[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
altho the developers say it's fine, i consider it kinda cheating :) but hey more power to you

i already know where to hit tanks from just grinding/playing

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
altho the developers say it's fine, i consider it kinda cheating :) but hey more power to you

i already know where to hit tanks from just grinding/playing

A few are obvious... driver port, front/rear gear in the tread. A few are not obvious. But to me that is the fun of finding them through trial and error.

The KV3 sucking is probably because I am grinding out the IS w/o upgrading the gun as the gun is half the experience needed for the IS. I like the 3001 is fun for me as I love scouting and engaging other scouts. I had a great game on El Haluf where I ran down, tracked an enemy scout, made it to the base of the enemy hill, spotted for our team and then the rest of their mediums came down to kill me. I tracked 2 of them on the first shots and was lining up on the third when I was killed through concentrated firepower. Cost their team a hell of a lot to kill me.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
at least for me, on the IS, don't bother with either 122mm, just grind thru it with the 100 D-10T.

by all means research and unlock the 122 D-25T as you will need it for the IS-3 until you get the BL-9.

the major factor for me was that the 100mm has more ROF, has the same PEN, but does less damage. but waiting for the 122 to reload, while you can get another shot off in the 100 more than makes up for it. especially when matched up against lower tiers, the extra shots you can take get you out of a lot of situations. my grind was made way easier with the 100mm, ammo is cheap, you don't care taking long shots that may or may not hit the target, the 122 ammo is over 1k each.

You can learn to start ONLY firing when 99.9% sure you will hit the target once you get the IS-3.

here's a good site i found for info when not logged into the game

http://www.wotdb.info/

i didn't mind the IS grind once i switched back to the 100mm gun, i was hating life using either 122mm.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
It was the opposite for me. Nobody gets scared when they get hit by the 100mm, and in this game alpha damage is SO important its not even funny. The 122mm will let you scare off all the tier 5s and 6s, and make tier 7s and 8s think twice before approaching you. The IS is fast enough to flank and knife fight as well, and a 122mm right in the engine block or fuel tank will 99% of the time break the module and set the guy on fire.

Fun fact: the 122mm is enough to penetrate even the lowe and kv5 frontally provided you know where to shoot. I took down a lowe by myself once from 100%. 6 shots all penetrated perfectly.

With a premium account, if you're not shooting wildly you will still be making 10-20k a match with the 122mm. I never made even close to that much with the 100mm (just can't do enough damage...)

Also the skin is worth looking at once. Most of the "red" spots are already confirmed hit points for me anyways, but it was interesting to see where the ammo is located.

Not that you can hit those tiny ass spots from more than 100m away anyways.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
i guess it depends on playstyle, i like to be in the thick of battle constantly attacking.
i didn't have premium and i think i was making between 5-10k a battle.

i think if you know exactly where to place your shots, then the 122 will be good. i'm used to the bl9 of the is-3 now.

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
I experimented with the 100mm on the IS and IS-3, just to see how much money I'd save and whether it would let me stay exposed while fighting mediums, and therefore not worry about accuracy loss while moving back and forward for peekaboo tactics.

Overall, I felt the 122mm was the far superior choice do to its high alpha, which translates directly to versatility. Higher tiers are more prone to getting in your face if they know you have a 100mm. They think you're undergeared. However, they always get a little more cautious once they see the muzzle brake of a 122mm

Good news, guys - a bunch of tanks will be earning double xp on Wednesday (check the news), so it's an EXCELLENT time to grind those high-level tanks you've been feeling worn out on. Personally, I'm going to finish the last 60k and purchase a Panther II, so I can rest easy on getting an E-50 when the patch hits. Yay! :)

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
hmm so does that mean if you have premium you will get 250% credits + xp ?
if so i'll need to buy and grind thru the KV-1s tomorrow as i want the kv-13 and ultimately my T54 :D

might need to call out sick tomorrow LOL

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I experimented with the 100mm on the IS and IS-3, just to see how much money I'd save and whether it would let me stay exposed while fighting mediums, and therefore not worry about accuracy loss while moving back and forward for peekaboo tactics.

Overall, I felt the 122mm was the far superior choice do to its high alpha, which translates directly to versatility. Higher tiers are more prone to getting in your face if they know you have a 100mm. They think you're undergeared. However, they always get a little more cautious once they see the muzzle brake of a 122mm

Good news, guys - a bunch of tanks will be earning double xp on Wednesday (check the news), so it's an EXCELLENT time to grind those high-level tanks you've been feeling worn out on. Personally, I'm going to finish the last 60k and purchase a Panther II, so I can rest easy on getting an E-50 when the patch hits. Yay! :)

Where is the post about the extra credits? I can't find it on their website anywhere. Checked forums too. Nothing. I wish they'd do better at posting info like this. Its always a job trying to dig up info.

Edit2: Okay, had to use Google to find it. LOL Anway, You only get the double xp when you fight on the Prokhorovka map. Which sucks. They should make it for all maps. The Bastages will probably set the game to limit how many times that map will pop up. LOL Not worth taking a day off from work just for that.

http://overlord-wot.blogspot.com/2011/07/battle-of-prokhorovka-special.html

Last edited:

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
That is a weird list of tanks for half price. Considering I've already got half of them and the others are in trees I haven't been working.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
The tanks were at the Battle of Prokhorovka or another part of the Kursk area. Makes sense to me.

Edit: The M3 Lee was there as well. Woo Lend-Lease :p

Last edited:

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
KV3 is awesome :thumbsup: Just know its limits and you will be fine, it can be a real beast in some games.

I generally like it. I do end up in matches where I am the bottom tank or so and those suck but overall I am a fan

That is a weird list of tanks for half price. Considering I've already got half of them and the others are in trees I haven't been working.

Yeah - I have the T34 and KV. There are some I would like to get but am no where close to getting them. I just got my Jagdpanther

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
Its also for certain tanks and since I'm grinding the 3002DB I get nothing for it since its not on the list. RIP OFF!

They do a pretty good job of adding perks discounts. Eventually it will come around to hit a tank you are working on :p

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
They do a pretty good job of adding perks discounts. Eventually it will come around to hit a tank you are working on :p

Yeah, but I need the double xp now so i can get to the panther. LOL
What I'd really love to see is a double xp weekend for all tanks.

Merad

Platinum Member
May 31, 2010
The number of Lowes out there is getting slightly ridiculous:

shot_003.jpg

Liet

Golden Member
Jun 9, 2001
Yeah, I have NO worries about credits anymore! lol

I've found that despite the Tiger being inferior to the IS and IS-3, it's weirdly a LOT of fun to drive aggressively and scare the hell out of mediums with. Had to spend free XP for the turret so I could mount the long 88, because the short 88 does NOT cut it.

Aw damn, I thought you got double XP for using one of the listed tanks, but it's only additional credits. Well, if you have a Lowe, this event is meaningless for you because you already have a moneymaker. Great event for those without one, though.

Also, it doesn't say you have to be on the Prokorovhka (sp) map, just in one of the tanks that participated.

"The Battle of Prokhorovka (12 July 1943) was fought on the Eastern Front during the Second World War as part of the Battle of Kursk in the Soviet Union. Principally, the German Wehrmacht's Fourth Panzer Army clashed with the Soviet Red Army's 5th Guards Tank Army. It is one of the largest tank battles in military history."

In commemoration of the heroic deeds of warriors during epic battles in Prokhorovka, World of Tanks development team has prepared special gifts for its honoured players: starting from 11:30 UTC July 13 and till 11:30 UTC July 14 each WoT tank, which acted in the Battle of Prokhorovka, will get doubled credits earned per battle. Besides that, the cost of these tanks will be reduced by half.

The following tanks commited in the heroic battle and will give their owners more credits:

SU-76, Т-34, KV, KV-1S, SU-152, Churchill, PzKpfw III, PzKpfw IV, PzKpfw VI Tiger, PzKpfw V Panther, StuG III, M3 Lee, Ferdinand.

Do not miss the chance to get more on 13th of July!

Stay tuned for more World of Tanks and see you on the battlefields!