[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 206 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I think the high tier income nerf and general low income vs repair/reload is bad game design. We're playing World of Tanks, not World of Financing.

But I'm used to other games such as Battletech where every mech is useful and there are no tiers, hmph.

In other news, I've finished to horrible grind to the 107mm with my KV, the 122mm HE is just useless.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I think the high tier income nerf and general low income vs repair/reload is bad game design. We're playing World of Tanks, not World of Financing.

But I'm used to other games such as Battletech where every mech is useful and there are no tiers, hmph.

In other news, I've finished to horrible grind to the 107mm with my KV, the 122mm HE is just useless.

The game is designed so that high tier tanks aren't very profitable. They designed it so that the tier 5/6 tanks are the sweet spot for profitability so that you constantly get a good tier range of tanks played. WG is also out to make money (gasp! heaven forbid!), so if you want to keep your tanks profitable through all the tiers then you need a premium account. Can you still lose money on a higher tier tank with a premium account? Sure, but you have to play like shit or get unlucky to do it. Even with a premium account though, tier 10 tanks dont make very good profit and I'm sure they almost always lose money on non-premium accounts.

If you dont want to play tier 5 tanks to make money, then they have tier 8 premium tanks as an alternative. If it wasn't for the profitability of different tank tiers, then everyone would be rolling in tier 10s, which wouldn't be all that much fun (except for the arty).

By the way, my E-75 and IS-4 are my most profitable tanks to play for most matches (unless I do horrible). Then I would have to say the IS-3 and then KV. I of course have a premium account though. If it wasn't for that, then the KV would probably reign supreme.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
I know...I have a premium account plus a Lowe/KV-5 for times when I just need 1 mill credits NOW.

I still don't like it ;)

EDIT - I think, aside from the premiums, my highest consistant earner so far was my T29. Think it is actually cheaper to fix than my T20, hah.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Even with my e-75 and is-4, I think the KV is still the most profitable. It can easily rake in 15-20k on a good game, whereas the E-75 and Is-4 usually gets me 10k on a good game (shells are expensive!)

I haven't looked at the chart but does the top tier tanks get a slight boost in income? I know the scouts are getting a slight boost along with lower tiers...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I understand the game design. They need to incenticize people playing lower tiers or the matches would all be Tier 10 snipefests. I have no problem with it. The alternative if you dont want to play lower tier is buy a tier 8 premium tank. Which I did. But I still love me some derp KV. It is the most profitable of my tanks that isnt my Type 59.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
the way to give people incentives for playing lower tiers is to make them not have to fight fucking tier 8s and 9s or hordes of type 59s with a 100 pen gun.

ginfest

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2000
the way to give people incentives for playing lower tiers is to make them not have to fight fucking tier 8s and 9s or hordes of type 59s with a 100 pen gun.

Exactly. The matchmaking is the main cause of frustration when you are playing the lower tiers.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Exactly. The matchmaking is the main cause of frustration when you are playing the lower tiers.

Somebody has to be fodder for my higher tier tanks. The plus side of being lower tier (which is commonly overlooked) is that you are rarely the target of arty. To be honest, unless you're running around stock (and even in some of those cases), you are capable of doing something useful on battlefield. God forbid you are forced to flank an enemy or use strategy, or use something besides auto-aim to shoot weakspots. Hell just hiding and keeping the enemies lit for arty is very useful (and you get credits for it).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
from my experience arty likes to pop whatever the hell's lit up. Doesn't matter if you're a m6 or a is-4. You light up? You get shot.

Flanking is a good idea if its viable. If you're pinned between 2 heavies and a sheet of camping teammates your popgun won't annoy many things. Granted many low tier tanks have the ability to be deadly in higher tier matches (KV comes to mind), with the lack of HP and low mobility that most low tier tanks have... they usually get popped if they're not at the back of the line. And if you're at the back of the line it's hard to flank. Good luck scouting in a T-34/m4 sherman, or heavens forbid a T1.

I know I personally pop little tanks first because it removes a gun from the battlefield. Many others do the same.

Not to mention it's a lot more fun when the tiers are closer together. A-20 can scout, sure. But when it's top tier, it's ALWAYS more fun. Even mid tier. And if a Lee/PIV is top tier? Always a fun game.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So I've been playing the T-28 (T4), and I've been matched up against T7+

My favorite strategy so far is to join the game, leave for 5 minutes, and come back and see how the battle field is. Then run and join the largest pack of my teammates and flank whatever I can. I basically just run around and distract/annoy while the bigger guys do all the work. I like to play in buildings and run behind tanks, shoot em once or twice, then run away. And repeat until I get one shotted by anything.

I'm loving the T-28 using this strategy, and I think I prefer light/medium tanks.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The tier 5 light economic changes don't make a lot of sense. I have the chaffe and on average, its a money loser. They are making it even worse of a money suck, but they are bumping the profitability of the T50-2, the VK2801, and both french AMX 13-75/90 lights. I don't understand why the chaffee should lose money when the 13-75 and 13-90 are profitable.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I recognized that but didn't bother complaining. Instead I just made about 1 mil off my 13-75 grind. :)

The 13-75 replaces the chafee nicely, but doens't fill the same niche that the t-50-2 does as a scout. Dunno what's good about the vk2801 though.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
why do people not know where to shoot the T95? god
i was in my maus along with an IS, T30, IS-3
and the T95 took 0 damage except from me penning the hatches...

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
LOL i platooned up w/some clan mates running tier1/2. We had like pzII, pz35, tetrarch, micro-maus, T1 cunningham, MS-1, etc.

Something like 16 games, all wins. No matter the situation, we'd pull out the rape, getting top gun left & right. My micro-maus got sniper (w/50 rounds fired) and 9 kills in a tier 2 match XD awesome. The three of us almost always picked up ~10/15 kills.

So refreshing after playing high tiers.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
LOL i platooned up w/some clan mates running tier1/2. We had like pzII, pz35, tetrarch, micro-maus, T1 cunningham, MS-1, etc.

Something like 16 games, all wins. No matter the situation, we'd pull out the rape, getting top gun left & right. My micro-maus got sniper (w/50 rounds fired) and 9 kills in a tier 2 match XD awesome. The three of us almost always picked up ~10/15 kills.

So refreshing after playing high tiers.

A 3 person platoon at tier 2 is almost impossible to kill. Especially if you all have a good crew. Tier 3 is the highest tier you'll see, and that happens pretty rarely. Not to mention the majority of people are running these tanks with 50-55% crew. Even solo I've pulled off a few 8 kill games. Its a good break from playing the higher tiers. I also finally got my master tanker medal yesterday playing my BT-2. I guess I was missing some tier 1.

from my experience arty likes to pop whatever the hell's lit up. Doesn't matter if you're a m6 or a is-4. You light up? You get shot.

Top tiers and other arty are always priority targets for artillery. Sure, you'll get shot at if you are the only thing lit up that is shootable, but any arty would rather shoot at a tier 9/10 than a KV. I always have to worry about arty in my tier 9/10 tanks, arty was never really that much of a worry prior to that.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
A 3 person platoon at tier 2 is almost impossible to kill. Especially if you all have a good crew. Tier 3 is the highest tier you'll see, and that happens pretty rarely. Not to mention the majority of people are running these tanks with 50-55% crew. Even solo I've pulled off a few 8 kill games. Its a good break from playing the higher tiers. I also finally got my master tanker medal yesterday playing my BT-2. I guess I was missing some tier 1.

There are exceptions. An unlucky derp from a T82 ends a good run. Arty actually hitting a tank is devastating.

On a related note, I just got my 10th kamikaze... it was in an MS1!!!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I keep some gold ammo just for those in my tetrarch. Nothing makes them cry when I never bounce on them. Meh, if they run a premium tank I may hit them with premium ammo.

why do you need gold ammo to kill a mini maus in the tetrach? Last I checked their gun is more than sufficient to pen the 40mm armor that it has. (50ish pen I believe) I'm referring to the hotchkiss premium.

The hotchkiss is 40mm all around, so you should just angle it as much as you can. I don't think the turret is particularly stronger than the hull, it's just pretty beefy all around. T-46s, BT-7s and the like will pen you though, as will PIIs that get a good shot.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
There are exceptions. An unlucky derp from a T82 ends a good run. Arty actually hitting a tank is devastating.

On a related note, I just got my 10th kamikaze... it was in an MS1!!!

The T-82 can be a fun TD to play. It has the capability of one-shotting half the tanks on the opposing team usually. Hitting a moving target however is a real challenge. Got to lead it just right because its gun trajectory is not like other tanks. The shell arcs up before landing and has more a of a delay when hitting than other tank guns that have a more flat trajectory. When you hit a moving target with the T-82 it is a satisfying feeling because it is not easy. Especially if that moving enemy is a fast light or medium. They are incredibly hard to hit with a T-82.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
So who wants to platoon T1/T2? I got a few 100% crews with camo nets :D

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
why do you need gold ammo to kill a mini maus in the tetrach? Last I checked their gun is more than sufficient to pen the 40mm armor that it has. (50ish pen I believe) I'm referring to the hotchkiss premium.

I switch to gold rounds the second I bounce one. Pure laziness, but tier 1 and 2 is not about aiming, it is about PEW PEW PEWing!

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I was wondering WTF a minimaus was and then realized it was the free premium tank from armchair general. cool.