[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 261 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
?? about arty:

Do I aim for the top of the turret or the engine, or does this actually depend on the tank I am targeting?

If you are in an accurate arty (object 261 or all the french arty) then what you aim for really depends on how the tank is oriented. If he's facing towards you, his back end is almost impossible to hit without risking an altogether miss (since the turret is in the way). At that point aim for the top of the turret. In other instances, try to aim for the top of the back end of the tank.

If your targetting reticle is very elongated, then don't bother aiming at the top of the tank. It'll increase your risk of missing altogether, and the shot comes in at such an angle that even if you do hit the top of the tank, its chance of penetrating is greatly reduced. So in these cases its best to aim where it maximizes your chance of hitting, as hitting and doing damage is preffered to missing.

Also from over 1000 arty games, the E-50 and IS-7s top turrets/hatches seem to be the most susceptable to top penetrating shots.

What arty tree are you going down?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I typically do not aim ON the tank itself but just past it, especially with the 261. That arc is so shallow that I find aiming at the ground past the tank means the shell is going to hit the side of the tank in its effort to hit.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I had an amazing match the other night in my Ren. UE 57
Was playing an encounter match on Himmelsdorf.
Ended up being the last person alive on my team vs 5 enemies.
A M-3 Stuart, another UE 57, a BT-7, a PZ2 and a PZ 35t.
The BT-7 and PZ2 were on the cap point, I came up from the right side of the map along the railroad tracks. Put three shots into the BT-7 before they realized what was going on and tried to hide.
Both of them tried taking pot shots at me, missing all of them as I picked both off.
The PZ 35 came around the corner at low health, one shot finished him off.
I started capturing the point, the other UE 57 came from the direction I had.
We started shooting at each other, he hit me once and missed all of his other shots, I hit all of mine.
I was capping the point knowing the the M-3 was out there.
He eventually showed up in the same spot at the rail crossing as the PZ 35 did, his first shot hit and did a ton of damage.
I just kept pumping shells in to him as his subsequent shots missed or did little damage.
I was amazed when he went down and I had won 5 vs 1.
Managed to earn a Kolobanov's Medal for it.

Last edited:

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Only if it turns NOT like the E-50.

E-50 is fast but it can't stop and it turns almost as bad as the A-20.

Also the Leopard has frontal ammo racks.... protected by like a 30 mm armor. Feeling this might not be the best medium...

Last edited:

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Finally researched the M4 1945. Now I can get out of this ARL44 once and for all and sell the PoS. Not that the M4 1945 is really much better but one step closer to the T8 tank amx50/100 which is when things start to get good in the line. If I decide to go that far. The x2 credit bonus made me some money too while grinding out the ARL44 last two days. Made the battle losses not as aggravating and the wins that much more profitable. Actually made 50k+ a few times. Cant do that on normal.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Panther II, what a POS...until the long 88! I had the 75 on there for sooo long, grinding the XP for the 88, and I hated every minute. They are both tier 8 guns, but the 88 makes it a totally different tank.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Panther II, what a POS...until the long 88! I had the 75 on there for sooo long, grinding the XP for the 88, and I hated every minute. They are both tier 8 guns, but the 88 makes it a totally different tank.

Yup, Panther 2 with that long 88 is I think the best tier 8 medium and arguably the best medium period when you take MM and typical opponents into the mix.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Weekend special
June 29, 2012 - 04:00 PDT on July 2, 2012 (11:00 UTC) the following discounts and bonuses will be active.

Discount on premium shells up to: 58% off
50% off the gold cost of the following tanks:
T-15
Valentine

50% off the credit cost of the following tanks:
M4 Sherman
M4A3E8
M4A3E2
BDR G1B
ARL 44
AMX M4 (1945)

Increased Credit income 2x:
M4 Sherman
M4A3E8
M4A3E2
BDR G1B
ARL 44
AMX M4 (1945)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Weekend special
June 29, 2012 - 04:00 PDT on July 2, 2012 (11:00 UTC) the following discounts and bonuses will be active.

Discount on premium shells up to: 58% off
50% off the gold cost of the following tanks:
T-15
Valentine

50% off the credit cost of the following tanks:
M4 Sherman
M4A3E8
M4A3E2
BDR G1B
ARL 44
AMX M4 (1945)

Increased Credit income 2x:
M4 Sherman
M4A3E8
M4A3E2
BDR G1B
ARL 44
AMX M4 (1945)

Yep, I posted it back on last page. This deal is why I went back to the ARL44 and worked on getting it finished off. Thinking today I'll get the M4 1945 and work on it. The tanks are crappy but the extra creds makes it somewhat tolerable. You die a whole heck of a lot but at least you make money unlike before without the extra creds.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I miss my M18 so much. The t-25/2 is just..... blarg. Slow, no armor, no gun depression, same gun as before. This is a downgrade in every way shape and form except for the little bit of extra HP. It's slooooow.

Does the gun depression get a bit better with the better turret?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I miss my M18 so much. The t-25/2 is just..... blarg. Slow, no armor, no gun depression, same gun as before. This is a downgrade in every way shape and form except for the little bit of extra HP. It's slooooow.

I'd say about the same. The trick is to get yourself where the ground slopes a bit and puts your back end a bit higher. If you cannot find such a position on each map then just fight on flat ground. Preferably one where you can get hull down. Sadly the T25/2 is the worse TD in that line IMHO. The good news is that in the T28 Proto is a better tank although even slower than the T25/2 and requires a different play style. One where you don't go too far from base initially at the start due to its slow speed. If you prefer a fast TD then stick with the M18. I kept mine. I still play it. I consider The Slugger and the M18 the best of the small fast American TDs.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
MUAHAHAHA actual comment from the enemy: Man that gun is good.
I was playing the E100...

Hit 9 for 10, penned every one. But I was smacking things like ISU 152's, IS8's, T43's, etc.

Ah such a great troll tank.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'd say about the same. The trick is to get yourself where the ground slopes a bit and puts your back end a bit higher. If you cannot find such a position on each map then just fight on flat ground. Preferably one where you can get hull down. Sadly the T25/2 is the worse TD in that line IMHO. The good news is that in the T28 Proto is a better tank although even slower than the T25/2 and requires a different play style. One where you don't go too far from base initially at the start due to its slow speed. If you prefer a fast TD then stick with the M18. I kept mine. I still play it. I consider The Slugger and the M18 the best of the small fast American TDs.

I'm familiar with the "big slow TD" doctrine, so I'm fine with the potential playstyle of the t28 Proto... but my gripe with the t-25/2 is it can't hull down in some of the places I used for the M18 because the depression is just not there. Heck, I think my T-20 can hull down better. That and it's slower by a huge margin, like 20-30 km/h. Just found out it's slower than a SU-152 yesterday!! Granted I don't have the engine yet, but I hesitate to plop down free exp for something I really dislike.

That being said, I can still hurt things when I want to. I just don't expect to be able to flank them like I used to be able to, so I can't really swing a fight in my favor... it's always dictated on the other guy's terms, aka front armor towards me.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm familiar with the "big slow TD" doctrine, so I'm fine with the potential playstyle of the t28 Proto... but my gripe with the t-25/2 is it can't hull down in some of the places I used for the M18 because the depression is just not there. Heck, I think my T-20 can hull down better. That and it's slower by a huge margin, like 20-30 km/h. Just found out it's slower than a SU-152 yesterday!! Granted I don't have the engine yet, but I hesitate to plop down free exp for something I really dislike.

That being said, I can still hurt things when I want to. I just don't expect to be able to flank them like I used to be able to, so I can't really swing a fight in my favor... it's always dictated on the other guy's terms, aka front armor towards me.

I know. I agree with you. Often you rely on your team to carry you to victory too in the T25/2. I just don't have anything good to say about it. I sold it the moment I researched the T-28 Proto. I hated it that much.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I really wish wargaming would give increased rewards for company battles. Not enough people play company battles due to the time it takes to organize a company, and then the queue time takes forever. The fact that MM needs 4 companies of the same type in the queue before it'll match, is also equally dumb. It should go automatically once 2 companies are queued.

Wargaming could easily make company battle more appealing through any of the following:
1. bonus xp (2x per battle would be nice for the winner)
2. bonus credits (again 2x credits for the winner would again be a plus)
3. extra free xp % (instead of 5% free xp gain, make it 20-40% for company battles)
3. gold (the most unlikely, but even a pittance of 10 gold a win would give people more incentive to do company battles)

The bonus xp/credits could easily be justified by the longer average game times and the longer queue times. I could easily play 2+ games in the time it takes to queue and play a single company battle.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

haha this is where i stopped my grind for the T30, i HATE this tank
the gun sucks, it's slow as hell, you basically can't do anything especially if you're
the top tank since people expect you to. :\
i don't even play it for daily doubles now ugh.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I know. I agree with you. Often you rely on your team to carry you to victory too in the T25/2. I just don't have anything good to say about it. I sold it the moment I researched the T-28 Proto. I hated it that much.

for sure. Did the engine research help much? I just got tracks and the driving is slightly more bearable with more terrain passability, but my next goal is the turret and then the "good" gun.

I loathe to spend free-exp on this thing because I know it's something I want to skip completely. I want to spend free-exp on useful things like the good gun on the T-28 or the pershing's cannon, stuff like that.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I really wish wargaming would give increased rewards for company battles. Not enough people play company battles due to the time it takes to organize a company, and then the queue time takes forever. The fact that MM needs 4 companies of the same type in the queue before it'll match, is also equally dumb. It should go automatically once 2 companies are queued.

Wargaming could easily make company battle more appealing through any of the following:
1. bonus xp (2x per battle would be nice for the winner)
2. bonus credits (again 2x credits for the winner would again be a plus)
3. extra free xp % (instead of 5% free xp gain, make it 20-40% for company battles)
3. gold (the most unlikely, but even a pittance of 10 gold a win would give people more incentive to do company battles)

The bonus xp/credits could easily be justified by the longer average game times and the longer queue times. I could easily play 2+ games in the time it takes to queue and play a single company battle.

I like all of these ideas except the free gold. I think that should be reserved for clanwars. But I like the idea of making company battles more enticing. Because you are right, the reward just isnt there for the time invested. I cant get into them because it takes 30 mins to get it organized and running. I can crap out 3-4 or sometimes 5 public battles in that time.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I like all of these ideas except the free gold. I think that should be reserved for clanwars. But I like the idea of making company battles more enticing. Because you are right, the reward just isnt there for the time invested. I cant get into them because it takes 30 mins to get it organized and running. I can crap out 3-4 or sometimes 5 public battles in that time.

I flat out refuse to do company battles. Even when there are multiple teams in the queue, we sit for 5 minutes before finally joining. Every time I have done a company battle it is treated like a clan war, with the stress and worry about performance.

NO NO NO NO NO.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I flat out refuse to do company battles. Even when there are multiple teams in the queue, we sit for 5 minutes before finally joining. Every time I have done a company battle it is treated like a clan war, with the stress and worry about performance.

NO NO NO NO NO.

Half the problem is the queue time, which is why I think there should be more incentive for company battles. That would help lower your queue times. As for the stress, well I'm sorry you feel that stressed playing company battles with your clan. Sure winning a company battle grants you some credability against another clan, but we all know the battles that count happen during clan wars.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
for sure. Did the engine research help much? I just got tracks and the driving is slightly more bearable with more terrain passability, but my next goal is the turret and then the "good" gun.

I loathe to spend free-exp on this thing because I know it's something I want to skip completely. I want to spend free-exp on useful things like the good gun on the T-28 or the pershing's cannon, stuff like that.

The best engine gives better hill climbing speed but thats about it really. The damn tank just takes too long to get up to full speed. You are usually spotted and killed before you get to full speed which is not that fast. The grind does allow you to train your crew more. That is the only plus I can see.