[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 268 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Just about done with this game. I no longer get enjoyment playing pubs anymore and I never enjoyed clan wars. I like being part of a clan and using TS to coordinate with others in pubs, but clan wars is just too much pressure for a game. Having to defend myself for my actions when I have the stats that show how much damage I did and so forth just puts me off. Like when I did 9700 damage in my 261 but we still drew, or when I did 4000 damage in my E100 but we lost.

Playing with my real life friends is the only time I still have fun, and those times are few and far between. Sigh, wargaming made a pretty penny on me for a year of playing.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
Just about done with this game. I no longer get enjoyment playing pubs anymore and I never enjoyed clan wars. I like being part of a clan and using TS to coordinate with others in pubs, but clan wars is just too much pressure for a game. Having to defend myself for my actions when I have the stats that show how much damage I did and so forth just puts me off. Like when I did 9700 damage in my 261 but we still drew, or when I did 4000 damage in my E100 but we lost.

Playing with my real life friends is the only time I still have fun, and those times are few and far between. Sigh, wargaming made a pretty penny on me for a year of playing.

Sounds like you entered the wrong clan.
I don't do clans...I find they have the same idiot ratio as pubs do.
But I will platoon with friends...that is always fun :)

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Sounds like you entered the wrong clan.
I don't do clans...I find they have the same idiot ratio as pubs do.
But I will platoon with friends...that is always fun :)

Possibly, but the clan I joined last year folded and became a new clan. That new clan also folded and was integrated into the current one. I get along with the group and I regularly platoon with the guys from the original clan who made it with me to this one. We have a good rapport but the games are just... blah.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
What I'm really unhappy with is the current trend of introducing a new, OP tank (or tanks)... then nerfing it/them a patch or two later.

It makes a lot of sense from the business perspective--your good, money-spending players will recognize the new tanks as good/OP and pay to speed up their grinds. Then after you capture the initial market of people willing to do this (which if it follows the trend of 'early adopters', is the bulk of the audience willing to do this at all), you nerf the OP tanks in the name of balance.

The last several tank releases have followed this trend. The upcoming tierX meds/TDs appear to be no different. I find this trend to be a disturbing one.

Yes, this is one of my gripes too. In fact from reading the posts on the forums and in game talk during 7.4 testing the testers constantly told WG the many problems but WG ignored the testers completely. 7.4 is one of WG biggest goofs because of this.

I'm of the opinion WG is now going down the road of many failed and broken MMOs before them have gone where new content, not well thought out, is more important than fixing problems or what some may call quantity over quality. This road leads to ruin and I wish they'd stay off this path.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Sounds like you got in with the wrong clan. This is alot of what happened to me and my first clan that I joined. While I liked the people and grouping with them, they were all essentially bad at tanks and lacked real leadership. The fact that we actually took and held land for a short period of time, was, well... amazing. Once we started losing clan wars (not surprising when most people had less than 50% win ratios) things started falling apart. As people started blaiming everyone else for the loss, instead of us learning from the experience, feelings got hurt, and everything went to shit.

The clan I'm in now is a whole new world. Our clan commander is a hell of a guy. He doesn't keep secrets and updates us on everything thats going on every night for our clan wars meetings. When it comes to clan wars, the Field Commander is ultimately responsible for the win/loss, since its the overall strategy that wins games, and not a single individual. Either way, if we lose a battle, its a learning experience, and not a big deal as we will get the land back.

The clan also splits gold evenly based on meeting/training attendance (regardless if you get picked to play in a CW battle that night or not). Weekly gold income has been around 750-1200 gold, which will pay for premium and gold rounds for CW.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have been burned out of this game for a few months. I barely played this month. And there is little desire logon and play. And with the eventual crapfest that is going to hit with 7.5. That motivation is going to go lower and lower.

I feel like they are changing the game too much too quickly. It started with the French patch that blew open a new approach to the game. Then the American and Soviet tanks in subsequent months and the new game modes. And now T10 mediums and TDs. Forget heavies unless you are a T110 or IS7. German heavies forget it.

It seems by the time you finally figure out a new approach to the current lineup new lineups show up that you have to deal with. I know I know, deal with it. But it is frustrating when you are relearning playstyles due to major game changes only to have to learn something new a month later.

And there are issues with the game itself. MM is borked to all hell. Penetrations for no damage. Splash damage from 30 feet away causes module damage. I cant count the number of times my IS7 lost a gun from an arty shell that dropped tens of feet away. The essen drift pisses me off to high heaven. It happens when I am not even moving. The eff!

And I am burned out of my E50 managing to attract the worst teams in the history of online gaming. It is now at 48% win rate. The worst by a long shot of all the tanks I am currently playing(IS7(76%, Pershing 58%, E50 48%,Type59 56%). And the E50m doesnt look like it is going to be a worthy upgrade compared to the rest. And I am not sure I have the mental fortitude to grind through a few hundred games in the Pershing and Patton to get the M48. Pershing really disappointed me and the patton I understand is a slower version of a pershing.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I have been burned out of this game for a few months. I barely played this month. And there is little desire logon and play. And with the eventual crapfest that is going to hit with 7.5. That motivation is going to go lower and lower.

I feel like they are changing the game too much too quickly. It started with the French patch that blew open a new approach to the game. Then the American and Soviet tanks in subsequent months and the new game modes. And now T10 mediums and TDs. Forget heavies unless you are a T110 or IS7. German heavies forget it.

It seems by the time you finally figure out a new approach to the current lineup new lineups show up that you have to deal with. I know I know, deal with it. But it is frustrating when you are relearning playstyles due to major game changes only to have to learn something new a month later.

And there are issues with the game itself. MM is borked to all hell. Penetrations for no damage. Splash damage from 30 feet away causes module damage. I cant count the number of times my IS7 lost a gun from an arty shell that dropped tens of feet away. The essen drift pisses me off to high heaven. It happens when I am not even moving. The eff!

And I am burned out of my E50 managing to attract the worst teams in the history of online gaming. It is now at 48% win rate. The worst by a long shot of all the tanks I am currently playing(IS7(76%, Pershing 58%, E50 48%,Type59 56%). And the E50m doesnt look like it is going to be a worthy upgrade compared to the rest. And I am not sure I have the mental fortitude to grind through a few hundred games in the Pershing and Patton to get the M48. Pershing really disappointed me and the patton I understand is a slower version of a pershing.

You get yelled at if you don't give new tanks or game modes: "WOT SLACKING WRU <insert nation> TANKS WRU NEW GAME MODES", you get yelled at if you do: "WTF OP TANKS NERF WTF RUSSIAN BIAS". The thing is, all development effort has been put in months ago, and suddenly you got a lot of deliverables from different teams all hitting at the same time. So it seems like they're doing a lot all at once... but you're damned if you push out patches fast, you're damned if you spend more time tweaking.

I never had a problem learning new styles... the french tanks are really not my cup of tea, so I stopped playing them. I learn how to fight them, but they're easy to kill and I love seeing them in games because they're free exp. And I've NEVER had a problem with the german tanks either. Tiger? Ok somewhat squishy, 51% win rate for me. Tiger II, 59% win. E-75? 61%. E-50? 63%. I honestly don't know what the problem is???

MM sucks, but they're addressing that. 0 damage pens are annoying for sure, but they've been actively trying to fix that. The module damage lately... well, to be fair I haven't seen much of that. I get about as much dead crew as I do normally, and on the odd occasion I'll get whacked by arty and lose 2-3 modules: but that's pretty normal for me since I play defensively and you'll find me behind cover 90% of the time.

There are a lot of issues raised by the community that I also see are being addressed. The e-100 turret being one of them... it's getting 10mm of armor and maus is getting 20mm. So as far as I can see they ARE seeing and adjusting accordingly.

random sidenote: I'm growing fairly fond of the T-20. Shame I'll have to let it go soon. Without premium:

Victory!
Battle: El Halluf Tuesday, July 24, 2012 1:10:59 PM
Vehicle: T20
Experience received: 1,374
Credits received: 30,680
Battle Achievements: Böelter's Medal, Top Gun, Sniper

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
The E100 main issue, to me at least, isn't so much the turret, especially now that they are buffing it, but that the gun has subpar pen and reload, (accuracy buff did help though) and the lower hull of course. It could also use a further HP buff, IMO a tank that big should have a bit more HP than the IS4, considering the general trend in German heavies having more HP than the other nations competitors, at cost generally of speed.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The E100 main issue, to me at least, isn't so much the turret, especially now that they are buffing it, but that the gun has subpar pen and reload, (accuracy buff did help though) and the lower hull of course. It could also use a further HP buff, IMO a tank that big should have a bit more HP than the IS4, considering the general trend in German heavies having more HP than the other nations competitors, at cost generally of speed.

Agreed with the gun. I have no idea what their intention is but I guess they want to keep it like a shotgun... which is bad considering it doesn't have much pen.

The pershing is pretty sweet. Don't have the top track or the turret yet but got my mastery badge on it already. Paper thin armor everywhere though, I can't even reliably hull down because the gun shield gets penetrated by everything. But I guess thats the trend with the mediums anyways. The tank is nimble, the turret traverses super fast as well.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

All I would love from the E100 is more pen. Armor doesn't matter, not with the new tanks 300mm silver ammo pen. Reload doesn't matter to me, I ALWAYS liked high alpha guns. I can maneuver to cover and wait to reload to smack again.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Worked :thumbsup:

How do you get it to tell you where you need to improve?

The easiest is to look at your tank details and see where you are lacking. Missing too much, not doing damage in the tank, etc. What is really fun is to then look at similar vehicles and see if you need to improve on a whole fleet of vehicles. I know I am damn good in arty, I also know I am damn good in heavies. I further know I am not so good in mediums, and I absolutely SUCK in scouts (tier 1-3 does not count).

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I never bought the E-100 due to all the horror stories I've read about how much the gun sucks. I'll probably pick it up when I feel the need to blow 6+ million credits. I'll probably pick up the T110 before i get the E-100, assuming I ever finish my slow grinding of my M103.

On the other front, I'm only 3k away from my E-50 and about 19k away from my batchat. Amazingly my mediums have some of my best win ratios.

BTW thanks for the platoon yesterday Possessed. I think we had around a 75-80% win ratio. Hit me up anytime you see me on, we worked pretty well together.

As for WOT statistics, it wont explicitly tell you what you need to do to improve, but if you look, the information is there. For instance, my defense points are considerably lacking, but I expect that, as I dont base camp, nor do I wait to fire on a base capper so that I get more points. I also wouldn't neccessarily look at your tank efficiency either. Look more at your average damage per game and your damage ratio and your accuracy per tank. You should always try to have a damage ratio of > 1 (output more damage per game than you take). If thats not the case, you really need to look on improving that, either by learning to use cover more effectivly, or hitting more targets. For any tank your accuracy should be around 75% or better, for most arty, 25-35% is actually pretty good.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
WOT has been out long enough the hardcore are all in high end.. and about all they have to do is bitch. I love how some OP tank is running ripshod and when its "nerfed" its all littel girls complaining.. NOTHING in the game bugs me as much as the dipshits who play it.. dont get me wrong, many are great.. but there are some that can make the game almost unbearble to play.

OH and the t59.. i hate that tank. First produced in 58... isnt this WWII? I know 90% of the tanks in the game are wet dreams.. but almost all where on paper during WWII

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
WOT has been out long enough the hardcore are all in high end.. and about all they have to do is bitch. I love how some OP tank is running ripshod and when its "nerfed" its all littel girls complaining.. NOTHING in the game bugs me as much as the dipshits who play it.. dont get me wrong, many are great.. but there are some that can make the game almost unbearble to play.

OH and the t59.. i hate that tank. First produced in 58... isnt this WWII? I know 90% of the tanks in the game are wet dreams.. but almost all where on paper during WWII

Whenever I see a T-59 I go for the kill...even if I might die right after killing it...I just hate that tank.

It funny too look at too.
German tnaks go to WWII prototypes/Blueprint.
The russian line goes to tnnks introduced in the late 1950's

Like a Type 59 or a T-54.

Same with the US (M103)

Or the french AMX-13 and AMX-50

I want to freaking Leopard 1A1..it started development in 1954...BEFORE the T-59.

But I guess all the RU players would whine like no tommorow if that happend...national pride taking a dump ;)

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
All people will bitch about something in a game this big. You have to sift through the little girl whining to the real problems, and some of them are legitimate complaints. The tanks also go through to cold war era tanks as indicated by the types and pattons and whatever.

And the leopard 1 has been announced already.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa429/Wasted4440/germany_tree_fullru_r.jpg

edit: The leopard has paper armor with ammo stored in the front. I'm not sure why you people are all so excited about this cardboard tank.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Whenever I see a T-59 I go for the kill...even if I might die right after killing it...I just hate that tank.

It funny too look at too.
German tnaks go to WWII prototypes/Blueprint.
The russian line goes to tnnks introduced in the late 1950's

Like a Type 59 or a T-54.

Same with the US (M103)

Or the french AMX-13 and AMX-50

I want to freaking Leopard 1A1..it started development in 1954...BEFORE the T-59.

But I guess all the RU players would whine like no tommorow if that happend...national pride taking a dump ;)

I know i can deal with it nowdays. its when i was in the same tier (or, shudder below it) as it.. super low profile, great speed, good gun, good turren speed, decent reload times, most tanks in its tier it was just flat scarry to deal with.. I know the fanboys can say its based on a tank from WWII..

And i know its a game.. some liberties must be taken to keep it fun.. I had some hate for the Lowe to start.. but its got plenty of weakness.. slow, slow turrent, just ok reload speed.. I can work on it and do some damage.. but back in the tiers with the 59.. boucnes non stop, front low armour is weak my ass... not till you tier over it.. shot low on sides or back of turrent.. this works.. to bad its so damn low and any player (even dumb ones) will keep the turrent facing you. and park behind something.. Gas tanks in back.. yep.. almost all tanks are weak in back.. hence all players keep the back of EVERY tank away from you..About hte only thing i notice is its easy to detrack and some concintrated fire makes short work of it.

its not really OP, its just better then GOOD in most repspects for its tier. All the guys with big guns in higher tires all say its nothing.. to them it isnt.

hate it just an opinion.. not stopping me from playing game. Even own one, but my "stand" is to never play it.. weak i know.. but gotta stand for what you belive in sometimes..

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
All people will bitch about something in a game this big. You have to sift through the little girl whining to the real problems, and some of them are legitimate complaints. The tanks also go through to cold war era tanks as indicated by the types and pattons and whatever.

And the leopard 1 has been announced already.

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa429/Wasted4440/germany_tree_fullru_r.jpg

edit: The leopard has paper armor with ammo stored in the front. I'm not sure why you people are all so excited about this cardboard tank.

LOL.
I have driven Leopard1A5DK and Leopard 2A5DK in the Danish Army...this is just silly.

Leopard's do not have ammo stored in the front...LOL
And it dosn't have paper amour..2 x LOL

I don't mind different tanks getting minor tweaks for the sake of "balance"...but this is just stupid...3 x LOL

Reality even depcits this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bøllebank

Casualties and losses:
Serbian side

Between 9 (Serb sources) and 150 (Other sources) soldiers killed.
Ammunition store destroyed.
Three T-55 tanks scared off (disabled according to other sources)

Danish side
1 vehicle damaged

The damage?
leopard1cfbborden2.jpg

That hook got damaged ;)

I wonder what is next?

They are going to put the engine in front too?
Even if the drive wheels are clearly in the back...

4 x LOL!!!

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The T59 was a bone they threw to their Chinese players. The devs never originally planned to put it in game. Rarely see more than one of them in a fight these days. I consider the French fast moving 6 shooters more of a problem really. They are always in every battle in numbers. Since the T59 got bumped up in tier level battles I dont think they are as much of a problem as they used to be. Its them damn French 6 shooters that piss me off nowadays. They can shoot 6 times to my 1, or 2 sometimes depending on tank. Stupid Devs.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Not exactly clear on the schematics they're using but the one I saw on the forums has ammo storage in the front and only about 20? or 40? mm of sloped armor. You're going to have to do the digging as I can't access the forums at work, but the leopard 1 has gone through various variants and the version you're talking about is clearly not the one they're using.

edit: Armor thicknesses.

All-welded steel hull, all-cast turret. Hull armor thickness: 70mm@55 (nose); 70mm@60 (glacis); 35mm@50 (upper side); 25mm@90 (lower sides); 25mm@88 (rear) 10mm (top); 15mm (floor).
Turret: 60mm (mantlet); 52mm (front); 60mm (sides and rear)

Last edited: