[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 337 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
IS7 event eh, 30% cheaper to buy and 30% more credits the next 2 weeks for the is3, is8, is7

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I was soloing in my E100 and 183 yesterday. One game, no arty. Another, 1 arty. 2 games had 2 arty. 1 game had 3 arty. It is not 5arty per side per game. It isn't. People always remember the worst and the best. But they tend to forget the normal matches.

Fatdog

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2000
I did 6 solo's this afternoon in my ISU. Was dragged into five tier 10 games and each one had at least 4 arty per side. One tier 8 match had no arty and was my best game of the day. Thankfully I haven't seen this much arty in quite a while.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I was soloing in my E100 and 183 yesterday. One game, no arty. Another, 1 arty. 2 games had 2 arty. 1 game had 3 arty. It is not 5arty per side per game. It isn't. People always remember the worst and the best. But they tend to forget the normal matches.

Eh, I haven't had more than a dozen games in my T110E5 precisely because I've been in exactly one game that has less than 3 arty per side. Without fail I'll see at the very least 2 big arty a side, and a small one (obj212, m40/43, etc).

Most of the time I see 4 arty of the tier 7 variety, and on the rare occasion 5 per side. Most of the 3-arty games will have t8 arties which means if you get shot, you get instagibbed.

Tier 8 arty is just plain broken and are no fun to play with, period.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Playing a tier 8 arty, it's not rare to sit in a queue 5 minutes and then it times out.

When you DO get a match, it can be 7 arty each side, and nothing else.

So it's not like it's great for the arty - who when they do get more mornal matches, have pub teams that let the enemy easly come and kill them a lot.

And the losses on them are the worst I see - 25k to 30k per match lost.

I've had over 10 losses in a row for hundreds of thousands.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea pretty much i feel like leaving a match when there's 6+ arty a side, it's just easier to jam and play another match with another tank

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Soloed in the big boys again last night. Only 3 matches though. 2 with 3 arty per side, 1 with 1. Just not seeing it.

There is a trick though when you queue up in the 10. Don't wait in queue more than 15-30 seconds. You are more likely to be in the tier 12 game and MM is struggling to fill it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
When I got the final engine on my Indien Panzer my win rate was 43%. Since then I have clawed my way up to 49%. Last couple nights the battles have been mostly wins for me. A lot of them T10 too. I'm getting better with this tank. Going for that magical 50% that makes me just 'average' LOL

Edit: 50% Yay! I'm average! LOL

Last edited:

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
How do you guys like the Indien and its line? I can free xp into the line and max the Indien, I'm thinking about it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Playing a tier 8 arty, it's not rare to sit in a queue 5 minutes and then it times out.

When you DO get a match, it can be 7 arty each side, and nothing else.

So it's not like it's great for the arty - who when they do get more mornal matches, have pub teams that let the enemy easly come and kill them a lot.

And the losses on them are the worst I see - 25k to 30k per match lost.

I've had over 10 losses in a row for hundreds of thousands.

I'm going to play sour grapes and say "good, that's the way it should be." If that cost and long queue discourages people from playing whack-a-mole then it's great news to me.

In reality it's just wargaming's stupid balance that's causing issues. Whoever thought that letting someone to 1 shot a tier 10 tank from behind a mountain on the other side of the map is a great idea should learn how to make games. Arty as a long ranged sniper rifle is ridiculous.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
In all reality arty should never had been put in the game. Arty was rarely used against armor anyways. And the calibers and systems they have in this game. They were rarely used in such a short range. Only a few times can i think of arty being used in a direct role like this.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
In all reality arty should never had been put in the game. Arty was rarely used against armor anyways. And the calibers and systems they have in this game. They were rarely used in such a short range. Only a few times can i think of arty being used in a direct role like this.

Only the german 88s (and the italian equivalent, forgot the number) have been used in direct fire effectively, hence the adoption of the 88 as AT guns later on. However, the 152mm from the SU-152 was originally an artillery piece as well, and the 105mm derp as well.

In WOT Arty are more like naval guns than SPGs. In its current incarnation, you're right. Arty shouldn't be in the game at all. I'd much rather see arty shells doing a big AOE effect that fires faster and does less damage instead of being a one shot wonder sniper rifle.

edit: some sales this weekend for christie tanks, and 50% off gold ammo and 2x crew training. :D

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
As Victor describes it in his interviews its like rock, scissors, paper. Heavy tanks are rocks and arty is paper. Basically arty is what keeps everyone from playing just heavies and those that do it keeps them in check. So arty is needed. There is also the fact that T10 tanks are expensive and tend to lose money that also forces people to run smaller tanks to offset costs but arty is the biggest factor I think. I strongly dislike arty like many players but I've always said if they limit the number of arty to no more than two per side per battle then its no so bad and I would be happy with that. WG seems to disagree with that theory however and allows many more especially in higher tier battles. WG so far has no intention of limiting the number of arty so I dont see a change any time soon. Its either play their game their way or go elsewhere. It sucks but that is the plain hard truth of it unfortunately.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
How do you guys like the Indien and its line? I can free xp into the line and max the Indien, I'm thinking about it.

I already had the VK3002DB elited from way back. I just had to grind the 82k xp to be ready to buy the Indien. Once fully upgraded the Indien is a good tank. Its not a brawler however. It's strength lies in sniping so you have to use it like a sniper tank. It can pen the T10 tanks if you hit them in the flanks. Head on you are just going to bounce shells. So you have to get into the right positions and pick your targets. Camo net and camo training allows the Indien to hide very well. This is a tank that does really good at range when using stealth and the 90mm gun. Personally, I like the tank and reccomend people trying it. It is a fun tank.

As far as grinding up to it... When I grinded up to the VK3002DB the game was very different. There was only Germans and Russians. So it wasn't bad at all. The VK3002DB was quite a brawler. One of the best in the game if not the best. Times have changed though. Many more and different types of tanks now brawl better than it. In fact when I grinded the 82K xp for the Indien I ran a spall-liner (old school method) and ran nothing but gold shells. I played as support tank mostly with a fair bit of sniping thrown in. Running gold shells however is extremely expensive with the VK3002DB. It does however make the grind faster and more enjoyable. I managed to surprise a lot of people in game playing that way. Its an average tank but the gold shells lift it up to a bit above average. The 88mm + gold = deadly. I hear the 105 + gold is pretty badass too but I never tried it.

I cant say if the grind up from scratch is better or worse. I did it so long ago and now the VK3002DB is even gone after last patch. If you can get to the Indien I say do it. The Leopord is the utlimate prize though. People remark how great it is. I've seen them kick ass in game. Seen a platoon of them just decimate a team. Those were good players though I'm sure. Not noobs.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
As Victor describes it in his interviews its like rock, scissors, paper. Heavy tanks are rocks and arty is paper. Basically arty is what keeps everyone from playing just heavies and those that do it keeps them in check. So arty is needed. There is also the fact that T10 tanks are expensive and tend to lose money that also forces people to run smaller tanks to offset costs but arty is the biggest factor I think. I strongly dislike arty like many players but I've always said if they limit the number of arty to no more than two per side per battle then its no so bad and I would be happy with that. WG seems to disagree with that theory however and allows many more especially in higher tier battles. WG so far has no intention of limiting the number of arty so I dont see a change any time soon. Its either play their game their way or go elsewhere. It sucks but that is the plain hard truth of it unfortunately.

That's BS though. The rock paper scissors stuff is: Heavy vs. Mediums vs. TDs. Nowhere does arty fit into that. Instead arty is just some finger of God that destroys EVERYTHING. The only semblance of balance to arty are the scout tanks.

I think most all of us agree it's not going away and I'm not sure why it hasn't been capped but I guess Russians spend a lot of time playing arty and money so they can't piss off their base.

They're waiting I think for the retiering of arty to see how that changes the game.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
That's BS though. The rock paper scissors stuff is: Heavy vs. Mediums vs. TDs. Nowhere does arty fit into that. Instead arty is just some finger of God that destroys EVERYTHING. The only semblance of balance to arty are the scout tanks.

I think most all of us agree it's not going away and I'm not sure why it hasn't been capped but I guess Russians spend a lot of time playing arty and money so they can't piss off their base.

They're waiting I think for the retiering of arty to see how that changes the game.

I dont know. That's what Victor said. I know in a interview he talked about how he likes to play arty. In a later interview he talked about liking to play the Maus heavy tank too. Go figure.

In other news...

Walter Christie Weekend

Event Starts: 04:30 PDT (07:30 EDT) May 3, 2013

Events Ends: 04:00 PDT (07:00 EDT) May 6, 2013

In honor Walter "Father of the Tank" Christie's birthday this weekend, we have put a number of vehicles he had some part in the creation of on discount throughout the weekend. In addition, we've got x2 Crew Experience, discounts on Premium, and much, much more!
x2 Crew Experience
Premium Account Discount

3 days for 350
7 days for 650

Up to 50% Credit and Gold Discount for Premium Ammo
15,000 Bonus for Earning the Invader Medal
30% Discount and 30% Credit Increase Per Battle for the Following Vehicles

VII Comet Comet VII SU-100M1 SU-100M1 VII T-34-1 T-34-1
50% Discount and 80% Credit Increase Per Battle for the Following Vehicles
II BT-2 BT-2 II Cruiser Mk. III Cruiser Mk. III III Cruiser Mk. IV Cruiser Mk. IV III BT-7 BT-7 III T-46 T-46 IV A-20 A-20 IV Covenanter Covenanter V Crusader Crusader V Type T-34 Type T-34 V SU-85 SU-85 VI SU-100 SU-100** VI Cromwell Cromwell**

**These vehicles will only receive a 80% Credit Increase, but no Credit Discount

Last edited:

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Arty does nothing but ruin gameplay.

Nothing like getting spotted in your T10 med, only to have it 1-shot by arty about 3 seconds later, without any actual tanks shooting at you.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I'm going to play sour grapes and say "good, that's the way it should be." If that cost and long queue discourages people from playing whack-a-mole then it's great news to me.

In reality it's just wargaming's stupid balance that's causing issues. Whoever thought that letting someone to 1 shot a tier 10 tank from behind a mountain on the other side of the map is a great idea should learn how to make games. Arty as a long ranged sniper rifle is ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, my tier 8 arty's (I have two) very rarely 1 shot a tier 10, I can't think of the last time it happened - the only thing they 1 shot I remember much is other arty.

It's pretty common that I hit a heavy right on, and it takes 10% or 15% of the HP - not exactly incredible. But if it finishes the tank, it seems like a lot.

It's hard to say how many times a shot is waiting a long time for a tank to leave cover and not move a lot, shoot, tank moves a little, miss, 45 second reload.

Those are the games that aren't over in the first two minutes because our team lets a scout or medium or even a fast heavy in the base to shoot or light.

While tanks can keep cover, arty has a hard time - they need a shot.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
After typing the above post, I played my 261. The team immediately abandoned the base, in abbey, ignored being told to guard it, and three enemy heavies came into base.

A Maus came over, I took what cover I could and ambushed him, got a point blank hit lowering him to 77%, no time to switch to AP, then one shotted. Typical.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
Arty players should start complaining as much as other players about being 1-shotted all of the time.

Me? I got to T6 in arty, and gave it up. I had a blast with the Grille @ a 59% win rate solo-pubbing over 100 battles. But, while the Hummel was an upgrade for sure, I couldn't get into the same groove, and only did 48% over 135 battles. The GwPanther I didn't like even more. Don't know if it was the higher tier battles, or if my skill level in actual tanks increased over that time to make me favor playing them. But when I hover over that GwPanther thinking about working up to T7, I normally just call it a night, instead. Too rough as an arty.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
the queue lately has been heavy in arty when looking @ types of tanks waiting for games. if people want to play arty so bad, why not just group 10-12 arty each side along with 3-5 lights and let them go at it

let the heavy/med/td's play "world of tanks" hah

another thing pissing me off lately, for example, everyone lemmings 1 way, me and a tier X td are the only 2 pushing the opposite choke point, our team gets wiped, me and the td get rolled by 4-5 tanks and everyone always has a comment about how you're the worst tier X's i've ever seen.... so am i supposed to just lemming 1 way and die with you guys instead of letting the other team stroll into our base from an unguarded flank?

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Arty players should start complaining as much as other players about being 1-shotted all of the time.

Me? I got to T6 in arty, and gave it up. I had a blast with the Grille @ a 59% win rate solo-pubbing over 100 battles. But, while the Hummel was an upgrade for sure, I couldn't get into the same groove, and only did 48% over 135 battles. The GwPanther I didn't like even more. Don't know if it was the higher tier battles, or if my skill level in actual tanks increased over that time to make me favor playing them. But when I hover over that GwPanther thinking about working up to T7, I normally just call it a night, instead. Too rough as an arty.

Remember using my example above, taking the Maus from 100% to 77%, that would be five shots to kill it - with 45 seconds or so reload for each. That's not exactly overpowered, when the Maus can one shot the arty. And take cover and out move (yes the Maus) and so on. IMO the arty is the hardest to play well tank. You're probably right not to get T7. It and the Typ E don't really add fun over the GW Panther - if you don't like that much, no reason you would like the GW Tiger and Typ E.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004

whoever thought sitting dead still and letting arty one shot you is a bad tanker. Arty is so nerfed right now its all but useless, 3- 4 shots a map.. 100% on arties shoulder to predict tank movement which is a HUMAN who should know non random movement is silly. I hate arty too, no doubt, but its to make us tankers think more when we play. I have 2 arty in my garage, both low tier (I hate um so much i don't play um more then maybe one match a night... last night my tier 5 arty had 9 hits.. 1 pen (for 100HP's on a 700 hp tank).. on tier 6 and 7 tanks.. yep i was oneshotting um .. ya sure.. I know your talking top tier arty.. but shouldnt it do HUGE damage? it takes 30 seconds to aim if moved any, 2-4 seconds of travel.. unless the tank is just sitting or moving totally noob like it should be a bit hard to hit. And any good scout makes those arty dead.. there is a reason scouts are so important (and easily the hardest tanks to play.. in a couple years of playing i have seen so few..) No arty inst the problem, its scouts that are.. sitting with the big boys like parasites trying to grab a kill.. they are supposed to be fast so they can scout, not sit behind the big boys like 99% do.

I am with ya.. one shotting from ANYTHING is bad (unless its a perfect shot).. and Arty can do it.. but its way harder then just hitting.. Arty was OP.. but its not now. I can see less arty in a match.. anything over 3 is way to many.. (2 would be my preferred limit)

if i had to ask for a change it would be the MM using XML stats to make matches more even.. Pubbing and getting 13% global win chance is utter crap...seeing my team with 10 guys with 40% win ratios.. and other team with 6 over 55% is no fun.. see a few with 60%+ is just scarry (im only 54% and average player) MM shouldn't just compare tanks (heck it cant do that right), it should compare players some too.

just my opinion, yours is valid.. i just don't agree with it :)

WOT the most fun and frustration one can have on a PC..

Last edited: