[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
T32 update. I used the 500 gold from the massively promo thing to convert some xp to unlock the tracks and turret, so I'm fully upgraded now but my crew is still just at 82%. Also moved vents and rammer over from my T29.

With the 105 and turret, the T32 isn't terrible. The 105 is lacking in penetration compared to the guns on most other Tier 8 heavies, but at least has comparable damage. Like the T29 it's best when you can hide your hull. The front hull armor really isn't that bad on paper (basically comparable to IS-3, Lowe and 4502A) but it seems like it never bounces shots. I'll reserve final judgement until my crew is improved but it's feeling like an "ok but not great" tank. It's literally a T29 with a few more hitpoints - but being forced to always fight higher tiers means you tend to feel weaker than the T29.

Last edited:

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
The T32's front hull is MUCH tougher than the T29. The T32 is based off the Pershing's chassis. It also sits much lower to the ground making the frontal plate harder to hit and giving better hull down opportunities. Against lower tiered guns, the T32 hull is going to bounce and no-pen a lot more often than a T29 (or T34 and T30, for that matter). This means there are tanks out there you simply do not need to be afraid of.

All in all, this makes the T32 a great all around tank with no great weaknesses. It can fight from a distance and, when doing so hull down, is practically invulnerable. It has good speed and handling so it can close distances when needed. And when up close, it has such a low profile it can brawl with any tier 8 or tier 9. This is in start contrast from the other American heavies which are very very vulnerable up close and MUST fight at a distance.

I would rate the T32 as slightly better than the Tiger 2 and much better than the IS-3 or 4502A at tier 8. The Tiger 2 has overall better armor and a better gun, but does not have the mobility. The IS-3 has the best gun on paper, but the aiming time is so long that it makes it difficult to rapidly aim shots, thus it is overall less accurate. It has comparable maneuverability to the T32, but it has the worst armor overall. The turret can bounce, but can also be penetrated. At close range, the T32 will dominate an IS-3 without taking much damage. The 4502A is just a strange tier 8 tank all around. It is the KV-1S of the tier 8 heavies. Very fast and maneuverable, but a weaker gun and armor than any other tank at its level. One on one, the 4502A is not a challenge for the T32. A good 4502A driver will not be looking for fair match-ups, though. They are going to look to get the drop on any tank first and use their speed and agility to do damage quickly. Fortunately, the 4502A is a rare tank and the drivers are usually not adept at taking advantage of the tank's strengths. Using the 4502A like any other tier 8 heavy is an instant loss. It's only really a danger if you're up against a pro.

Dec 27, 2004
www.store.massiverc.com
I have my T32 and I'm hating it right now, mostly because I'm put in matches with alot of Tier 9 and 10 tanks and I haven't ground to the 2nd turret yet. Mediums at that tier have no problem penetrating my better armor.

I still enjoy my T-29 much more (earned me 2 Billot's medals). We'll see if I change my mind once I get the 2nd turret.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i'm about 130k away from the t54 now LOL
but i'm having a blast in the t44 fully upgraded, nothing beats an arty run, could care less when i die as long as i take out 1+ arties per round

i may just keep the t44 until i have the crew maxed out with all 3 sub skills then get the t54

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
I would rate the T32 as slightly better than the Tiger 2 and much better than the IS-3 or 4502A at tier 8.

The T32 is growing on me as my crew improves, but you can't seriously be claiming with a straight face that it's the best Tier 8 heavy. It has the weakest gun in the tier (a hair less penetration than the 4502A's 105, and a slower ROF). The IS3 may have worse armor on paper, but it bounces more shots - the IS3 only has a couple of fairly small weak spots on the glacis.... for the T32 the whole damn glacis is a "weak spot". In mobility it only beats the KT and Lowe, as it's basically comparable to the IS3 and 4502A.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
The T32 is growing on me as my crew improves, but you can't seriously be claiming with a straight face that it's the best Tier 8 heavy. It has the weakest gun in the tier (a hair less penetration than the 4502A's 105, and a slower ROF). The IS3 may have worse armor on paper, but it bounces more shots - the IS3 only has a couple of fairly small weak spots on the glacis.... for the T32 the whole damn glacis is a "weak spot". The mobility of the T32 is nice, but in most ci

I would say its joint best with the KT. KT destroys T32 at range, but when facehugging the T32 can give even tier 9's a run for their money and will kill a KT unless its lucky. T32 is a situational tank.

KT = T32 > IS3 > VK4502A IMO

I just had a game on erlenberg where i finished beating up a stock IS3, then this KT charges down the hill at me taking half my health, after that he couldn't hurt me at all and was destroyed soon after as i kept hitting the commanders cupola and he couldn't reverse away from me fast enough :D

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
i'm about 130k away from the t54 now LOL
but i'm having a blast in the t44 fully upgraded, nothing beats an arty run, could care less when i die as long as i take out 1+ arties per round

i may just keep the t44 until i have the crew maxed out with all 3 sub skills then get the t54

Does it make credits doing that?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The Marder II is one of those tanks you should never get rid of because it is truly a monster. If you get 100% crew, camo, binocs, optics and the 76mm on that baby you can pick a bush in the middle of the map and kill everything you see. When you start getting games where you get both Scout and Top Gun, you'll understand.

I finally got elite status and with only a 66% crew this is becoming silly. 3 games last night I was defending our base. Our guys were getting smoked. They come at the base and I take them out one by one. I got 5-5-6 kills in those 3 games and went 2-1. I cant imagine what it will be like with all of the above!

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
I would say its joint best with the KT. KT destroys T32 at range, but when facehugging the T32 can give even tier 9's a run for their money and will kill a KT unless its lucky. T32 is a situational tank.

KT = T32 > IS3 > VK4502A IMO

I just had a game on erlenberg where i finished beating up a stock IS3, then this KT charges down the hill at me taking half my health, after that he couldn't hurt me at all and was destroyed soon after as i kept hitting the commanders cupola and he couldn't reverse away from me fast enough :D

I think that's pretty close. The KT is going to be OK in all situations and all ranges. The T32 will dominate when up close or hull down but be a bit shaky at other times. A good T32 driver uses his mobility to make sure that doesn't happen. I think the T32 can reward high skill play more than a KT can, and that is all from its mobility. If you're in a KT on the wrong side of the map when the other side folds you have few options. If you're in a T32, you have a chance of disengaging and reinforcing. IS-3 has this ability too, and it is the bread-and-butter role for the 4502A.

If you think of how many times you've lost games because the enemy's push on the other side was 15 seconds faster than your push on your side, you can see that this can make or break a game. But this is also one of those newb-versus-pro aspects of the game. Rookie teams will never disengage and reinforce when trouble appears. They will just push harder in the direction they've already committed. High level play will have mobile tanks peel off the strong side to go to the weak side in an emergency.

I'm getting off topic, but there's a point to be made here. Most pub games are decided in the first 30 seconds when everyone chooses which direction to head out of spawn. From that point on, 80% or more of public players WILL NOT change from their initial plan. If you do not want to be in the 80% and you want to win more often than not, you need mobility. I will win more often in my T32 because I can be where I'm needed more often than I can in my KT.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Not if he's dying each round.

actually i still make money doing that due to

spotting
killing artillery
hitting other tanks while i race towards arty

i had an awesome game on komarin, i spawned on the south and from the start i raced full speed thru their flag (counter clockwise), spotting all 5 defenders for arty to zero in on,
made it to their spawn and was able to take out the 2 arties hiding in forest, then made it back to my flag before i was finally destroyed, the whole time up until i made it to forest, i only got hit once i think, best run ever for me LOL

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I have my T32 and I'm hating it right now, mostly because I'm put in matches with alot of Tier 9 and 10 tanks and I haven't ground to the 2nd turret yet. Mediums at that tier have no problem penetrating my better armor.

I still enjoy my T-29 much more (earned me 2 Billot's medals). We'll see if I change my mind once I get the 2nd turret.

You don't even need to be at that tier. My M4 and two 3001Ps killed a T32 last night and all three of us survived with at least 50% health

haha the best is when you're in a kv or kv-3 and they yell at you for not returning to base to defend. i'm not in a t54 idiots, i can't make it back in time by a longshot

Heh - I am still suprised at how often I see that

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
My little POS 85B did a great scouting last night (actually I had a good night altogether, 7 different tanks 6 daily wins on first attempt). Was on steppes and hug around in the valley, skated past a dueling pair of something bigs and took out both enemy arty. Pinned down and killed a T1 and started to duel an E8 at extremely large range and was JUST about to die when a friendly arty took him out. Moved on to the capture circle and helped cap.

My first game with the S51 last night was also interesting. On mines North I helped stop the initial rush through town by wounding an IS4 and Tiger II. I one shot a poor KV and SU-152. Then the game slowed down. A pesky Jag Tiger was taking out our center and while he eventually was killed, it became endgame. Our significant lead became 2 damaged tanks and 2 S51's vs 1 VERY damaged medium a full Ferdi and 3 arty. I advanced down the lighthouse path and destroyed the Ferdi when it started a duel with one of our tanks. Our tank promptly exploded by arty. Our other S51 suddenly announced it was out of ammo (I was down to 2 HE and 1 AP round) and would scout around. He found the medium which our last remaining tank killed. I advanced into the enemy base and found a poor priest which the tank shoots from downrange. Radar picks up the S14 sitting right adjacent to me in the next parking space. He advanced towards me and our tank's shot goes wide. He rushes his shot and does not destroy me while I line up and obliterate him. I begin to cap. Finally our S51 uncovered a Hummel that was trying for our base. A scene from Benny Hill starts, the S51 went into full run away mode with the angry Hummel charging and firing. I was trying to get a shot on the Hummel when our tank got him. If the tank did not shoot the Hummel then I would have had Invader with my S51!!

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I played for a little while last night. Ran my T-29, KT, and T-20 for a while before going to bed. My WoT play time hasn't been a lot lately. Been playing other games as interests dictate. Four day weekend coming up so I'll probably hit it hard then.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
My opinion of the T32 went up quite a bit tonight.

Was platooned with another guy from AT (NewSmithfield in game, not sure who that is on the forums), we were on El Halluf going up the hill at the north end of the map. E-76 and IS-3 suddenly come over the top of the hill. I snap a shot at the lower glacis of the E-75 which of course bounces, and they both go for NS in his KV-13 and quickly take him out. The E-75 then pulls in behind one of the rocks at the bottom of the valley and I figure... hey, what do I have to lose at this point? So I charge the E-75 and pin him against the rock so we're side-by-side but facing opposite directions. Meanwhile, the IS-3 runs behind me, and pins me in. So at this point, I can put my gun right into the side of the E-75's engine bay... and neither of them can figure out how to damage me. :D We sit there like that for about 90 seconds, until I finally kill the E-75, and about the same time someone on my team takes out the IS-3. The IS-3 did manage to set me on fire just before it died, so I left the fight with about 40% health. If he hadn't done that, I would've had 60-75% left. :D

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea the t32's are tough boogers, i try to engage at a distance in my e50. i'm about 100k away from the t54 now.

i must have the worst luck everytime i bring out my 704, by the time i get into a position to defend, 1/3 of my team is always dead, i still manage to get 2-3 kills when they rush our spawn but man it's tough getting my daily double.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Played a few games last night, only memorable one was in my KT on El Haluf. I started by going to the corner where all heavies go but realized absolutely NOBODY was guarding the switchback. So I started driving over there and got pinged for a few hundred damage on the way. And thus I sat and waited, poking my tank around the corner ever so often and using my binocs to spot enemies. Then like a scene from Fellowship of the Ring, I was a redeemed Boromir and stood like a sentinel against all comers. T32, T43, Panther II, SU-152... whatever showed its side to me got plastered by my gun. I was tracked, set on fire (yay for extinguisher), lost my driver, tracked, engine knocked out, tracked, and when they got a shot off on my gun I used my repair kit... knowing that this sucker was not going to move anyway. I began climbing the enemy hill when the corner was still engaged. I was STILL climbing the hill when the last enemy was knocked out. I ended the game with confederate, 14 HP but somehow did not get steel wall (that went to a friendly Lowe who must have been shot by a hundred POS guns or something).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
were u derp'ng or 107'ng ?
i finally broke down and bought the derp for my kv, it's pretty fun
am i supposed to use HE only? i took a 100% is-4 down to 64% with 1 shot LOL

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

With the 152 you should use HE only. The AP and HE rounds have almost identical penetration factor but the AP will bounce. You probably got lucky with the shot on the IS4 and hit somewhere with weak armor (top or back?), normally it'll do about 20% damage.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
cool i'll use HE only then
for the is-4 i always aim for side/back or if he's hull down, i aim for drivers hatch
he was pretty close so im sure i hit the hatch as that's what i aim'd for

he was probably 2 tank lengths away from me when i fired

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Finally got serious and bought 6000 gold last night. Going to use my premium account status to push down the German TD line, German Arty line, and the Soviet Heavy tank line.

I decided to go down the BT-7\T-34 line instead of T-38\KV towards the IS tanks.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999

If you mean me, I had my Tiger II (King Tiger) not KV. I finally sold my KV. I was running the 107 for a long time but got VERY frustrated when it would not do dick to big things. So I changed back to the derp so I could at least hurt the big things before getting one shotted.