[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 205 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I just tried it. Too complicated for me, I'd enjoy some game like battlefield heroes, but without all the real money noobness.
I mean, with league of legends they managed to keep the money from destroying the game, why couldn't they do it with battlefield heros?

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Decisions, decisions...
I sold my AMX 13-90 yesterday evening. I realized that, with me not being a pro player, my T20 does the same job without 30-50 sec autoloader headaches. What I've heard about 7.2 told me its a dead end tree for now. I may go back to it in the future.

Now I'm contemplating what to get alongside the T20, which fills my "mobile gun platform" role.
I have the T29 fully researched except for the last engine - wonderful tank, sold because I wanted to try the medium line again and needed credits.
German tree, got the VK3601 researched, can use it to get a medium or a heavy (always wanted a panther II - those darn things seem to pack so much long range firepower).
Soviet tree, have T-34 (blech) and KV researched (for the future split), may go down the heavy line. I'm interested in the IS3/4, they're probably the hardest opponents I face in matches in my experience.

What would you do? I'm intending to proceed down the US med tree to get a pershing/patton anyway so looking for something different.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
What&#8217;s up with the critical hits for no damage? I&#8217;m getting very angry when I shoot a tank at <50hp and it crits him for 0 dmg and I end up dying because of it.

It means you either knocked out a crewmember...or did damage to a module...eg. like the gun.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Decisions, decisions...
I sold my AMX 13-90 yesterday evening. I realized that, with me not being a pro player, my T20 does the same job without 30-50 sec autoloader headaches. What I've heard about 7.2 told me its a dead end tree for now. I may go back to it in the future.

Now I'm contemplating what to get alongside the T20, which fills my "mobile gun platform" role.
I have the T29 fully researched except for the last engine - wonderful tank, sold because I wanted to try the medium line again and needed credits.
German tree, got the VK3601 researched, can use it to get a medium or a heavy (always wanted a panther II - those darn things seem to pack so much long range firepower).
Soviet tree, have T-34 (blech) and KV researched (for the future split), may go down the heavy line. I'm interested in the IS3/4, they're probably the hardest opponents I face in matches in my experience.

What would you do? I'm intending to proceed down the US med tree to get a pershing/patton anyway so looking for something different.

I would push down the Soviet heavy line. The KV is alot of fun, and is OP when placed near the top. It can also damage tier 8s with the 107 pretty reliably and the derp 152 can hurt anything (just a long reload). The IS-3 is a great tank, and I think is one of the best tier 8 heavies.

I'm not a fan of the american mediums. I'm just not afraid of those tanks. The T54 is at least good at getting around to the arty and the E50 actually has enough armor to bounce shots, the American mediums though, just seem to melt everytime I see one.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
TBH that is also how I feel. If I see a T-44\T-54 it is usually "oh shit". Another US med - "phew".

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I went back to my roots over the weekend and played some games in my BT-2. I put vents on it (only 50k) and I transferred a camo net and binocs to it. Decently OP by myself if its a map where I can take advantage of the camo net and binocs and just snipe. I also platooned with my brother for a bit with his tricked out BT-2, and its completely unfair (dont think we lost a game). My crew is only at 91%, but once I get 100% and some camo skill, its going to be too much fun.

I also got my tier 7 arty (object 212). I grinded out 40k xp so far, so only 270k more to go till tier 8. The tank is pretty damn slow and has a crappy turret radius (+-5 degrees it seems) and the same gun as the S-51. To make up for those short comings, the gun reloads much faster (~30sec vs ~37sec) and is slightly more accurate. Vents can also be installed on it compared to the S-51, so aiming speed and accuracy also see a slight improvement from that. I have over a 70% win ratio still with 50+ games, so it seems to be working out better than my S-51. Plus the 212 has around 200 more hitpoints than the S-51, which allows it to survive splash damage CB and also take a single tank hit (which allows time for a TD mode strike, which if hits, can save your ass to keep fighting).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn not bad 40k already, i'm at 170k so far and it's been a long time, however i don't play it often, i only use it to get daily doubles.

what's wrong with the french in 7.2? i'm at the amx13 90 right now
and the amx4 1945. should i grind to unlock then abandon the line and move
down something else ?
i think i may go down the german TD route next

Mar 10, 2005
i played straight through 2 of the 4 "who shot the leprechaun?" periods and didn't see a single sheriff, never mind scoring the kill. i kept asking and nobody else had either. what a joke - if you're going to run a little event to generate playtime, rewarding with only bit of your own funny money, at least make an effort to show up.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
damn not bad 40k already, i'm at 170k so far and it's been a long time, however i don't play it often, i only use it to get daily doubles.

what's wrong with the french in 7.2? i'm at the amx13 90 right now
and the amx4 1945. should i grind to unlock then abandon the line and move
down something else ?
i think i may go down the german TD route next

yeah, I played it a fair amount with clan members over the weekend. 2 people I regularly group with have a T92 and M40/43 (think thats right, the american T7). So we would have 3 arty platooned, which is a nightmare for opposing teams. 2 of us would CB at the start until we kill 1-2 of the opposing arty, then we concentrate fire, usually firing at the same time so the tank doesn't have a chance to move (since it will usually die when we all hit it). The platoon will usually account for 5-9 kills each game. We of course, do get unlucky sometimes, every once in a while a T-50-2 or batchat makes it to us. The T-50-2s are almost impossible to TD, but usually the other tanks (french light/mediums) will only take out one of us before they eat a HE round at close range.

edit: I do believe the tier 6+ french tanks are going to see some kind of nerf in 7.2. I forgot what exactly though. I think reduction in hp at the very least. I wouldn't be too set in the german TD line. The ferdi and jagtiger can be frontally penned from tier 8(ferdi)/9/10s compared to the American TDs. Although you have alot more speed/manuverability.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
i played straight through 2 of the 4 "who shot the leprechaun?" periods and didn't see a single sheriff, never mind scoring the kill. i kept asking and nobody else had either. what a joke - if you're going to run a little event to generate playtime, rewarding with only bit of your own funny money, at least make an effort to show up.

I saw him 3 times. Twice on my own team. They were in T-50-2s, so you probably weren't going to see them unless you were in tier 7+ matches. 250 gold isn't alot anyway. The rewards from the MVPs or other contests are much better and actually require some skill.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

Saw one in an E100. That was fun when I was in my T20... yeah I was going to get that kill!

Oh and I saw one in a T-54, while I was in my GW Tiger... on Ruinburg.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So, the IS3's BL-9 is proving to be more accurate than I expected. I have played about 55 games and have 33 sharpshooter medals and an 84% hit percentage. My Tiger II is only 78%. My T20 is just hilarious now that my crew is approaching 100%. Killed a Type 59 solo yesterday circling him to death and killed a Lowe + tiger II in redshire on the hill next to the spawn. Used my speed to straddle the hill and they got frustrated and ran for our base. I then shot the tiger II in the ass and killed him then rolled up on the lowe and dispatched him via the circle of death. The T20 now has a 3\1 kill to death ratio lmao. Better than my Marder II(2.7). And it has a 57% win % with the IS3 at 56%.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
nerf healthwise i'm fine with, you don't really engage as a french tanks anyways, you kinda sit back until someone is at 1/2 health or less, then vulture in for the kill, at least that's the only way i've been able to play it and succeed.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
For the first time in a VERY long time, I experienced... "that team" all weekend.

You know, that team that does not go on the 8 road in Abbey but leaves it to my AMX to defend.

You know, that team that does not go back to defend when there is still time but leaves it to my derpy KV.

You know, that team whose arty advances past the bottom hill in arctic region.

You know, that team whose top tier tk's another of its top tier.

You know, that team who blasts my arty skills when I end up with confederate (sorry I couldn't one shot everything!).

You know, that team where I still get top gun and we still manage to lose.

SOOOOO many losses.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lol figured out how to play the T-28 over the weekend

start game, alt tab out

wait until i see red stuff on my radar, alt tab back in, kill scouts

alt tab out, wait

see what's going on, where i can be used, run there, blow stuff up, run away

repeat until I get hit by something and die (which seems to be anything that hits me).

Of course, I can't get more than 2-3 kills doing this, but hey better than nothing.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
wow i can stop the french med grind now
the traverse went from 9 degrees to 6 LOL
and reload/aim time increased
health nerf to 1500.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmmm, maybe I should just sell this POS tier 4 B1 "heavy" french tank. This thing is embarrassing. How can anybody call this thing "heavy" when it has a 47mm gun that can't even pen a tier 4 medium? It doesn't even get an autoloader to counter how boring and terrible it is, just a very fast firing spit gun. I had a LOT more fun in the always hilarious AMX40!

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
For the first time in a VERY long time, I experienced... "that team" all weekend.

You know, that team that does not go on the 8 road in Abbey but leaves it to my AMX to defend.

You know, that team that does not go back to defend when there is still time but leaves it to my derpy KV.

You know, that team who blasts my arty skills when I end up with confederate (sorry I couldn't one shot everything!).

SOOOOO many losses.

I've definately had days like this. Its one reason I try to platoon up as often as possible now. At least at that point I know I have at least 1-2 non-retarded teammates.

I rage quit for the night on friday, when I took out my IS-7. First tank I met was a Patton, rolled around a building to assault him. Before I even get him in view, he tracks me. Within 3 seconds got hit by both thier arty. Dead. Less than 90 seconds into the game, didn't even get a shot off. High tier arty definately takes the fun out of playing tier 10 tanks.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Hmmm, maybe I should just sell this POS tier 4 B1 "heavy" french tank. This thing is embarrassing. How can anybody call this thing "heavy" when it has a 47mm gun that can't even pen a tier 4 medium? It doesn't even get an autoloader to counter how boring and terrible it is, just a very fast firing spit gun. I had a LOT more fun in the always hilarious AMX40!

Unfortunately the French heavy line utterly sucks and continues to suck until you get to the AMX50-100 tank which is Tier 8. Once you get that tank then it gets to be fun. That is why you see more people going the French medium line more than the heavy line. You get the six-shooters sooner and they are zippy fast to boot.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've definately had days like this. Its one reason I try to platoon up as often as possible now. At least at that point I know I have at least 1-2 non-retarded teammates.
I do this too, but in the opposite. I team up with a local friend of mine who is just a terrible player. He's got a 30% win ratio on his Patton! His overall win rate is a whopping 44% (20% survival) with 2,400 games played.

My win rate instantly declines when we platoon. He's just soooooo bad. :(

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

Try fighting another B1. You'll both run out of bullets before you can do any damage.

My win rate instantly declines when we platoon. He's just soooooo bad.

Also if he's so local you should be able to teach him a few tricks right? My friend had around 48%~ win rate but we've been able to pull it up past 51%. He was a very passive player. Never scouts, never takes any risks, just camps and runs away at the first sight of danger. Freaks out when tanks start shooting him.

Luckily I've been able to beat some common sense into him and he's now a fairly decent player. Still freaks out when more than 1 tank shoots him though.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Try fighting another B1. You'll both run out of bullets before you can do any damage.

Also if he's so local you should be able to teach him a few tricks right? My friend had around 48%~ win rate but we've been able to pull it up past 51%. He was a very passive player. Never scouts, never takes any risks, just camps and runs away at the first sight of danger. Freaks out when tanks start shooting him.

Luckily I've been able to beat some common sense into him and he's now a fairly decent player. Still freaks out when more than 1 tank shoots him though.

Agreed on the B1. At least it can take a few hits before I die and move on to the next fight.

My friend is...uhh...special. He's the drunk (it's something else, but lets call it "drunk") cowboy that charges in like a moron. He does stupid crap like moving out of cover and exposing himself to 4-5 tanks, just so he can hit one tank (once before he dies). He's also very blind and he has the worst adult ADHD you could imagine. There's little hope for him, so I just get drunk too and laugh at him. It's still fun though.

Mar 10, 2005

SOOOOO many losses.

i've been on that team for a week D: D: D:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I admit that when I don't have very much time I load up my T1 and suiscout for the lulz =X

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I was looking at the economy chart changes that they have for 7.2. It looks the lower tiers are going to become alot more profitable. I might be able to net 10k+ on my BT-2 afterwards. Although that wont really matter since I'll have a premium T34 to work with. I'll probably play that tank for a week straight once I get it, since I need 6.1M for my E100 and another ~2.5M (not sure exactly) for my panther 2 that I would like to buy.

I could really go for another 50% off sale for add-ons. I could use a few extra rammers, spall liners, vents, VS, camo nets and binocs to go on most of my tanks.