[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 209 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
holy crap you're at 130k already? i'm close to 200k, but i only use it for daily doubles
maybe i should start grinding it so you don't get it first :)

i've been busy grinding my amx13 90, and amx50 100, both fun to play as the autoloader is brutal if you hang back and pick your targets, i see way to many try to scout/charge with it and get owned in 2 seconds due to shitty armor.

Yeah, I've been grinding the arty with my brother and some clan mates for most of the weekend. Unfortunately arty games last much longer than most, since you are usually the last to die unless a scout gets you, or you get CBed (should always move between shots, so this should be a rarity). So the number of games you get to play is alot less than playing normal tanks. At my current rate, I figure I'll be in my 261 in 2-3 more weeks. I have over 30k free xp that I could use to shorten the grind if I wanted, but I think I'm saving that for a rainy day.

At least I never have to worry about running out of ammo on the 212 compared to the S-51. I got 30 shots with a 30 second reload, so I would have to fire continously as soon as loaded, which isn't ever going to happen. I like playing arty, as its the only think in the game where you can see 4 digits of damage. I love hitting tier 10s for 1000+hp, and one shotting french tanks.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Been trying to find the official word on it, but even the wotwiki doesn't say it outright. Anyway, from what I gathered open-topped vehicles already get to their top stats without the need for vents.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I had a glorious night of trolling with my amx 50 100 on Saturday. I could do no wrong. I was platooned with 2 IS3s and they were in awe when I kept getting 2k exp games. I really play it like a derpy KV. Shooting, hiding/relocating, shooting.

On the other hand, I fully understand how annoying it is to play against a good autoloader player. The ability to kill an equal tier while only eating 1 to 2 rounds from them is just a bit much.

I had a riot of a time on Ruinburg when I kept changing different roads to hide on and wait for my next victim. On campinova defending the north at the church, then retreating into the forest... and again retreating. I got 4 kills before anything actually shot back at me.

The Frenchies excel at the fighting retreat.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Been trying to find the official word on it, but even the wotwiki doesn't say it outright. Anyway, from what I gathered open-topped vehicles already get to their top stats without the need for vents.

They do. Anything open-topped vehicles where you can't install vents on already has the bonus.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I'm downloading the test client right now just to try out some tanks. figured its a great option to try some tanks I'm interested in while it is there, regardless of any new tanks/changes :p

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
They do. Anything open-topped vehicles where you can't install vents on already has the bonus.

If any of ya'll have been on the test server, they have actually redone all the tank stats to reflect 100% crew and NOT max capable stats (for reload, aim time, accuracy). So Keep in mind that with BiA, vents and a rammer (121% crew + rammer bonus) your actual reload will be much faster than what is listed in 7.2. It would be really nice if they gave you the guns base stats and then listed in green (or red) your actual stats after the effects of crew, skills and modules where taken into account.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm torn between going up the US med line, (about half way to the Pershing) or grinding the AMX 13-90 to get to the mediums. Both seem fun. Which are more versatile?

Depends on how bad they nerf the French six shooters this next patch. I have a Pershing and I enjoy it. It is a good tank. Good gun. Good speed. Obviously it holds up to damage better than the Frenchies but not as zippy.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
About 70K away from the IS4. Going to research the IS4, then buy an E75 and right before the Russian patch comes out buy the IS4 in prep for it going Tier 10.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
About 70K away from the IS4. Going to research the IS4, then buy an E75 and right before the Russian patch comes out buy the IS4 in prep for it going Tier 10.

Might as well get the IS4 instead and play that to get crew skills up. The IS4 is also less shitty stock compared to the E75 if you dont have 110k free xp laying around to unlock the tracks/turret/gun. With the exception of the drivers hatch vulnerability the IS4 is just as good if not better than the E75. The gun has more pen and slighly faster reload than an E75. Not to mention it easily pens the lower (and sometimes upper) glacias of the E75, while the E75 will have to hit your hatch to pen you reliably. Plus the better side armor protects you from those fast french bastards.

If they give the IS4 slightly better speed/armor/reload along with tier 10 hp, it will be a beast. To bad that patch is probably 3-6 months out.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I am going with the assumption the IS4 will be like every other T10 tank. In that it will be fully upgraded when purchased. So if I spend my time grinding out the E75 I can get the E100 and end with two T10 tanks for the price of one T10 and one T9. I think the IS4 is probably better than the E75 in most situations. But if I can save myself that experience + credits it can go elsewhere. Like working on getting my Patton :)

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I am going with the assumption the IS4 will be like every other T10 tank. In that it will be fully upgraded when purchased. So if I spend my time grinding out the E75 I can get the E100 and end with two T10 tanks for the price of one T10 and one T9. I think the IS4 is probably better than the E75 in most situations. But if I can save myself that experience + credits it can go elsewhere. Like working on getting my Patton :)

If you are going to grind out a tier 9 for the 10, why not grind the IS4 so you can actually get two 10's for one grinded 9. And I find the E100 to be next to useless. Either you are running with the Maus gun and have crappier armor than the Maus, or you are running the big gun with HORRIBLE pen unless you are slinging gold.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
If you are going to grind out a tier 9 for the 10, why not grind the IS4 so you can actually get two 10's for one grinded 9. And I find the E100 to be next to useless. Either you are running with the Maus gun and have crappier armor than the Maus, or you are running the big gun with HORRIBLE pen unless you are slinging gold.

That is a good point. I didnt think of it like that lol. Guess I was thinking about having two T10s from two countries. And I am not 100% positive I could grind out the IS4 before the patch anyways. That is a crap ton of experience to get before it rolls out. Need about what, 350-400 games?

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yes the E100 is horrible, grind the is-4 to get the 7 so that you have both tier 10 russians. until they fix the e100, i would stay at the e75

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You guys convinced me. Going for IS7 now he he. Hope I can grind it out before the patch hits.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
That is a good point. I didnt think of it like that lol. Guess I was thinking about having two T10s from two countries. And I am not 100% positive I could grind out the IS4 before the patch anyways. That is a crap ton of experience to get before it rolls out. Need about what, 350-400 games?

You most likely have 3-6 months to accomplish this before 7.3 hits. You should easily be able to make it. This assumes you have premium, even without it, its still easily doable. Once you get the 130mm xp rolls in pretty easily.

Also like I said earlier, unless you have 110k free xp to drop on the E75, I would stick with the IS4. While the xp required to unlock everything is the same, you aren't as gimp stock as the E75. The stock E75 grind had to be by far the worst experience for me (with the exception of the T34, which I decidedly gave up on, since that tank is a huge POS).

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Is there a list anywhere cataloging the module price changes that will be happening? I'd like to know if there are any modules I should be stocking up on before the patch hits and those I should hold off purchasing until after the patch hits. Maximizing my buying power, if you will.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Stock E-75 is pretty painful to drive. The 10.5 doesn't cut it at tier 9 and the stock turret.... is lacking to say the least. The mobility is completely gimped as well.

But the frontal glacis is still beefy. Too bad with the stock turret they'll just shoot you there and kill everything inside, ammo, commander, gun, etc.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
WOT players with old/low end/mid range ATI cards:

Do you get inconsistent frame rates? I get an avg of ~50 fps on Ruinberg and Himmelsdorf but average 30 fps on Malinovka and Karelia.

On Malinovka, with maxed out settings at 1920x1080 I get low, even sub 20 fps when zooming in the foliage.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I have a mid range HD, 57xx, my fps is usually at 40-70 except for certain places - on Erlenberg it dips down to ~30 etc. The game engine isn't that good IMO, for the graphics it produces...

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, the game engine is pretty terrible and it seems to bring even high end systems to their knees. You can disable the scope shadow which helps, and you can turn off things like smoke and trees swaying. Check out the WOT tweaker app.

Fire&Blood

Platinum Member
Jan 13, 2009
Thanks for the tip. I have a new comp with 8GB RAM, i5 2400 and a 5770. I know WOT uses a 3rd party engine, named blue sea or blue world or something like that. IMO, graphics are on par with HL2 but appear to be more demanding (haven't tried HL2 on this comp)

Mar 10, 2005
i'm on a run of the absolute worst random teams i've ever seen. smoked several games in a row, win, smoked several more. i am usually the only player with a green % and these guys are totally croaking me. another night like this shit and i'll quit again.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
So many tanks, so little time and credits. I'm half way to the Pershing. I'm a quarter of the way to a Lorraine (will stay that way til I have enough $$ to buy the amx 13 90 again). I want to buy a 3601 (unlocked it, never bought) to grind to the panthers.

Meh. My lowe is my most played tank...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
i'm on a run of the absolute worst random teams i've ever seen. smoked several games in a row, win, smoked several more. i am usually the only player with a green % and these guys are totally croaking me. another night like this shit and i'll quit again.

You have to platoon up. Its the only way to help swing things back in your favor. Of course it helps to have good communication with your platoon and not pick idiots to platoon with. Anyway I know what you are talking about. I was just about to jump to a 54% win rate last week, and after having some crappy days I'm back to around .5% away. The best ones are when you get top gun but still lose.