[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 296 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Either way I kept my T29. I think it's one of the best tier 7s. It's the only one at that tier that can hull down and be immune to even tier 9s. When played properly this tank is a great pub stomper.

Once I move out of the tier 7 TD's I am slowly grinding I will rebuy the T29. It really is an amazing tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think the T29 cheeks are zero damage pen hitboxes (take out a radio or something dumb). Either way you'll only pen it with a tier 10 TD or a tier 10 gun with gold. The cupolas may be a week spot, but if they are moving, it's a hard ass shot, even when they are close. Since they take longer than a lot of other tanks to aim, the best time to line up a shot is when they are doing the same.

Either way I kept my T29. I think it's one of the best tier 7s. It's the only one at that tier that can hull down and be immune to even tier 9s. When played properly this tank is a great pub stomper.

You're thinking of the "ears", which is just radio damage now. I'm talking about the turret cheeks right next to the impenetrable gun mantlet: its like 200 something armor, I want to say 200 or something close to that. It's a much easier shot sometimes if you have a high pen gun, but you gotta watch the angles or you'll bounce.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Had a couple great games on Monday night with the T29. On ruinberg I found a nice crater near the church that allowed me to go pretty much hull down. I slowed down 2x Type 59s and a Lowe as they tried to pen me. They were occasionally able to pen the top of my chassis but a lot of bounces off the turret and chassis. By the time they got done with me the rest of my team was mopping up.

Then on widepark I got pulled into a T9-10 match due to my fiance's kid playing his T44. I was the only T7 tank in the game. Through a combination of gold + regular rounds on the correct targets and having a good hiding spot. I managed to survive until nearly the end and killed a batchat while penning a T54, T62a, E100, M48, M103, and E75. Finished 2nd on the team with exp and did about 3100 in damage. Not bad for a slow T7 :D

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm surprised the lowe and the types didn't make mincemeat out of you just by shooting the top of your chasis. Its only 120mm (or less?) and with a few good shots the lowe should've put you down. In ruinsberg he should've had a good shot on the top of your copula too since most engagements are <200m. But then a lot of lowe drivers are... "special". Most of the craters are very superficial covers and exposes a good amount of your hull as well.

Couldn't win for the life of me yesterday. 10 games, 3 victories. Doing an average of 2k-3k damage on arty and various other tanks and still losing even with "good" teams. Surprisingly won with my matilda (slowest piece of crap ever) very easily.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Hull down T29? That is what HE is for. And I really do love to show what my Lowe can do to a T29 that thinks he is so damn smart. That gun on the Lowe is very good at sniping the tops of hull down tanks. Two T59s couldn't get the T29? Either they couldn't flank due to too much support or were too dumb to try.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm surprised the lowe and the types didn't make mincemeat out of you just by shooting the top of your chasis. Its only 120mm (or less?) and with a few good shots the lowe should've put you down. In ruinsberg he should've had a good shot on the top of your copula too since most engagements are <200m. But then a lot of lowe drivers are... "special". Most of the craters are very superficial covers and exposes a good amount of your hull as well.

Couldn't win for the life of me yesterday. 10 games, 3 victories. Doing an average of 2k-3k damage on arty and various other tanks and still losing even with "good" teams. Surprisingly won with my matilda (slowest piece of crap ever) very easily.

Coming from point II there is a crater right next to a car next to the church at the interesection that runs from the circle out to the 0 line. It actually let me cover most of the front of my hull. I think the lowe and type 59's were special. They were playing peek a boo with me. Eventually they did overwhelm me but I had done some decent damage to them. And the time it took them to finally figure it out our team was ready to do mop up duty. With the angle of the top of the chassis it probably was higher than 127mm.

I have had horrible nights followed by great nights. It has to be something in the MM. On those horrible nights it doesnt matter what I do we lose. Had a game a couple weeks ago in the IS7 where I did something like 6500 damage and we lost.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

This happened to me, my best was me in my hummel, I did *4800* damage. I did more damage than every other tank, winner or loser and it was a tier 9 battle. I missed my last (no fadin's medal for me) shot (after I td'ed an E50) on a tank I couldn't one shot anyway. So annoying to do so much and still lose.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The crappy customer service at Wargaming is at again.

In the forum, they posted info on 8.2, and described some new tanks as having "excellent dynamics".

I posted that that phrase is unclear, and sounds like marketing speak.

A poster replied that it's a translation issue and the word dynamic is related in their language to one meaning acceleration.

I replied saying thanks for the info and that they would benefit from having native speakers help on the messages. This is after numerous cases I've seen bad translation.

Not a derogatory word, just that constructive suggestion, and the moderator removed my comment and made a warning for "social/religious/political" comments.

It appears to me that the moderator is either censoring constructive criticism that is at all negative about the game, or totally off base in inventing an offense.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Today I finally got around to buying the Churchill VII and Cromwell. Had enough time to just play one battle before work in the Churchill VII. Won that battle. I haven't been playing much lately. GW2 is taking up most of my game time. The British tanks are weird. Some tanks have 3 crew members some have four and some have five. I been trying to train up the same crew members but the constant changes to crew number makes it hard. Never seen a tank line so weird like that. I think the Churchhill VII will do okay. Not sure about the Cromwell. The British mediums are not that great IMO. Squishy and undergunned. Just like in real life back in the '30s and '40s. Cant wait to get a British tank with a 17 pounder gun.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
It appears to me that the moderator is either censoring constructive criticism that is at all negative about the game, or totally off base in inventing an offense.

They are hyper sensitive to picking out names and what not. People bash the game play all the time, as well as customer support. So I would hazard a guess that names were said?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
They are hyper sensitive to picking out names and what not. People bash the game play all the time, as well as customer support. So I would hazard a guess that names were said?

No names. I'd quote my post but they removed my comments. It just said 'thanks for the info, they'd benefit from native speakers editing'.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Today I finally got around to buying the Churchill VII and Cromwell. Had enough time to just play one battle before work in the Churchill VII. Won that battle. I haven't been playing much lately. GW2 is taking up most of my game time. The British tanks are weird. Some tanks have 3 crew members some have four and some have five. I been trying to train up the same crew members but the constant changes to crew number makes it hard. Never seen a tank line so weird like that. I think the Churchhill VII will do okay. Not sure about the Cromwell. The British mediums are not that great IMO. Squishy and undergunned. Just like in real life back in the '30s and '40s. Cant wait to get a British tank with a 17 pounder gun.

I haven't had much experience with the brits, just the matilda, valentie and the A-13. How's the churchill? It seems to have some long fantasy gun so maybe its firepower would be decent?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Churchills are great credit and xp targets.

I'm in love with my newly bought IS-3. I had enough free xp to get the BL-9 after ~9 games with the D-25 then the turret not long after...42 games, 67% win. Last game was a 53k credit shooting gallery - I now firmly believe the accuracy stats are a lie. This "crappy russian gun" hits way more often in the center than the 105 on the T32.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Churchills are great credit and xp targets.

I'm in love with my newly bought IS-3. I had enough free xp to get the BL-9 after ~9 games with the D-25 then the turret not long after...42 games, 67% win. Last game was a 53k credit shooting gallery - I now firmly believe the accuracy stats are a lie. This "crappy russian gun" hits way more often in the center than the 105 on the T32.

yup, it really does. Russian guns are VERY center heavy (can hit stuff at 400m easily) whereas the 105 is sort of a crapshoot beyond 300m.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
yup, it really does. Russian guns are VERY center heavy (can hit stuff at 400m easily) whereas the 105 is sort of a crapshoot beyond 300m.

I think this is just a psychological illusion. The Russian tanks are innacurate, so when you do hit at range, you think "wow!, holy shit I can't believe I hit that tank". While you believe the American/German tanks are accurate "snipers" so when you miss at range, you think "WTF!, how did I miss that shot, this tanks blows".

I'll tell you one thing, the BL-10 russian gun rarely ever hits center. It usually isn't apparent though, since a hit anywhere on most tanks will cause a pen. Its also notorious for non damage tracking shots at range.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I think this is just a psychological illusion. The Russian tanks are innacurate, so when you do hit at range, you think "wow!, holy shit I can't believe I hit that tank". While you believe the American/German tanks are accurate "snipers" so when you miss at range, you think "WTF!, how did I miss that shot, this tanks blows".

I'll tell you one thing, the BL-10 russian gun rarely ever hits center. It usually isn't apparent though, since a hit anywhere on most tanks will cause a pen. Its also notorious for non damage tracking shots at range.

I'll agree with you on the BL-10. That thing is a temperamental gun and I pray to the BL-10 gods every time before I shoot. HOWEVER, all the other russian guns sans the 100mm are all very center heavy. I literally sniped with my IS to great results, and the BL-9 is VERY accurate as well. Heck, even the 152 derp is fairly accurate. ;)

In comparison, I see noticible shell drop for american guns as well as a wider general dispersion. German guns are accurate, I won't question that. They're still the best snipers, but russian guns are VERY accurate if you're zoomed in.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Having played all of the tanks lines my feeling is the Soviet inaccuracy is overblown. I thought the BL-9 was quite accurate at range. My IS3 had a hit\ratio of 80%. The S-70 on the IS4 and my IS7 are around 78%. The 100mm on the IS was in the mid to high 70s. The German 105 on the Tiger II was 79% and the 105 on my E50 is 83%. But i find the 105 on the T29 to be wildly inaccuracte at times. I would not count on it hitting anything past 150-200 meters with any consistency. Think my hit ratio is right around 70%. I also felt the same about the 122 on the IS and the 128 on the E75. That 128 would randomly shoot a round somewhere not near the target. I wouldnt even see a splash it was so far off target in sniper mode. But my hit ratio in the E75 was pretty good at 78%. The 100 on the Type 59 is horribly inaccurate as well at range. Yes I can hit thing 200+meters. But it is definately not reliable. My hit ratio in the Type 59 is 71% through about 800 games.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I haven't had much experience with the brits, just the matilda, valentie and the A-13. How's the churchill? It seems to have some long fantasy gun so maybe its firepower would be decent?

Kind of slow moving. Decent gun but horrible gun depression. The tank is extremely weak to arty. You have to keep your nose pointing directly at your opponent for the frontal armor to work for you. You dont angle it like some tanks. I havent fully upgraded my Churchill VII yet however. The first night (late night play) I played with it I was getting thrown into T9 & T10 battles which was just pathetic on the MM's part. That wasn't fun.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Need to correct what the customer service issue was about. I assumed it was about my suggesting they have native speakers edit their communication, but it wasn't.

When chinese tanks were pulled from 8.2, a player posted:

"Rather disappointed that the Chinese are going to be postponed hopefully it's because of balance as you said and not due to the massed amount of whining from USA nationalists -.- ..."

I responded:

"Yes, the Russian developers have just been slaves to USA nationalists. Good call."

That comment was deleted by the moderator and a warning issued for offensive 'political/religious/national' comment.

When my post was doing the exact opposite, criticizing the post referring to 'USA nationalists'. My comment was not offensive about any group.

Their first review of the issue led them to not understand this and stand by the warning.

We'll see if a second review has better results of them understanding their mistake.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I got the Cromwell fully upgraded. This tank can really move around pretty quick. The gun is okay, nothing to brag about but it does well enough if you are fighting tanks your own tier or less. Its still squishy though. The Churchill VII? Well, its a slow grind. Its average at best and maybe a bit less than that. I don't have final gun yet though so hard to say. A lot of hate for it being posted on the official forums. I hear the British heavy line doesnt get good till T8 so we'll see. I heard the same things about the French heavy line. So far I'm liking the British heavy line a little more than the French heavy line. I am using gold rounds at times though so that does help with penetration. I didn't have them for the French grind. German, American, and Soviet heavies are still much better however IMO.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Got the T32 and upgraded it. Still getting used to it but plays a lot like the T29. But it gets stuck in more T9-10 matches which has me slinging more gold to keep up. Expensive to run. On a mission to play 10 games a night for 16-20 days to get the M103.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I played my T32 for around 40k xp after elited, then just sold it and now I'm enjoying the IS-3. It simply seems...better in everything.

Good luck :)