[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
I'm told the warping at range is supposed to be fixed in the next patch. As a workaround, you can try to use the auto-lockon (right click while pointed at someone), and it should lead them by roughly the right amount.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
I use it for premium membership, new tank slots, and driver experience.

In a pinch, you could also use it to transfer xp around if you needed it, or just up and trade it for credits.

Ammo is a big waste, as far as I can tell.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The best use of gold is premium. Converting gold to money is a HUGE waste. Dont' bother wasting it on tanks. Dont' bother wasting it converting xp to free xp.

Just save it for premium

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
The best use of gold is premium. Converting gold to money is a HUGE waste. Dont' bother wasting it on tanks. Dont' bother wasting it converting xp to free xp.

Just save it for premium

I should probably clarify: I have something like 45-50 days of premium left, and I still have 2000+ gold laying around.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Man I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get hit and knocked out in like every battle and I have to just sit and wait there.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the find OP.

Takes me back to my Tanarus days...

Edit: Will there be weather effects in the game? Looks like there may be night/day effects, at least.

Last edited:

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Man I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get hit and knocked out in like every battle and I have to just sit and wait there.

You know you can exit the battle and still get xp. :p That way you can go and play with your other tanks while the other game is still going on.

Just use auto aim... highlight the target, right click and your gun will follow the target. Fire when the accuracy indicator is green. Of course nothing is going to help a POS tank. I think the matchmaking system is screwed up once you go past T3. :hmm:

shot024b.jpg

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
You know you can exit the battle and still get xp. :p That way you can go and play with your other tanks while the other game is still going on.

Just use auto aim... highlight the target, right click and your gun will follow the target. Fire when the accuracy indicator is green. Of course nothing is going to help a POS tank. I think the matchmaking system is screwed up once you go past T3. :hmm:

Point 1: Did not know that. I like it!

Point 2: As soon as you hit T3, you're in with KV's and KV-3's. Scary!

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
Signed up for the beta, but was unable to run the installer. Tried to download several times but each time I clicked on the file it would lock up explorer. No other file seems to do this. Did some troubleshooting, but couldn't seem to figure it out. any ideas?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Signed up for the beta, but was unable to run the installer. Tried to download several times but each time I clicked on the file it would lock up explorer. No other file seems to do this. Did some troubleshooting, but couldn't seem to figure it out. any ideas?

You running any antivirus software? MS security center would not let me run it till i disabled it.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Signed up last night and just got a key, any links of to read about the game?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

You can either hit escape and go back to the garage (then pick another tank and start another battle) or you can right-click and follow your teammates through the end of the match.

The auto-tracking feature you get with a right-click on an enemy tank doesn't work very often unless you understand a few basic things. You WILL miss most of the time. If you want to get good, pay attention to distance and target's speed and learn to aim, yourself.

1) Lag. Sometimes a tank isn't where the game is displaying the tank. Thankfully, this is only for tanks that are at extreme ranges from you. Unless you're in a bigger tank, don't waste your time with long range shots.

2) Movement. If a tank even inches forward, your reticle will move in that direction, trying to lead them. Your reticle lead distance and speed is based on your tank crew's skill level. The higher the level, the more accurate the reticle will be even when your target tank is at full speed. Don't bother wasting shots at full speed tanks unless you're close enough to sneeze on them.

3) Crew, crew, crew. The higher level your crew is, the better your tank will perform. Don't waste money to upgrade them to 75% until you're in a tier 3 or tier 4 tank. tier 1 and 2 you'll breeze through so it's not worth wasting 20k on each crew member.

Just because you can't one-shot a tank doesn't mean there's nobody in the match who can't one-shot you. Play defensively.

Don't rush unless you're just trying to find their artillery or trying to get extra xp for being the first to spot all the enemy tanks. Stick with other tanks your size or find a bigger tank to hide behind and pick on their target with them.

Last edited:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
JesusHChrist is dying for your sins every match. Join up and take a cheap shot! :D

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Finally got it installed d/l was rather quick for the 1gb+ file. Install was a pita. Took like 5 minutes after clicking the installer for it to start installing, then a good 10 some minutes for the install to complete. Unless my nameis taken that's what I'll be showing when I can finally log in tonight.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
As for names...

I am on as ElcomeSoft... as in my blogs name :)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I pimped out my PZII and for the most part can do ok with it unless I run into some sharp shooter from across the map. My PZIII is stock and it gets rocked every match lol. Me and a PZIII were sitting in a village wiating and he blows up. Then I see the sillouette of a KV-3. I back up looking for cover while shooting my pathetic 37mm gun at it with all rounds bouncing off its front. One shot and I go up in smoke lol.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
KV3 can have a 122mm gun. You don't want to be anywhere near the business end. Get into your Tiger asap.

Good news is that there won't be a soft wipe!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
ok just started, wow I can see how this could be addicting. have 2 kills in 3 games. but man are these starter tanks POS. any method to follow in doing upgrades/research?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
What's the best way to get XP? I just got an Panzer III Auf A and it is 3.8k to the Panzer III. I get about 200-300 xp per battle. Any good way to up this?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
What's the best way to get XP? I just got an Panzer III Auf A and it is 3.8k to the Panzer III. I get about 200-300 xp per battle. Any good way to up this?

XP and money are based completely on how much damage you do to another tank. The more people you hit, the better, too. If you're faced with multiple targets and you have multiple friends to help, shoot at one tank until you do damage, then switch targets. Get a hit on as many different targets as possible without sacrificing your defensive position (or your advantage in numbers).

Your kill count means absolutely nothing.

Don't worry about kill stealing. Don't worry about not getting the last hit. Hit as many times as you can and your xp will improve.

Additionally, killing the entire team nets you more xp than capping. Sometimes by a lot.

The first few tanks are annoying, yes. I don't like the first 3 tiers. Tier IV starts to get interesting. If you don't like multi-shot barrels, pick the barrel that's just below top level for that tank. That's usually a single shot. With multi-shot barrels, all rounds of the barrage have to hit in order for that barrel to be an advantage over the single shot barrel that's one level below it. Remember, xp is based on damage and if you're going to miss with 4 out of those 5 rounds (multi), then it's not really doing you any good.

you can right-click on most tank modules to see details. Rounds per minute will give you an idea of whether it's single or multi shot.