[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 311 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
how is it to play WoT on a 27'' screen?

right now im on a 21" 4:3 1600x1200

Love it. It's great for any game, really, pretty immersing. Just have to have the GPU power for it. I can max this game with just one card and it plays great. Close up smoke effects cause a slowdown though, GPU usage drops and CPU spikes briefly at those points, which means the single thread this game runs on is limiting.

Still a great gaming experience though :thumbup:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have a I-Inc 28" 1920 x 1200 LCD. Its beautiful! I may go 30" end of this year. Havent deicided if to go single monitor upgrade or try triple screen of some sort.

Edit: Early today we had a power failure in my neighborhood. The short blip somehow took out my FIOS Internet box in the garage. I have to wait until tomorrow afternoon before Verizon Tech can get a look at the FIOS box. So I'm going to miss a day or two of online gaming. Grrrrr... I really wanted to play around with the Panther tank too. I switched to the long 75mm since I never tried it. I'm liking how well it pens. The short 88mm has decent damage but it fails to pen too often even at short ranges.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Despite the low pen and odd damage rolls (277, really?!) I love this thing...3k self damage and 3k spotting damage.

Victory!
Battle: Erlenberg יום*שני 18 פברואר 2013 09:46:45
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 1,834
Credits received: 61,431

*cough*
With the right MM, this thing is OP.

Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line יום*שני 18 פברואר 2013 10:56:58
Vehicle: T32
Experience received: 2,202
Credits received: 74,227 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 3,120)
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Top Gun, Sniper, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
No...idiots that started a stupid rumor...based on...well...idocracy and low I.Q.
It's due to that the E-50 gun clips the hull...it will be back to normal in next test-round (Fixed model).

People whine too much in WoT...

Not a rumor at all, but others have already chimed in. During test 1 the depression is 0 and -2 for E-50 and E-50M. Only if you angle your tank 25 degrees will the depression go back to normal (plus another -2 degrees).

They also specifically said HESH will NOT get toned down, although the rounds are supposedly terrible vs spaced armor and slanted armor. So get ready for your tier X mediums to get 1 shotted.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
According to developer notes, 1750 HESH is staying.

And people will scream bloody murder. What will they do then? Eventually they will have to react to the many complaints from players. And they will get a lot of complaints. Even the Devs know they can say no only so so long. At some point its going to get nerfed in some way to balance things out. If not changed in testing then after its release.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
And people will scream bloody murder. What will they do then? Eventually they will have to react to the many complaints from players. And they will get a lot of complaints. Even the Devs know they can say no only so so long. At some point its going to get nerfed in some way to balance things out. If not changed in testing then after its release.

It will go as it always goes.
Next patch they look at WR of tanks.
And nerf those that exceeed 50% winrate too much.

As always.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
It will go as it always goes.
Next patch they look at WR of tanks.
And nerf those that exceeed 50% winrate too much.

As always.

Ya, its likely to appease those who bought gold to get these new overpowered tanks in the first place.

Later once those people have had their fun they will appease the masses by nerfing the OP tanks to be more in line.

Then the cycle repeats :)

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
They may keep the retarded 1750 HESH damage, but they need to seriously nerf the aim time, moving dispersion, and the center heaviness of the gun. I had no problems hitting enemies with this tank on the test server. I also one shotted an IS-7 and 268 from full health. That IS-7s spaced armor didn't help him one bit. Besides those one hit shots, I did numerous 1600+hp hits. Its not really that much of a gamble. Pen for 1600+, or don't and still do 600-850 or so. Not to mention in the after battle stats, every tank I hit had 2-3 critical modules damaged. This will just be another reason to try and stay away from tier 10 games.

On a happier note, I got a new high xp over the weekend. 3210 xp (premium, undoubled) with my vk3601 on steppes in a tier 8 game. I went east and hid behind the rock, and the team ignored me for "greater" threats, while I plinked away. 4800+ damage and 1500+ spotting mostly all to tier 7s and 8s. I was quite surprised when I saw the xp screen, I even thought it was doubled at first.

I also broke down and bought an IS-6. Well a platoon of these is just beastly. I easily printed out a good 3 million over the weekend with this tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Now you get direct fire arties everywhere with enough hp to soak up hits and do more damage than a t92, yay.

Wargaming needs to realize getting 1-2 shotted is NOT FUN. If I want to play a game where I get 1-2 shotted I'd go play a ww2 tank simulator.

I feel like wargaming is trying to troll people crying about arty by giving them something else to cry about. Think about it, you see one of these and you'll be crying for arty to kill them. Have 2 of these in any tank alleys and it'll become effectively impassible. It's already hard enough to charge JPE100s, now you get to charge their british versions that can 1 shot tier 10s with gold.

I'm glad I don't play tier 10 games much and haven't bought ANY tier 10 tanks other than the free IS4 I got... and now it looks like I won't be getting a T-62 either.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Now you get direct fire arties everywhere with enough hp to soak up hits and do more damage than a t92, yay.

Wargaming needs to realize getting 1-2 shotted is NOT FUN. If I want to play a game where I get 1-2 shotted I'd go play a ww2 tank simulator.

I feel like wargaming is trying to troll people crying about arty by giving them something else to cry about. Think about it, you see one of these and you'll be crying for arty to kill them. Have 2 of these in any tank alleys and it'll become effectively impassible. It's already hard enough to charge JPE100s, now you get to charge their british versions that can 1 shot tier 10s with gold.

I'm glad I don't play tier 10 games much and haven't bought ANY tier 10 tanks other than the free IS4 I got... and now it looks like I won't be getting a T-62 either.

Ill bet the majority of players are the same. As tier goes up fun decreases... I mostly tool around in my type 59 because it dosent lose credits or play noob tiers nowadays. The IS4/E75/*insert other beast tank here* rarely gets out of the garage. KV4 occasionally because its awesome now but thats it.

mrnotwo

Feb 5, 2013
Ill bet the majority of players are the same. As tier goes up fun decreases... I mostly tool around in my type 59 because it dosent lose credits or play noob tiers nowadays. The IS4/E75/*insert other beast tank here* rarely gets out of the garage. KV4 occasionally because its awesome now but thats it.
Maybe the issue is not the tier but type of tanks. I rarely play my tier 10 heavies as well. But I really enjoy playing AMX 50b, t62a, o268 etc.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The "traditional" heavies are no longer fun to pay because of increased power creep. IS4, IS7, Maus... all the "old" heavies are now too slow to avoid being gibbed by huge arty and huge TDs. The maus is especially worthless now that its armor doesn't mean much with all the new tier 10 mediums. Is4 has shit for armor and IS7 is no longer invincible even from the front anymore.

My reason though is because I don't feel like fighting against 5 tier 11 and 12 arties. Charge out, get "sniped" by 3 arties is not fun. Tier 10 games always turn into "who has the bravest batchat/T54/T62 that can spot the 3-4 arties on the other team."

gammaray

Jul 30, 2006
The "traditional" heavies are no longer fun to pay because of increased power creep. IS4, IS7, Maus... all the "old" heavies are now too slow to avoid being gibbed by huge arty and huge TDs. The maus is especially worthless now that its armor doesn't mean much with all the new tier 10 mediums. Is4 has shit for armor and IS7 is no longer invincible even from the front anymore.

My reason though is because I don't feel like fighting against 5 tier 11 and 12 arties. Charge out, get "sniped" by 3 arties is not fun. Tier 10 games always turn into "who has the bravest batchat/T54/T62 that can spot the 3-4 arties on the other team."

yes, that's why it was ridiculous for WG to turn arty into snipers. Makes their own fine game of tanks total BS.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
So, I bit on the Super Pershing last night. OMG is this tank fun to play. With the spaced armor up front, I was absorbing shots left and right. The gun is a little less powerful than I'm used to @ tier 8 in my Tiger II, but it makes up for it with the difference in cash from matches. Whereas I will get 10k credits on win with the Tiger II, and lose money on a loss (not even using gold rounds!), I was pulling in 50k+ a match with the Super Pershing.

If anyone out there is considering a gold-tank purchase, if you plan on doing any American Mediums, definitely get the Pershing to grind credits while leveling up your crew!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
yes, that's why it was ridiculous for WG to turn arty into snipers. Makes their own fine game of tanks total BS.

Yeah, I laugh when people say "WELL ARTY NEEDS LOTS OF TIME TO AIM" and "THEY'RE NOT THAT ACCURATE". They're basically orbital death cannons that pigeon hole tanks into very specific spots on the map, which reduces the playable areas and force people into camping those specific areas.

The most fun games are games without arty. You actually have to strategically flank and exploit holes in the enemy's team.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I still hate arty. At least in anything below tier 10 the number of arty is very managable at 1-2, or sometimes none at all. The tier 10 games are almost always 3-5 arty. I understand they are a somewhat neccessary evil, but the whole ability to one shot tanks on a "lucky" shot needs to stop. The course of the game shouldn't depend on a lucky arty shot or 2.

I got one shotted 3 games in a row over the weekend. I was moving and everything, and bam, dead. Most of the time it seems to be that damn lorraine arty. I"m just trying to have a fun shoot out, and its ruined. I'm glad they all got nerfed, but I hope they keep the nerf bat swinging.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I don't know why lorraines are so deadly. Do they have higher pen or something? the ones that are doing major damage to me are always the lorraines or soviet arty (but that's because soviet arties do like 2k+ damage on a pen...).

I'd much rather arty be able to blanket a whole entire area with explosions as opposed to 1-2 shotting things like guided missiles. It'll probably feel more awesome as well, seeing explosions everywhere as you gamble driving your tank through them. But the current mechanics probably wouldn't support something like this.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

This is actually a great point. I was thinking about this the other day as well. I have sold all my T10s and only play PII,Type 59, E50, and E75. Being a T10 has been annoying for months. T9s have a 50% shot at getting into games with limited arty + T10s. Panther II and Type 59 are passable as the majority of their games are T8-9. But the lower one goes the more enjoyable this game is. I had a great time in my T6 Hellcat the other night. I am tempted to rebuy the PZIII-IV. And probably get the derp M4 until they nerf it. Derps are worth the laugh every time.

Between the 3-5 arty per side and this new wonder weapon and losing money even in wins. Why play high T10 games anymore?

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
This is actually a great point. I was thinking about this the other day as well. I have sold all my T10s and only play PII,Type 59, E50, and E75. Being a T10 has been annoying for months. T9s have a 50% shot at getting into games with limited arty + T10s. Panther II and Type 59 are passable as the majority of their games are T8-9. But the lower one goes the more enjoyable this game is. I had a great time in my T6 Hellcat the other night. I am tempted to rebuy the PZIII-IV. And probably get the derp M4 until they nerf it. Derps are worth the laugh every time.

Between the 3-5 arty per side and this new wonder weapon and losing money even in wins. Why play high tier games anymore?

I feel exactly the same way. I dont even bother doing my doubles most days on my tier 10s. It feels too much like a chore. Most games you're just that mole driving around for the arties to wack. I haven't taken my IS-4/7 out of my garage in months, since they are just too slow and outdated. It just isn't any fun. It like the only point of having tier 10 tanks is for CW.