[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 22 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I agree. Artillery accuracy needs to be severely reduced. Having an artillery hit me repeatedly from the other side of the map while I'm moving is just fundamentally wrong. That's not WWII artillery, that's modern laser guided weaponry.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I agree. Artillery accuracy needs to be severely reduced. Having an artillery hit me repeatedly from the other side of the map while I'm moving is just fundamentally wrong. That's not WWII artillery, that's modern laser guided weaponry.

If they could introduce a wind variable or just a randomizer that puts your payload within a larger area and have increased splash damage or something, that would be ok, but I agree, the pinpoint accuracy they have now is unbalanced and not circa WWII.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
They should get rid of artillery. It was never used in this way to take out tanks anyways. At best if caught these units would have a small supply of AP for a direct fire role. Indirect was futile against tanks because it had to be ridiculously accurate and lucky. I understand they want to introduce a 3rd class to the game. But this is just annoying.

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
I'm thinking this game will be so much better when it's released. There will be so many more people playing and thus allowing the game to do a better job of balancing tanks.

I just see a lot of people whining about the balance. Each tank is difficult until you have it upgraded at least halfway, but if you know how to play the tank the process is much easier and enjoyable.

Arty is way too accurate but keep moving and stay behind hills and you'll be ok. Best hide behind the Jackass in the Heavy that's just camping at your base and let the Arty go for him while you snipe at there scouts. Heh, maybe you get lucky and get a shot on the Jackass because he moved in front of you while your shooting. You still get credits and XP for damaging the Heavy even if it's on your team. ;-)

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Unless you have maxed crew stats or are just plain damn lucky, the accuracy and speed at which arty sights itself after adjusting is rather crappy.

Blunc

Oct 4, 2007
asking for targeting sensors is pointless and does not fit the time period.

using a tank as an artillery piece definitely fits the time period and a well trained crew can definitely mess up an enemy formation.

team killing/team damage should have penalties just like would happen in real life, even if it was "an accident". a person should not gain points for damaging team mates. if that happened in real life they wouldn't be in a tank anymore.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
asking for targeting sensors is pointless and does not fit the time period.

using a tank as an artillery piece definitely fits the time period and a well trained crew can definitely mess up an enemy formation.

team killing/team damage should have penalties just like would happen in real life, even if it was "an accident". a person should not gain points for damaging team mates. if that happened in real life they wouldn't be in a tank anymore.

Artillery in the early stages is clumsy and awkward. Most players are just learning how to use it and have 50-60% crews. I never felt confident in my Russian Artillery (Tier 2 and 3) about hitting moving targets.

I am of the opinion that high end artillery are too accurate. Something which is somewhat backed up by the planned patch notes for the 0.6.x beta patch (10% increase in artillery weapon dispersal, 20% all-round reduction in shell velocity). I would go as far as to say that the early artillery does too much damage, one shotting the early tanks rather too easily for my liking.

Regarding friendly fire, I believe that if a Team Killing or Team Damage occurs within the first two minutes of a conflict then it is 99.99% of the time going to be deliberate.

Two solutions I would propose, perhaps to run concurrently:

1) No Friendly Fire damage can be caused within the first two minutes of the game. Means your force cannot be wiped out by a crazy person or have it's effectiveness reduced in any way.

2) If friendly fire is caused within the first two minutes, that player is cautioned automatically by the system and any rewards for the current match is reduced to zero. Should the same player cause FF damage within the first two minutes of a match over the next 24 hour period, rewards should be reduced to zero for 5 matches as an example.

I'd possibly say make friendly tanks who are currently capturing the enemy base immune to friendly fire.

To take up your point of friendly fire during combat scenarios, most of the time when I've hit someone, it's been their fault. If I am in a tank destroyer with a big gun, fully zoomed in and locking onto the soft side of an enemy heavy tank, do not drive in front of my line of sight. If someone does that at the wrong time, I've one-shotted a friendly medium tank because they walked into my crosshairs at the very instant I have pressed my left mouse button.

I am not sure that most combat FF incidents can be made punishable by an automatic system. However I will play the tongue in cheek, not serious at all joke about there being more Friendly Fire incidents once they release the American Tank Tree later this month :).

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
If they make artillery much less accurate, they may as well go ahead and take it out, at least the high-end arty.

20-40 second reload times for high end arty. Even now, a clear shot on a non-moving target can miss 50% (easily) or so, even when your reticule has stopped shrinking. If you only shoot once, maybe twice a minute, and whether you hit or not is decided by a total roll of the dice? Take them out, as I doubt a whole lot of players will put up with it.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm not looking to see artillery removed from the main game but I do hope to see some campaigns where there is no artillery and its just tank vs tank action on a map. Leave artillery in the main campaigns but allow us to choose to fight tanks of our own tier level. No capture the flag type of winning. Make it last tank or team standing type of thing. I'd like to see that some day. Just an idea anyway.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
As I progress though arty(su-26) and a medium tank(PIII) I would say arty can make or break a game. I wouldnt say arty is too accurate and any of the maps with alot of hills,rock, and houses gimps arty like you wouldnt believe. I will admit it does seem easy to track tanks with it and once you do all your other arty normally finishs the job. Now it just seems everyone rides the borders of the map to avoid being seen and getting barrages of arty coming down on them. I will admit it sucks getting one shotted by arty but if I roll up with my P3 or something as fast normally I can take a couple down before someone comes to their rescue. I think if they just added different scenerios it would make the game more fun and add something to it. Like attack and defend map or perhaps a bigger maps so arty loses some of their range.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm guessing they'll add more maps once they get the game out. That shouldn't be too hard. Right now they need to work on getting balance in fights taken care of first. Soon we'll see American line of tanks as well and that will add to the need of proper tank match up in fights.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Once you get beyond tier 3 there are no one shots coming from artillery, and even against tier 3 it's not 100% depending on the gun firing etc.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Once you get beyond tier 3 there are no one shots coming from artillery, and even against tier 3 it's not 100% depending on the gun firing etc.

A Russian Tier 6 Artillery can one-shot an IS-4 Tier 9 Russian Heavy tank.

I saw this happen while I was shadowing my teams advance along an enemy flank. 100% -> BOOM! in one shot.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Damn, must be nice. I'll sit in the grille and plunk against them like bbs.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Ha - I am thinking it might be where they get hit - like in the ammo rack or engine

Often it can be.

But in this case, I know the IS-4 driver and he told me after the match that it wasn't an ammo rack hit.

A 1-shot arty kill on a Tier 9 'Super Heavy'.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Arty can certainly oneshot T4/5/6+ even without racking them. Look at the damage tables, if they hit you and penetrate, you're going to have a bad day.

T6's still only have around 600 hp's +/-.

Some maps are getting really stale though and have just turned into huge campfests since people are scared to death of arty.

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Some maps are getting really stale though and have just turned into huge campfests since people are scared to death of arty.
And that's proof right there that artillery is currently unbalancing the game.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

Yeah - it's starting to get to me. Esp when there are 4-6 arty you get bracketed when you try to go in and kill them. Sure I can get a couple but its sure death to try

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Trying out the tank destroyers. I could like this class. Really fun. But some of the maps are not condusive to their role. And of course arty is god damned annoying.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Often it can be.

But in this case, I know the IS-4 driver and he told me after the match that it wasn't an ammo rack hit.

My Su-14 maxes out at about 24-2500 damage. Still, that has to be lucky (to hit the high end of the range), it needs to be a direct hit, and it probably needs to penetrate. Otherwise, it's not going to oneshot him without an ammo rack hit. The highest thing I can recall oneshotting is an IS.

Speaking of, I'll try and get you some screenies tonight.

And that's proof right there that artillery is currently unbalancing the game.

That's only part of the problem. They can keep nerfing artillery accuracy and so on, but very, very soon, arty will cease to be fun to play (except when your reload time is <15 seconds). I have a 38 second reload time, and I miss maybe half my shots on good targets, at least, through no fault of my own. Making that worse isn't going to make me want to play.

The way I see it, they have several options to fix this:
1) Nerf arty into oblivion. Almost no one plays it. It wouldn't take all that much nerfing to accuracy to make anyone above a Su-26 not even bother.
2) Remove arty completely. Mostly the same effect as above.
3) Rework arty. Maybe make it fire a lot faster, do less damage. Allow low damage barrages, or something. Suppressing fire. Some sort of debuff that happens on hit. SOMETHING.

Also, artillery needs a nerf to their overhead view. Big-time. If you can't see a tank at 3000 yards, I don't see how you see a fence getting knocked down at 3000 yards. Tracing an artillery shell should get you to maybe a 2x2 square area around the artillery. Too many times, I've been oneshotted by artillery from across the map, with no scouts, simply because I fired once, and they traced the round. My arty has been on the Russian chain, which is worse at move-and-shoot at the high end than the Germans, and I get outranged by even mid-level German arty. Not only can they oneshot me, but I can't shoot back.

There's a reason I have a long-running hatred of Hummels.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Smoke would help, larger maps would help, reduced accuracy, shorter range.

A vegetation randomizer would another great addition, if they could make it work correctly. A lot of players know where the best spots are and will just fire randomly into those areas and often get lucky.

Wish they would push this patch out though, I'd really like the long distance warping to become a thing of the past, it can be crippling for TD's in certain situations.

Any further changes to arty though would require the maps to be reworked and the matchmaking redone. There are some matches that cannot be won without arty it's often the key to taking out the #1 tank on the other side. If your arty is dead or inept that one guy will steamroll your entire team.

Yeah, Hummels are really a pain to deal with, very fast and deadly. Had some "fun" chasing one all around the map in my SU100 the other day, I couldn't catch him.

Last edited:

HarvardAce

Mar 3, 2005
Has anyone gotten a beta invite in the last week? One week into applying and I still haven't seen an invite -- want to make sure it's not getting filtered out somewhere along the way. I signed up with another e-mail account as well and haven't gotten anything there, so I doubt it's a filtering issue.