[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DarkForceRising

Apr 16, 2005
The T26 isn't bad. It's ridiculously maneuverable, fast enough, and packs enough of a punch to take on KV/KV3. You'd probably be much happier going the T34 route. The T34/T34-85/T44 are all faster and more armored than the T26. They're all smaller, too.

One of my biggest gripes is that, for what it offers, it has a freakin huge ass end that's hard to hide.

The T-26? I don't recall it being that big or powerful. The T-28, however is the size of a bus and has a cannon that can hurt the KV a good bit. Still, I much prefered the T34 to the T-28, though I haven't driven the T-34 recently.

Just a notice for those who've signed up:

There's a big ol' patch coming (supposed to be 9/6? 9/7? something like that but I can't find their forum thread about it) that will add more maps and the American tanks to the list. When that happens, they're going to "soft wipe" (or whatever the hell) the servers. You'll somehow keep xp, but I'm not sure how they're going to go about it.
They're soft-wiping AGAIN? Dang, they just had one around 9/4. The way the soft-wipe worked last time is that all XP, cash, and gold was refunded to you. So if you wanted, you could rebuy everything that you had previously. However, you could also not research everything on all tanks and start jumping up the chains. For instance, I had gotten a T-34-85 before the wipe, fully researching everything. After the wipe, I just got the upgrades I needed for getting the next tank in line, and was able to purchase a T-44 right off the bat. So immediately after the wipe, there were IS-7/4s and ultra-highend German tanks all over the place (6-8 in a fight), where before they were ultra-rare.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
They're soft-wiping AGAIN? Dang, they just had one around 9/4. The way the soft-wipe worked last time is that all XP, cash, and gold was refunded to you. So if you wanted, you could rebuy everything that you had previously. However, you could also not research everything on all tanks and start jumping up the chains. For instance, I had gotten a T-34-85 before the wipe, fully researching everything. After the wipe, I just got the upgrades I needed for getting the next tank in line, and was able to purchase a T-44 right off the bat. So immediately after the wipe, there were IS-7/4s and ultra-highend German tanks all over the place (6-8 in a fight), where before they were ultra-rare.

I don't recall a soft wipe on 9/4. I still have the same tanks I had since I started. Odd.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
Oh, and those of you who are considering purchasing the Churchill and other gold-only tanks, forget it. They're fixed build so you can't upgrade them and they're all absolute shit.

Will they be unlocked once the game is released? I'm currently being raped in my POS Valentine lol

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Yes and it towed a huge tank. Another interesting offshoot of the the Churchill is the AVRE with a 290mm mortar. :D

Indeed... the AVRE was in CoH :D

Re-read some information on the British tanks of WWII and I am most disappointed. I remembered them as crap early on to good/equal to the German forces in the end. Looks like that was just a childhood fantasy :D

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
So after playing the game I can say these things-

I hope it follows the Turbine/DDO microtransaction formula.

I would definately play this passively without paying (I might be inclined to drop 5-10 bucks here and their like League of Legends). Definately not worth a subscription at this point.

It's got potential, and thus far I do like it. They should run it Like Savage. Have highest ranking person play commander and allocate tank points. (I.E Heavy tank cost 25 points your commander skill allows him to place 550 tank points) and have them place tanks at spawn.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

Re-read some information on the British tanks of WWII and I am most disappointed. I remembered them as crap early on to good/equal to the German forces in the end. Looks like that was just a childhood fantasy :D

I used to play Battlefronts Combat Mission. In a pbem game I got an AVRE for shats and giggles. I tried to kill a kublewagon with it. But the round was so slow it never hit lol. The game modeled everything and you could watch the round and its huge slow arc make its way across the map. Hilarious. But when I used it to take out MG\at-gun positions and entire buildings it was pretty funny.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Tried downloading multiple times last night and it kept hanging on the last 1%. Not sure what that was about; I'll give it another shot tonight. :hmm:

KT

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
So after playing the game I can say these things-

I hope it follows the Turbine/DDO microtransaction formula.

I would definately play this passively without paying (I might be inclined to drop 5-10 bucks here and their like League of Legends). Definately not worth a subscription at this point.

It's got potential, and thus far I do like it. They should run it Like Savage. Have highest ranking person play commander and allocate tank points. (I.E Heavy tank cost 25 points your commander skill allows him to place 550 tank points) and have them place tanks at spawn.

From the way gold is set out, I think it will be F2P with micro transactions.

As far as your points idea goes, I strongly dislike it and it would ruin any balance that the game could have.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Will they be unlocked once the game is released? I'm currently being raped in my POS Valentine lol

The point is, don't waste gold on those stupid tanks. ALL of the tanks you buy with gold points are stupid, worthless, non-upgradable.

Yes, your Valentine sucks huge hairy balls.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006

This is a video game thread, duders.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
This is a video game thread, duders.

In which we mentioned Company of Heroes.

Also discussing the tanks of WWII which could be/should be implemented in WoT is on topic :)

That being said, I am having hell in my T-46. Every match has multiple medium tanks and sometimes even Heavies so trying to avoid them like the plague is not a fun thing.

I've tried the slow reload, slow aim, high damage, high penetration cannon and seemingly favouring that right now over the rapid fire cannons. Fully upgraded and working on training my crew whilst accruing credits at an alarmingly varied rate of miles per hour.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Thanks to the OP for posting this. I haven't heard of this game. I went on youtube and watched a bunch of game videos and it sure looks like fun. I'm going to look into this game a bit closer and see what its about. Thanks again for posting this thread.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Played it lastnight. I think the game has potential but the beta is really laggy. Hard sometimes to shoot at people when they skip. And I am not good at manuevering my PZII. Some games are hit or miss. I will get smoked right away or manage to do really well. There is no in between for me lol

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Lag-wise I get between 120 and 160ms. Not really fantastic and in a typical FPS I'd still be rocking all over the world.

What irks me is when two tanks sit a long distance apart, both not moving and you try to pump some shells into the second tank while it's not looking... and all 5 miss.

Performance wise it's sluggish. I am playing windowed for now and there does not seem to be support for 1280x720 :( It is not multi-core optimised so it will only be using one core. I actually found that specifying the WoT directory as a specific area for Windows Indexing Service to index has helped with loading times and performance issues to a minor but albeit noticable degree.

Not sure what to tech up to next or whether to change vehicle types.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Full screen mode you get better fps, just how it works with some games.

I get 60-70ms ping in game. FPS about 45-50fps on very high settings on 460GTX overlocked like whoah.

The problem is bad with other people lagging, skipping around and such.