[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I agree with that last statement for sure. I'll keep it installed and have a look as they update the client. If they can get rid of the glitching issues I've been seeing then it might be a fun diversion.

The glitching you see is called Warping and should be fixed with the 0.6.x patch which comes in around early November (probably mid-November) alongside the US Tank Tech Tree so hopefully your wait won't be long.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The glitching you see is called Warping and should be fixed with the 0.6.x patch which comes in around early November (probably mid-November) alongside the US Tank Tech Tree so hopefully your wait won't be long.

Warping is madness when playing a TD. Fast small and medium tanks can zip right up to you and blow you away while you watch helplessly as their position updates once every two seconds. Even if they don't spot and attack you, you're then forced into close range deflection shots against a fast moving target. Not the best of scenarios.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Warping is madness when playing a TD. Fast small and medium tanks can zip right up to you and blow you away while you watch helplessly as their position updates once every two seconds. Even if they don't spot and attack you, you're then forced into close range deflection shots against a fast moving target. Not the best of scenarios.

It's awful to the nth degree in a TD... especially with those really really fast tanks.

Warping at 50m is a no-no too. Seeing an IS-3 pop around a corner and be a tanks length out of the corner before you see it means you're actually dead before you can react.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
It depends on your gun and their tank.

If your gun is going to reliably penetrate their armour with AP, then use AP.

If you don't stand a cat in hells chance of penetrating their armour, use HE.

If your gun is so awesome that you could reliably penetrate their armour with HE, use HE.

This is what I was testing on your T-43 with my T-34... HE did no damage...

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
Speaking of, I finally got my IS tonight, when I should have been doing work. :D

Just wait till you get the upgraded (ha!) turret, which is required for the 107 (highly, highly, recommended). The turret loses about 10-12 degrees/sec of traverse speed.

Yes... I adore circling round KVs and just pinging them, death of a thousand cuts :)

This is why you don't want to get caught on your own in a KV in the open...

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
Yes... I adore circling round KVs and just pinging them, death of a thousand cuts :)

This is why you don't want to get caught on your own in a KV in the open...

Yeah, you had just better hope that you don't get tracked by another tank while circling me. Because then my cannon will have enough time to swivel to you and fire. And believe me if I happen to have my 152mm "Jesus Gun" mounted there aren't any light tanks that will live if hit and it'll take down most medium tanks as well :).

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
This is what I was testing on your T-43 with my T-34... HE did no damage...

High Explosive rounds will do a TON of damage but have NO penetration. They're only good for gas tanks, tracks, and smaller tanks. If you can't penetrate with AP, you won't do shit with HE.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
High Explosive rounds will do a TON of damage but have NO penetration. They're only good for gas tanks, tracks, and smaller tanks. If you can't penetrate with AP, you won't do shit with HE.

If that was precisely the case, my HE shells from my Hetzer/StuG III's 10.5cm wouldn't be able to deal any damage to the top end tanks, whereas I know I can punch about 6% off an IS-4 with it :)

Penetration (AP/Prem/HE): 64mm/150mm/53mm

Damage (AP/Prem/HE): 350/350/410

Extremely low penetration values but very high damage values.

There has to be something like an ((HE damage + HE armour penetration) - Enemy Armour Thickness) with some sort of nod to the angle of impact.

Complicated I know but could explain why a T-34 can't reliably damage a T-43 with HE rounds. (low penetration for HE, 57mm ZiS is low damage)

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Easy

When the game was reset a while ago, the wipe did not delete things. It liquified all owned tanks back into their EXP and Credit values.

So everyone had a ton of credits and free experience so they could quickly jump up the research table as fast as possible to pick up tanks like the IS-7 and Maus.

Thats not what i'm saying. I've played hundreds of games, and only can get access to light and some tank killer tanks.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Been playing this game the last two days... in tier 3 already... very much enjoying it though I wish there was more team work. If you are in a platoon can you make a game and have everyone in the platoon join it?

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
Well my grind through the Pfw IV is almost done. I finally gave up and bought the turret/track/long 70 gun upgrade.

More than doubled most of my experience so the grind to the VK3601H was quicker. It will be nice with nearly double the armor soon.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Bought the hetzer last night, boy does that thing suck big ones in stock mode. Played with it just long enough to get the 105 on it, hopefully that changes things a bit. At least it can take slightly more damage from mediums than the marder.

I wish there was a good place to read about the armor values and penetratioj for all the vehicles in this game, while I haven't been in anything greater than tier 4 yet, I've played most of my games since leaving tier 2 with opponents of tiers 7-9. Nothing like seeing an end game screen cap that says 15 shots, 11 hits and not listing any tanks on the damage section.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Bought the hetzer last night, boy does that thing suck big ones in stock mode. Played with it just long enough to get the 105 on it, hopefully that changes things a bit. At least it can take slightly more damage from mediums than the marder.

I wish there was a good place to read about the armor values and penetratioj for all the vehicles in this game, while I haven't been in anything greater than tier 4 yet, I've played most of my games since leaving tier 2 with opponents of tiers 7-9. Nothing like seeing an end game screen cap that says 15 shots, 11 hits and not listing any tanks on the damage section.

From the TechTree in your Garage, you can click on any and all tanks, see all of their upgrades, and read all about their statistics for each of their upgrades.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Yeah it shows raw numbers, but I'd like to see more detail similar to ballistic testing between different guns/ammo/and target chasis.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007

Hetzer's are definately not good. In fact. TD's in general really aren't good. In "General" you can do the same and more with a tank at moment. TD's need a boost somehow. They have some guns with slightly better armor penetration but at the cost of being turretless and very very slow.

If it were up to me to balance TD's with Tanks I'd give them +30% Camo when stationary. and maybe +50% frontal armor.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Hetzer's are definately not good. In fact. TD's in general really aren't good. In "General" you can do the same and more with a tank at moment. TD's need a boost somehow. They have some guns with slightly better armor penetration but at the cost of being turretless and very very slow.

If it were up to me to balance TD's with Tanks I'd give them +30% Camo when stationary. and maybe +50% frontal armor.

I enjoyed my Hetzer to a degree. Smashing a couple of KV's and IS tanks whilst they were distracted and not stupid enough to treat me as an easy kill was fun.

I am definitely not enjoying my StuG III. Even in lowbie matches where I am near king (KV-3 highest opponent) I find myself being set alight, losing a track and no-one supporting me, having my engine blown out... are all common occurences at that level.

3k away from my JagdPzIV and I cannot wait.

Personally, I do not think that TD's can be properly judged in the current game. With the currently impaired detection system and the warping, TD's unique stealth sniper role is inhibited by the fact that warping turns aiming into more guesswork and the detection system means they can be revealed unexpectedly or unable to see something they should be able to.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
While I agree with you it's not a complete picture yet with those bugs, the general trend is still there.

Tanks are vastly superior to TD's in nearly all respects, even on the ambush level.

They need something a bit more different from tanks to add to their abilities.

Maybe they could just be hardened against most arty shells.

More Camo/More front armor/Arty resistance.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
While I agree with you it's not a complete picture yet with those bugs, the general trend is still there.

Tanks are vastly superior to TD's in nearly all respects, even on the ambush level.

They need something a bit more different from tanks to add to their abilities.

Maybe they could just be hardened against most arty shells.

More Camo/More front armor/Arty resistance.

Maybe that's the way forward.

More penetration/damage is probably a better way to improve things.

Sadly, I have a constant and inherent ~1 second lag despite what my ping says which makes certain situations near impossible to work with.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
The grind on this game is crazy long. maybe 50 games today and not enough for a new tank. It will take my a year to get to a heavy or med tank.

bockie

Jan 26, 2001
The grind on this game is crazy long. maybe 50 games today and not enough for a new tank. It will take my a year to get to a heavy or med tank.

I've only been playing for not even three weeks now and I'm on Tier 3 on most everything. I can actually purchase a KV Heavy right now. I'm not a great player either. Ask elcs, he's had me in his sight several times only his gunner was out drinking the night before. :)

What tank are you on and what are you going for? Some of us can offer advice on equipment layouts.

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
I've only been playing for not even three weeks now and I'm on Tier 3 on most everything. I can actually purchase a KV Heavy right now. I'm not a great player either. Ask elcs, he's had me in his sight several times only his gunner was out drinking the night before. :)

What tank are you on and what are you going for? Some of us can offer advice on equipment layouts.

Typically when I have faced bockie it has been in one of my lower tier tanks or when I've already had my gunner wounded. (affects accuracy like hell)

If you need help, shout and we'll advise you!

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

Rubbish. If you use your gold for NOTHING but Premium (like a smart person :p), you should be in a medium tank within an hour or two.

bockie

Jan 26, 2001
imaheadcase,

Join the ATOT Channel in game. I haven't done any "training" yet but I'd be more than willing to be cannon fodder for anyone that wants to hone skills.

I'm playing as PlasmaBomb (as several have guessed)

ATOT channel created, password moomoo