[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 288 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Repair is never a bad thing for a heavy. Camo is always bad for a heavy (can't hide it anyway). Anything that increases speed might be good too.

I have found one exception to what you said. Camo on my Lowe. When I first heard about it I scoffed at it but then I saw some Lowes blinking out fairly quick in my battles. At first I thought it was the invisi bug we sometimes run into in this game but after speaking to other Lowe players who run camo I found out its them running camo. Camo on the Lowe only works in certain situations though. Namely the medium and long ranges. So I tried it on my Lowe since my crew already had all the other important skills I wanted.

In my experience I found a camo net and 100% camo crew skill has helped me getting detected less frequently and once detected allows my tank to disappear off the enemy's sight faster. Again this only works at medium ranges or longer. This works in the Lowe's favor when used in a sniper role which is what I mainly use mine for. I will admit though there are more important skills to get for a Lowe. Like BIA, Repair, Fire, etc., but if you already have all that adding camo does offer some help in certain situations.

I've heard of Tiger I players doing this as well but I have never tried it on a Tiger I so cant say how well, if at all, it works. I have talked to a couple Tiger I players that swear by it though.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Victory!
Battle: Siegfried Line 29 September 2012 22:29:09
Vehicle: KV-1
Experience received: 1,958 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 26,713
Battle Achievements: Steel Wall, Master Gunner, Mastery Badge: "2nd Class"

Might like this KV... even though she is a slow pig.

Lost both tracks, the turret, view port, and destroyed my own engine (too much no limitter). So at teh end she really crawled lol... :thumbsup:

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Ouch next round not so good. Just got hit for 580 damage in 1 shot. 10 Hp left. Night night.

Victory!
Battle: Ensk 29 September 2012 22:41:24
Vehicle: KV-1
Experience received: 574
Credits received: 17,061

Not too bad.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
3 things:

1) I have been DESTROYING in pub matches and am rocking a 70% record in the past 7 days. I LOVE the new physics and screwing with people thinking they are safe and then you roll down behind them...

2) The new tech tree is actually making me nauseous when I try to use it. I can't actually use it for any length of time.

3) I was platooned over the weekend. I was in my 54 he was in his E50. We were defending earlinberg on the 9-0 line. He caused almost 6000 damage, I caused a touch over 4000 damage. We *almost* got the new team medal of getting 12 kills. As is he died in a duel to a KV5 (if the KV5 bounced one more shot he would have had the kill and the medal) and I was way low health and had to hide to run out the clock and win.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I've also been kicking some ass in pub matches since 8.0. Had 70%+ win rate this weekend with around 80 or so games. With only about half of those platooned. I think I got a new record damage in object 704 with almost 9k damage in one game. Its sad that you can no longer get a boelters medal, I dont know why they decided to take it out of the game.

I've at least gotten 2 "brothers in arms" medals so far since the patch. I would have more, but a certain someone was slacking in my platoon over the weekend. I wish they would add more platoon medals to the game.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I've at least gotten 2 "brothers in arms" medals so far since the patch. I would have more, but a certain someone was slacking in my platoon over the weekend. I wish they would add more platoon medals to the game.

Hey now, how did you get those two medals anyway???

Oh and I did an epic ram in my E50 yesterday to a T44. He was coming up a hill with a T32 behind him. I rammed the 44 for 700 damage, then the 44 hit the 32 for another 100 damage each. So they got to pay each other's repair bill for a ram I caused. MUAHAHAHAHA.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Hey now, how did you get those two medals anyway???

My memory is a little foggy.

Anyway I was more reffering to Mr. Turtle as I remember at least 2 games where we each had 3 kills and he only had one. Although there was at least one game where it was just me and you, and we both had 3 kills, but someone was dead. Not gonna name names though.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The new tech tree has me tilting my head to look at it from a top to bottom view LOL So weird.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Wargaming service stirkes again.

The other day, I had five hours before server reset to play - and the game wouldn't let me log in, saying I'd 'exceeded the playtime for a 24 hour period'.

I opened a ticket and said I wanted a day of premium added to make up for it. They didn't respond before the five hours were up.

They did respond and admit it was their fault and ignored the day of premium. I added another note pointing it out.

They responded 'sorry, the loss was minimal, so no replacement', then 'disregard the previous response', and then 'no reimbursement'.

I responded that they'll come out on the losing end for not doing the right thing, as I decide whether to purchase more gold.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Started yesterday off horrible. Going 1-5, and I almost rage quit due to my dumbass teams. I got it together and ended the day 9-6 at least. Its sad looking at the after battle stats and seeing how little damage some of your teammates did. Most games thier are easily 2-5 people on your team who did ZERO damage. Now a T-50-2 doing no damage, I'm fine with, but when its heavy tanks, they could have at least hit something before they died.

It also becomes very apparent who carried your team to victory. For example one of my matches yesterday I had 6500 damage in my object 704 and one of our arty had 3500. The rest of my team had less than 700 damage each. I'm at least grateful that even idiots can spot enemy tanks.

Looking at after battle stats, its easy to see that in most games on the winning side, its 2-4 people that are responsible for the heavy lifting. Its not a surprise that a platoon of 3 good players can achieve 60%+ win rates.

edit: The idiots were truly out in force yesterday when I was playing my Su-100 (tier 6 td). For a few of my games I was the ONLY person on both sides with over a 50% win ratio. Each team also had multiple 42-45%ers.

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Last night in my first battle using my 103 a T50-2 rushed in and managed to get past me and others. Our arty died as the T50-2 drove onto him and basically stayed there as the enemy arty rained down on that position. The arty guy was complaining about our team. I pointed out I hit the scout twice. First shot produced a penetration but no damage report and second shot killed him. Although by the time I shot a second time the T50-2 was all over our arty and it was too late.

This game does things that is not the fault of the players at times and people need to realize that. I'm in a big tank shooting 120mm ap shells and I hit a little tank at 50 meters and no damage? Don't be yelling at me. Yell at WG and their way of figuring damage in this game.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Last night in my first battle using my 103 a T50-2 rushed in and managed to get past me and others. Our arty died as the T50-2 drove onto him and basically stayed there as the enemy arty rained down on that position. The arty guy was complaining about our team. I pointed out I hit the scout twice. First shot produced a penetration but no damage report and second shot killed him. Although by the time I shot a second time the T50-2 was all over our arty and it was too late.

This game does things that is not the fault of the players at times and people need to realize that. I'm in a big tank shooting 120mm ap shells and I hit a little tank at 50 meters and no damage? Don't be yelling at me. Yell at WG and their way of figuring damage in this game.

They should have added physics to the tank rounds and how they hit enemy tanks. :p

I hate hitting with my JgPigE-100 and doing no damage. I hit a Chaffee twice with that 170mm doomcannon and all I did was "Penetration!" "We hit them!"

:'(

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
On most matches I end up in the top 3 unless I get instagibbed by arty. The stats page just re-confirms what I already know: there's 3-5 people on the team killing everyone, this ratio is pretty much upheld in every single FPS ever. Nothing new.

I'm just glad that in world of tanks that if a moron is in a big tank, he can spot for longer before dying which means I get more shots off. I always assume the whole entire team is going to die and leave me alone to clean up their mess, so I sometimes count the number of shells I have to see if its possible for me to kill the leftover tanks if they lemming into me.

And 0 damage hits... yeah. Overmatching doesn't seem to be working properly.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
A good platoon helps the win rate out nicely. Ended 25-8 for yesterday. A damn good run. I also got 2 top guns in a row with my su-100. That tank is very OP when top tier. It one shots tier 4 tanks. Best part is, my crew is only at 90% on that tank, and I can still decimate enemy teams with it.

I do hate the no damage crits though. Although I think in most cases you hit the tracks, but not one of the sprockets, so you get the pen and the flash but no actual damage, and the tank isn't tracked. You also get the "penetration" sound bit when piercing the first layer of spaced armor, even if you dont get through the second one. The super pershing is notorious for this due to its spaced armor.

For a helpful hint to everyone, shoot the super pershing in the flat part of the turret next to the gun. The lower and upper glacias of that tank is well armored and angled so much that penning it even with an object 704 is iffy.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Alright I broke down and tried out this patch over the last few days. Played about 60 games and moving along at a 71% win rate. I have to admit the physics really makes this game different and enjoyable.

I pushed a patton off the hill on airfield in my E50. He fell down and got tracked. So I decided why not follow him? Landed right on top of him. Sending him from 90% HP to about 3% and started a fire in which he died. He was laughing, teamates were laughing, and I was as well.

I also got the T29 and this thing can be a beast.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I am looking forward to pushing a certain someone out of the cap circle when he least expects it.

I am prepared to never sit near the edge of the cap circle anymore. We should use our new found power for good though, and push those worthless pubbies out of our cap. They don't deserve those points, we earned them.

I witnessed a T-50-2 fall off the hill on Prok when he tried to go around one of my teammates. He amazingly only lost half his health and both tracks. I got a nice laugh off that. I've also backed down lots of terrain to escape attacks. Lots of people dont even think about doing that.

I also got bitched at by team mates on a Korrellia assault for going up the hill. They were like "our TDs are gonna camp the hill" and "don't camp guys", "we lose our TDs are camping". I replied "you idiots, you can roll down the hill now." Which I did do after we killed the 2 tanks near the base. From that point I was able to get flanking shots on both sides the map, and then roll up the center and spot the arty.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Spent two hours playing today. Sucked. Kept dying to arty in the first two minutes. Just not my day.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Spent two hours playing today. Sucked. Kept dying to arty in the first two minutes. Just not my day.

Best thing to do is to never sit still unless you know for a fact that 1. you are not spotted, 2. you are in a completely arty safe spot, or 3. all the enemy arty is dead. Please note that if arty is not in thier "usual" arty places that some places you think are safe, are not actually safe. Also french and american arty have better arcing, so you are less safe behind obstacles.

If you are going to be moving, dont continue along a straight line. If you are fighting it out with other tanks, continously move back and forth while turning somewhat randomly (dont do this at the expense of exposing yourself to the tanks you are fighting though). All of this will fuck with arty, and decreases the chances they will hit you directly. As an arty I will shoot your dumbass teammate thats sitting completely still over someone thats constantly shifting around.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Best thing to do is to never sit still unless you know for a fact that 1. you are not spotted, 2. you are in a completely arty safe spot, or 3. all the enemy arty is dead. Please note that if arty is not in thier "usual" arty places that some places you think are safe, are not actually safe. Also french and american arty have better arcing, so you are less safe behind obstacles.

If you are going to be moving, dont continue along a straight line. If you are fighting it out with other tanks, continously move back and forth while turning somewhat randomly (dont do this at the expense of exposing yourself to the tanks you are fighting though). All of this will fuck with arty, and decreases the chances they will hit you directly. As an arty I will shoot your dumbass teammate thats sitting completely still over someone thats constantly shifting around.

Yeah, I know all that. I been playing this game since early beta. Just had one of those days when most battles had 4 or 5 arty per side. Cant hide or move fast enough in them big fat slow heavies. Just a bunch of bad luck.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Well, I MUST get fraps loaded so I can toss the best 30 second clip into youtube.

I was on sand river encounter in my 13-90. I go all over the map before disappearing from radar and then made an arty run. I lit up tanks on the way and was near death by the time I found all of the arty. There was a T44 chasing me the whole time trying to shoot/ram me. The last arty I lit up also tried to ram me. I dodged directly in between both tanks and they rammed each other tracking each other. I stayed in a safe spot and arty finished both off with a single shot.

Got patrol duty, and lost the match. Don't care... it was HYSTERICAL.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Yesterday I realized I only had 20k left to grind on my M4 1945 tank so I worked on that. Its been a while since I played in it. I actually had a good day and evening of grinding for a change. Not sure if the 8.0 patch made the M4 1945 better or was just me having a good day or luck. I got the AMX50 100 researched but havent bought it yet. Not sure if its worth buying. Besides that I really really hate the French tanks. Bad tanks to play so far from my experiences. The grind was just horrible before. Left a bad feeling for them in my mind.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I got my object 268 over the weekend. I unfortunately didn't move my object 704 crew over since I want to keep that as my tier 9 of choice. This decision has however made playing the 268 rather horrible since I pretty much started with a fresh crew. So far I'm at a 30% win rate out of 13 games.

I'm not even sure the tank is even an upgrade to the 704. It doesn't bounce any shots, and everyone just shoots the drivers hatch, so my driver is always dead. It also seems to always roll on the lower end of the average damage (850). It does however turn and move faster.

I'm sure once I get a full crew and full camo that the tank will start to be as much fun as the 704.