[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 287 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, they are really pushing the money machine - after battle shows "with premium" and "without premium."

The ridiculous screen brightness makes it feel like a tank battle on mars. How the hell do I fix that?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The ridiculous screen brightness makes it feel like a tank battle on mars. How the hell do I fix that?

Go into your game settings and in the graphics tab you will see the Gamma. Try lowering that and see if it helps. Be careful though because it will make your garage darker. It helped me. I think the default setting is like 50% on the slider bar. I set mine for about 25%.

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Go into your game settings and in the graphics tab you will see the Gamma. Try lowering that and see if it helps. Be careful though because it will make your garage darker. It helped me. I think the default setting is like 50% on the slider bar. I set mine for about 25%.

There's just something off about the new look - washed out to too dark as you adjust gamma. It's partly nice but partly not.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
It might look better to adjust the brightness on your monitor than the ingame gamma.

I'll also state again that I very much hate the new tech tree layouts. In my mind its broken.

They also have a nice little bug that you seem to be able to get upon loading a map that destroys your fps for that one game. I easily have 60+ fps most of the time, and when this happens, I'll have 10-15 fps for an entire map.

I haven't really had any problems with the new physics. I did witness a few people drown themselves in campinova and lakeville though. They also heavily changed up some of the maps, but its not that different. Gun elevation is now alot more important.

Playing tier 8 arty is like flushing credits down the toilet now on a loss. I'm glad I got my 500+ games in on my 261 to almost finish rounding out my third skill already. As if I needed to do that now, it would probably cost me millions of credits.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
There is a mod out to disable the bloom, I am going to try that when I get home today.

I absolutely LOVE the new physics and how much it alters the maps. I roll down some hills and get behind the enemy and shoot them from directions they never thought possible. Clan wars is going to be a complete mess and it is going to be great.

The ONLY dislike I have is the UI change with the tech tree. Even the individual tank tech tree was ultra complicated and hard to understand what the hell was going on. If they did a simple 90 degree rotation then that would be something, but they changed the entire look and display of the boxes. UG.

French released and kept me in this game (was seriously getting bored). Physics releases and I am REFRESHED.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Also now the tanks back down the hill at a furious pace. On campinova we lost the hill so I driving backwards going back down hill.... at 30 km/h. Still lost terribly because my team is filled with jackasses.

All the tanks seem slightly speedier and can break their top speed as well.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Also now the tanks back down the hill at a furious pace. On campinova we lost the hill so I driving backwards going back down hill.... at 30 km/h. Still lost terribly because my team is filled with jackasses.

All the tanks seem slightly speedier and can break their top speed as well.

It seems they dont hard limit the tank speed anymore. I guess this is good news for a T95 going downhill.

I also seemed to easily be breaking the top speed in my 261 on what seemed level ground. I do run gas in it though, so with the extra 5% HP I guess it lets me surpass my normal top speed.

edit: I hope they have an update out for WoT Stats by the time I get home today. Sure the ingame stats are awesome, but I still like to keep track of how I do for a days worth of playing.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
My S-51 seems to be gliding around a bit as well, judging from the tracks. I'm consistently hitting 25-30 km on level ground which is INSANE and I wouldn't even dream of it in 7.5. Almost as fast as a hummel pre-patch.... but still turns like a slug and can't go up hill at all.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Adjusting my gamma did help but it does look like a darker grittier world now. Some may find that appealing. My biggest gripe right now is the tech tree. They went horizontal so they would have more room as future tree lines come about they say. I don't like it, as many dont if you read the rants on their forums, but I think we are stuck with it. The new gun sounds are pretty cool. First time I saw a guy drive off a big cliff I said in open chat, 'I give that dive an 8'. Everyone was laughing and giving their own rating to it as well. The guy, PzIV tank, was laughing too. Great fun. Its nice to see people making jokes and stuff more than whining. That probably wont last long though.

Have you T50-2 owners got your tank to drift yet? It looks pretty cool.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out, but my screen looks nothing like his "before" screen - mine is far worse - it's crazy bright and really just looks like crap. There's also a crapload of (annoying) dust kicked up by the tanks now. I assume that my graphics settings were adjusted in the patch and I need to tweak some things.

Whats up with the tank firing sounds? They all sound a LOT closer now.

I've played a whole two games since the patch. Once in my T-50-2 just to see the rally car effect (which REALLY sucks, I was blown to crap during a power slide), and once in my T30 (feels faster).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
all the tanks glide terribly. They need to fix the traction or the game will just feel like tanks doing powerslides and I don't have L and R buttons to tap for blue sparks.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Well the changes to the PigE100 seem to be pretty good. I'm having a lot more fun with it in 8.0 than I did before. The E4 is less uber but still good I think. I'm liking the patch, the physics don't create too many crazy situations, but the freedom on the map is the game changer. No more invisible walls against off colored terrain. Firing positions are much changed too, it's a nice breath of fresh air for the game.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out, but my screen looks nothing like his "before" screen - mine is far worse - it's crazy bright and really just looks like crap. There's also a crapload of (annoying) dust kicked up by the tanks now. I assume that my graphics settings were adjusted in the patch and I need to tweak some things.

Whats up with the tank firing sounds? They all sound a LOT closer now.

I've played a whole two games since the patch. Once in my T-50-2 just to see the rally car effect (which REALLY sucks, I was blown to crap during a power slide), and once in my T30 (feels faster).

The dust kicking up is the game itself. Physics really shows that stuff off. Have you noticed a arty shell landing in the ground now? Lot more dust and debris going up and filling the area. Supposed to be more realistic now. Looks cool but I hate when it messes with my ability to see through it. LOL

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
it could become a viable tactic. Smoke screens were often used to conceal numbers for all facets of warfare... now only if it actually provided some actual cover.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
it could become a viable tactic. Smoke screens were often used to conceal numbers for all facets of warfare... now only if it actually provided some actual cover.

Yeah but arty usually dont have enough shells to waste like that. Thankfully for us non arty players.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This is new:

I went to the game and found a message window:

'Your account is suspended until 5PM, reason exceeded playtime in 24 hours'.

What the heck? I've played a few matches, I leave the game running, and have for a year with no problem - now I can't log in the rest of the day until reset.

I opened a ticket, but wanted to let people know.

Update: it looks like others are getting this and got a response it's a problem they're looking into, and open a ticket if it happens.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Yeah but arty usually dont have enough shells to waste like that. Thankfully for us non arty players.

oh no not for arty, but for smaller tanks kicking up dust and whatnot, and there's enough tanks with derp guns and it could be a useful tactic with HE shells. But 1k shells etc.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
KV-1 - what skills to go for?

Cammo? Repair?

It's my first ever heavy.

Also thinking of starting spgs up again - so which line should I venture down?

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Repair is never a bad thing for a heavy. Camo is always bad for a heavy (can't hide it anyway). Anything that increases speed might be good too.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
KV-1 - what skills to go for?

Cammo? Repair?

It's my first ever heavy.

Also thinking of starting spgs up again - so which line should I venture down?

repairs first. BIA second. Some people would argue the other way around but these 2 are fairly essential. The 3rd skill is up to you really. This set of skills should last you until the end of the heavy line, at which point you can train up your 3rd skill in a tier 9 or 10.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
^ I second what PowerYoga said. Some say BIA first since it needs 100% before it kicks in and that first skill can be done faster than waiting for the second line. Most my tanks have repair first but that is because BIA came in only recently. Nowadays I go BIA first unless its a TD and I need camo asap.