[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
ok just started, wow I can see how this could be addicting. have 2 kills in 3 games. but man are these starter tanks POS. any method to follow in doing upgrades/research?

First, xp is based on how much damage you do and how many targets you hit.

Therefore, the fastest way for you to level up is a new gun upgrade.

However, some guns require specific turrets and some turrets require a suspension upgrade before they can be mounted.

You won't be in the lower tier tanks for very long (thank GOD), but Tier 4 and above you might consider an engine upgrade first, then suspension, then gun (or turret then gun).

Don't upgrade the turret unless you have to -as in, if your turret doesn't turn fast enough. The turret will give your tank slightly more hitpoints and armor, but isn't worth spending the research points on just for that.

Upgrade order also greatly depends on which tank you're in. The A-20 and Leopard tanks should get engine and track upgrades immediately. The A-20 is the fastest tank in the game, followed closely by the Leopard. The A-20 can make damn near 80KPH downhill on smooth ground.

In the KV/KV3, you should unlock the 107mm as fast as possible. The KV might need a suspension upgrade first, then turret, before the 107, but it's an awesome gun that you can carry on to your KV3 before unlocking the 122mm.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
ok just started, wow I can see how this could be addicting. have 2 kills in 3 games. but man are these starter tanks POS. any method to follow in doing upgrades/research?

Visit the Tech Tree and pick a branch which you fancy going down. You can change at any time but personally I prefer a goal to aim for.

First upgrades for any tank = Suspension and Engine. Manueverability is the key and the Suspension gives you turn rate, the Engine gives you speed and acceleration.

My next upgrade is usually the Turret. Check beforehand the stats of your current turret and the one you can research as sometimes the benefits are minimal (my last upgrade meant my turret turned 10 degrees faster per time interval which I think is a second :p)

As far as guns are concerned, personal preference. I tend to keep switching on my Light Tanks, settling for the 3 shot gun in my A-20 as I typically ended up getting behind tank destroyers or artillery and getting off a couple of hits before hauling ass out of there. As a Light Tank you pretty much want to break off the engagement when you seen a Medium or a Heavy tank. You can't penetrate reliably and they can one shot you with reasonable ease.

Crew... Once you've finished all of your research, you might as well tick he box and speed up the training of your crew. Crew skill is insanely important however... in the early playing days you won't really have enough credits to upgrade equipment and tanks and crew until you are late in your Tier 3 career or playing through Tier 4. So imo you can hold off buying crew upgrades until Tier 4.

On the note of crew, I took my stock T-34 (Tier 5 medium tank) and threw in a 100% Commander, 75% Loader and 75% driver. The difference between these and the basic 50% crew was night and day.

Finding my Medium tank difficult to adjust to at the moment after running my T-46 and A-20. Typically they'd wait 30 seconds to let the artillery take up position then rush behind enemy lines (mediums and heavies could be locked in engagement by the time I hit midway) the scooting around their artillery and either taking pot shots if I have time or running like buggery so I can live to do it all over again. Valuable scouting points and damaging points too.... but really, very little beats the feeling you get when you fly around a multitude of '1-shot will kill me' tanks and still get the chance to blow up a Hummel or other big artillery piece.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Fun game from what I've played and for a beta very much bug free (there is this one map that lags out for me every time and most other ppl it seems).

Quite enjoying my T-28 with the 85mm cannon ambushing heavies. I don't run into heavies first very often so I usually end up hit and running the forward units of a attack and waiting until the leading units are engaged then slip behind and (try) to take out their heavies since most all heavy tanks can't bring their gun to bear on me due to the T-28's speed. Its size though is a problem so that speed doesn't help when engaged by more then one tank. It's also good for probing attacks where if your smart you can run from a larger attack force or take out a lone whatever you meet.

In my matches I'm going up against Tigers and IS's a lot so this is how I stay in the game. If your coming across light to medium tanks mostly (or that is mostly what you fight), first get a new tank, second get the 57mmZiS-8 for the 24 r/m fire rate.

On a side note I have 49&#37; victory ratio and a 26% survival rate >_<.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Anyone experiencing input lag?

Cranked up to 1080p, Very High graphics I'm still getting steady, reasonable FPS, no Vsync yet I am experiencing a lag of what feels like a second between clicking my mouse and seeing a resultant shot fired.

A ping of 120-160ms and wireless mouse would not account for all of that.... and in fact I get the same amount of 'input lag' when pressing the turn button on my keyboard. A search of the WoT forums turned up a complete blank on the subject also.

Any ideas?

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
This is fun. I approve. I'll definitely download upon release. When is release anyway?

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
This is fun. I approve. I'll definitely download upon release. When is release anyway?

Autumn 2010... As far as I can gather from the Moderators on there, the US Tank Tech tree should be released in the next week or two and they will be releasing not long after they have confirmed the stability of the US servers... which can be a little flaky.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
The game is pretty fun outside of the fact that artillery is annoying.

Typical game for me goes:

-Fire one shot at the enemy
-3-4 artillery rounds come in and wipe me out

About every 6th or 7th game I survive a bit longer. In these games I think it is because those are low artillery games.

I try to hide in bushes and next to rocks but it doesn't seem to do anything.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
skilled up my TD to point i just need money to buy the marder, same with the sturmpanzer. decided to spend some time in the pz2 so i'd be moving ahead in all 3 fields....my god does the 2 suck. what also sucked was when i finally plopped that 50mm into my pzjg1 only to then find myself in matches with tier 7-10 vehicles.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Anyone experiencing input lag?

Cranked up to 1080p, Very High graphics I'm still getting steady, reasonable FPS, no Vsync yet I am experiencing a lag of what feels like a second between clicking my mouse and seeing a resultant shot fired.

A ping of 120-160ms and wireless mouse would not account for all of that.... and in fact I get the same amount of 'input lag' when pressing the turn button on my keyboard. A search of the WoT forums turned up a complete blank on the subject also.

Any ideas?

Server stress testing. Remember, it's still closed beta. It comes and goes, but the server is reset every night (~20 minutes) at 11pm Pacific.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

About every 6th or 7th game I survive a bit longer. In these games I think it is because those are low artillery games.

If you're playing Arty, understand that several arties on the other team will be running anti-arty immediately.

Look around your starting position. Find a place in a bush or next to a obstacle to hide against to fire your rounds. See the several locations? All of the arty on the other team already know that you'll probably go there. Don't.

If you like, do the same. If your arty can fire all the way to their spawn, find a quick unconventional place to hide, hit shift, and go watch the obvious spots on their spawn. Don't forget to scroll out. Watch for tracers, find their origin, fire just behind where the tracer starts (a little left of it, a little right of it, a little behind it, make an educated guess).

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
crammed some play time into the pz2 so i could finish research and sell the POS. of course now in a very junior pz3a i've got a massive 3 tier plus imbalance of those facing me. was fun to try and avoid that t34 while he just ran over me for the kill...almost as amazing as someone then plunked him out of the game with one shot.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Meh, this game will not install for me, so I've quit trying.

KT

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
you have to give it time to install, why i have no idea.

just had a match where is was pretty much all tier3s....and 1 kv-3. he stayed hidden till only a couple left on his team and then wiped the remainder of the other side out.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
you have to give it time to install, why i have no idea.

just had a match where is was pretty much all tier3s....and 1 kv-3. he stayed hidden till only a couple left on his team and then wiped the remainder of the other side out.

That's rare. He still won't get much xp because tier 3 tanks don't have a lot of HP so he won't be doing much damage.

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
If you're playing Arty, understand that several arties on the other team will be running anti-arty immediately.

Look around your starting position. Find a place in a bush or next to a obstacle to hide against to fire your rounds. See the several locations? All of the arty on the other team already know that you'll probably go there. Don't.

If you like, do the same. If your arty can fire all the way to their spawn, find a quick unconventional place to hide, hit shift, and go watch the obvious spots on their spawn. Don't forget to scroll out. Watch for tracers, find their origin, fire just behind where the tracer starts (a little left of it, a little right of it, a little behind it, make an educated guess).

Actually I meant artillery is annoying to play against. I haven't actually tried playing AS artillery yet.

I've mostly been going up the Medium Tank and TD line. I have a Hetzer and a Panzer III right now.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010

I guess this game doesn't need a realism mod. ;) Arty was responsible for a TON of infantry and tank casualties in WWII. The vast majority of infantry casualties, I know that for sure.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
He may not be getting many points, but sitting in a t3 going up against panzer 4s, kv(3)s, jagpanzers and such doesn't get you many either. Watching a direct hit nail the kv3 to see a whopping 1% of health change then he turret turns and wrecks the next vehicle in LOS. Maps need to be about twice their size to really have that wide a variety of tanks tiers to allow mobility to come into effect.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
There's nothing wrong with map size. If you think current maps restrict mobility advantages, you don't know what you're doing.

The number of kills is completely arbitrary and means nothing.

KV and KV3 do not have much armor.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
There's nothing wrong with map size. If you think current maps restrict mobility advantages, you don't know what you're doing.

The number of kills is completely arbitrary and means nothing.

KV and KV3 do not have much armor.

Whilst I agree in a way, a larger map size would be fantastic and really enhance certain abilities that Light and some Medium tanks possess... would raise more questions about Artillery defense and allow for heavy tanks to be complete outfoxed by Medium tanks, perhaps more wolf packing.

Certain maps do play to certain types of tanks strengths and weaknesses. City maps allow Tank Destroyers to be most effective as long as they are supported from being outflanked and Artillery is somewhat nullified to a degree. The mobile tanks from both sides there have difficulty.

Conversely, there are several maps with wide open spaces which when utilised to their full potential can be an absolute massacre for some tanks.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Don't upgrade the turret unless you have to -as in, if your turret doesn't turn fast enough. The turret will give your tank slightly more hitpoints and armor, but isn't worth spending the research points on just for that.

I don't know if you're talking about order or saving to get next tier sooner, but it seems to me you might as well fill out the tree completely. Most of the research points can only be spent on that tank only and you'll be able to fill out the tree before you can afford the next tank. True you can spend gold to convert research points, but it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
ugh this was painful.

wot.jpg

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
ugh this was painful.

I remember a match recently, it had gotten down to something like 2v2. We had a Jagdpanther and a Tiger 2 or something, they had maybe an IS and a Bison.

We kill their IS (or whatever it was), and then this shot comes arcing out of nowhere and nails the Jagdpanther. Dead.

While I'm sitting in total shock, our remaining tank says something along the lines of "Did their Bison just kill someone?" "Yup, he took out a Jagdpanther."

It's not impossible to do something in those kinds of matches. :p

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
That's rare. He still won't get much xp because tier 3 tanks don't have a lot of HP so he won't be doing much damage.

I don't get the damage thing at the end. I have one shotted 3 tanks with at AT-1 and got a damage of 4... surely it should be 3x(1XX)?