[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 359 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I HATE the new sounds. They are horrible, I can't even tell if i'm getting shot at. Not to mention a .22 pistol makes more of a boom. I'll be getting the gun sound mod for 8.6 when I get home today. I didn't copy my 8.5 one over b/c I didn't think it would work.

Speaking of which, anyone have the links readily available for the gun and engine sound packs that are 8.6 ready?

gnomefather's engine pack got taken down by mediafire, so you'll have to wait for him to fix that situation. There's a few historical realism packs but the one I use just has the gun sounds because the older engine packs had problems with engines sputtering (or spinning up) when you stop and move, which was annoying as hell. Was going to test new versions last night but unfortunately it got taken down.

I can link it when i get home, but I'm at work right now and don't have have it on me.

also if you don't play for a while xvm doesn't display stats for you. happened to me a few times when I didn't play for a week or 2. It's funny waddling into a tier 10 battle with no stats on you.

Also obj 212A is stupidly fast now. I feel like a freaking hummel. First game with it: deal over 3000 damage in a tier 10 game. Pissed a guy from RUS off because he was the only good player on their team. We still lost since our platoon of 3 is-7s derped at the beginning of the game but me and the batcaht managed to kill off 5 guys before dying.

lolartynerf

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I had a horrible run last night as well, doesn't change the fact that I like 8.6 compared to 8.5

I started 0-4 and ended the night at 11/23 or a whopping 45%. Probably the worst night I have finished at in a LONG time.

I went 0-5 with my 183, the teams were just plain harsh. I did 5803 damage one game and we still lost... and this was platooned.

MM boned us twice. We were triple platooned in 6's and the opposing team had exactly one six on their team, an arty. Also happened in our 8's. We were triple platooned in 8's and the opposing team had one 8. Our three 8's held off the bridge on Mountain Pass against 3 10's and a 9. Well, we did not hold it off ALL game, but we did our best. We won that because of a fast cap from 2 horribad mediums while every flank died.

On the topic of XVM, for whatever reason most of the time my stats were not being displayed for anyone. It was quite comical when I was playing in my tier 8 premiums and people were calling me a noob who bought one the first day playing. I played along with it but they realized soon enough I knew how to play (just not win!). People also asked how I got to a tier 10 without any history, I said I found a hack to do it. Muahahaha.

I would love to find a way to hack my history on the xvm server. Would be funny to set my entire platoon to like 40% w/r and everyone think we are a cancer platoon, then go around owning up. People would think we are horrible and most likely completely underestimate us. Would be great trolling.

Although I do think just being a unicum platoon has a demoralizing effect to the enemy team. Although this does backfire sometimes for your own team, since they think "we have unicum platoon, we win", and they don't even try.

Mar 10, 2005
so, the 8.6 adjustments to camouflage increase the effectiveness of nets and paint, but reduce the effectiveness of bushes. it seems td's will be even more invisible and my tanks might as well be covered in neon lighting.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It just makes people who deck out their tanks in BIA, Camo net, camo pattern + camo skill be more effective than it currently is. If you have none of those skills and relied on bushes (like me) you'll be spotted more often, which fixes a lot of the invistank syndrome.

Overall it's a better change because now I can actually see heavies shooting at me from behind bushes instead of them staying invisible for 3-4 shots. On the other hand it screws scouts without all the right skills...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Skills are becoming even more important. With the accuracy changes, camo is by far the best skill to get on everything except maybe heavies. Your best defense is to never be spotted, now that you can't rely on armor to protect you, since weakspots can be shot at much greater ranges.

In my stats I've already noticed the effects the extra accuracy has had. It essentially lets me get at least one or more extra shots for damage per game. The 704 is now beastly with the accuracy changes. I had two 6,000+ damage games in a row with that tank yesterday. Its almost too easy to hit with the bl-10. I also get lots of critical hits, but when I go look at them afterwards its all: tracks, tracks, tracks, tracks...

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The big thing that screwed over scouts this patch is the castration of arty. Without as much arty, there is less for the scouts to do. Worse, because flight time has increased and accuracy has decreased for arty, even when you can spot the enemy arty in a scout, it's unlikely your own arty can actually hit them!

Arty can still be effective, sorta. But it's just not fun anymore. The demotion of the M40/43 from the best all-around arty piece in the game to one of the worst was just uncalled for.

Garbad wins?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
strongly disagree.

The key strength of the scout is not to "find arty", but to light up tanks. Any tanks, especially dangerous ones. They need to spot the flow of the enemy team so your team can react appropriately (if they have the situational awareness anyway).

Do you consider your "scout duty" to be fulfilled if you suicide in, light up arty, and those arty gets taken out? I consider that a waste of a spot on my team. Even in arty-parties (4-5x arties), a scout's main job is to light up all tanks, not to derp into arties.

Also I had no problems in my obj212 hitting stuff. Takes longer to aim and load for sure, but its far from useless. The m40/43 was better than the obj so I can't imagine they've been hurt that much. This is a right step towards arty balance but I'd rather see small damage, much wider explosions, less accuracy and higher ROF instead of the one shot wonder sniper rifles they still are.

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
strongly disagree.

The key strength of the scout is not to "find arty", but to light up tanks. Any tanks, especially dangerous ones. They need to spot the flow of the enemy team so your team can react appropriately (if they have the situational awareness anyway).

Do you consider your "scout duty" to be fulfilled if you suicide in, light up arty, and those arty gets taken out? I consider that a waste of a spot on my team. Even in arty-parties (4-5x arties), a scout's main job is to light up all tanks, not to derp into arties.

Also I had no problems in my obj212 hitting stuff. Takes longer to aim and load for sure, but its far from useless. The m40/43 was better than the obj so I can't imagine they've been hurt that much. This is a right step towards arty balance but I'd rather see small damage, much wider explosions, less accuracy and higher ROF instead of the one shot wonder sniper rifles they still are.

i totally agree with you 100%

nerf accuracy, remove god mode view (or at least remove enemy tanks from the god mode view), make them shoot faster to deny an area. If enemy tanks still go into that area, they should be destroyed or heavily punished.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The big thing that screwed over scouts this patch is the castration of arty. Without as much arty, there is less for the scouts to do. Worse, because flight time has increased and accuracy has decreased for arty, even when you can spot the enemy arty in a scout, it's unlikely your own arty can actually hit them!

Arty can still be effective, sorta. But it's just not fun anymore. The demotion of the M40/43 from the best all-around arty piece in the game to one of the worst was just uncalled for.

Garbad wins?

I carried garbad to a win yesterday. Was on steppes, only had 1 arty. The best part was I didn't have to worry about the arty shooting me, since I knew it was most likely going to shooting him.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I ran out of ammo in my 183 last night. Forced to fire HESH rounds at low HP targets didn't help the situation. 6k damage and a loss, frustrating.

I accidentally solo played my E2 as well and got put into Redshire encounter. I had no idea where to go, I was the first one spotted and the first one killed. Won the game with a 600 exp DOUBLE. Oh well, it is one more win closer to 300 games in it.

Mar 10, 2005
i got to play a little last night, went straight for my tiger. not too shabby - even, maybe positive kdr. very few close matches though, it continues to be a wipeout for either team.

my tiger crew has some new skills at 70%. is it possible for me to reset the skills and keep the 70% or is it all or nothing?

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
i got to play a little last night, went straight for my tiger. not too shabby - even, maybe positive kdr. very few close matches though, it continues to be a wipeout for either team.

my tiger crew has some new skills at 70%. is it possible for me to reset the skills and keep the 70% or is it all or nothing?

If you have a skill at X% and you cancel it for another skill, that other skill you select will get a certain percentage of the progress you were at with the original skill. That's the screen you see allowing you to choose 50%, 80%, or whatever for gold or silver.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

It's just like crew exp. You get 90% of whatever you have and you lose nothing if you use gold.

The tiger is really awesome for sniping now... it's so fucking accurate it's scary.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I've been taking a serious ass whipping since 8.6. I just went 2 for 12 with my ISU. I'm getting the hits in, but never end up on the winning side.

dbua.jpg

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm about 2/10 or something in my AC Mle 46. Still trying to figure out how to deal with this tank other than staying as far back as possible and snipe.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I wonder if anyone has stats on the actual damage from arty pre and post 8.6.

My 261 got a direct hit on a T34 for 50% damage, on a 38% tier 10 down to about 17%.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
my damage looks the same. It's just a bit harder to aim with the bloom, but I actually take a lot more snapshots and see most of them hitting the center of the circle if the thing is reasonably small. Hit a T57 for about 800 damage on a direct. I've also been hit for 100-300 splashes on my t-34 from a hummel so it feels about the same.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I'm about 2/10 or something in my AC Mle 46. Still trying to figure out how to deal with this tank other than staying as far back as possible and snipe.

The 46 is pretty bad. I rolled with the 90, the faster aim and reload times seemed to make all the difference. Although now that aiming isn't nearly as important, the 105 might be the better choice. I would also try to have 60k free xp laying around when you decided to get the 48. The good gun makes all the difference. The 48 is also capable of actually bouncing shots, while the 46 never seems to bounce at all.

After having a shitty start last week, everything turned around after I got a little used to 8.6. Ended the weekend with around 78% w/r. I decided that I wanted to grind to the ST-1 and have that as my tier 9 heavy tank, so I bought back my KV-3. I moved my 3 skilled 261 crew to it (I'm done with arty), and its a pretty decent tank. Its definately not a T29 though. I've had multiple shots go through my gun mantlet, which I find retarded, as the damn thing is huge.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
After having a shitty start last week, everything turned around after I got a little used to 8.6. Ended the weekend with around 78% w/r. I decided that I wanted to grind to the ST-1 and have that as my tier 9 heavy tank, so I bought back my KV-3. I moved my 3 skilled 261 crew to it (I'm done with arty), and its a pretty decent tank. Its definately not a T29 though. I've had multiple shots go through my gun mantlet, which I find retarded, as the damn thing is huge.

Ah, but remember, the KV4 is a freaking BEAST. I highly recommend keeping that or rebuying it at a later point as the KV4's 107 is amazingly accurate and has pretty good pen.

I became a standard account and it is quite funny to see the exp per game just DROP. The credits don't really matter (I turn a profit in tier 9 and below, tier 10 is NOT a money maker in std).

Look at that drop:
signature.png

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Ah, but remember, the KV4 is a freaking BEAST. I highly recommend keeping that or rebuying it at a later point as the KV4's 107 is amazingly accurate and has pretty good pen.

I became a standard account and it is quite funny to see the exp per game just DROP. The credits don't really matter (I turn a profit in tier 9 and below, tier 10 is NOT a money maker in std).

Look at that drop:
signature.png

You need to get your premium back just to make that xp/game look much better. It looks like platooning with me and my brother Saturday helped boost your weekly stats.

Now that they aren't nerfing my TD xp per game, I've seen my xp/game get a nice little boost. That coupled with the accuracy boost of the big boom sticks, I've also consistantly got more damage/game since the patch.

signature.png

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The 46 is pretty bad. I rolled with the 90, the faster aim and reload times seemed to make all the difference. Although now that aiming isn't nearly as important, the 105 might be the better choice. I would also try to have 60k free xp laying around when you decided to get the 48. The good gun makes all the difference. The 48 is also capable of actually bouncing shots, while the 46 never seems to bounce at all.

Ugh, I dunno. The giant tumors are also penetrable by tier 5s, and 6 shots from the fast firing guys will take me out very quickly. (T-34s for example).

I'm running the 90 right now and I love it, this tank can do things that the ARL never could. But again... I can't do anything other than long range snipe. I had thought it would be a low tier foch but that's not the case.

Also I've been running standard for close to half a year now. My exp/game has certainly dipped about 300~ per game...

Speaking of which miniquests are up. Kill 3 tanks, get 100x exp * tier level and 500 credits * tier level as a bonus.

I could practically grind out my T-54 in one day like this... I routinely kill 3 guys every three games or so.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
261 just hit a foch, did 10% damage. This is getting old. Another shot landed right between two tanks close, zero splash again.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Ugh, I dunno. The giant tumors are also penetrable by tier 5s, and 6 shots from the fast firing guys will take me out very quickly. (T-34s for example).

I'm running the 90 right now and I love it, this tank can do things that the ARL never could. But again... I can't do anything other than long range snipe. I had thought it would be a low tier foch but that's not the case.

Also I've been running standard for close to half a year now. My exp/game has certainly dipped about 300~ per game...

Speaking of which miniquests are up. Kill 3 tanks, get 100x exp * tier level and 500 credits * tier level as a bonus.

I could practically grind out my T-54 in one day like this... I routinely kill 3 guys every three games or so.

I just felt that the ARL was a good tier 6 TD and the 48 is a good tier 8 TD, but that the 46 is just a lackluster tier 7 TD. Maybe its just that I'm a little bit spoiled with the Su-122-44, and thats why I feel the 46 just underperforms at its tier. It doesn't help that 46 can be penned by almost anything. At least the 48 get more armor at a better slope and the upper view ports aren't always autopens like on the 46.

I also believe the event is 5k credits * tier, so 3 kills in a tier ten will net you and extra 50k. I should be rolling in credits soon, as I can get 3 kills in my IS-6 at the very least every other game, and probably top damage every third (damn platoon mates). for an extra 30%.