[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 274 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow first time back since d3 released and i'm getting my ass handed to me
the e50 feels slower, did the t54 gun change? i have reload automatically and it wouldn't let me enter the game w/o buying all new shells again....

from reading the forums stick with the t54 and get the tier X last

working on going past the obj 704 now

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Finally got the Maus researched.
Now I just need to grind 1.8 mil credits...not counting modules.
Gonna be fun to try out...now that it got a buff :D

Time to dust of the Löwe :cool:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
how are you guys recording gameplays?

Man, I'm on fire with my T-50. 0 kills but fucking up the other side so bad.

20k XP until T-50-2!

fraps.

The OBJ is actually the worst of the new TDs. There's no gun traverse on it so it will rarely have the camo bonus active. The new american TD (t110 E5 or something) is tremendously powerful and terrifying. It can also hull down real well.

Not sure about the T-54. AFAIK there's not been any changes to it if it's fully upgraded, but it had a bit of a boost to the stock.

E-50 got nerfed but not in the acceleration/speed department I think. Just gun reload and traverse bloom.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
The 110E4 is the best TD, that turret makes it godly. All the other TDs play the same with the E100Pig being easy artybait. It's armor had to have been nerfed because it doesn't bounce shit compared to beta.

I don't see too many Objects though, it's got a great gun and camo and very fast. Like anything it's up to the player to play it right.

Bad thing about the American TDs is they have very little gun depression so that lower hull gets exposed a lot if they aren't careful.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Going to try to get back into this game..

I hit a wall when my experience to upgrade are like 100k+

I'm currently rolling an ISU-152, IS (first lvl), T29, Hummel, T43, Lowe.

Ugh...any tips or tricks to maximizing experience? I have like 1250 gold..but realistically we just had a baby so I can't really take the premium membership due to lack of time.

All of those tanks are fully upgraded...

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Tankers!

We're kicking off this months Tech Tree specials with a few of the US tanks. We'll be offering similar specials for every nation thoughout the month of August. If US tanks are your thing, then take a peek at the Events Calendar to find out when your tree is scheduled!

Starting today August 6, 2012 and lasting until 04:00 PDT on August 9, 2012 (11:00 UTC) the following bonuses will be active. Curious what time this is in your region? Use this handy Time Zone Converter to help you out.
The following tanks are being offered at a 50% discount:

T18
T82
T40
M10 Wolverine
M36 Slugger
T25AT

Please keep in mind that selling the above listed tanks during the sale will only yield a 50% return of the sale price as credits.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

Ugh...any tips or tricks to maximizing experience? I have like 1250 gold..but realistically we just had a baby so I can't really take the premium membership due to lack of time.

Depends on what you are wanting to do. If you plan to continue down one of the existing lines you just keep on grinding. If you find credits hard to get or maintain jump into your Lowe as needed because it will be your best credit earner win or lose.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

There isn't much you can do for free but grind, do dailies.

If you want to spend, there's premium; and grinding a premium tank and converting exp.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

With the ISU you have one of the most feared guns in the game. However, I liked to snipe with it and had moderately good success with it. The ISU has shit armor, the traverse is terrible and the reload is slow. You shouldn't be seen if possible as you can't bounce anything. However if you're forced into brawling mode, I'd shotgun with it, ram the other guy and hope you can get a 2nd shot off before the guy gets off to your side. Never take the lead with the ISU, you're just looking to get shot up. If your side dies, retreat and relocate to a better position.

T-29 is a great hull down tank, never really had a problem with it and I didn't employ any special tactics besides hulling down as much and as often as possible. Facehug if you know what you're doing, and learn the good hulldown spots.

Lowe is a sniper, don't push with it unless you're the only heavy on your side. Bring repair kits for the inevitable engine damage and don't take too many pot shots, the shells are expensive. The side armor is very thin so employing reverse peakaboo isn't the best idea. Try to not get caught alone by a medium, you WILL get strafed to death.

T-43 and IS are both brawlers, play them as such. the IS is great for PAB because of its alpha with the 122, angle the tank a bit and you can bounce some shots as well. It has great speed and is decently agile, I played both of these very aggressively with dogfighting and flanking shots. Don't bother sniping with either, the 100mm sucks for that. Anything past 300 m is a crapshoot.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Solid info!

Thanks.

I also noticed I have a KV-3 in the garage that could go to KV-4..I wonder which is the more entertaining route..the IS or KV-4 route..

I already am going down the T29 American Heavy Route.

I have the SU-152...not the ISU:( I didn't know if I should upgrade the guns (Even though the DERP Stock gun is the best for leveling) before I unlocked the ISU.

Played my Grille yesterday...5 kills..barely broke even on repairs+ammo...what the hell?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
arty doesn't make money. Remember as arty, half of your damage "profits" go to the spotter, plus they nerfed the credit income as well. Play your lowe if you want money!

For the SU? Just derp everything, sniping from 300-400m was very common for me. The 122 is great, but ammo is expensive and prone to bouncing. Very high DPS but the bounces killed the gun for me. Rather be a fearsome derp.

The IS-4 sucks balls. Get the IS-7 if you want, but neither russian tier 10s are very good compared to the T-110. I'd focus on the T-110 if anything, not sure if people are still using IS-7s for clan wars.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
arty doesn't make money. Remember as arty, half of your damage "profits" go to the spotter, plus they nerfed the credit income as well. Play your lowe if you want money!

For the SU? Just derp everything, sniping from 300-400m was very common for me. The 122 is great, but ammo is expensive and prone to bouncing. Very high DPS but the bounces killed the gun for me. Rather be a fearsome derp.

The IS-4 sucks balls. Get the IS-7 if you want, but neither russian tier 10s are very good compared to the T-110. I'd focus on the T-110 if anything, not sure if people are still using IS-7s for clan wars.

Yeah..I've attempted slogging through the russian heavy line...its not as fun as I was led to believe..

I went up to Tiger I on german side and didn't like it..

Abandon Russian heavy line and go French heavy line?

I'll Focus on the T29 and SU-152 and T-43 for now..Lowe for credits.

Maybe I'll pick up a french medium or heavy? Any thoughts there?

I enjoy Arty..but besides the daily double I think I'll shelf my hummel.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Yeah..I've attempted slogging through the russian heavy line...its not as fun as I was led to believe..

ISU-152 with BL-10 is worth getting, lot of fun. T-44 is nice over t-43. GW Panther is nice after hummel but both are good.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

The soviet heavy line was pretty nice when it went IS-IS3-IS4-IS7. That lineup was really solid and a lot of fun. The new split tree appears to be pretty blah to crap imo.

I suggest running up a medium tree now. Speed, decent enough armor\hp, and great guns. Or the T110 is still a solid heavy.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

The Tiger II and E-75 are my favorite tanks in the game. I love bouncing shells. (yes, even in the tiger II you can bounce stuff). Tiger is admittedly only ok but it should be decent now with the better matchmaker. The long 88 makes the tiger fun to play.

To be honest I find the russian medium line rather meh. American mediums are much more fun to drive imo, punchy run and gun style with decent mobility. Russians are pretty much meh all the way around, and are limited to brawling. All russian mediums seem to have ammo rack problems as well. However, american tanks have no armor.

I'd go up american heavy line. Much more tactical and hulling down is fun for me. French heavies and mediums are extremely different in playstyle. The revolver gameplay focuses on big bursts of damage and non-sustainable combat, which is not fun if you're not into that sort of stuff. I like to refer to them as the ninjas of WOT: come in, kill 2 tanks, and either die or scoot off to be a non-issue for the next minute and half. Or if you catch a heavy by itself, you have a good chance of killing it. However, traverse sucks, aim time sucks, load time sucks, paper thin armor and get used to being 1-shotted by arty. Not to mention tiers 1-5 are fucking painful to level.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
wow I suck at the t-50-2 so bad

-credits every game

can't even afford the upgrades lol

i actually prefer playing the t-50 right now!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

-credits every game

Like pretty much any tank, the upgrades will help.

Last edited:

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just spent 110k free exp (all ground out exp, none converted) for the Jgpz100. I still have to sell my JT and my E100 to fund it. I am so beyond pissed at my E100 right now that I am looking forward to not seeing it in my garage ever again.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

-credits every game

T-50-2 WILL lose money, even with a premium account it's hard to break even. It's a "fun" tank, not a money tank.

The only time I made money was when I spotted the whole entire other team, kept them in sight so our TDs and arty could rip them apart, or when I go out and solo a KT/ lone heavy by myself. If I even have to use a repair kit/medkit? lose money guaranteed.

The repairs are expensive, so if you don't get hit its possible you'll make money. If you even get tapped you probably owe a 10k repair bill.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006

I am going to disagree with you here. Both the IS4 and IS7 are used in CW battles quite a bit. That said I would still rank them 110 > IS7 > IS4, but the IS7 isn't that far off the 110 for me. I have both and love to use either of them.

The 50B is probably the most underpowered heavy right now IMO. Yes it has a great gun, but it doesn't make up for its low armor and the fact that during reloads, you better be able to hide. It must be driven as if its a 13 90 imo. The batchat is a far better option if you want to go french. Its probably the 2nd best med now behind the new M48.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Not familiar with clan wars, but I'd imagine the only reason you'd field IS-4 over an IS-7 is if you don't have enough IS-7s to fill the tier X slots. The frontal armor sucks especially against gold rounds, its slow compared to IS-7 and the only advantage is the slightly faster and more accurate gun that deals less damage... and I guess a bit more hp. There's really no strategic reason to field them when mobility is so important.

In pubs I also rank the IS-7 higher than the IS-4. Normal AP rounds pen the front of an IS-4 just fine and with IS-7 you can bully lower tiers into submission via facehugging. IS-4 is too slow to get into a good position, and its sluggish.

1ceHacka

Mar 3, 2006
Not familiar with clan wars, but I'd imagine the only reason you'd field IS-4 over an IS-7 is if you don't have enough IS-7s to fill the tier X slots. The frontal armor sucks especially against gold rounds, its slow compared to IS-7 and the only advantage is the slightly faster and more accurate gun that deals less damage... and I guess a bit more hp. There's really no strategic reason to field them when mobility is so important.

In pubs I also rank the IS-7 higher than the IS-4. Normal AP rounds pen the front of an IS-4 just fine and with IS-7 you can bully lower tiers into submission via facehugging. IS-4 is too slow to get into a good position, and its sluggish.

Don't ask me why, but I've seen replays of teams fielding nothing but Maus and IS-4's along with their arty, batchat, Patton, and 50-2.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Could be an old tactic and people dont want to regrind tanks to get IS7s and T110s. I have been dabbling in clanwars. And for the most part we run into teams of T110s and IS7s with a patton or batchat for spotting with 2-3 arty. We run 1 batchat, 2 arty, and usually a split between T110s and IS7s. Those two heavies are the best due to pretty good armor, guns, and they can actually get around the battlefield. IS4s, Maus,E100s are too slow imo. They are just big arty targets and dont have enough to warrant a spot. Though,the maus might be a good base defender due to its amount of HP.