[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 312 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I am getting real sick of the poor matchmaking on the vk3601....you are almost ALWAYS thrown into level 8 battles.

Yeah, you can get a high piercing gun on that but it does like 80 damage only unless you hit a critical area. Good luck taking out a 1500hp tank with that D:

I've been using the 8.8cm with good effect, when you are top tier you can shred tanks like the KV1 and M4. Anything beneath that will be childs play.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
So, I bit on the Super Pershing last night. OMG is this tank fun to play. With the spaced armor up front, I was absorbing shots left and right. The gun is a little less powerful than I'm used to @ tier 8 in my Tiger II, but it makes up for it with the difference in cash from matches. Whereas I will get 10k credits on win with the Tiger II, and lose money on a loss (not even using gold rounds!), I was pulling in 50k+ a match with the Super Pershing.

If anyone out there is considering a gold-tank purchase, if you plan on doing any American Mediums, definitely get the Pershing to grind credits while leveling up your crew!

I bet there are still plenty of players who don't know how to shoot the Super Pershing. To hurt the SuPer you really have to aim. I always avoid trading shots with a SuPer over long distance unless I have a shot at its side. In close distance I'm not afraid of it though coz it's easy to aim closeup, plus its slow and its gun is not very powerful. I especially love face-hug the SuPer in my KV5 coz KV5 is so tall that it can shoot the top of the SuPer easily.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I am getting real sick of the poor matchmaking on the vk3601....you are almost ALWAYS thrown into level 8 battles.

Yeah, you can get a high piercing gun on that but it does like 80 damage only unless you hit a critical area. Good luck taking out a 1500hp tank with that D:

I've been using the 8.8cm with good effect, when you are top tier you can shred tanks like the KV1 and M4. Anything beneath that will be childs play.

Honestly the 3601 is meant to be played with the konisch and gold rounds. You won't make any credits doing it, but you wont regret seeing tier 8s. 225 pen goes through tier 8s easily with little aiming for weakspots neccessary. And if you do need to aim for weakspots, the gun is very accurate. This is a tank you play for fun, not to grind through.

If you are not going to use the konisch and all gold, then the M6 is probably the better choice of tanks. The 90 works great for penning tier 6/7s and the retarded 245 pen gold rounds can be reserved for tier 8 tanks. So you'll almost always make money. While for the konisch its gold or nothing really, since the regular rounds do significantly less damage.

The bonus of the vk in higher tier battles, is that if tanks are already engaged you tend to be ignored. For some reason plinking for 165 dam every 4 seconds seems to register more as a minor annoyance than a real threat. Your DPM is rather impressive for a tier 6, so if left unharassed, you'de be surprised how easily you can burn down tier 8 tanks.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I stopped playing my M103 except for 3x or 5x weekends. It's extra vulnerable to arty due to thin armor and its not nimble enough to dodge arty shots. It's an arty-favorite: slow, poorly armored (it relies on weird armor angles) but dangerous. Killing one in an arty makes you feel a great sense of accomplishment and every arty plus their mom will shoot you if you're spotted since its very easy to get a penetrating hit on it.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
In close distance I'm not afraid of it though coz it's easy to aim closeup, plus its slow and its gun is not very powerful.

Yeah, I don't get any really big "WOW" hits, like I do with my Tiger II.

But even on some of the worse teams I got last night, where we ended up losing and the other team still had 8-10+ tanks in play, I still pulled some decent credits and racked up some good damage. I feel smaller in the tank, and like much less of a high-profile target as in my Tiger II, also.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
This is actually a great point. I was thinking about this the other day as well. I have sold all my T10s and only play PII,Type 59, E50, and E75. Being a T10 has been annoying for months. T9s have a 50% shot at getting into games with limited arty + T10s. Panther II and Type 59 are passable as the majority of their games are T8-9. But the lower one goes the more enjoyable this game is. I had a great time in my T6 Hellcat the other night. I am tempted to rebuy the PZIII-IV. And probably get the derp M4 until they nerf it. Derps are worth the laugh every time.

Between the 3-5 arty per side and this new wonder weapon and losing money even in wins. Why play high T10 games anymore?

Yeah, plus the high costs of T10 are reflected in many peoples playstyle, they will sit behind a rock for 10 minutes rather than take damage which can make for incredibly boring games. Lower tiers people are all over the map, taking chances, flanking, rushing the arty, falling off cliffs, drowning in lakes, it just makes for a far faster paced fun experience :awe:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Like others I do see where as you go up in higher tiers it gets less fun. IMHO the problem is that the higher you go up the more arty you see in a battle. I have a few T9s and one T10 and a few T10s already researched but not bought. Why don't I go ahead and play them? Too damn many arty in the battles. I'm sorry, I just dont like a game where my big ass tank with a big gun dies trying to hide from some guy on the far end of the map and I die without getting to fire a shot. That's not fun for me. When there is only one or two arty per side then its not so bad. I like those battles because I have a chance to actually get out and battle other tanks.

The M103 is a great tank. If you can get into a low arty battle the tank really shines. I don't play it often enough though. Too many arty in those battles. Its one of those tanks you hope you get into a city map. Thats sad when you hope you get into a city battle just to be able to hide from arty.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I will still play one tier 10 almost daily... and that is the JPE. I imagine that I would play the new brit tier 10 td daily as well. Something about ultra high alpha tanks that I just love.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I will still play one tier 10 almost daily... and that is the JPE. I imagine that I would play the new brit tier 10 td daily as well. Something about ultra high alpha tanks that I just love.

Hitting for over 1k damage is just euphoric. Your brain goes nuts when it sees that extra digit. I think its why people play arty, just for that chance. For some reason I might be tempted to get that british TD, just for its pure OP one shotness. I have enough xp to convert to come close probably if wanted to really really have it.

edit:
oh here is my replay of my vk3601 game for 3210xp
youtube link here
end of game snapshot below
N1IL1XW.jpg

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
He is talking about the new British T10 TD. That shoots for arty damage but has armor and hp.

But but but at least you might spot him before he one shots you. I'm almost certain this tank will break the game. I also hope they put it in special MM bracket of tier 11-12 (exclude 10), so I never have to see this bastard on my tier 8 tanks, and its always stuck in games full of arty.

Once this tank hits the masses, the whining is going to be deafining.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
But but but at least you might spot him before he one shots you. I'm almost certain this tank will break the game. I also hope they put it in special MM bracket of tier 11-12 (exclude 10), so I never have to see this bastard on my tier 8 tanks, and its always stuck in games full of arty.

Once this tank hits the masses, the whining is going to be deafining.

That's why God invented the T29. I am home sick and been soloing a bit. Man the 29 is boss mode. Took on an E50 with a 121 supporting it and lived, then had to deal with an IS3 and finally an E75. Watching an E75 bounce is just... mystical.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
That's why God invented the T29. I am home sick and been soloing a bit. Man the 29 is boss mode. Took on an E50 with a 121 supporting it and lived, then had to deal with an IS3 and finally an E75. Watching an E75 bounce is just... mystical.

In trained hands its quite the pub stomper. In non-trained hands it one of the easiest tier 7s to kill. I need to play mine more. I wish they would have a credit bonus weekend with it.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

He not shooting you right. It's hard to pen a T-29's turret, I'll give you that... but it can be done.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
He not shooting you right. It's hard to pen a T-29's turret, I'll give you that... but it can be done.

Yeah just blast its face with HE or, if you got the creds, gold rounds. T29s can be tough but not impossible to deal with. You just got to know what to do when you encounter one is all. I love sniping these guys.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
shooting a t29s turret frontally is a wasted shot. The only real weakspot when he's looking right at you is the cupola, which isn't an easy shot, especially if the T29s on higher ground. Now if the t29 isn't looking at you, the turret can be penned reliably.

Skott, shooting a T29s turret with HE is also a waste. You would be lucky to do any damage at all unless its a KV-2 derp, even then, damage would be minimal. Gold rounds wont help either, with 279 armor and the gun mantlet, your chances of penning are still quite low.

We did well yesterday Possessed. Won 16 of 19 games. Even got you a win on your T28.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
We did well yesterday Possessed. Won 16 of 19 games. Even got you a win on your T28.

Yep, and I know I caused one of our defeats too (El Halluf and the grinder don't agree with me). I am going to curse myself right now, so I am knocking on wood as I say it, the E2 has not lost a game in a long time. I know I don't deal as much damage in it as you do in the VK, but I love being a target and absorbing punishment while pissing off opponents with the little 76.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Got the E-100 unlocked...now I only need to grind 5 mill credtis...time to dust of the Löwe...

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah just blast its face with HE or, if you got the creds, gold rounds. T29s can be tough but not impossible to deal with. You just got to know what to do when you encounter one is all. I love sniping these guys.

Was thinking copula. And if you're close enough, shooting the "cheeks" with a high pen gun works as well. In a lowe you can hit the copula fairly reliably at 100~200 meters.

I never shoot HE unless the tank has like 20 hp left. Even then HE has been nerfed so much that I fully expect 0 damage hits and bounces if it hits the turret or upper glacis of anything.

Also: not sure if this is old news or not, but more arty nerf coming. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=5F8WUFgHnAI

Last edited:

cheez

Golden Member
Nov 19, 2010
How does this game compare to the Battlefield 1942 in terms of playability and control of the tank? Is it better?

thanks!

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
So, any advice for someone who's just starting off? I'm working my way up the American light tank & tank destroyer tree.