[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Do not upgrade your hetzer at all! Do not waste any time or xp on that piece of crap. Just push right on through to stug3.

The 10.5cm gun is an extremely useful piece of kit and enables the Hetzer to damage Tier 8 tanks.

Any damage you do to enemy tanks is extremely beneficial when it comes to experience gain. 336 average experience gained with a max of 1,000 experience gained in one match... it's worth the diversion ;)

It is also the gun you will use on your StuG III as soon as you purchase the suspension for it.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
It's much easier to get xp in the Stug3 than the Hetzer. That's why wasting time earning a gun in the hetzer is pointless.

Who cares if you can damage tier 8's? It's not like the Hetzer is always dumped into a match with nothing but tier 8's...

All that xp you waste on the hetzer is just that many more battles in that giant piece of shit.

Can you tell that I hate playing the hetzer? :p

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
It's much easier to get xp in the Stug3 than the Hetzer. That's why wasting time earning a gun in the hetzer is pointless.

Who cares if you can damage tier 8's? It's not like the Hetzer is always dumped into a match with nothing but tier 8's...

All that xp you waste on the hetzer is just that many more battles in that giant piece of shit.

Can you tell that I hate playing the hetzer? :p

Finding my StuG III to be hell fully upgraded.

I want my upgraded Hetzer back.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Finding my StuG III to be hell fully upgraded.

I want my upgraded Hetzer back.

WHAT?

The StugIII is one of the best low tier tanks in the game while the Hezter is among the worst.

On a side note, 90k from my t-43 to the t-44, backing to farming with my S-51...

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
WHAT?

The StugIII is one of the best low tier tanks in the game while the Hezter is among the worst.

On a side note, 90k from my t-43 to the t-44, backing to farming with my S-51...

That's only 90-180 games. I think I have over a thousand games played total. :biggrin:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I've come to believe the short barreled 75 on the pz3 sucks donkey dong.

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
Yay got my KV. Actually feel like a tank now, tho i really need to upgrade it, especially the gun.But wow does it turn soo slowly.

On a side note I'm interested in when do you guys use AP and HE shells. Usually i use HE when I get an spg in my sights but what about more armored targets. Say like kv range?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Yay got my KV. Actually feel like a tank now, tho i really need to upgrade it, especially the gun.But wow does it turn soo slowly.

On a side note I'm interested in when do you guys use AP and HE shells. Usually i use HE when I get an spg in my sights but what about more armored targets. Say like kv range?

It depends on your gun and their tank.

If your gun is going to reliably penetrate their armour with AP, then use AP.

If you don't stand a cat in hells chance of penetrating their armour, use HE.

If your gun is so awesome that you could reliably penetrate their armour with HE, use HE.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Got my T28 fully upgraded now. With the 85mm gun its not such a pig of a tank as it was at the start. Its still squishy as all get out though. I get one shotted a lot. Playing against Tigers and IS is just frustrating. I've taken to sniping from heavy woods when I can find them. At least now I can do some damage to the big boys although its maybe 5-10 points or so depending on where I hit them. Still, I get one or two hits in and that gives me more experience than if I hit nothing at the end of the battle. Can't wait to graduate to the KV.

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
you'll find that the started gun on the kv does less damage than the 85mm on t28 but you will survive more than 1 hit! and that you turn excruciatingly slow.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
The KV and KV3 are far too slow to really be decent tanks, too. They're fun, in their own way, but once you hit the IS, the fun goes through the freaking roof. :biggrin:
Speaking of, I finally got my IS tonight, when I should have been doing work. :D

Just wait till you get the upgraded (ha!) turret, which is required for the 107 (highly, highly, recommended). The turret loses about 10-12 degrees/sec of traverse speed.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I am enjoying the 122mm on the KV. I also have access to the KV-2 Turret but not the 107mm yet. Might skip using the 107mm on the KV until I get my KV-3/KV-1S

Nox51

Jul 4, 2009
I saw the traverse on the turret. and with the shitty traverse on the tracks as well it's gonna be hell do make a three point turn in it and shoot something faster than me.

But at least i can survive on average 3 hits now. Just don't make me go to the other side of the map. It hurts.

Mar 10, 2005
I saw the traverse on the turret. and with the shitty traverse on the tracks as well it's gonna be hell do make a three point turn in it and shoot something faster than me.

But at least i can survive on average 3 hits now. Just don't make me go to the other side of the map. It hurts.

how about turning while climbing up even a small hill? yeah, good times

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
Will i be able to drive a king tiger in this?

If you have the patience to grind through all the lower tier German tanks, yes.

At least, that's what everyone refers to the Tiger II as. I know nothing about WW2 tanks except what I've learned here, so...

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
oo cool, just finished downloading the beta, hope theres the 188 ton german maus tank in there :D king tiger was something like 70 tons for scale.

edit: aw balls it costs 6 million silver coins :(

Last edited:

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I've played in maybe fifteen or twenty battles at this point. Enough to get a feel for it, and I don't think this game is going to hold me. The tank battles are fun enough, but I'm a fan of the genre since M1 Tank Platoon, and I'll give any armor sim a try. They do need to fix the issues with opponents glitching around and appearing/disappearing. Probably this is all lag-related, and it's a beta after all.

Less easy to tweak is the overall game design, and I just don't think there's enough there. You can play around in the garage and spawn for battle, and that's about it. If you get taken out early then apparently you can't drop and enter another battle, so in some cases if you're unlucky you spend five or six minutes doing nothing, maybe more. It feels a little like Battlefield for tanks without the respawn.

The way I would put it is they either bit off too much, or not enough, depending on how you look at it. The action is too slow for an armor-oriented shooter, and there isn't enough there to really think of it as a persistent world game. I think they could make it work as a "persistent shooter" if they upped the game dynamics a little, maybe add some form of respawn, more bases to cap, etc. As it is now the game is sort of like flank steak: somewhere between ground beef and NY strip.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I've played in maybe fifteen or twenty battles at this point. Enough to get a feel for it, and I don't think this game is going to hold me. The tank battles are fun enough, but I'm a fan of the genre since M1 Tank Platoon, and I'll give any armor sim a try. They do need to fix the issues with opponents glitching around and appearing/disappearing. Probably this is all lag-related, and it's a beta after all.

Less easy to tweak is the overall game design, and I just don't think there's enough there. You can play around in the garage and spawn for battle, and that's about it. If you get taken out early then apparently you can't drop and enter another battle, so in some cases if you're unlucky you spend five or six minutes doing nothing, maybe more. It feels a little like Battlefield for tanks without the respawn.

The way I would put it is they either bit off too much, or not enough, depending on how you look at it. The action is too slow for an armor-oriented shooter, and there isn't enough there to really think of it as a persistent world game. I think they could make it work as a "persistent shooter" if they upped the game dynamics a little, maybe add some form of respawn, more bases to cap, etc. As it is now the game is sort of like flank steak: somewhere between ground beef and NY strip.

You can drop out of battle after getting killed and then start a new battle with another tank. Granted you can't use the same tank but you can do it. Dropping out of battle and jumping into another with a different tank can also speed up the exp gain if you constantly keep doing it. Just keep switching back and forth. Also they bill it as a MMO but I think its more like a MP game. Like all games this one will appeal to some but not others.

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I am enjoying the 122mm on the KV. I also have access to the KV-2 Turret but not the 107mm yet. Might skip using the 107mm on the KV until I get my KV-3/KV-1S

You won't use the 107 on the IS. You can use the 122 on the IS, but there is a second 122 you can unlock for 19k xp that's the exact same 122 you're already using but with faster refire. That's the gun you'll use on the IS.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

KV and KV3 are tanks that should either be camping or sniping. Being right in the middle of a fight is a no-no for KV/3.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
You can drop out of battle after getting killed and then start a new battle with another tank. Granted you can't use the same tank but you can do it. Dropping out of battle and jumping into another with a different tank can also speed up the exp gain if you constantly keep doing it. Just keep switching back and forth. Also they bill it as a MMO but I think its more like a MP game. Like all games this one will appeal to some but not others.

I agree with that last statement for sure. I'll keep it installed and have a look as they update the client. If they can get rid of the glitching issues I've been seeing then it might be a fun diversion.