[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 291 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The idiots do come out on these 3x weekends. But somehow I managed to go 10-5 last night.

I may be able to get to the T32 by the end of the weekend.

I don't even do daylies now until I can platoon with my brothers.
Just too much frustatration...when we are 3 competent players, we fair better.

We usually try and predict where the lemmingtrain will go...and then go the other way.
Often we win...but all the lemmings died in a big pile...crying fo help....and yet they never learn.

But sometimes we just get amazed at how fast a 10 tank lemmingtrain can die...and make victory impossible,..not matter what we do.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Get out into the open and any good tanks will get slaughtered. Reds = dont' know how to use cover, don't know how to flank, don't know how to aim straight.

When I knife fight 2 tanks and I see one of them is red, I don't bother shooting it and go straight for the other guy. Most of the times I come out with the other guy bouncing or landing 0 damage hits to my track.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I started 0-6 last night, I struggled back to a 40% win rate for the day. It was amazingly bad. Didn't matter what I did, we just lost again and again and again.

Perhaps the most painful one was when I did 800 damage in my tier 2 tank and we still lost. That is over 4x my hp's in damage. We lost because 2 loltraktors made it to our cap and the PZ2 that was doing NOTHING all game ran away from our base. I was stunned.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Get out into the open and any good tanks will get slaughtered. Reds = dont' know how to use cover, don't know how to flank, don't know how to aim straight.

When I knife fight 2 tanks and I see one of them is red, I don't bother shooting it and go straight for the other guy. Most of the times I come out with the other guy bouncing or landing 0 damage hits to my track.

Not many people in WoT know how to do the bolded part.
When I drive in a 3 man platoon, it's always 2 tanks starts to PAB...and keep the enemy attention....our 3rd man flanks, when he lands first hit...other 2 tanks rush in.
If they are more than 1 tank, we just keep shooting them from different angles.,,but avoided getting to "static" ourselfes...mobility wins ^^
Of course TS helps...way faster than typing...we platooned in 3 x PzII last night...3 of them in a wolfpack...ouch ^^

Another good combo we tried out were 2 JP + 1 KV-3
Lot of Alpha...lot of DPS...and the KV-3 to act like target bait...those JP are really good on the offensive...and going UP hill...oh boy ^^

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
That's the problem. A lot of people play this game like call of duty: they ram you and then try to shoot you using auto aim, or don't bother aiming at all. Or they play passively all the time and never push up because they're afraid of getting shot.

Most people don't think strategically, they just think about hitting a tank without getting hit themselves. For example I'd gladly take an OBJ 704 shot if it means I'll kill him. Most people will shrink back and think "omg omg he hits really hard omg omg".

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
That's the problem. A lot of people play this game like call of duty: they ram you and then try to shoot you using auto aim, or don't bother aiming at all. Or they play passively all the time and never push up because they're afraid of getting shot.

Yup...see this all the time...they face an tank...they go into PAB mode...and goes full auto-pilot.
No looking at MAP, no flanking...I only ram people if I am in my VK2801 and hunting a T-50-2...but I might give it a try (ramming) in the Panther II...it's has the weight, HP and speed to ram hard ^^

Most people don't think strategically, they just think about hitting a tank without getting hit themselves. For example I'd gladly take an OBJ 704 shot if it means I'll kill him. Most people will shrink back and think "omg omg he hits really hard omg omg".

Same here...taking one shot, but getting alonside a turretless TD is worth it.
But I might just be "colored" from play so much scout and chasing arty, that it's just second nature to me now ^^

Getting hit is part of the game....but deciding to take a hit for a kill is also something I do glady.

And if I see a french tank...I'll take more hits...just to kill it ;)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Speaking of french tanks... had a lorraine power slide into the water at the start of the game the other day.... figures.

Panther 2 is actually a pretty good ramming tank. It's heavier than most tanks its tier (sans heavies) and can actually cause good damage to russian tanks as well. I ram stuff whenever possible in the panther 2, but it's better off as a sniper because the ammo's stored on the sides.

The other day my team lemming'd and left 10 guys on the other team (3 were arty) intact while me (S-51) and an obj 268 + obj 704 were left to defend the base. Managed to get 6 kills between the 3 of us and forced a draw... highlight of the game was when I loaded an AP round and blind fired at a M48A1 at full health... 2000 hp? or something like that. Next time I saw him he was at 120 hp and hiding behind a rock. :D

Had another game on one of the newer maps with all the trains in the middle and 2 highways. Somehow managed to pen a Jagdtiger from across the map and under the bridge with my S-51. Saved our ferdy from certain destruction (though he lemminged off to a T-34 later) but that was probably the best shot I ever took in the S-51.

Last edited:

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Speaking of french tanks... had a lorraine power slide into the water at the start of the game the other day.... figures.

Himmdelsdorf...in VK2801...omg the powerslides on those cobblestones o_O
You really have to watch your speed in corners...powerslided past a JPig100..into a wall...and was tracked...and soon after dead :oops:

Also tried in Erlenberg...me and a T-50-2 were chasing an enemy T-50-2...we all slided at the riverbank...and went in...all 3...we drowned.

Took it as a learning experience...with a bruised ego ^^

Panther 2 is actually a pretty good ramming tank. It's heavier than most tanks its tier (sans heavies) and can actually cause good damage to russian tanks as well. I ram stuff whenever possible in the panther 2, but it's better off as a sniper because the ammo's stored on the sides.

I have mine sniperfit (vent, camo, binos)...and it's good.
The panther feels just a taaaad to slow.
The Panther II is more balanced...shifting flanks is actually possible....due to ~60km/h..one of my new favourite tanks! :D

The other day my team lemming'd and left 10 guys on the other team (3 were arty) intact while me (S-51) and an obj 268 + obj 704 were left to defend the base. Managed to get 6 kills between the 3 of us and forced a draw... highlight of the game was when I loaded an AP round and blind fired at a M48A1 at full health... 2000 hp? or something like that. Next time I saw him he was at 120 hp and hiding behind a rock. :D

Had another game on one of the newer maps with all the trains in the middle and 2 highways. Somehow managed to pen a Jagdtiger from across the map and under the bridge with my S-51. Saved our ferdy from certain destruction (though he lemminged off to a T-34 later) but that was probably the best shot I ever took in the S-51.

I'll see if I can find a replay from where me and my brother were in Hummel (he) and I was in a GWpanther.

In the end it was us and a T62A vs 1 GWpanther and 3-4 heavies and 1 med.

Excellent spotting and teamwork...made us win :biggrin:

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Definitely seeing more clueless player during the 3x week. It is frustrating sometimes, but don't forget these noobs are also playing in the opposing team. By keeping my head straight and not getting in a rage (when you are in rage you tend to make bad decision as well) I was still able to keep a 50%+ win rate and getting my 3x. And thanks to the 3x I was finally able to unlock the Chaffee and got it in time for the sale.

I finally went into setting and remap the auto-aim to some key that I will never touch. Auto-aim is most useless feature and I kept accidentally activating it with the RMB. Yesterday I almost lost to a Type59 duel in my KV5 because of auto-aim. I thought right clicking again will deactivate it but it didn't and my shot kept bouncing off. Finally turn my turret way away from it and finally was able to deactivate auto-aim and kill the 59.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is feast or famine on these weekends. Have had some really great games. Then some other games we get stomped. Overall playing arought around 50-60% win rate. Ill take it considering the weekend.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
More scout fun, the same 1 x T-50, 2 x Leopard combo:

http://peecee.dk/upload/view/388346

We are going after getting my brothers up to next scout-tier, so we can form a 1 x T-50-2, 2 x VK2801 wolfpack ^^

The T-50-2 to be the bait for 2 x VK2801 105mm HE DERP gun whammy before we cirle them to death all 3 ;)

The T-50 / Leopard combo is just for getting the flow of things, getting routines down, learning to adapt fast, change plan on the fly...as tier 4 scouts do poor damage compared to tier 5 scouts.

And being a wolfpack works...single out a tank...wolfpack it...take it down...rinse and repeat.

3 against 1...just like military doctrine requires when assaulting ^^

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
I've been playing on the test server a bit. I was interested in the twin Centurions...

After a couple of games I can say - the T8 Cent makes my Pershing obsolete crap. The T9 Cent is about the same as the patton, the gun is a trade off - MOAR PEN for less ROF (oh, and hull armor! that is new on a med). I was also playing the Patton to see if I should buy it or not - I can't believe how much better it is than the Pershing.

That's because the centurion was beastly in real life too... 2 damaged Israeli Centurions faced off 150 Syrian T-62 (Russian), they managed to destroy 60 of them.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I see very little need for a platoon of 3 tier 5 scouts. I would much prefer seeing a platoon of 2 or 1 scout and a high tier arty.

I see less use for you combo than ours...I guess different playstyles comes into mind.

So far we have a lot of success with our tier 4 "wolfpack" of scouts.

Disrupting their lines, making heavies CHASE you over the map after you whizzed by and tracked them...to their own death....arty is toast whne we come across them...a lone tank...toast....people doing PAB...in and harass, damage, confuse and kill.

Adding an arty would make the pack more boring...static camping is not something we enjoy.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I see less use for you combo than ours...I guess different playstyles comes into mind.

I dunno, I have no fear of scouts in my TD's and only slightly fear them in my arty (if they make it to me then so be it). I find 3 on a side to be complete overkill and would MUCH rather have another tier 9 tank on my side than a 3rd tier 5 scout.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I dunno, I have no fear of scouts in my TD's and only slightly fear them in my arty (if they make it to me then so be it). I find 3 on a side to be complete overkill and would MUCH rather have another tier 9 tank on my side than a 3rd tier 5 scout.

I love finding TD's in scouts...almost unfair.
Arties are easy anyways in scouts.

But you find 3 scouts "overkill"..but rather have something else? o_O

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I love finding TD's in scouts...almost unfair.
Arties are easy anyways in scouts.

But you find 3 scouts "overkill"..but rather have something else? o_O

3 T-54s! :D

But I find french tds harder to kill in scouts starting with the AC Mile. They traverse fast and they're fast on the road too.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
They are, but ram it with a t-50-2 and you'll lose. Even 2801 will probably have problems as well. But i guess that's a moot point if it's a 3 on 1.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Speaking of 2801. I played in an encouter battle and our 2801 was going for their ELC. But he wasnt shooting him. He chased him until he could ram him. And when he rammed him I nearly pissed myself in laughter. I saw it through sniper mode. He hit this guy at full speed while he was going full speed in a perfect broadside. It was like watching a nascar pileup. The ELC went flying and blew up. The 2801 driver said he loves smashing those things.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
If you think premium rounds is pay to win, you need to play some more...seriously.

well all things being equal a Gold round is better then a standard round.. so same player same tank should be able to do more with GOLD rounds..

Do gold rounds make you a better player- NO but a crap player who hits with standard round or hits with Gold round can often do more dmg. hence he is more effective in helping his team.. he is not a better player, just getting the advantage of the Gold round doing more dmg. it wont make him hit more, it wont make him play better.. it will just enhance when he does hit and add damage on top of that standard round.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Speaking of 2801. I played in an encouter battle and our 2801 was going for their ELC. But he wasnt shooting him. He chased him until he could ram him. And when he rammed him I nearly pissed myself in laughter. I saw it through sniper mode. He hit this guy at full speed while he was going full speed in a perfect broadside. It was like watching a nascar pileup. The ELC went flying and blew up. The 2801 driver said he loves smashing those things.

It is so much fun playing with those little hockey-pucks ;)
Even if you don't kill them by ramming...they can end up stuck on your frontal amour (28 tonnes vs...what 4?) and you drive along with a ELC on your "hood" with +40 km/h...and blast them...the VK is ramming king of scouts due to weight advantage :wub:

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010

I hit one coming at me in my Hummel. That little ELC almost flipped since I was going downhill. I really like the new physics with tank ramming. It's a ton of fun!