[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 328 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Haven't played for ~ 6 months, there is dog house in my garage, inside are 2 red eyes peaking, it says dog's name is Lowe and a growl can be heard? WOT April fools jokes have always been a little strange.

I think this game needs a instant respawn mode to help wash down all the BS.
Camping fests are really bad in high tier battles. Game always reeked of communism especially when compared to western made games but the things one needs to do be successful in it collide with my definitions of game, fun and any good time in general.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
how would you do instant respawns? peoples repair bills would be over 100k easily LOL

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Game needs garage battles like War Thunder does. Pick a certain number of vehicles you own and have at it.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
how would you do instant respawns? peoples repair bills would be over 100k easily LOL

In this as of yet fictional mode, players wouldn't lose or gain anything, just a death match kind of thing.

Right now I'm seeing tier X battles with tanks going afk AFTER they were actively playing, probably playing with their phones while in actual battle.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
any thoughts on the 107 ZiS-24 for the kv-4? i'm trying to just grind thru using the 122 D-25T from the kv-3 but it's not pen'ng shit in battles

i've also read a few people reverted back to the stock turret for some speed and the fact it's smaller.

honestly it's so slow i doubt it makes a difference

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
any thoughts on the 107 ZiS-24 for the kv-4? i'm trying to just grind thru using the 122 D-25T from the kv-3 but it's not pen'ng shit in battles

i've also read a few people reverted back to the stock turret for some speed and the fact it's smaller.

honestly it's so slow i doubt it makes a difference

I am grinding the KV-4 right now. I see absolutely no reason for the big turret. 30 more view range is inconsequential to the weight of 10 more tons. The 122 is a great gun, I have few issues with it even at tier 8. I will switch to the 107 once I get it unlocked though.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
hmm now i'm thinking i may get the 107 instead of just going for the tier 9

the kv-4 bounces a ton and can take a beating, guess that's perk to being slow as a maus

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
just to get the st1 to try ? if it truly sucks that much i might as well abandon the kv4 grind now and sell it

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
ST-1 is nothing special. It has ok depression for a russian tank and a troll turret, but the hull armor is not great. Has a great gun, but the problem with grinding this line is that the IS-4 sucks ass. Personally never owned a ST1 and never plan to so I don't know how fast, how nimble and whatnot.

If you're having fun with the KV-4 by all means keep playing it. I wouldn't grind to tier 10 in this line though. In general all russian heavy lines suck balls now, only line that sucks more is the german line.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i already had the is-4 from way back when, just wanted to test the tier9 since i was only 1 tank grind from it.

is-7 getting a buff next patch, i believe just a speed boost

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Just have to laugh. 7 kills in the M4, 5 of their team survives. The other 14 morons on my team killed 3 tanks.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Why grind the KV-4 though? The line is a dead end and the ST1 is not particularly great.

I am at the tank I wanted to play. The KV-4 is a beast. Ask Lurker what tanks I excel in, slow behemoths that can take a punishment.

I looked at my last 50 games and 22 were in the E100. It is currently my most fun tank to play.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
how about the Maus? I'd think that's the epitome of slow behemoths.

And it's fine if the tank is enjoyable for you. I just wouldn't advise grinding through it fast to try to hit a tier 10 IS4.

The ST-1 is nowhere near the beast that the IS-4 used to be. I'll leave that place of honor for the E-75, though admittedly it's much more vulnerable now with all the gold rounds flying around.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i free xp'd to the crusader, it's a fun little tank, i think i will keep the cromwell once i get it, fully upgraded it looks great

ahdaniels76

Nov 30, 2010
So, I have a T32 about 15k exp away from the tier 9 (M103?) and an IS-8 that just got its top gun, so it's 100+k away from the IS-7. It sounds like the US heavy line is more popular/fun, although someone said above the IS-7 is getting a buff. Where should I focus my energy? I like both tanks right now already, although the IS-8 feels like a paper target sometimes, even around lower tier tanks.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
focus on the american line, it's mobility > all others since it helps you avoid arty

i'd still get the is-7 tho as it just looks bad ass, the buff is a top speed of 59,6 i believe
it's gun is underwhelming nowadays tho

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The IS-8 is the new T34. A miserable T9 that has no armor and cannot go harm's way. It's as fast as a medium, and you have to play it like one. But it will get penned and damaged by everything. With most T10s running at least some gold ammo, you cannot even hull down reliably. It has no gun depression as well, so good luck finding safe places to shoot.

The 50-120 has comparably bad survivability with comparable speed and acceleration. The autoloader has too long a pause between shots to dump your clip without getting mauled, unless you do it form behind the lines. And even then, the accuracy and pen of the gun are unreliable. At long range, you can count on maybe one of your four shots landing for damage. Unlike the IS-8, though, it will have its moments. If it has a full clip and is at the right place at the right time it will change the course of the battle.

The M103 and E75 are the most reliable T9s at the moment. Both have turrets that are very hard to crack and can bounce front hull shots. An well-angled E75 is a lost cause to pen front on unless you're using gold and have good aim. Both have great, reliable guns. The E75 hits harder, but slower and with less pen. The M103 has a faster firing, higher pen gun that does less damage. Personally, I prefer the M103's gun.

I would say right now, if you have to play only one line, the main American heavy line is the best way to go. Starting with the T29, you will play an outstanding tank at your tier for the rest of your grind.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
IS-8 is a paper tank, which is why I sold it. I was getting penned frontally by tier 7 and tier 8 guns if I even angle my tank the slightest, and I didn't need another "medium" tank in my garage. You literally have to be straight on with your targets to bounce. They had buffed the tank armor-wise since I sold it but it's laughable to think you can bounce any sort of rounds reliably.

Don't bother with IS-7: T110E5 is superior in every way (except for speed post buff) AND it has gun depression.

The M103 isn't the same as the T32 at all but its a pretty decent tank. The turret is huge and somewhat squishy (but it can still bounce lots of shells) and its fairly nimble. The hull armor, believe it or not, is worse than the T32's. The bottom glacis is huge and extremely soft. It's got worse gun depression but the top gun is extremely nice... barring the normal american gun misses. It has enough to hull down in critical spots though. In comparison, I think the M103 is a far superior tank compared to the IS8.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Like the sounds, which sound mod are you using?

I use historical realism mod. Doesn't have track or engine sounds though. It has nice reloading sounds, sounds really cool when you can hear the shells getting loaded. :)

http://historicalrealism.blogspot.com/

Also which minimap mod are you using, and what improvements does it have over the stock?

Historical Realism Guns Sound
GnomeFather's Engine Pack

Can't remember the mini-mods, will look when I am back home again.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Oh didn't know he came back to work on this stuff. I used to use the engine pack but it stopped working at around 8.2.

Will definitely take a look, thanks!

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Good round in my T28 Prot, Patrol Duty was cool. I guess full 100% camo crew helped me out as I was hidin in bushez, spotten their tankz:

k8i7tSS.jpg

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I wish they would go ahead and post the specials for this 2 year anniversary crap. I'de like to buy some more garage slots and a few more tanks, but I'm not going to do that with the rumors flying that lots of crap is going to be half off. I need to start grinding down the british TD lines and probably get me some of the lower tier british mediums. I'm also looking forward to what these new german tanks are going to be like. I'm not a fan of my E50, so it wont take much for me to move that crew over to the new medium line.

I'm also sitting on that fine line of getting my next % in my w/r. So hopefully by the end of today I'll be sitting at 62%. I'de love to hit 70% one day, but according to some quick calculations it looks like it would take me around 20,000 more games, so that wont happen this year.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
there's going to be a 2nd medium line for german? sweet
i dislike the e50 as well