[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I wish this place had a multi-quote system.

Hetzer + 10.5cm gun - USE HE AMMO ONLY!

The Hetzer, for it's tier, is quite a good tank. It's decently agile and the front armour will ping a lot of shots from Tier 3/4 tanks. The 10.5cm gun is not super accurate and has poor penetration... but it turns into a BEAST with the HE ammo.

You can remove many low tier tanks in a single shot or at the very least cripple them. Even though it is not advised to engage higher tier tanks, you can actually do some healthy damage to even the Mighty IS-4 Tier 9 Russian Heavy Tank. If you have the advantage of a screen/distractions then you can punch some holes in some of the heavy tanks and medium tanks that would wipe you in 1 shot.

My Hetzer was generally wiped out by Artillery. Things do not improve much in my opinion with the StuG III and JagdPanzerIV... but I enjoyed the Hetzer, compared to most people.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Problem with hetzer and arty is that it's so damn slow even with the engine upgrade that arty can drop a couple shots on you by guestimate or worse if they track you.

As for her gun, the 105 with he was good, but you'd have to be at carnal knowledge distance and the reload time was terrible unless you planned on hiding till the fast movers were all dead. Since it takes so many points to unlock the final spot (the stug) I tried the improved 75 with ap and that seems generally better. You may be a bit more screwed against those t8+, but against the bulk of the mediums you can at least plunk away decently at range.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Server is down... possible update?

As soon as I came out of the game. it said I'd been disconnected. Reason: Server Restarted.

Doubtful it's an update. I think their server is being absolutely hammered and can't handle it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I wish this place had a multi-quote system.

It does! :awe:
Hetzer + 10.5cm gun - USE HE AMMO ONLY!

The Hetzer, for it's tier, is quite a good tank. It's decently agile and the front armour will ping a lot of shots from Tier 3/4 tanks. The 10.5cm gun is not super accurate and has poor penetration... but it turns into a BEAST with the HE ammo.

So would it be better for me to ditch the 75 for the 105mm and just use HE then? I guess I am still not grasping well when to use AP and HE with different gun types vs diff armor types

Problem with hetzer and arty is that it's so damn slow even with the engine upgrade that arty can drop a couple shots on you by guestimate or worse if they track you.

As for her gun, the 105 with he was good, but you'd have to be at carnal knowledge distance and the reload time was terrible unless you planned on hiding till the fast movers were all dead. Since it takes so many points to unlock the final spot (the stug) I tried the improved 75 with ap and that seems generally better. You may be a bit more screwed against those t8+, but against the bulk of the mediums you can at least plunk away decently at range.

Maybe I'll just bite and get both guns to see what works better

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
That makes sense. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something else

The Penetration figure ex. 100mm is an average. The deviation is plus or minus 30% so it's 70mm-130mm penetration. The 0.6.1.5 patch this month is going to reduce that to 25% deviation.

It does! :awe:

So would it be better for me to ditch the 75 for the 105mm and just use HE then? I guess I am still not grasping well when to use AP and HE with different gun types vs diff armor types

The 10.5cm is born to use HE.

Low AP penetration and high HE damage are the major indicators here.

General AP Vs. HE Rules:

• If you cannot penetrate a tank reliably, use HE. You will at the very least do some damage to their systems. If you would a gunner, smack their ammo rack or damage a track... I'm sure you know how powerful those tools can be.
  • If you can penetrate a tank reliably, use AP. It goes it, it does damage, everyone wins except the tank you're punching holes in.
  • If you can penetrate with HE rounds, do so. These occurrences are odd. In a T1-2 fight you can find that some tanks really benefit from using HE exclusively as they cause more damage than AP. High end tanks may use a lot of HE also though they typically penetrate anything except truly scary tanks in front armour.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Blocked at work -- any ETA? Was planning on leaving work right at 5 so I could play, but if it's going to be a while then I'll stay later and take off a bit early tomorrow ;)

ETA - it's already back up.

Restarts usually take 20-30 minutes and once a day at 7am GMT.

Canun

Apr 1, 2006
I guess I'll try a full HE loadout for the 10.5cm gun. I do know I killed a KV3 point blank with an ap round on the 10.5. It just takes half an hour to get it reloaded.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
I guess I'll try a full HE loadout for the 10.5cm gun. I do know I killed a KV3 point blank with an ap round on the 10.5. It just takes half an hour to get it reloaded.

Don't even talk to me. My 203mm S-51 has a fire rate of 1.63 rounds per minute. Costs me 1.4k credits per shell, haha.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

The 10.5cm gun is a beast for the Hetzer. Just be sure you don't miss ig there is a tank bearing down on you

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
The 10.5cm gun is a beast for the Hetzer. Just be sure you don't miss ig there is a tank bearing down on you

I am finally getting some points with it now that I can do more than knock politely on someone's turret with my shells

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Spent a little time with Heati901 and some other guy.

My apologies. I connected via TeamSpeak3 but apparently I had some connection problems (downloading Lord Of The Rings Online at the same time) which interferred with team voice chat.

Had a few good games with fellow AT'ers. I hope to get my connection problem is fixed, but it might not be for a day or two.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Another horrid lag day. I sure hope they fix it before launch. Has anyone heard when next big patch goes live?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Another horrid lag day. I sure hope they fix it before launch. Has anyone heard when next big patch goes live?

0.6.1.5 proposed change log

Posted by Overlord himself (head of the moderators I believe)

Main points:

Last updated: 2nd November
Proposed patch date: First Part of November
Russians were patched to this on the 30th October.

Last edited:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Patch Notes update!!!

Available 11th November!

Finally!

For what it's worth, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to guns. I'd rather take less damage to use a gun with a faster reload. This is especially true on TD's. Too often I find it left to me to take out scouts and mediums and this is where a miss can be fatal. I'd rather get 3-4 shots off and be allowed to miss than put all of my faith into getting a one-shot kill. Otherwise I'm going to get flanked and it's game over.

So far the best gun I've use in the game is the 107mm on my SU-85. It's strikes a good balance between penetration/damage and reload. IIRC it's around 175/300 with 7.89 reload. Anything slower than that is just too damn slow.

I unlocked the 122mm on my SU100 the other day, it's around 175/330 5.89 and the shells cost 1000+. To me this gun was completely unusable, there is still no guarantee of a oneshot kill on T4's and you're pretty much only getting one shot. The reload is about the same as my Wespe. After 10 games or so I went back to the 100mm. Unfortunately, going further up the Russian TD tree looks to be more of the same, basically nothing but ginormous arty guns :(

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Interesting patch notes. Wonder what effect reducing gun velocity will have.

Hope this really fixes teloporting tanks.

And. Hope this new battle tier for heavies makes better matches when in a medium.