[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 301 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The churchill series fill me with despair. More specifically, the churchill VII.

Poor armor vs upper tiers with an inadequate gun, terrible top speed and huge vulnerabilities everywhere in its hull. I was fighting another churchill and found out it's one of the few tanks where you can shoot it frontally in the tracks and DO DAMAGE. You can also shoot the inside of the tracks (the 2 big pieces sticking out of the front) and do tons of damage WHILE keeping the tank tracked. All without touching the hitbox of the main tank!

In WOT, you have three things. Speed, Firepower, Armor. You need 2/3 for a good tank. Churchill has ZERO of these things.

Ugh. Why did I waste a million credits on this thing.

I dislike my Churchill VII for the most part. Only time I play it is when I'm going to grab the 2X daily double on it. The gun is decent but nothing to brag about. Its much better when using gold shells but that is expensive for a tank like this. The British mediums are more enjoyable IMO.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
If all pubs were good players, you'd just see a lot of camping because of the lack of coordination. Unlike clan wars where you have a plan of attack, pubs don't coordinate much even if they're individually good players and you won't have the "right" tanks with you either.

I doubt it would devolve into a campfest. Camping is the worst thing you can do. When it comes to protecting your arty, its best to bring the fight to the enemy as far away from them as possible. Also getting to places first on the map can give you a large tactical advantage just for the pure angle of denying your enemy thier "usual" place, which will usually make them more vulnerable to arty.

Either way, Possessed and I will never be campers no matter the makeup of our competition. We are almost always on the front lines, either leading the charge, or making sure we can support it. Camping isn't fun, and its detrimental to your team. Its one less tank on the front lines to absord and return fire.

If everyone was good, would this tactic work as well? who knows. But then again even if everyone was good, there is always going to be people that are better. The biggest difference I would see if people were all good is they would actually be able to hit those elcs and 50-2s.

Actually funny story, on the magic forest map I one shotted an elc moving full speed through the town with my t34 in the first 40 sec or so of the match at around 200m. A few people said "ns" in chat, and then asked if it was a gold round. Its like people think gold rounds are magical or something. Either way, I"m still convinced 90% of players have no idea how to lead a moving target. Maybe they are just so used to shooting lasers in other games, that shell trajectory and velocity are just lost on them.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm usually leading and spotting as well, but its really annoying when nobody follows you and you have 5-6 targets all lit up for 3-4 minutes and nobody fires at them.

And yeah... I'm usually the one tracking down and firing at the 50-2 and elcs. Either I track it and others finish them off or I put one round in them and nobody else can hit them. It's really stupid but doesn't surprise me, given how terrible some players are.

I also had the priviledge of playing the game on a bad laptop once, and I can totally understand how people can't snipe well. The frame rate still drops terribly in sniper mode.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Either way, Possessed and I will never be campers no matter the makeup of our competition. We are almost always on the front lines, either leading the charge, or making sure we can support it. Camping isn't fun, and its detrimental to your team. Its one less tank on the front lines to absord and return fire.

You had better believe it.

I had a great day soloing yesterday. I went 26-8. Doubled everything except some tier 10's (IS4, IS7, 50B). I had three back to back games of top guns (including a 9 kill game in my mark 1 (no radleys at low tier)). Just an overall good day to be a tanker. Crushed a G platoon when I was in my JP-E (I don't think the 62A even got to register that I was aimed and pointed at him). I had a 5500 damage game in my e50 AND I was called an idiot by an e75 who died 3 minutes in. I got a spartan and a steel wall in my KV-2 which took 20 hits and still managed to derp a few things. I was the top exp earner in my scummel (3500 damage done) and top three in my M12, GW-E, and 261.

I don't think I will ever have as good a day soloing than I did yesterday. Hell, even my M3 Lee kicked ass (manhandled the hill on campinova in a tier 5 game).

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
yeah, yesterday soloing didn't go so well. Played 2 games in my Su-122-44 and lost both. Called it quits after that. I didn't get picked for CW so I just logged off. They need to make some platoon channels in the ready room area so we're still available to get picked, but don't have to sit around soloing games with our thumbs up our asses.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The newest thing they added to the game which I dislike is how tanks can drown now. That's not what bugs me per se but the fact now the quitters can just go drown themselves without penalty other than a destroyed tank. The problem now is a person drowns themself so the enemy cant get that kill or someone doesnt like the line up or has an issue with another on the team so they go drown themself which in turns punishes the whole team. So now we have a bunch of pussy quitters drowning themselves because they cant deal with it for whatever reason.

WG needs to put a fix on this somehow. Maybe make the quitter pay a huge penalty in XP and credits or maybe if a person drowns for whatever reason, forced or willingly, The game rewards everyone on the team, or last guy that got a hit, with points equivalent to the tank's value. Something like that anyway. Otherwise we are going to see more and more crying whiners go run into the water when they cant get their way.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The newest thing they added to the game which I dislike is how tanks can drown now. That's not what bugs me per se but the fact now the quitters can just go drown themselves without penalty other than a destroyed tank. The problem now is a person drowns themself so the enemy cant get that kill or someone doesnt like the line up or has an issue with another on the team so they go drown themself which in turns punishes the whole team. So now we have a bunch of pussy quitters drowning themselves because they cant deal with it for whatever reason.

WG needs to put a fix on this somehow. Maybe make the quitter pay a huge penalty in XP and credits or maybe if a person drowns for whatever reason, forced or willingly, The game rewards everyone on the team, or last guy that got a hit, with points equivalent to the tank's value. Something like that anyway. Otherwise we are going to see more and more crying whiners go run into the water when they cant get their way.

Well sometimes its really an accident (looking at you Possessed), and other times people do it when thier fate is inevitable. With 8.2 (maybe even 8.1) they at least added in full repairs on drowning. Prior to that drowning only killed your crew and there weren't any repair costs. Thats why drowning yourself was more of a problem when physics first hit, since it could actually save you money when you got a shit team.

I've never drowned myself, I fight to the death.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Haha I have drowned myself a few times to deny the enemy more points and credits. It was a cheap baby move. But sometimes the MM worked so against me. I didnt feel like paying a repair bill nor give the enemy credits\exp.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

I would prefer a guy to drowning himself to TK/grief somebody into killing them. Plus you now pay the full repair bill of the tank when you drown yourself. Which is considerable at higher tiers. I would MUCH rather try to fire one more shot and earn more exp/credits than drown myself.

And yes Lurker, make sure when you move after shooting that you do not back into the ... blub blub blub (simulated conversation of Lurker, another, and me while I go right into the lake in campinova and drown).

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Patch already up in the EU.

Same thing as when the UK tanks came...lot of new tanks to frag filled with 50% crew ...

OSULugan

Feb 22, 2003
So, I was talking to a guy I know the other day who plays WOT. I was talking about targeting specific spots on the tank, and he had this look of amazement. He'd thought that when he right-clicked on the enemy tank and fired, his gunner was making the adjustments for him. Further, he was under the assumption that when the gunner got better, his shots would get better.

I wonder how prevalent this line of thinking is. I know that when I first started playing, there was no indication in game that this was a bad way to play. Only through experience, reading up on the forums/wiki, getting some targetting site mods did I realize how big of a game changer something this simple is.

I still find myself not leading a fast tank enough because I'm used to shooting to the red outline for automatic adjustments in shot trajectory. It's an area I'm focusing on getting better at. I love the feeling of having one of those lights come screaming around a corner only to get blasted to bits by my big 88.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I love the feeling of having one of those lights come screaming around a corner only to get blasted to bits by my big 88.

If you want to learn to lead targets, load up a low speed 'derp' gun like the 105 on the m4/pz4 or the 105 on the t82 or the kv2's 152. You have to lead every target unless they are sitting still.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
If you want to learn to lead targets, load up a low speed 'derp' gun like the 105 on the m4/pz4 or the 105 on the t82 or the kv2's 152. You have to lead every target unless they are sitting still.

Not to forget...105 MM on VK2801 ^^

It's slooooow......getting.....there....b00m.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I wonder how prevalent this line of thinking is. I know that when I first started playing, there was no indication in game that this was a bad way to play. Only through experience, reading up on the forums/wiki, getting some targetting site mods did I realize how big of a game changer something this simple is.

I think a LOT of people don't really know too much about game mechanics.
Some of it is "common sense" which of course isn't too common, plus if you've never looked up tank armor layout in general (or known about it due to RL experience/knowledge) you may think your normal round has no reason not to damage that XXX tank from the front...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010

I love the times though when there isn't appropriate backdrop to lead your target with those guns. So your gunner thinks you want to lob the shell 3000m to the end of the map, so he lobs it like an arty, and goes way over your target.

Anyway the higher shell velocity of the gun, the easier it is to hit. The trick is keeping mental tabs on shell velocities for all the tanks you play, and adjusting your lead appropriately (high ping times can also make leading targets a pain). For instance the vk3601k konisch gun is about as high velocity as it gets, and for anythign but fast scouts at 400m, all I have to do is aim at the front and the shell will hit somewhere in the middle/rear. With a PzIV derp to hit the same target I'de need to lead by 2-3 tank lengths.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Played for the first time last night since Dec 23rd. The night went ok but I still suckle in the M103. E50 saved the night for me. Owned a poor E5 face hugging lol. But his Patton friend got me. Slowed them up enough for 3 heavies to return to base and end the match.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think a LOT of people don't really know too much about game mechanics.
Some of it is "common sense" which of course isn't too common, plus if you've never looked up tank armor layout in general (or known about it due to RL experience/knowledge) you may think your normal round has no reason not to damage that XXX tank from the front...

It's not common sense to "shoot the lower glacis" or "shoot the commander's copula". Most kids now are used to call of modern warfare ops shooter 5 that they just point and shoot and wouldn't think twice about aiming slightly. Even if they do know where to aim, situational awareness and positioning in the game is more important than anything else and that's not something you see in a lot of gamers in general.

Also in general if you don't know anything about tanks, you wouldn't know anything about angles, the upper glacis, lower glacis, etc. A lot of people play world of tanks because they think tanks are cool and that's about it.

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
It's not common sense to "shoot the lower glacis" or "shoot the commander's copula". Most kids now are used to call of modern warfare ops shooter 5 that they just point and shoot and wouldn't think twice about aiming slightly. Even if they do know where to aim, situational awareness and positioning in the game is more important than anything else and that's not something you see in a lot of gamers in general.

Also in general if you don't know anything about tanks, you wouldn't know anything about angles, the upper glacis, lower glacis, etc. A lot of people play world of tanks because they think tanks are cool and that's about it.

It's not common sense in real life AFV.
I should know, have "toyed" with Leopard 1A5DK and Leopard 2A5DK in the danish army.

You learn to aim for the "center mass", fire, B00m...target destroyed!

A spotted tank is a dead tank 3 sexonds later in real life.

Want realism, this is the way to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyE4xJV6C6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpgcp3aJeUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU8dveL9Yew

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
IRL is also different... one penetrated shell and you're dead. WOT is arcadey which is why all the "weaknesses" come into play, and that's not common sense in any way shape or form. Plus modern guns don't really have any sort of issues penetrating armor of existing tanks, do they? So it's just whoever gets the first shot off.

To be fair the "weakness" of the tank is generally for the infantry to exploit, not other tanks.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
If you want a realistic tank battle where you have to aim for weak spots and die in one shot, try world war II online. Honestly though, WOT is alot faster action, and less insta death. (I loved playing wwIIonline, but don't have time anymore)

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
You learn to aim for the "center mass", fire, B00m...target destroyed!

Ah the Leopard 1 mentality... any modern tank round can defeat any modern tank armor... so why worry about armor. And yet now this has gone full circle, Leo 2s are getting a massive armor upgrade, russian tanks have the explosive appliques to deter rounds, etc. One shot is not one kill all the time now.

Historically, aiming for center mass in ww2 tanks that did not have a superior gun were wasting shots. Sure you still took them when you needed to but you did nothing to the tank (just look at the amazing amount of hits KV1's took in the early engagements, hell even char B's just sat there and took hits).

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Hell I love auto-aimers. Its how I probably got most of my steel walls. Its also a good reason why lower tier tanks that have actual armor are so damn effective. No lowbie newb knows where to shoot you to do any damage.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Plus modern guns don't really have any sort of issues penetrating armor of existing tanks, do they? So it's just whoever gets the first shot off.

Ask the Iraqi's in Gulf War 1 how well their modern Russian made tanks and guns did against penetrating the M1A1 main battletanks. 9 M1A1's and 12 M3 Bradley's destroyed 37 T-72's and 32 other vehicles in just over 30 minutes, losing just a single Bradley (of which the gunner died, but the rest of the crew survived).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Ask the Iraqi's in Gulf War 1 how well their modern Russian made tanks and guns did against penetrating the M1A1 main battletanks. 9 M1A1's and 12 M3 Bradley's destroyed 37 T-72's and 32 other vehicles in just over 30 minutes, losing just a single Bradley (of which the gunner died, but the rest of the crew survived).

That's actually s1e1 of greatest tank battles. :D I didn't think the T-72s actually got any good shots off at the M1A1s with the way they protrayed it, sounds like the M1A1s caught the tanks with their pants down and wrecked them all before they knew what happened. Don't remember what happened with the bradley though, wasn't it an IFV that fired on it and not an actual tank?