[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 203 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Caecus Veritas

Mar 20, 2006
whew, I have time.

Thanks. I haven't touched the US tree so I guess I won't.

Not only should you grind for the KV, you should to go up the IS-4. IS-4 will be moved up to tier 10 and you will receive free T9 tank. KV-3 will be moved to T7 and you will receive replacement T6 tank. KV will stay at T5 and you will receive another T5 tank. I believe this to be the case.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Not only should you grind for the KV, you should to go up the IS-4. IS-4 will be moved up to tier 10 and you will receive free T9 tank. KV-3 will be moved to T7 and you will receive replacement T6 tank. KV will stay at T5 and you will receive another T5 tank. I believe this to be the case.

goddamn that's going to be a lot of grinding.

Guess I should get off the Marder for a while...

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
ya that too, replaced by the t110 or whatever. But that's way up there if you don't even have a KV yet, tier 8-9 is about 140k exp alone.

I don't even have a T4 yet :biggrin:

I'm rolling around in 100% Marder/T1 Cunningham/MS-1 with camo nets LOL

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Typically each test period lasts about a week. So if they just started Test period #2 then you have about a week before they either go test period #3 or go live. They do not always have a test period #3. That is something they have had to do lately though. So basically in one to two weeks the patch goes live. If they follow the more recent trends in how they test. This is always subject to change though. Small patches sail through faster than patches that add lots of stuff or huge game changes. I'll place my money on seeing it live in two more weeks.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
that's good, gives me some time to finish up mass effect 3 and get bored of its multiplayer. :)

Been neglecting my daily doubles lately but no regrets.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Damn, I'm sure I can grind those 70k xp and 2 mil credits in a week or two on the T34, but i really hate playing the same tank over and over and over.

But...it seems stupid to let the free T10 slip through if I can avoid it. I can immediately sell that sucker for ~3 million credits, right? Even if it sucks. Somebody talk me outa this!

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Damn, I'm sure I can grind those 70k xp and 2 mil credits in a week or two on the T34, but i really hate playing the same tank over and over and over.

But...it seems stupid to let the free T10 slip through if I can avoid it. I can immediately sell that sucker for ~3 million credits, right? Even if it sucks. Somebody talk me outa this!

Grind it. The T110E5 and the T30 are shaping up to be amazing tanks.

eLiu

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2001
I took me *forever* to realize how awesome the KV is. I kept the thing in my garage b/c it makes money (i didnt run prem for a while) but I felt pretty meh about it. It was my first heavy tank.

I'd say it wasn't until I was most of the way through us/russia/germany's tier7 heavies that I finally started to appreciate the KV and playing it better than a noob. That was probably a ridiculous like 200+ games in the KV before I started doing well in it.

I run the 107 exclusively and haven't even tried the 152. Nowadays if I'm top tank, it's just a rape-fest. This thing is incredibly broken in its own tier. Hardly anything can pen you and that 107 smashes the crap out of everything. In higher tiers, I just hang back and flank distracted opponents. The 107 will nail just about anything from the side/rear and a few things from the front. Sometimes I get singled out and one-shotted, but if I get off like 3 shots on tier8/9 opponents, bam--1000xp, 20-30k profit. Ez.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I took me *forever* to realize how awesome the KV is. I kept the thing in my garage b/c it makes money (i didnt run prem for a while) but I felt pretty meh about it. It was my first heavy tank.

I'd say it wasn't until I was most of the way through us/russia/germany's tier7 heavies that I finally started to appreciate the KV and playing it better than a noob. That was probably a ridiculous like 200+ games in the KV before I started doing well in it.

I run the 107 exclusively and haven't even tried the 152. Nowadays if I'm top tank, it's just a rape-fest. This thing is incredibly broken in its own tier. Hardly anything can pen you and that 107 smashes the crap out of everything. In higher tiers, I just hang back and flank distracted opponents. The 107 will nail just about anything from the side/rear and a few things from the front. Sometimes I get singled out and one-shotted, but if I get off like 3 shots on tier8/9 opponents, bam--1000xp, 20-30k profit. Ez.

Yeah I ding off the KV all the time. It's the only thing I'm really scared of in my Marder =X

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You are very bad at talking people out of things! :D

I have about the same experience with it. I ran it to get the KV3 then the IS, but I kept it since it would eventually split. I played it at random times just for kicks, and slowly realized how awesome it is. The (107...I'm not a derp guy) gun is just ridiculous for a tier 5 and the armor is good enough. In a tier 9 battle, you're dead meat but your gun is good enough to take some points off the enemy before you get smoked. In a tier 5 battle...you're the king. The KV3 is very similar - OP for its level.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005

Which means they will nerf them. I remember when people were calling the E-50, E75, and E100 amazing in test 1 and test 2 and then on test period 3 they nerfed them down. On top of that they released with mud flap bugs and such which had to be fixed in a later patch making us suffer through until that patch went live. No thank you. I'm never again going to grind a tank line just to get free tanks or slots. I learned my lesson the first time. LOL

Just speaking for myself here.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Which means they will nerf them. I remember when people were calling the E-50, E75, and E100 amazing in test 1 and test 2 and then on test period 3 they nerfed them down. On top of that they released with mud flap bugs and such which had to be fixed in a later patch making us suffer through until that patch went live. No thank you. I'm never again going to grind a tank line just to get free tanks or slots. I learned my lesson the first time. LOL

Just speaking for myself here.

Well I'm holding onto my KV-3 and KV just for the free tank slots. Though I like my KV and would never sell that monster!

Reading the forums though there's a lot of complaints about the American tanks and the 110E5 due to the crappy way WOT models American armor. I love the T29 and people complain about that too, so who knows. I find that tank the best tier 7 when you know wtf you're doing.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Victory!
Battle: Westfield Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:04:10 PM
Vehicle: T20
Experience received: 3,080 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 45,412
Battle Achievements: Top Gun, Boelter's Medal, Master Gunner, Sniper

8 kills for my daily double.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Well I'm holding onto my KV-3 and KV just for the free tank slots. Though I like my KV and would never sell that monster!

Reading the forums though there's a lot of complaints about the American tanks and the 110E5 due to the crappy way WOT models American armor. I love the T29 and people complain about that too, so who knows. I find that tank the best tier 7 when you know wtf you're doing.

I don't blame you for hanging onto them. I would too. I'm not saying people shouldn't grind for them if they want to. Just saying, in a joking manner, that I am not going to do that again.

I like the T29 as well. I don't play it much though since I elited it. My interest turned to the Slugger and the 4502 P Ausf A. I like the Slugger so much I'm looking forward to the new American TDs coming this next patch. Hoping to see a TD like the Slugger with a bigger badder gun and maybe more armor. :)

Edit:
List of changes between mass test #1 and test #2 of the 7.2 update:

Parameters of American TDs rebalanced after the first test.
Parameters of American tanks Т34, Т30, М103 and T110E5 rebalanced after the first test.
Added turning around for M18 Hellcat and T25/2.
Removed "Improved Ventilation" equipment from American TD Т25/2.
Fixed errors in armor of M103 (front armor) and T110E5 (front armor and gun mask).
Fixed depiction of Lowe's tank name.
Fixed typo in the system notification about the camouflage expiration.
Reduced durability of suspension medium part in AMX 13 90, AMX M4 1945, and BDR G1B.
Fixed division titles in tank company menu filter.
Fixed game client hang up when all tanks are sold.
Added a hint to a crew member's Personal File: how many skills are available for research, and experience remains in percents.
Fixed destroyed model of TD T28 Prototype.
Removed "Improved Ventilation" equipment from TD FCM 36Pak40.
Fixed gradient disappearance of shooting at snow effect.
Fixed disappearance of multiple effects at distance over 100 meters.
Fixed display of a hint technical line shown in the tank carousel.
Fixed model of damaged suspension of VK4502A.
Fixed high exposure of wind on tank exhaust effect.
Fixed the opportunity to select notation text in dialogue windows.
Premium SPG LeFH 18 B2 moved from tier 2 to tier 4.
Fixed description of "Last Ditch Attempt" perk.
Fixed errors in damaged model of TD Т95.
Fixed several errors in crew training.
Fixed suspension model of Pz V Panther.
Fixed animation of "plus" icons in crew slots shown in garage.
Fixed occasional discrepancy in "Attention in square!" marker size with the square size on minimap.
Removed rendering of penetration markers at damage with HE shells.
Fixed rare game client failure occuring due to archiving implemented with 7.1.1 update.
Fixed wrong display of several tank module parameters in interface.
V-2K engine cost reduced to 23,050 credits.
Fixed absense of nickname highlighting in team list when the vehicle is destroyed.
Fixed issues with indestructible objects on several maps.
Fixed displacement of central reticle cross in "Crosses II" mode.
Fixed discrepancy in text input field size in general chat window.
Fixed cutting of "D" letter in garage tab titles.
Fixed junction of message text with side scrolling in platoon window.
Fixed availability of skill reset interface when a vehicle is blocked.
Fixed the option of tank selling, with equipment demounting with gold when there is no gold on account.
Fixed T95 elite status acquire when all modules are researched.
Fixed tank title cutting in the map loading window.
Fixed blurring and grain effect of messages in battle chat.
Fixed inability to repeatedly change anisotropic filtration in graphics settings.
Tank markers. Fixed absence of team icon color differentiation in battle.
Tank markers. Fixed settings of color blind mode.
Tank markers. Fixed team killer depiction.
Tank markers. Fixed highlighting of a teammate in platoon.
Tank markers. Added darkening to destroyed tank nicknames.
Fixed achievements display in player's statistics.
Returned team table depiction at pressing TAB key.
Fixed position of engine emission for TD M18 Hellcat.
Fixed model of suspension damage for TD ISU-152.
Fixed the bug when a crew member received preferments at skills reset and retrain.
Fixed capital letters depiction in names of TDs and SPGs in tank hint shown in garage.
"Demountable" equipment renamed to "Complex" in all interface elements.
Returned "Research" button for elite tanks.
Clarified Halonen's medal description.
Fixed voice chat type display for training room.
Removed unused shell types from store.
Changed gun prices for 5cm KwK 38 L/42, 5cm KwK 39 L/60, and 5cm PaK 39 L/60.
Changed visual model of Т32's second turret.
Fixed absence of scrolling in pop-up list of nations filter in barracks.
Removed several unused folders and files.

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I guess I'll have to log back on the test server to see what changes they made to the american tanks. I hope they didn't nerf the T34 that much, since I need a good premium tank.

I'll be getting my brother a premium tank for his B-day (thats what he wants). I wonder if I should wait to get him a T34, or if a Lowe would be a better choice. I wish the Type 59 would make its way back as a special and I'de buy us both one.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I guess I'll have to log back on the test server to see what changes they made to the american tanks. I hope they didn't nerf the T34 that much, since I need a good premium tank.

I'll be getting my brother a premium tank for his B-day (thats what he wants). I wonder if I should wait to get him a T34, or if a Lowe would be a better choice. I wish the Type 59 would make its way back as a special and I'de buy us both one.

Well, considering what is currently available if he wants a best cred farmer I'd suggest the Lowe. I can still out do my T-59 when it comes to cred farming in my Lowe. It comes down to play style though. Slow lumbering tanking tank (KV5) that bulldogs its way through or the sniping tank that can also go forward if needed (Lowe).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
KV5 requires a lot of skill and situational awareness to play. The gun is meh at it's tier and the huge R2d2 can be sniped from 600 meters away without much issues. On the other hand if its top tier, it means you'll have to fight other tier 8s that will more or less eat this thing alive. KT? check. T32? Check. IS-3? Check. Maybe you can duke it out with a lowe if he's not protecting his lower glacis/sniping the shit out of you.

On the other hand if you get mediums on the other side you stand a good chance as long as you stay with support. If the medium catches you alone? Good luck.

Reduced durability of suspension medium part in AMX 13 90, AMX M4 1945, and BDR G1B.

Oh boy. Not looking forward to that, but the AMX is too durable for its role anyway. Long as i don't lose tracks from PZIV hits I'm good with it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Any tips to get the KV faster from the T-28 grind, or just suck it up and go?

I got 16 days left on my premium account.

Also, what is a "derp" gun?

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Suck it up or convert free experience. Derp is the 152mm gun. It will 1 shot most tier 4 or belows and some tier 5s. But has a 23-25 second reload and terrible accuracy.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

I think the T-28 has the great 57mm gun and a 76mm, same ones the T-34 uses. I used the 57mm as it has great penetration, great firing rate and decent damage. The 85mm is the preferred gun most people use as it has 120mm of penetration.

You need to sit back and snipe, let others spot for you. You are a big mobile target with no armor, you will get eaten alive if anybody sees you. Use your speed to relocate and snipe, and go for flanking shots whenever possible (don't expose yourself though!!)

The 85mm is more than adequate to shred everything your tier plus more. It can hurt KV and KV3s and it can kill tigers and T-29s as well should you run into them.

A derp gun is a howitzer type gun where you load only HE rounds. You shoot it and forget about aiming, hence "derp".

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
I think the T-28 has the great 57mm gun and a 76mm, same ones the T-34 uses. I used the 57mm as it has great penetration, great firing rate and decent damage. The 85mm is the preferred gun most people use as it has 120mm of penetration.

You need to sit back and snipe, let others spot for you. You are a big mobile target with no armor, you will get eaten alive if anybody sees you. Use your speed to relocate and snipe, and go for flanking shots whenever possible (don't expose yourself though!!)

The 85mm is more than adequate to shred everything your tier plus more. It can hurt KV and KV3s and it can kill tigers and T-29s as well should you run into them.

A derp gun is a howitzer type gun where you load only HE rounds. You shoot it and forget about aiming, hence "derp".

Thanks (you too Genx)

I don't understand HE rounds enough so I guess I'll do some reading.

WOT Forums said:
The only guns where you want to use HE over AP are:
1) artillery
2) The 105mm gun on tier 4-7 German tanks.
3) The 152mm gun on the KV and SU-152.

All other guns with an AP option should be using it.

True/False?

Last edited:

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
1. Pretty much true, unless you are feeling lucky in your higher tier arty and loading AP rounds (or going to TD mode). Even then you are better off sticking with HE in arty 95% of the time.

2. Never used that gun. Too inaccurate and the regular guns have good accuracy and pen and damage values. If you do decide to use this gun, yes HE is the only way to go.

3. Yes HE for this gun on the KV at least. I"m not sure if the SU-152 has a better alternative, haven't played that tank.

There are other times that switching to HE can be beneficial:

1. In higher tier tanks, switching to HE for your first round to shoot scouts/french lights. If you Pen (which is possible) the damage has the potential to 1 shot (tier 10 guns) most scouts. It also seems you have a better chance to track the target. HE shells are also cheaper, so it doesn't cost as much if you miss.

2. Whenever you dont have a prayer of penning your target and they have thier weak spots covered. As an example, facing an E-100 head on in a hull down position (can't hit the lower glacias). The tier 9/10 tank guns can still do ~100+ dam hitting the turret, and you can easily damage his gun this way.