[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 305 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Hey, regarding the sale...I want some low level fun, which is better all around, the T1HT or M6 for casual trolling?

I would not play a tier 5 unless it was a HEAT shooting M4/PZ4. The fact that you can be two shotted by those tanks makes that tier not fun to play. M6 is not bad, it has troll armor a great gun in the 90mm, and a good engine. But it is overshadowed by the KV1S and KV2.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah the HEAT rounds have changed the mid tiers dramatically. Unless you're a super mobile tank like the e8 or the cromwell, it's hard to go up against heat rounds.

Although the KV2's derp rounds are better for tier 8 matches rather than tier 5. At tier 5 the 107 is much better for killing everything. The 152 reloads too slowly and is too inaccurate in comparison to 105s.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah the HEAT rounds have changed the mid tiers dramatically. Unless you're a super mobile tank like the e8 or the cromwell, it's hard to go up against heat rounds.

Although the KV2's derp rounds are better for tier 8 matches rather than tier 5. At tier 5 the 107 is much better for killing everything. The 152 reloads too slowly and is too inaccurate in comparison to 105s.

Since I roll mostly in a VK2801 with 21 HEAT rounds and 21 HE rounds I can only say this:
You like tanks that sit still...hitting moving targets...is more luck than skill.

And using HEAT will drain money...even with premium and wins.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
You'll usually break even or slightly above using HEAT in a tier 5 tank with premium. If you miss a whole bunch, well then you can easily be out 10-20k. If its at range, and it moves, its not easy. The gun is also amazingly accurate considering how large the circle still is when fully aimed. They do excel at brawling and with a 6.6 sec reload, equal tiered tanks are dead fast.

Also the M6 is a good tier 6 tank if you need to make credits. The 90 doesn't require gold use at all, unless you want to pen tier 8 tanks frontally. It also leads to the T29, which is probably one of the best tier 7s in the game.

The panther, panther2, E50. Ugh. You can feel your modules breaking just from tanks looking your direction. You would also think those things are made of kindling and doused in gasoline. The panther 2 will lose a fight to any other tier 8, and while it may be a good sniper, its camo sucks, and once spotted, nothing really bounces off it.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
You'll usually break even or slightly above using HEAT in a tier 5 tank with premium. If you miss a whole bunch, well then you can easily be out 10-20k. If its at range, and it moves, its not easy. The gun is also amazingly accurate considering how large the circle still is when fully aimed. They do excel at brawling and with a 6.6 sec reload, equal tiered tanks are dead fast.

Also the M6 is a good tier 6 tank if you need to make credits. The 90 doesn't require gold use at all, unless you want to pen tier 8 tanks frontally. It also leads to the T29, which is probably one of the best tier 7s in the game.

The panther, panther2, E50. Ugh. You can feel your modules breaking just from tanks looking your direction. You would also think those things are made of kindling and doused in gasoline. The panther 2 will lose a fight to any other tier 8, and while it may be a good sniper, its camo sucks, and once spotted, nothing really bounces off it.

Remember to take into account the number of HEAT rounds that bounce..or don't pen.
Had 3 x dings on an E-75...had to take him down with HE.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Playing a pershing for as long as I have, I can say that the panther 2 can be difficult to pen frontally if he's angled properly. You won't be bouncing heavy shells, but the russian and american medium guns will bounce if they hit your upper glacis, and even the 105 from the T-29 and T-32 will bounce fairly easily from a distance.

The problem is the paper thin side armor: you don't want to get shot anywhere besides the front. The typical engagement distance for my panther/2 is well over 300-400m away: any closer and the 122s start hitting you with great accuracy.

In comparison to the pershing (0 armor and dead crew all over) and to the T-44 (moving ammo rack), I'm not sure which tank has it worse... I love the gun depression on the american tanks in general though, opens up a lot of options in terms of usable terrain and makes the game more fun for me.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Playing a pershing for as long as I have, I can say that the panther 2 can be difficult to pen frontally if he's angled properly. You won't be bouncing heavy shells, but the russian and american medium guns will bounce if they hit your upper glacis, and even the 105 from the T-29 and T-32 will bounce fairly easily from a distance.

The problem is the paper thin side armor: you don't want to get shot anywhere besides the front. The typical engagement distance for my panther/2 is well over 300-400m away: any closer and the 122s start hitting you with great accuracy.

In comparison to the pershing (0 armor and dead crew all over) and to the T-44 (moving ammo rack), I'm not sure which tank has it worse... I love the gun depression on the american tanks in general though, opens up a lot of options in terms of usable terrain and makes the game more fun for me.

That goes for all german tanks...you really, really want your front/diamond shape towards the enemy.
Even though the Löwe is a potent sidescraper....either it bounces...or the tracks absorbs the shell.

And yes the shape of german tanks does teach you to angle you tank.,,or die

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I dunno, the lowe's side armor is too weak for me to side scrape effectively. Either I angle my side too much (gets penned) or I have to back out too much to get a shot (front gets penneD). Can't seem to win.

The only thing reliable is the upper glacis and the turret. I try to hull down as much as possible in the lowe, and it's extremely effective some maps... have 2-3 good games from the past few days where hulling down made my lowe the mvp. :p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have done some side scrapping with my E50. But it really isnt that effective. Best bet is to just stay well out of the line of fire in any German tank except the Maus or E75.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I dunno, the lowe's side armor is too weak for me to side scrape effectively. Either I angle my side too much (gets penned) or I have to back out too much to get a shot (front gets penneD). Can't seem to win.

The only thing reliable is the upper glacis and the turret. I try to hull down as much as possible in the lowe, and it's extremely effective some maps... have 2-3 good games from the past few days where hulling down made my lowe the mvp. :p

I'll try and go sidescraping in my Löwe and post a replay very soon then...perhaps you are in the wrong starting position.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
One of these days I will get to training american heavy tanks.... That said after all this time playing, I still only have 3 tier 8 tanks, no tier 9's or 10's. And it for the time being the tier 8's I have tend to suck compared to others (at least for now until I get guns that actually work).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
you should have a bunch of free exp leftover from random wins. As a general rule of thumb, save the free exp for when you need it, like on the PZIV.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Just one of those nights. Why does this happen? 5 straight rapes in my E50. I mean these games aren't even competitive. So effing annoying.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
you should have a bunch of free exp leftover from random wins. As a general rule of thumb, save the free exp for when you need it, like on the PZIV.

This, save the free exp while in the final grind of a tank and when you unlock the next, you should have enough free to help the start. Also remember, most tanks you can buy the 500k suspension kit so you don't need to research tracks to mount the bigger turret/gun.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
This, save the free exp while in the final grind of a tank and when you unlock the next, you should have enough free to help the start. Also remember, most tanks you can buy the 500k suspension kit so you don't need to research tracks to mount the bigger turret/gun.

Yup. Use 10 gold to dismount it later.

Actually, use 10 gold to dismount any and all modules you don't use. Best thing introduced into the game ever, especially when class 3 vents cost 600k.

There are a lot of tanks that are downright painful to play stock, while others aren't too bad if you did proper research on the tanks beforehand. (tiger II isn't too bad stock, and stug is ok with the 105 with gold rounds).

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Havn't had a map where I needed so sidescrape in my Löwe yet..odd LOL
And damn I am tired of n00bs.
Last game...did 4270 in damage...to no good as the team melted around me....doing nothing.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Havn't had a map where I needed so sidescrape in my Löwe yet..odd LOL
And damn I am tired of n00bs.
Last game...did 4270 in damage...to no good as the team melted around me....doing nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that if my platoon isn't responsible for more than half the kills, then its almost always a loss.

Heres a medal idea:

Strong Back: Carry your team to a win by doing more damage than your entire team combined.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
When I play my lowe and t-59, my goal is to make as much money as possible. I'm pretty much happy if I can pull in 30-40k in profits when my team melts around me. Typically I'm happier when I'm thinking "That was pretty decent, I made 40k even though my team are fucking idiots and didn't get any kills".

Sure you can think "If we won that would've been amazing", but there's only so much one tank can do.

Random example: ran out of shells on my T-59 the other day with 5 kills in a tier 8 match and had to resort to trying to ram an IS to death. Didn't work out well but I got 80k on a loss without premium.

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
Random example: ran out of shells on my T-59 the other day with 5 kills in a tier 8 match and had to resort to trying to ram an IS to death. Didn't work out well but I got 80k on a loss without premium.

This kind of thing makes me smile when it happens to me, though. In this instance, I wonder what the driver of the IS was thinking about that crazy kamikaze T-59, wondering when the gun was going to go off in his face.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The beauty of the Lowe is the gun. It is amazingly accurate, with good pen. Your ability to place shots on weak spots will allow you to get through T9s and T10s even from the front at very long ranges. The T34 may have more pen, but aiming time and accuracy will prevent you from hitting weak spots at range consistently. On the flanks or at medium range, though, the T34's gun does epic damage and will make just about anyone back off. The T34 is slightly easier to hull down I feel. It's only weak spot is the cupola and that's not very pronounced. The Lowe can be penetrated frontally to the left and right of the mantlet as well as its cupola.