[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
I love love love my AT-1, fully upgraded with the camp net it just messes up most light vehicles. Prefer the light games, feels more fluid and fun, the med/heavy games I find my pz IV just dies too fast.

Edit: Playing as 'Coolbeans' usually I don't talk unless I'm drinking or bored.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Why is there a panzer III light tank and a panzer III medium tank? The medium one is 2x as expensive, is there a big difference?

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I have the KV now. So far my experience with it is horrid. Its a pig of a tank. The beginning 76mm gun sucks horribly. I upgraded the suspension and gun (122mm) but I'm still plagued with two main problems. Every time I get hit either the gas tanks get hit or my gun is disabled. I don't mind the gas tanks so much but without a gun I'm just a big metal paperweight that can't move worth crap. Tracks get blown a lot too. So far this is the worse tank IMHO in the Russian Heavy Tank line. Saving up now for the 107mm gun. Hopefully that along with a engine upgrade things will get better. If the KV3 is worse I'll probably go mad. LOL

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I have the KV now. So far my experience with it is horrid. Its a pig of a tank. The beginning 76mm gun sucks horribly. I upgraded the suspension and gun (122mm) but I'm still plagued with two main problems. Every time I get hit either the gas tanks get hit or my gun is disabled. I don't mind the gas tanks so much but without a gun I'm just a big metal paperweight that can't move worth crap. Tracks get blown a lot too. So far this is the worse tank IMHO in the Russian Heavy Tank line. Saving up now for the 107mm gun. Hopefully that along with a engine upgrade things will get better. If the KV3 is worse I'll probably go mad. LOL

Engine and suspension makes things better... but not by much.

From what I have heard, the 107mm is excellent to pick up, especially if you are heading down the KV-3 route. The KV-3 is supposed to be a very similar tank to the KV but with slightly superior mobility and armour. I find the KV-3 awkward in my T-43 and JagdPzIV.

Personally I am being awkward and different and going for the KV-1S. Superior mobility with reasonable armour should hopefully give me an edge as I am experienced with medium tanks.

Today, I desperately need to earn my Suspension upgrade for my JagdPzIV. Without it, I cannot upgrade my gun (which is a desperation), can't upgrade my engine (which is desperate too) and can't equip my camo net... which is odd but cool.

I seriously messed up with the transition from StuG III to JagdPzIV. The suspension is a dire must because you don't have the capacity to do anything without it. I also looked at the sale price of my StuG III with binocs and camo net on so when it came to selling, I was over 100k credits away from where I wanted to be... and I sold it with the gun on, the gun I wanted to use on my JagdPzIV.

Fail day yesterday :)

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

Duh, it's the first Russian heavy. Of COURSE it's going to be the worst of the Russian heavies. There ARE no other Russian heavy tank lines.

:rolleyes:

Even completely upgraded, the KV is an easy tank to defeat. Know what? Don't put yourself in that position. Snipe with it. Run base defense. Defend arty. Roll with the tank destroyers. It's not a medium tank so don't expect it to be :p

Don't try to make the tank do what you think it should do. Learn what it does and adapt what it does to the battle.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
So i kill a few tanks, we won, get 500exp about. So about 30 games it takes to get a new tanks. Then have to save up points to buy said tank.

I don't get it. Been playing since start of this thread and can only get light tanks or other low ranked tanks.

Another stupid thing about game is art can one shot tanks, how is that fun. Lots of maps you don't even get to fight because you die before you get in range of any tanks. lol

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I seriously messed up with the transition from StuG III to JagdPzIV. The suspension is a dire must because you don't have the capacity to do anything without it. I also looked at the sale price of my StuG III with binocs and camo net on so when it came to selling, I was over 100k credits away from where I wanted to be... and I sold it with the gun on, the gun I wanted to use on my JagdPzIV.

Fail day yesterday :)

Dumb question, but why not just take the camo net and binocs off your StuG III and put them on your JagdPzIV?

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
So finally just focused on grinding my Pzkpwf IV to the VK.. What a difference that Long 70 gun made on my Pzk IV.

The VK3601H is a huge upgrade. It has nearly twice the armor as the PZK and access to much better gun. the 88mm. Now shells are starting to bounce more often off of my armor and I'm begining to feel like a tank and not a paper kite.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Played around a bit with the hetzer and 105. Tossing HE shells does decent damage, even managed to bag a tiger 2. Main problem is it has an absurd reload time so if ya don't nail one of the slow guys as he's coming in the result ain't gonna be pretty.
Also have to be within about 100m to get a decent hit on most of the vehicles you'll face.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Played around a bit with the hetzer and 105. Tossing HE shells does decent damage, even managed to bag a tiger 2. Main problem is it has an absurd reload time so if ya don't nail one of the slow guys as he's coming in the result ain't gonna be pretty.
Also have to be within about 100m to get a decent hit on most of the vehicles you'll face.

Thats the main difference between that and the Stug III. Mobility. The Stug is much more agile. It also gets a nice gun that has high pen.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Dumb question, but why not just take the camo net and binocs off your StuG III and put them on your JagdPzIV?

Each of those parts has a "size." You can't buy a camo net for your MS-1 and fit it onto your IS-7. :p

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Each of those parts has a "size." You can't buy a camo net for your MS-1 and fit it onto your IS-7. :p

You totally sure about that? I was able to take my camo net off my Hetzer and put it on my StuG without a problem. Maybe it wouldn't work between a MS-1 and an IS-7, but he's just going from a StuG to a JagdPzIV. Anyhow, if he sold it it's too late already.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Duh, it's the first Russian heavy. Of COURSE it's going to be the worst of the Russian heavies. There ARE no other Russian heavy tank lines.

:rolleyes:

Even completely upgraded, the KV is an easy tank to defeat. Know what? Don't put yourself in that position. Snipe with it. Run base defense. Defend arty. Roll with the tank destroyers. It's not a medium tank so don't expect it to be :p

Don't try to make the tank do what you think it should do. Learn what it does and adapt what it does to the battle.

Thats exactly the strategy I'm doing. I'm not used to getting my gun damaged all the time though. I guess before when I got hit I got destroyed outright but now that the KV can actually take some hits it actually gets damaged up some first. I'm just not used to it.

I think the new engine upgrade will cut down on the gas problem since its 15% as opposed to the stock engine that has a 30% of catching fire. At least I hope so. The constant gun damage though I don't know. Not sure if I'm just having a lot of bad luck or if the early guns are prone to it. In my reading through the WoT forums I haven't seen anyone say they are. Once I get to the 107mm I'll have a better idea of its overall performance as a tank is.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You totally sure about that? I was able to take my camo net off my Hetzer and put it on my StuG without a problem. Maybe it wouldn't work between a MS-1 and an IS-7, but he's just going from a StuG to a JagdPzIV. Anyhow, if he sold it it's too late already.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure about it. The sHitzer and the StuG are the same size tanks and can swap camo. There are a few like this, but most aren't interchangable. If you look at the camo details, there's a size rating.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Thats exactly the strategy I'm doing. I'm not used to getting my gun damaged all the time though. I guess before when I got hit I got destroyed outright but now that the KV can actually take some hits it actually gets damaged up some first. I'm just not used to it.

I think the new engine upgrade will cut down on the gas problem since its 15% as opposed to the stock engine that has a 30% of catching fire. At least I hope so. The constant gun damage though I don't know. Not sure if I'm just having a lot of bad luck or if the early guns are prone to it. In my reading through the WoT forums I haven't seen anyone say they are. Once I get to the 107mm I'll have a better idea of its overall performance as a tank is.

Yep, the new engine cuts that down quite a bit. So will a wet rack and other crap but they're not worth the money, IMO.

I almost never had gun problems. Most people attacking me in my KV and KV3 went for the ass end (like they should have).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Sale price of my StuG III with Camo and Binocs was something like $390,000.

Knowing I didn't want to see my Camo Net and Binocs, I removed them and sold my StuG III.

The 'However' comes from me forgetting that removing the Camo Net and Binocs reduced the sale value of the StuG III significantly ($600,000 of equipment) and it left me short when buying my JagdPzIV making things worse to start off in my new tank.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Been playing this game the last two days... in tier 3 already... very much enjoying it though I wish there was more team work. If you are in a platoon can you make a game and have everyone in the platoon join it?

1) Post you in game name...
2) Join the ATOT channel
3) Ask for a platoon game with the people in there...
4) ????
5) Profit

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Sale price of my StuG III with Camo and Binocs was something like $390,000.

Knowing I didn't want to see my Camo Net and Binocs, I removed them and sold my StuG III.

The 'However' comes from me forgetting that removing the Camo Net and Binocs reduced the sale value of the StuG III significantly ($600,000 of equipment) and it left me short when buying my JagdPzIV making things worse to start off in my new tank.

Ah, got it now. Well, the sale price of the net and the binocs is half of what you paid for them (50k and 250k), so you saved yourself 300k in the long run if both of them will fit on the JPIV

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Ah, got it now. Well, the sale price of the net and the binocs is half of what you paid for them (50k and 250k), so you saved yourself 300k in the long run if both of them will fit on the JPIV

But I cost myself a lot of enjoyment... by forgetting that removing the Net and the Binocs would reduce the amount of credits I would receive for selling my StuG III.

If I'd had my head screwed on the right way, I'd have been grinding out that extra cash and had more free experience to propel me closer to near max JagdPanzerIV goodness.

Now slowly grinding out for the 8.8cm PaK and then JagdPanther.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Why is there a panzer III light tank and a panzer III medium tank? The medium one is 2x as expensive, is there a big difference?

The difference is when you are in the light tank you go up to the medium thinking... "hey he is just like me a panzer III light", just to find out your shells aren't penerating and he ain't no light tank.;)

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
So I started playing this a couple of days ago, in game name Merakys. It's a fairly fun diversion but IMO has some serious flaws right now even if you don't count the major bugs like warping issues.

The biggest gripe really that I have is the total lack of documentation. Even simple stuff, like when you start a standard battle, is there a way to pick the maps you're interested in? I hate taking out a an AT-1 and getting dropped in an urban map for example. Equipment info is so sparse it seems to mainly just be "higher on the list = better" - like gun stats, penetration vs damage, etc. How do they really fit into the game mechanics? Is there a way to see something like the accuracy of a gun?

Crew members in particular I have no idea about... Do they have totally different skills for each tank type? Is there any point in keeping like a primary crew that you move around to whatever tank you're playing?