive people are more likely to use mods, and more competitive people are more likely to post about the game.

I use a contour icon mod and a minimap mod, though that is all. Knowing exactly how far the draw distance will let me see is especially helpful whether I am in a slow TD or a supporting flanking medium.

I almost installed XVM once, just so I would know which teammates I can count on, but I took one look at its config file and said fuck no.

XVM is actually very easy to setup if you don't fiddle with the config settings. They also give you a sample config that you can just copy/paste over. Actually the newer xvm configs have everything set as default, and only things you want to overwrite should show up in the config files.

Also almost all my mods are cosmetic changes, like historical realism, tank skins and a different gui for the crosshair (j1mbos). Its not so much about being competitive so much as the stock WOT being butt ugly with the disgusting stock tank skins.

I've never really been set on fire in the T-54, ammo racked a bunch of times though. Now the type 59 does get set on all the time...

Mar 10, 2005
consistently, totally, mismatched battles. i'm getting lots of teams absolutely outclassed in hardware and skill, and getting shorted on top tiers and artillery just to make sure it's a miserable experience.

don't give me that "the one constant is you" bullshit, either. i can think of at least 2 other constants: at least 10 teammates that can't tie their shoes, and wot's fubar-by-design game mechanics.

it's like i'm playing an mmo and getting perma-griefed at spawn, for 6 hours. except the griefer is the game.

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
consistently, totally, mismatched battles. i'm getting lots of teams absolutely outclassed in hardware and skill, and getting shorted on top tiers and artillery just to make sure it's a miserable experience.

don't give me that "the one constant is you" bullshit, either. i can think of at least 2 other constants: at least 10 teammates that can't tie their shoes, and wot's fubar-by-design game mechanics.

it's like i'm playing an mmo and getting perma-griefed at spawn, for 6 hours. except the griefer is the game.

Haha so true

i have a M22 Locust(garage Slot Included) + 1000 gold + 1 week premium time (for creating a new account) code that i can't use since i already have an account. Anyone wanna trade something for it?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Rough night for me as well. I think we went 2-6 before calling it quits. My issue was the RNG fucking me sqaw in the arse. I had a 3 game span where I only did a total of about 2100 damage while dinging or critical hitting about 19 shots in my E100. That is a lot of damage to be leaving on the table. Also extremely frustrating.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

that's how it is all the time, mm is broken.
i've had matches where the other team had 4-5 extra tier X's.
last night i was in my AMX 50B, we had all heavy tanks
the other side had almost 2/3 big boy TD's and as expected we got absolutely
demolished. i think we maybe took out 3 on their side.
they didn't even have to stop at a chokepoint, they just rolled their JGPZE100's, 183's, E100's straight thru w/o stopping. we couldn't do shit

boozie

Oct 12, 2006

Can you link me that minimap mod?

Also, I installed XVM, and I have some of it working, but I'm not following the crazy config stuff. I don't even think the file (and file location) that it tells me to modify exists.

I am looking for like a "Top 10" ish list of videos to watch to help me improve at the game.

1500 xp away from my KV-1. I can't wait to get out of that ugly T-28! Also having a tough time deciding between Jackson and Hellcat on my other line.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

well duh, you can't influence 90% of the battles you are in, otherwise we would see people rolling around with 90% win rates. You should focus on the 10% of the battles where you can swing a loss into a win instead of focus on how dumb the general population of planet earth is.

Also I've seen a fair share of MM derps. One game we got no tier 10s, less tier 9s and a bunch of tier 8s. The other team got an E100 that was actually a good player and 2 more tier 9 heavies. Guess who won that one...

Though wargaming has stated they found the bug and it'll be patched next update (8.8), so I'm at least hopeful.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Can you link me that minimap mod?

Also, I installed XVM, and I have some of it working, but I'm not following the crazy config stuff. I don't even think the file (and file location) that it tells me to modify exists.

I am looking for like a "Top 10" ish list of videos to watch to help me improve at the game.

1500 xp away from my KV-1. I can't wait to get out of that ugly T-28! Also having a tough time deciding between Jackson and Hellcat on my other line.

look up locustan's enhanced minimap, it's on the EU forums.

Don't worry too much about XVM's configs. The colors are generally enough to tell you who to shoot and who to ignore for 90% of the cases.

Like others have said I'd choose the hellcat. It's one of my favorite tanks of the game, and i'll probably buy it back at some point when I get out of grinding the other tanks.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
look up locustan's enhanced minimap, it's on the EU forums.

Don't worry too much about XVM's configs. The colors are generally enough to tell you who to shoot and who to ignore for 90% of the cases.

Like others have said I'd choose the hellcat. It's one of my favorite tanks of the game, and i'll probably buy it back at some point when I get out of grinding the other tanks.

Well I don't have colors, so I think something potentially wasn't installed right. Only thing I've really noticed is the minimap shows the tank type instead of player names.

So Hellcat vs Jackson:

Hellcat is faster but less armor with comparable firepower?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Well I don't have colors, so I think something potentially wasn't installed right. Only thing I've really noticed is the minimap shows the tank type instead of player names.

So Hellcat vs Jackson:

Hellcat is faster but less armor with comparable firepower?

I can send you my xvm config when I get home, it's very basic and doesn't have much of anything other than colors and stock tank indicator.

Hellcat's faster, more nimble and has great gun depression and better camo rating than the jackson. I believe they both have the same gun, but jacksons can get some weird bounces off their turret.

Just a note: hellcat has like 21mm of armor. Anything is autopen and most guns will overmatch it. The mantlet can actually bounce a few shells, though it's always funny when a hellcat bounces.

Ruptga

Lifer
Aug 3, 2006
Locastan's is the one I use.

Whenever I can stand it I research everything for every tank. Even if you love the Hellcat, chances are good you will want to try the Jackson's line at some point, so you might as well unlock it now. I think the only time I've sold a vehicle early was when I was grinding through the Lee.

boozie

Oct 12, 2006
Locastan's is the one I use.

Whenever I can stand it I research everything for every tank. Even if you love the Hellcat, chances are good you will want to try the Jackson's line at some point, so you might as well unlock it now. I think the only time I've sold a vehicle early was when I was grinding through the Lee.

I am terrible on the Wolverine for whatever reason (43.5% win over 80 battles). Seems rational to finish it eventually, but the problem is I don't have garage spaces. Do they ever go on sale for cheaper than 300g that I should wait? I have 1k gold from my new account code. My premium is about to run out so I'm debating buying some premium.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
they go on sale every month or so. Weren't they half off (150g) during the anniversary sale? Or was that barracks?

You can also just finish researching it, and buy just one of the tanks, finish grinding that one and drop back down to the hellcat. Or grind whatever you got on sale, which is what I do.