[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 302 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ah the Leopard 1 mentality... any modern tank round can defeat any modern tank armor... so why worry about armor. And yet now this has gone full circle, Leo 2s are getting a massive armor upgrade, russian tanks have the explosive appliques to deter rounds, etc. One shot is not one kill all the time now.

Historically, aiming for center mass in ww2 tanks that did not have a superior gun were wasting shots. Sure you still took them when you needed to but you did nothing to the tank (just look at the amazing amount of hits KV1's took in the early engagements, hell even char B's just sat there and took hits).

Leopard 2's gun is so good at penetrationg, it's used in the Ambraham's series too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheinmetall_120_mm_gun#Rheinmetall_L55_120mm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M256
IT's THAT good....period.

Besides the armpur was fine enough on the Leopard 1A5DK:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_1#Denmark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bøllebank#cite_note-4
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Amanda

Beside it now replced by the Leopard 2A5DK (a Leopard 2A6...with modifications ^^):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWPJk-deHs

(My old regiment btw ^^)

BTW...real tankwarfare would be boring too most people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVq6VUj_clk

Last edited:

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Just had an epic game in my M46 Patton. With 8% left I turned the tide around by killing 3 tanks coming to base at our arties. At the end it was me and 1 arty against their only arty left. We decided the arty will go spot and I follow behind. We headed for their base and the arties spotted each other and their arty scored the kill. I followed right behind and kill their arty for the victory. Overall 5 kills, 5100+ damages, 1600+ spotting damages. First time I cracked 5k damage on any tank (dont have any tier 10 yet). M46 with camo paint and optics makes for a pretty good spotter and the 105 packs a punch.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Just had something odd happen...I ran out of regulear ammo...and had to use premium ammo in the end....damn flak cannons! LOL

Replay:
http://mwreplays.com/replay/ASN6ALKQ1HO2/

And yes I do stilll play from tier 1 and up every day.
On the RU server it's called Pedobearing.
On the US server it's called babyseal-clubbing.
On the EU I would call it Remmel-control...or just doing my daylies ^^

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The battle of 73 easting was against republican guard units. I think it showcased that western equipment was not only superior but so was our training and tactics. It wasnt even close. And there were reports of survivors being shell shocked at how fast and accurate we were.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

You mistake me, I am not disagreeing with you, I am stating that the Leo1 had little armor as the design assumed that any modern anti-tank round can penetrate any tank armor. My statement is that this is no longer the case. Modern designs are re-incorporating armor as they can now develop solutions to defeat the rounds that hit them.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
You mistake me, I am not disagreeing with you, I am stating that the Leo1 had little armor as the design assumed that any modern anti-tank round can penetrate any tank armor. My statement is that this is no longer the case. Modern designs are re-incorporating armor as they can now develop solutions to defeat the rounds that hit them.

It's an arms race...in 20 years, new rounds will be so powerfull no currnet amour can stop them.

Then someone will develop a new amour...rinse and repeat.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The battle of 73 easting was against republican guard units. I think it showcased that western equipment was not only superior but so was our training and tactics. It wasnt even close. And there were reports of survivors being shell shocked at how fast and accurate we were.

Being able to move at +50km/h towards the enemy and still being able to hit them....causes shock&awe.

Infact you don't even need to hit/kill the enemy.
Rommel encountered at lot of french tanks that his tanks couldn't kill in the low countires in 1940.

His solution:
Line up all his tanks...charge and fire on the go...and watch the enemy retreat in great haste.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It's an arms race...in 20 years, new rounds will be so powerfull no currnet amour can stop them.

Then someone will develop a new amour...rinse and repeat.

Ah, good information. I had thought all tank rounds right now are capable of penetrating all current modern armor with ease. Though I read somewhere the design of current tanks are for urban warfare, where they're mostly used as support fire platforms. The biggest danger to tanks now a days seem to be infantry and IEDs as opposed to other tanks.

In other news: 8.3 update live. :)

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Ah, good information. I had thought all tank rounds right now are capable of penetrating all current modern armor with ease. Though I read somewhere the design of current tanks are for urban warfare, where they're mostly used as support fire platforms. The biggest danger to tanks now a days seem to be infantry and IEDs as opposed to other tanks.

In other news: 8.3 update live. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GG7iXZdYbg
;)

0.8.3 has be live in the EU for a say or two now ;)

But I do like the EU bonus this weekend....2 x crew experience...ALL weekend ;)

Last edited:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
So I decided to go down the American autoloader tree. I got sick of the british medium line.

I'm liking the first little American autoloader, I'm not sure how good the rest of the tree is, but it seems ok.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't remember what happened with the bradley though, wasn't it an IFV that fired on it and not an actual tank?

Yes, it was an IFV.

As for more about the armor, hasn't only 1 M1A2 been destroyed by enemy action (actually a mine combined with additional 500kg of explosives including 3-4 155mm artillery shells)?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Being able to move at +50km/h towards the enemy and still being able to hit them....causes shock&awe.

Infact you don't even need to hit/kill the enemy.
Rommel encountered at lot of french tanks that his tanks couldn't kill in the low countires in 1940.

His solution:
Line up all his tanks...charge and fire on the go...and watch the enemy retreat in great haste.

Yeah but if the French had stood and engaged it probably would have been a different story. The French did have better tanks in 1940. They just used them wrong. Its not the tank that failed but their tankers and commanders that failed. You can't always assume an enemy will run. You leave him a notion he has a escape route and hope he will pull back allowing you to control and win the battlefield.

On a side note its going to be interesting if one day we (USA) meet an enemy that has some decent tanks, crews and commanders, and decides to really put up a serious fight. We havent really seen that since WW2. I'm excluding Vietnam and Afganistan because they don't/didn't really have tanks although one could say they have people willing to fight and die. More Guerilla style though.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Yes, it was an IFV.

As for more about the armor, hasn't only 1 M1A2 been destroyed by enemy action (actually a mine combined with additional 500kg of explosives including 3-4 155mm artillery shells)?

Far from it:

From tanknet:

Tank; cause and effect; location; source; date
M1A1; Armbrust s-side nb-skirt, knocked out; Baghdad; official, pictures; 23/08/03
M1A1; RPG-29 shot through the side, knocked out, sent back to US; ?; US soldier; late 2003
M1A2; IED, 240-mm mortar, catastrophic (first), 3 KIA, driver WIA; Baquba; official; 27/10/03
M1A1; IED, catastrophic (second); ?; official; ?
M1A1; IED, catastrophic (third); ?; official; ?
M1A1; RPG to side, 1 KIA; ?; official, press; 07/04/04
M1A1; RPG to turret front, frag/burns to commander/loader, gunner also WIA (?); Fallujah; press, video; 07/04/04
M1A1; PG-7V s-side glacis, burnt out; Baghdad; press, picture; 10/04/04
M1A1; multiple RPG hits, burnt out; Sadr City; press, pictures; 17/08/04
M1A1; RPG attack, burnt out, 1 KIA; Ramadi; official, press; 10/11/04
M1A1; ambushed on trailer, burnt out; Baghdad; press; 22/11/04
M1A1; RPG s-side second last skirt, mobility killed; Mosul; press, pictures; 12/02/05
M1A1; AT mine, mobility killed; outside Fallujah; press, pictures; 11/03/05
M1A1; AT mine, mobility killed; Fallujah; US soldier; mid-2005
M1A1; IED, burnt out; ?; video; ?
M1A2 SEP; IED, knocked out; Sadr City; US soldier, pictures; ?
M1A2 SEP; RPG s-side rear-skirt, engine killed; US soldier, pictures; ?
M1A2 SEP; RPG s-side turret side, commander/gunner WIA from spall; Sadr City; US soldier, pictures; ?
M1A2 SEP; RPG-29, knocked out; Sadr City; US soldier; ?
M1A2 SEP; RPG-29, knocked out; Sadr City; US soldier; ?
M1A2 SEP; AT IED (#1), loss; Sadr City; US soldier 2004-2005
M1A2 SEP; AT IED (#2), loss; Sadr City; US soldier; 2004-2005
M1A2 SEP; AT IED (#3), loss; Sadr City; US soldier; 2004-2005
M1A2 SEP; IED or RPG (#1); knocked out; Sadr City; US soldier; 2004-2005
M1A2 SEP; IED or RPG, heavily damaged; Sadr City; US soldier; 2004-2005
M1A2 SEP; IED or RPG (#10), knocked out; US soldier; Sadr City; 2004-2005
M1A1; IED, ruptured fuel cell, magazine detonation; Anbar Province; US soldier, picture; summer 2005
M1A1; IED, knocked out, unknown # of WIA/KIA; ?; US soldier, video; ?
M1A1; IED, burnt out; Southeast Baghdad; press, pictures; 25/12/05
M1A1; IED, knocked out, burning; Ramadi; video; 16/12/05
M1A1; IED, catastrophic, driver WIA; ?; US soldier; ?
M1A1; IED, burnt out; Eastern Baghdad; press, pictures; 10/03/06
M1##; IED, gunner paralyzed from severe whiplash; ?; US soldier; ?
M1A1; AT mine, mobility killed; ?; US soldier, video; ?
M1A1; IED, mobility killed; ?; video; February 2006
M1A1; IED, mobility killed; ?; video; 11/04/06
M1A1; IED, magazine detonation; ?; video, press; 15/09/06
M1A1; IED, knocked out, unknown # of WIA/KIA; North Baghdad; video; 09/10/06
M1A2 SEP; IED, knocked out “destroyed”; ?; press; mid-2006
M1A1; IED, ruptured fuel cell, magazine detonation; Fallujah; press, video; 05/01/07

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah but if the French had stood and engaged it probably would have been a different story. The French did have better tanks in 1940. They just used them wrong. Its not the tank that failed but their tankers and commanders that failed. You can't always assume an enemy will run. You leave him a notion he has a escape route and hope he will pull back allowing you to control and win the battlefield.

On a side note its going to be interesting if one day we (USA) meet an enemy that has some decent tanks, crews and commanders, and decides to really put up a serious fight. We havent really seen that since WW2. I'm excluding Vietnam and Afganistan because they don't/didn't really have tanks although one could say they have people willing to fight and die. More Guerilla style though.

If and if....they didn't...hence "shock&awe" ;)

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Victory!
Battle: Serene Coast יום*ראשון 20 ינואר 2013 08:12:46
Vehicle: M46 Patton
Experience received: 5,025 (x3 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 57,738

Just another day in pattonland...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well I'm continually underwhelmed by the T-62a. It just doesn't have the get up and go that the T-54 has. Its also the essentially the same gun with a 1 sec faster reload (and more pen). I was also hit for over 1k arty damage way too many times (and I was on the move). I feel I can have way more of an impact on the game in my t-54 than my 62a.

I've been playing the chinese tier 5, t-34. I swear the gun barrel got warped in transit or something, the damn thing never fires straight. I've yet to get an ace tanker in it, even with an almost 2k damage game. I guess I just need to get into a tier 7 battle and light a few tigers on fire. It doesn't look like the chinese mediums are going to get better till around tier 8.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Got a bit "bored" (ot really, just taking long to) on my grind to the E-50M, E-100, JgPzE100 and GW Typ E, so started my next tree...the US.

Used free XP (damn low tiers ae cheap) bypassed the T1...unlocked all the tnaks it leads to...and are having fun in the T18 now...damn that thing is OP for tier 2 :s LOL

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I've been playing the chinese tier 5, t-34. I swear the gun barrel got warped in transit or something, the damn thing never fires straight. I've yet to get an ace tanker in it, even with an almost 2k damage game. I guess I just need to get into a tier 7 battle and light a few tigers on fire. It doesn't look like the chinese mediums are going to get better till around tier 8.

Yep, Lurker's T-34 can not shoot straight. It is comical and I am sure VERY frustrating for him. I have been grinding my T-28 and T-28 proto.

I skipped to the tier 7 light. Bought the first 85mm gun for it and proceeded to bounce all my gold rounds at whatever I faced. I really need to skip to the 2nd or 3rd 85mm.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Had a good battle last night in my new IS-3 (still has the IS gun). We should have lost, but pulled it around at the end. We lost 3 of our tier 10s right at the start of the match (they were idiots and just pulled straight out and got blown up with only 1 of them even getting a shot off that did damage). This was on the desert airbase map (forget the name).

So we are then in full defensive mode (we had the side where the river was on our right and the airstrip on the left). It was me in my IS-3, an E-75, and a IS-7 holding the airstrip side against an E-100, E-75, Batchat, Lorraine, IS-3, and a 704. We at least were up far enough in the middle of the map that we had room to fall back under cover as we performed a defensive retreat. I got a lucky shot off on the Lorraine and ammo racked him (he had 100% health and I one-shot him). We were playing peek-a-boom against them nosing out and shooting and pulling back and we just beat them down. I was able to track the E-100 2 or 3 times which kept him stuck out in the open, which made him an easy kill (especially when he was up on a hill where we could shoot at him from the bottom). I also got a lucky track shot on the Batchat, and both the IS-7 and E-75 were able to blow him up immediately following. I don't know how our E-75 died, but the IS-7 was then squared off against the other E-75 (our IS-7 rammed him after shooting) but only had 7% health left, so would have been dead on the next penetrating hit. I put a shot on the E-75 which set him on fire and killed him (700+ damage from shot+fire). At that time the other side of the map had almost collapsed (they had an IS-7 against our VK3601 and our arty).

I was able to pop up on one of the hills and had a clear shot at the rear of the IS-7 and he went boom. In doing so, I took a hit from the 704 (who was hiding at that time) and it BOUNCED! But that lit up 704 and our arty nailed him. At that point it was just cleanup, especially since I was still at 99% health. In the end, I bounced 9 shots and only had a few HP missing from an arty shot that was wide (it did 7 damage and tracked me).

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Considered trying the Chinese line but hearing too many complaints about them. Basically people saying the heavies suck and better to play Soviet heavies. The mediums get more praise but not a lot more. Short answer I hear is if you want to play Chinese forget heavies and play the mediums. They are more fun but nothing great either.

So to switch things up a bit I pulled my crew from the T28 Proto (already have a 110e4 with crew) and throw them into a T28 I bought. Thinking I may want to get a T95 one day. Man, I forgot how much I hate fixed gun TDs. LOL Anyway learning and grinding on that tank now.

Today I was playing in my 4502 A. Been a long while since I put any extensive time into it. Trying a Maus someday may be fun but I'm not looking forward to the 4502 B which is why I haven't pushed on the 4502 A. Anyway figure maybe so grinding on the 4502 A as well. Open battles I don't like using it so much. Love using it in cities and villages. It's short nose makes it a nice peek a boo shooter. Armor isnt the greatest though. Doesn't bounce anything really off its armor and most tanks can damage it. It sure is fun peeking out around a building and blasting enemy tanks though.

Anyway thats what I'm up to lately in the game.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Considered trying the Chinese line but hearing too many complaints about them. Basically people saying the heavies suck and better to play Soviet heavies. The mediums get more praise but not a lot more. Short answer I hear is if you want to play Chinese forget heavies and play the mediums. They are more fun but nothing great either.

So to switch things up a bit I pulled my crew from the T28 Proto (already have a 110e4 with crew) and throw them into a T28 I bought. Thinking I may want to get a T95 one day. Man, I forgot how much I hate fixed gun TDs. LOL Anyway learning and grinding on that tank now.

Today I was playing in my 4502 A. Been a long while since I put any extensive time into it. Trying a Maus someday may be fun but I'm not looking forward to the 4502 B which is why I haven't pushed on the 4502 A. Anyway figure maybe so grinding on the 4502 A as well. Open battles I don't like using it so much. Love using it in cities and villages. It's short nose makes it a nice peek a boo shooter. Armor isnt the greatest though. Doesn't bounce anything really off its armor and most tanks can damage it. It sure is fun peeking out around a building and blasting enemy tanks though.

Anyway thats what I'm up to lately in the game.
^

It's a good PAB tank ypu...but don't go head to head with anything.
The VK4501P is good learning tank for the Maus...it will teach you to sidescrape.
I love sidescraping in the Maus...most rounds bounce...and those that don't...just track you ^^

But the Maus isn't good in open maps....but as a block in the city...VERY good.
And it has a fear factor.
Scrape out of a corner, thit a tank for ~500 HP...and watch tanks scamble for cover...even though you have ~12 sec reload.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
The 4501P is one annoying tank for my T8\9's...
Great gun + annoyingly bouncy armor (seems even more than the E-75) makes me just retreat and go for something else until I can get proper side shots.

P.S. Skott, I've been grinding the chinese light line, I'm only up to the 59-16 right now. It is a pile of trash, but a fun pile of trash. The 76mm autoloader will bounce on a Type 59's rear, lol...unless it is at a perfect 90 degrees. However very fun vs other lights and the occasional side/back shots that do pen, even if not you're a distraction.
Coupled with the strangely high xp this thing gets for doing seemingly nothing, the grind isn't too rough. The previous tanks are fun and the T7 finally gets decent guns so I'm guessing this is the only crap tank in the tree.

Last edited:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
just created an account, so....I was really into world war 2 online and loved tanking, etc. etc. Thought i might like this here.

Is this one of those things where the game has been around so long, a noob free player can't make any impact in the arena?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Nah mizzou. The tiers make it so that it doesn't really matter, player skill does. If you have the skill (I'm guessing it'll take ~1k battles to really know the game) you can join a clan I guess.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The 4501P is one annoying tank for my T8\9's...
Great gun + annoyingly bouncy armor (seems even more than the E-75) makes me just retreat and go for something else until I can get proper side shots.

P.S. Skott, I've been grinding the chinese light line, I'm only up to the 59-16 right now. It is a pile of trash, but a fun pile of trash. The 76mm autoloader will bounce on a Type 59's rear, lol...unless it is at a perfect 90 degrees. However very fun vs other lights and the occasional side/back shots that do pen, even if not you're a distraction.
Coupled with the strangely high xp this thing gets for doing seemingly nothing, the grind isn't too rough. The previous tanks are fun and the T7 finally gets decent guns so I'm guessing this is the only crap tank in the tree.

It has a nice weakspot on the front...just like Tiger II/JagdTiger...the machinegun-bubble.