[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 290 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Using gold ammo in pubs are hillarious.
I love seing that yellowish tracer got right by...someone paid real money...to miss me!

Gold ammo still misses, bounces and does zero-damage hits.

And try calculating the prices of ammo cost in games....compared to the earnings.
A good way for folks to burn through millions of credits....for little effect.

I still kill tanks that uses gold ammo...this is no big deal.

AFAIR they are also lowering pen and increasing damage on premium rounds.
Aiming for weakspots/thin amour will matter more.

LtMikePowelll

Jan 12, 2011
Victory!
Battle: Himmelsdorf Monday, October 15, 2012 5:58:44 PM
Vehicle: PzKpfw VI Tiger
Experience received: 4,116 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 56,850 (compensation for damage caused by allies: 930)
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Mastery Badge: "Ace Tanker"

6 kills! Sucks that I forgot to turn on the battle recorder because I turn it off when I played the 8.1 test....

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well, when they change gold rounds cost to creds people are not spending as much dollar wise to fund it. With the possible exception of Premium costs but if you are already a Premium user then its nothing. My prediction is you are going to see a lot more gold rounds in all games now especially in pub matches. Does it make you godly? No. Will it increase your chances of penetrating armor more often, assuming your gun is able to begin with? Yes. This is why people use gold rounds in the clan wars. They want every possible chance to do damage.

I haven't used gold once in the game since final release. I used gold back in beta when they gave me free gold and I had nothing else to spend it on. I'm too cheap to spend gold on it now. Will I be using it when they switch costs to credits? Yes. I am a Premium account user and I always have lots of creds in my bank. I even have gold tanks to generate huge amounts of creds. So, yeah I'd be foolish not to try and stay up with the thousands of other players that will be using gold rounds in pub matches against me. Won't cost me anything really other than cred farming time which I already do anyway. I'll always have Premium so that cost is already factored in for me so no extra cost there.

When gold rounds cost moves to credits you are going to see two things happen. Lots of gold round users and lots of bitching about people who use it. Mainly between those who have premium accounts and those that don't for whatever reason. More accusations of 'pay to win' ruining the game.

WG is going to sell more Premium accounts I'm thinking if they decide to keep it in play despite player angst about it. I'm okay with it if they keep it in or not. I'm set up for either situation.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Being able to purchase gold rounds with silver is going to change the face of clan wars though. Now every little clan landing can roll with gold and be on an "even" footing. The good news though is that gold payouts from clans can exclusively be used to pay for premium/free xp/premium tanks instead of gold rounds for battles.

I also doubt we'll see as much gold sliging in pubs as you think. Tier 10 rounds will be 4-6k a piece, and the mid tiers will still be 2k-6k a shot. No way people are going to be able to afford to shoot all gold rounds. What will happen though, is now everyone will carry a few gold rounds. These will come in handy when you run into that maus, E100 or JpzE100. People will still have to be good enough to remember to switch between thier ammo though.

I, personally, would rather see gold rounds removed from the game. This way it keeps the game more balanced and less "pay to win". Clan wars would also be more challenging, since angling your tank would be much more important than it is now.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Meh once at tier 10 I wouldnt mind the cost of the rounds. And honestly would like to have them for my E50 as well. I have a Type 59 that generates around 50-60K in profit per game. I do think you will see more gold rounds being used in publics. Credits are easy to generate with a premium + gold tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'd probably keep 1 gold round loaded per tank and continue to use my AP rounds like I normally do. Gold rounds are nice but even with a premium you won't be able to afford to load your tank with it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Btw guys. 3x for first battle won started today. Jump on and get some extra xp for your tanks.

Edit: Btw, anyone playing WoT with 3 monitors? I'm thinking when I upgrade next year I might go triple screen.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I will probably keep 3-4 gold rounds on each of my tanks, except some really fun ones which might be sporting 100% gold (like the amazing M3 Lee). Can you imagine people scared of the always penning M3 Lee!? I can, and it will be glorious.

On another note, I have retired my M2 LT at ~300 games and a 74% win ratio. Lurker and I platooned for quite a few of those matches, so his BT2 is also up there in a win ratio. I moved the crew over to the T2 MT and will see how I do with that beast. It is a lot slower...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm going to use gold with the KV-2 running the 152mm. 206 pen will get through a lot of T8 and below tanks for 700 damage. Back to the glory days of the KV one shotting most on the field.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
never used gold shells (well not never, did test some) dont use gold tanks.. DO use Prem to level. Most seem to think the shells are an advantage (I do) which makes the game Pay 2 Win.. that catchs up with everybody eventally.. WoT is going strong, but if they continue on the Pay2Win path it will be bad.. PAY should never do anyting but streamline or shorten your path to endgame.. not give you an advantage over other players.

BUT they are not charging for gold shells you dumbaZZ! they are making um credits!.. it was Pay2 Win for forever. very true.. its like the local drug dealer giving you your first hit for free.. hook ya so you have to use..

as some have stated.. we will be seeing alot of um wizzin around.. I think (opinion) its a bad move.. its just going ot move more usres to pay (good for them, and very understandble why they did it) bad for those of us who prefer the smaller bill of prem for faster credits and not advantage. We are going to be going around with alot more pen from the average player.. you know.. those that dont understand where to shoot.. but now with the extra pen will still score ..

oh well 2 accounts with end level tanks (was boring).. Im back at baby level again.. amazing how you can stat up after a few million matchs starting over :) 60 battles in.. average kills per match 4, wins 74% alive at end of match 72% you can go back HOME!

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
never used gold shells (well not never, did test some) dont use gold tanks.. DO use Prem to level. Most seem to think the shells are an advantage (I do) which makes the game Pay 2 Win.. that catchs up with everybody eventally.. WoT is going strong, but if they continue on the Pay2Win path it will be bad.. PAY should never do anyting but streamline or shorten your path to endgame.. not give you an advantage over other players.

BUT they are not charging for gold shells you dumbaZZ! they are making um credits!.. it was Pay2 Win for forever. very true.. its like the local drug dealer giving you your first hit for free.. hook ya so you have to use..

as some have stated.. we will be seeing alot of um wizzin around.. I think (opinion) its a bad move.. its just going ot move more usres to pay (good for them, and very understandble why they did it) bad for those of us who prefer the smaller bill of prem for faster credits and not advantage. We are going to be going around with alot more pen from the average player.. you know.. those that dont understand where to shoot.. but now with the extra pen will still score ..

oh well 2 accounts with end level tanks (was boring).. Im back at baby level again.. amazing how you can stat up after a few million matchs starting over :) 60 battles in.. average kills per match 4, wins 74% alive at end of match 72% you can go back HOME!

If you think premium rounds is pay to win, you need to play some more...seriously.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Gold rounds means you don't have to aim on most tanks. Not pay to win but it certainly makes it easier to derp. You can still kill a bad player with skill but now they have a good chance of doing damage to you.

also what's the 3x occasion? Didn't see any specials...

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Gold rounds means you don't have to aim on most tanks. Not pay to win but it certainly makes it easier to derp. You can still kill a bad player with skill but now they have a good chance of doing damage to you.

also what's the 3x occasion? Didn't see any specials...

http://worldoftanks.eu/news/4246-road-golden-joystick/

To celebrate these last few days of votes, we are pleased to offer an in-game special! From 16th October at 07:30 CEST (05:30 GMT) until 23th October at 07:00 CEST (05:00 GMT) you will be able to enjoy 3x experience for the very first victory of the day!

;)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
oh heeeeey.

Time to retire the T-25/2! Only need 3k exp to get the t-28 proto so just 2 battles away!

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm going to use gold with the KV-2 running the 152mm. 206 pen will get through a lot of T8 and below tanks for 700 damage. Back to the glory days of the KV one shotting most on the field.

I have carried 4 gold rounds on my derp KV for half a year now. I use them RARELY. You need to know where you are going to hit the target so you don't get a 0% crit. So the situations that I can use them are against tier 7-8 tanks that are peek-a-booming with me. Not often.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
I have carried 4 gold rounds on my derp KV for half a year now. I use them RARELY. You need to know where you are going to hit the target so you don't get a 0% crit. So the situations that I can use them are against tier 7-8 tanks that are peek-a-booming with me. Not often.

I think most people are overreacting in regards to premium ammo.
Can't wait for 0.8.1 to go public :D

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I think most people are overreacting in regards to premium ammo.
Can't wait for 0.8.1 to go public :D

I agree. I've known people that only shoot gold. They still only hand a 50-52 win rate and average efficiency. They definitely aren't godlike. If anything using all gold is just going to make you broke in game instead of RL.

Also now that gold rounds will be silver purchasable, I wouldn't mind MM going back to a 3 tier spread. That way people can have a good reason to carry and use the gold rounds.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Also now that gold rounds will be silver purchasable, I wouldn't mind MM going back to a 3 tier spread. That way people can have a good reason to carry and use the gold rounds.

That simple change made a lot of tanks a LOT more bearable to grind and a lot better for low tier tanks who don't have to face tanks an order of magnitude better than them.

Gold rounds are expensive and very few players will actually buy them for constant use.

I hate those MM spreads where the lowbie tanks are just xp\credit material for the higher tiers.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I agree. No going back to the three tier spread if had my way.

Concerning Gold Ammo: Let us not forget its going to be a tempoary test period. If WG gets a huge up in arms bashing about it they'll most likely not make it permanent. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
They said it'll last until 8.2. So enjoy it while you can!

I wonder if premium round sales will affect this as well... It'll be nice to have some hard hitting rounds sitting there just in case.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
They said it'll last until 8.2. So enjoy it while you can!

I wonder if premium round sales will affect this as well... It'll be nice to have some hard hitting rounds sitting there just in case.

It's a way for WG to make people clear out their credits...if they fall for "premium ammo is pay to win" ;)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Just introducing new tanks is a good way to get people to clear out their credit bank. All this tank buying makes my bank drop a lot. I always push it right back back up though. I always keep at least 10 million creds in my bank. Dont know why. I just do. Allows me to buy one or two high end tanks as they become available to me. I know some people have way more than that in their bank. With the new British tanks just around the corner I'll probably go on a cred farming spree here soon to build the bank up even higher. 4 day weekend starting tomorrow so yeah. LOL

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Oh the horror of n00bs and lemmingstrains...
I blame the 3 x XP for first win.
Those kind of bonus allways atrracts all the n00bs and gameplay suffer.

I even saw a guy today.
+12.000 battles.
Eff of 870...
Of course he camped...

I wish MM would have the option to set a bar.
Eg. I do NOT want to play with players that have an efficiency rating more than xxx points below me.

Eg. 200.

So you could get rid of all those red-colored-soon.to-be-dead-n00bs-with-zero-kills-on own team.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The idiots do come out on these 3x weekends. But somehow I managed to go 10-5 last night.

I may be able to get to the T32 by the end of the weekend.