[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 304 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ddjkdg

Dec 22, 2001
Already 100+ clans entered into each landing tournament in North America and still have all day left. This is going to be a shitshow.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh, I have over 100 mbs worth of tank skins. Can't stand looking at the same colors on every single tank... :p

I had one of those "terribad" games yesterday. Our team did a total of 2k damage before we got steam rolled... 1.5k of that was from my patton, and that damage was on 2 scouts that were rummaging through our backyard.

I mentioned patton... yes. This is a tier 9-10 game. I just can't seem to catch a break in my patton. Have over 60% win rate in my e-50 (which people say sucks) whereas the supposedly superior patton is just being a dog.

I know what you mean. I get that going from tank to tank. Tiger II, great tank, bad win rate(46%). IS3, great tank, 60+% win rate. Panther I, horrible tank, scary bad win rate(36%). Panther II, great tank awesome win rate(68+%). E50, great tank, avg win rate(50%). E-75, great tank, good win rate(62%). E8, fun tank, good win rate(60%). T20, avg to above avg tank, good win rate(57%). Pershing, good tank, horrible win rate(42%).

The only thing I can come up with is MM puts these tanks into different matches that arent favorable. And there are subtle differences in the tank that needs to be learned to get the most out of the tank.

The E50 I had a scary bad win rate through the first 100 games. It was sitting right around 38%. But I finally got used to its attributes, strengths, weaknesses. The next 150 games got me to 50%. But still, it seems to have more fail teams than say my M103, or Type 59. Why? I have no idea and that is the frustrating part for me.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I know what you mean. I get that going from tank to tank. Tiger II, great tank, bad win rate(46%). IS3, great tank, 60+% win rate. Panther I, horrible tank, scary bad win rate(36%). Panther II, great tank awesome win rate(68+%). E50, great tank, avg win rate(50%). E-75, great tank, good win rate(62%). E8, fun tank, good win rate(60%). T20, avg to above avg tank, good win rate(57%). Pershing, good tank, horrible win rate(42%).

The only thing I can come up with is MM puts these tanks into different matches that arent favorable. And there are subtle differences in the tank that needs to be learned to get the most out of the tank.

The E50 I had a scary bad win rate through the first 100 games. It was sitting right around 38%. But I finally got used to its attributes, strengths, weaknesses. The next 150 games got me to 50%. But still, it seems to have more fail teams than say my M103, or Type 59. Why? I have no idea and that is the frustrating part for me.

Funny thing is, I looked at every single one of our tier 10 tanks afterwards.

Is7? 0 damage, 0 shots fired.
T-62A? 0 damage, 1 shot fired.
IS4? 100~ damage (somehow? HE round maybe?), 1 shot fired, dead.
IS8? 0 damage, 4-5 shots fired.

so on and so forth. How the fuck do you screw up like that? I had 5 shots fired, 4 hits.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

so on and so forth. How the fuck do you screw up like that? I had 5 shots fired, 4 hits.

Face rolled to T10 or bots.

Sometimes I miss the EQ\DAOC\Ultima Online style of advancement. When you screw up bad, you lose exp and dont advance at all. DAOC was great like that. By the time the early 40s came around the idiots and rejects were weeded out because they literally couldnt advance. Or they would get with the program and become productive game players in a MP game. Either way the result were lvl 50s who knew how to play the game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
yup. With enough dedication and a big enough credit card limit, you can faceroll your way to a tier 10 or bot to tier 10 with zero effort. I'm seeing way too many sub 500s in tier 9s and 10s lately. Not surprisingly, these are the "people" (might be bots) that have over 10-20k battles, since you'd need that many games of 100-150 exp wins to get a tier 9/10.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003

Must have a lot of high tier arties I guess. The scouts probably light them up and arties finished them off quickly. The few unsuccessful shots they fired may be aiming at the scouts. Maybe couple of the players were bots or afk. Sometimes ppl walk away from their computer and the game started and a scout came in so quickly to light them up, and by the time they come back to play they already KO'ed by arty.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
What is really annoying me is the lopsided games I am seeing since getting back. Either we curb stomp them or we get curb stomped. There is very little in between. That is imo a failure in the MM.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Must have a lot of high tier arties I guess. The scouts probably light them up and arties finished them off quickly. The few unsuccessful shots they fired may be aiming at the scouts. Maybe couple of the players were bots or afk. Sometimes ppl walk away from their computer and the game started and a scout came in so quickly to light them up, and by the time they come back to play they already KO'ed by arty.

I wish I can show you the replay, but no to arty. There was an M40/43 and a gwpanther (or something) on the other team and that's it. They died because of sheer incompetence. I was the only one in cover, the rest were just swiveling their turrets around like deers caught in headlights. (well, "cover"... I was using some hills for hulling down)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
This weekend its all about my M36 Jackson. Extra creds and extra crew training. Doublly blessed. I love this tank to death. If it had the speed of the hellcat it would be the perfect tank destoyer IMO. Unfortunately what was to be my four day weekend off is sort of messed up since my coworker decided to take off and I volunteered to work in his place. Less game time but overtime for me! Cha-Ching!!

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Sold IS-7, rebought my favorite tank the Panther II!!!!!!!!!

Next up, rebuying the E-75. At the point in this game where it is all about fun.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Why does this game have so many bratty, bitchy whiners? I don't get it. In game and on forums, so many wannabe elitist idiots have their collective vagina full of sand. I think it's hilarious :D /observation

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
What is really annoying me is the lopsided games I am seeing since getting back. Either we curb stomp them or we get curb stomped. There is very little in between. That is imo a failure in the MM.

Once things start going against a team, its seems quite a few people just give up. They just want to die, and get to the next game. When you are a 45%er this is valid reasoning.

Why does this game have so many bratty, bitchy whiners? I don't get it. In game and on forums, so many wannabe elitist idiots have their collective vagina full of sand. I think it's hilarious /observation

I think you just described every online game that has ever existed. Just remember winrate is all luck, and CAP FAST my friend.

Last edited:

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
Sold IS-7, rebought my favorite tank the Panther II!!!!!!!!!

Next up, rebuying the E-75. At the point in this game where it is all about fun.
Fun sounds like the right way to approach this game.

So tell me what makes the Panther II and the E-75 fun for you? How do you like to play it to maximize your fun? I'm just curious as I've got the Panther II researched and trying to decide if I should buy it.

I liked the Panther and had fun with it in those long distance sniper engagements though I felt the alpha on its best gun was a bit underwhelming especially when forced into brawls.

Do you think the best gun, the long 88 (the same gun available on the tier 7 Tiger(H)), on the Panther II works on a tier 8 medium tank?

I have an IS-3. At the moment. I'm on the fence on where to spend the credits for a 2nd tier 8 tank. The tanks I have researched (or really close to) are the Panther II, Tiger II, KV-4, JagPanther II, Ferdinand, T32, and M26. I'm leaning towards the Tiger II since I've read good things about it and it leads up to the E-75 (which sounds pretty awesome).

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I really enjoyed the Panther II last Spring on my way to the E50. But sold it to fund buying the E50. Always wanted to get back into one. And decided from now on going to run German + M103. My Sat night didnt fair so well though. Ended it with a win% of 30 in the poor thing. I apologized to the tank lol

I like the German tanks in general. Their guns are quicker to target and have better accuracy for the most part. The Panther II is nice because it can actually move around the battlefield unlike the Panther and turns decently enough for a German tank. I wouldnt expect its armor to do much against T7-8s or higher. But it can deflect a shot or two. The long 88 is probably the most versatile gun in the game. Roll with gold as the PII can hold 60 rounds in case you get tossed into a T10 match. I run 45AP, 15 gold rounds on mine.

I play mine like a mobile gun platform. Do not get into trading shots with anybody if you dont have to. Use the speed of the thing to reposition.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Fun sounds like the right way to approach this game.

So tell me what makes the Panther II and the E-75 fun for you? How do you like to play it to maximize your fun? I'm just curious as I've got the Panther II researched and trying to decide if I should buy it.

I liked the Panther and had fun with it in those long distance sniper engagements though I felt the alpha on its best gun was a bit underwhelming especially when forced into brawls.

Do you think the best gun, the long 88 (the same gun available on the tier 7 Tiger(H)), on the Panther II works on a tier 8 medium tank?

I have an IS-3. At the moment. I'm on the fence on where to spend the credits for a 2nd tier 8 tank. The tanks I have researched (or really close to) are the Panther II, Tiger II, KV-4, JagPanther II, Ferdinand, T32, and M26. I'm leaning towards the Tiger II since I've read good things about it and it leads up to the E-75 (which sounds pretty awesome).

Panther II: 8,8 cm KwK 36 L/56
Tiger (H+P): 8,8 cm KwK 43 L/71

No the same gun...penetration/RoF/damage is not the same.

I like the Panther II, fast flanker...but I like the E-50 more ^^

E-75 is like a Tiger II...just better amour, less weakspots and powerfull gun..but a slow reloader.
Play it like is were a Tiger II...and this tnak excells.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I like the Panther II, fast flanker...but I like the E-50 more ^^

E-75 is like a Tiger II...just better amour, less weakspots and powerfull gun..but a slow reloader.
Play it like is were a Tiger II...and this tnak excells.

Panther II gets the L71 as the top gun.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Panther 2 has the L/71. It's also one of the few tanks in my garage where I achieved 65% solo pub wins.

The panther 2 is very mobile, has great accuracy and can relocate to great effect. The gun is punchy and fires fast enough to be a threat DPM wise. You won't out-brawl a pershing or a T-44 for sure, but if a tank shows you their sides you can put 2-3 rounds into him before he knew what happened. The camo value is merely ok, so expect to be spotted often.

The L71 is one of the best guns in the game, it can penetrate tier 9s in the front if you know where to shoot, and it's accurate enough for you to hit those weak spots. It's also a very heavy medium, so you can ram things if you want to. ;)

Like the panther: Do NOT brawl with this tank. It has ammo racks on the sides like all german tanks, and if you show someone your sides you will almost certainly get damaged racks.

Also just rebought the T-29 since it's on sale. Time for fun!

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Hey, regarding the sale...I want some low level fun, which is better all around, the T1HT or M6 for casual trolling?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
both suck, but if you HAVE to pick I'd say the m6 is pretty good for trolling. I'd pick the t-29 if you can personally.

Sidenote: T-69 has surprisingly good armor on the turret... my type 59 couldn't pen it frontally for some reason, had to shoot the hull.

mclee025

Apr 9, 2012
Thanks for the great tips and experiences on the Panther II guys. It sounds like a tank I'd have a lot of fun with (the best reason to play) so it's pushed its way back on top of my to get list.