[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 490 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Matchmaker gods must have me on their hit list. Jump into a 3, sitting in a match with 3-5s. Get in a 4, and its 4-6. Hit the 5, I'm doing 5-8.

How the hell do I become the person always at the bottom of the scale.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
that's normally how it goes. maybe 1/10 games you'll be highest in tier.
it's to make you waste gold coverting free xp to unlock all the modules so you can
at least damage those tanks 2 tiers above you :)

JumBie

Golden Member
May 2, 2011
Haven't been able to keep a positive win ratio lately. Not sure what it is, seems every match I join my chances of winning are far below 50%. Just not having fun losing game after game.

JoJoman88

Jul 27, 2006
E25 isn't really what you'd compare to a T25 AT. The T25AT competes more with the JPanther. Even the Su-122-44 would be a better comparison.

Just wait until he gets the top gun on it. The T 25 AT is just like the JPanther with the top gun, can deal out some damage but not take any. Still way better than a SU 101. The worst tier 7 TD in the game. Liked the T 25 AT a lot more than the T25/2 but then the T 28 proto is better than a T 28. So no matter which way you go, you are going to have to grind a unfavorable TD.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Just wait until he gets the top gun on it. The T 25 AT is just like the JPanther with the top gun, can deal out some damage but not take any. Still way better than a SU 101. The worst tier 7 TD in the game. Liked the T 25 AT a lot more than the T25/2 but then the T 28 proto is better than a T 28. So no matter which way you go, you are going to have to grind a unfavorable TD.

I still like it a lot better than the jackson. Jackson has zero pen on any tier 6+ targets and can not take a hit.

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Convince me to keep the KV-2 over the T-150. I have about 10 games in it and i'm not impressed. Sure it can 1 shot stuff when it is top tier, but when it has to face something with armor, i'm only getting 200-250 damage. Unless i can find a place to go hull down, i have to sit there waiting for it to aim else the shots will go into space or into the dirt. Then pray they they are morons and wont charge me while I sit and wait for grandpa to reload. I can get off 2 shots with the 150, more armor, no barn on top of the tank, more power and less weight.

Am i missing something about the kv-2?

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
that's normally how it goes. maybe 1/10 games you'll be highest in tier.
it's to make you waste gold coverting free xp to unlock all the modules so you can
at least damage those tanks 2 tiers above you :)

What a bunch of horse crap. All those tier 5 players in that same tier 5 game... all those 6s in that very tier 6 game, etc. Assuming an even distribution between tiers for all 30 players of a battle, 1/3 are top tier, 1/3 middle, and 1/3 low. How can it possibly be true that a single person gets top tier 1/10 of the time?

Regarding paying gold to convert, sorry, that too is a joke right? Horde your damn free exp instead of burning it to unlock next tiers quicker and you will have enough to get your tank to not be stock. Some tanks are very good stock btw, most TDs are very effective stock. Most light tanks don't even need to shoot to help their team the most.

Please tell me you were being sarcastic.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Convince me to keep the KV-2 over the T-150. I have about 10 games in it and i'm not impressed. Sure it can 1 shot stuff when it is top tier, but when it has to face something with armor, i'm only getting 200-250 damage. Unless i can find a place to go hull down, i have to sit there waiting for it to aim else the shots will go into space or into the dirt. Then pray they they are morons and wont charge me while I sit and wait for grandpa to reload. I can get off 2 shots with the 150, more armor, no barn on top of the tank, more power and less weight.

Am i missing something about the kv-2?

The KV-2 took a massive hit with the dispersion change last patch. You now have to aim for a long time to take long shots (before, I could snipe just fine with the derp). The T150 has been subpar compared to the old 1s/new kv-85 for a long time. If you don't feel the 152, get the KV-85 and mount the 100mm with its stupid OP ROF.

The KV-2 remains my most enjoyable tank (not best tank, not most carry tank, just fun). The ability to hit tigers/frenchies/most M4s/open topped tds/etc for max damage is just lol. I make the aimtime/rof work for me with the poke/trade. The mantlet is still pretty strong and can bounce a lot of stuff, if the enemy decides to hit my angled hull it can bounce/absorb in treads. I might only deal 200-400 damage a shot, but it is automatic. No 0% crits, no bounces, just take some damage every 20 seconds please.

It is the same mentality I have in the 183. The max roll is icing on the cake, the auto 600 HP every 24 seconds is reality. The enemy has to aim shots, hit non mantlet, hope for pens, etc. Me... I just take what I can get and screw up his crew/modules.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
7 year old loves the game, but he charges in and sometimes dies quickly. I checked him out yesterday and he had 3 kills. After the match, I took over and found out where 3 people had messaged him and were really rude about his play style and the fact he had to abandon a game because his mom called him to do something(they don't know his age)Tons of profanity, threats, and other really crude language. There was also one friend request which I cancelled and turned off that feature as well. I can't remember offhand, but is there a way to stop people from messaging him? I've supressed chat and the language filter is on, is that enough? He didn't know about the messages popping up outside of the actual game play and I closed them all out.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The KV-2 took a massive hit with the dispersion change last patch. You now have to aim for a long time to take long shots (before, I could snipe just fine with the derp). The T150 has been subpar compared to the old 1s/new kv-85 for a long time. If you don't feel the 152, get the KV-85 and mount the 100mm with its stupid OP ROF.

The KV-2 remains my most enjoyable tank (not best tank, not most carry tank, just fun). The ability to hit tigers/frenchies/most M4s/open topped tds/etc for max damage is just lol. I make the aimtime/rof work for me with the poke/trade. The mantlet is still pretty strong and can bounce a lot of stuff, if the enemy decides to hit my angled hull it can bounce/absorb in treads. I might only deal 200-400 damage a shot, but it is automatic. No 0% crits, no bounces, just take some damage every 20 seconds please.

It is the same mentality I have in the 183. The max roll is icing on the cake, the auto 600 HP every 24 seconds is reality. The enemy has to aim shots, hit non mantlet, hope for pens, etc. Me... I just take what I can get and screw up his crew/modules.

KV1/1S/2 are easy kill if you expose the front on accident. I take them out with my little Hetzer. Just aim for the view port, easy pen every shot. The change to the derp gun was needed, it should not be able to be used for sniping. It should be short to mid range only.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
7 year old loves the game, but he charges in and sometimes dies quickly. I checked him out yesterday and he had 3 kills. After the match, I took over and found out where 3 people had messaged him and were really rude about his play style and the fact he had to abandon a game because his mom called him to do something(they don't know his age)Tons of profanity, threats, and other really crude language. There was also one friend request which I cancelled and turned off that feature as well. I can't remember offhand, but is there a way to stop people from messaging him? I've supressed chat and the language filter is on, is that enough? He didn't know about the messages popping up outside of the actual game play and I closed them all out.
I do believe their is an age requirement to play the game. I have nothing to offer than to say that perhaps a kid of 7 should not be playing against adults online?

Further, since this is a team game, you should expect teammates to get massively angry at ANY player actively hurting their team by dying quickly or going AFK. I understand life happens and you might have to go AFK, but I don't care about the player's age... if it is a habit that he gets called away from the computer, then probably committing (and that is what it is) to a 15 minute game is a bad idea.

Let me counter with this, should I give the player a pass because he is 7? Because she is a girl? Because he was in the military? Because he has a potato for a computer? Because he has no hands and uses his face to bash the controls on the keyboard (I think I have seen a few of those)?

My answer is no. Nobody gets a pass. If you progressed out of tier 2-3, then you are out of the pond and entered the scary ocean. You want to get a pass from me, play tier 1-2, I expect everyone there to be derping around and pew pew pewing.

KV1/1S/2 are easy kill if you expose the front on accident. I take them out with my little Hetzer. Just aim for the view port, easy pen every shot. The change to the derp gun was needed, it should not be able to be used for sniping. It should be short to mid range only.

The 75 does ~100 damage a shot. If it pens. The 105 will do a pathetic amount to the KV1/1s/2. Return fire will end the hetzer quickly. If you kill my KV-2 with a hetzer, it is because I positioned myself badly and didn't have a way to retreat and reload, or you finished me off. If you are winning against a KV-1 in a 1 on 1, I am impressed and unbelieving (or you are playing against Slag's kid).

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Haven't been able to keep a positive win ratio lately. Not sure what it is, seems every match I join my chances of winning are far below 50%. Just not having fun losing game after game.

lately for me my teams are ignoring entire flanks, yet still losing their side of the fight when 1/2 their team is rolling with no resistance towards our cap from said flank. if i chai sniped it would be pretty awesome but i like getting in and brawling.

Last edited:

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
What a bunch of horse crap. All those tier 5 players in that same tier 5 game... all those 6s in that very tier 6 game, etc. Assuming an even distribution between tiers for all 30 players of a battle, 1/3 are top tier, 1/3 middle, and 1/3 low. How can it possibly be true that a single person gets top tier 1/10 of the time?

Regarding paying gold to convert, sorry, that too is a joke right? Horde your damn free exp instead of burning it to unlock next tiers quicker and you will have enough to get your tank to not be stock. Some tanks are very good stock btw, most TDs are very effective stock. Most light tanks don't even need to shoot to help their team the most.

Please tell me you were being sarcastic.

oh i wasn't talking about lower tiers as it's been awhile since i've grinded.
i kept my T37 (6), T71 (7) and my 50 100 and is-3 (8)
and i understand the lights being in tier 9/10 matches as that's how it's intended.
my tier 8's however, end up in tier 9 and 10 games more than i get top tier by far.

and while i understand using gold to convert free xp is a waste of $, if it lets me skip a couple weeks to a month of grinding depending on playtime, i'll do it.

Last edited:

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I do believe their is an age requirement to play the game. I have nothing to offer than to say that perhaps a kid of 7 should not be playing against adults online?

Further, since this is a team game, you should expect teammates to get massively angry at ANY player actively hurting their team by dying quickly or going AFK. I understand life happens and you might have to go AFK, but I don't care about the player's age... if it is a habit that he gets called away from the computer, then probably committing (and that is what it is) to a 15 minute game is a bad idea.

Let me counter with this, should I give the player a pass because he is 7? Because she is a girl? Because he was in the military? Because he has a potato for a computer? Because he has no hands and uses his face to bash the controls on the keyboard (I think I have seen a few of those)?

My answer is no. Nobody gets a pass. If you progressed out of tier 2-3, then you are out of the pond and entered the scary ocean. You want to get a pass from me, play tier 1-2, I expect everyone there to be derping around and pew pew pewing.

The 75 does ~100 damage a shot. If it pens. The 105 will do a pathetic amount to the KV1/1s/2. Return fire will end the hetzer quickly. If you kill my KV-2 with a hetzer, it is because I positioned myself badly and didn't have a way to retreat and reload, or you finished me off. If you are winning against a KV-1 in a 1 on 1, I am impressed and unbelieving (or you are playing against Slag's kid).

He likes the game and likes to progess through the tanks. He thinks they are remote controlled and I'm find with that. He never "kills" anyone, just knocks the tanks out. I guess I'll just report the next person who uses foul or derrogatory language as there's no place for that in a game. My son is fairly decent to be honest. He's been playing for a couple weeks or so and almost has the jackson. We limit his play time so he's making the most of it.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
He likes the game and likes to progess through the tanks. He thinks they are remote controlled and I'm find with that. He never "kills" anyone, just knocks the tanks out. I guess I'll just report the next person who uses foul or derrogatory language as there's no place for that in a game. My son is fairly decent to be honest. He's been playing for a couple weeks or so and almost has the jackson. We limit his play time so he's making the most of it.

WTF

shit talking is part of gaming culture.

Never buy your son an xbox/ps.

also:

A. Registration

In order to take part in the World of Tanks MMO Game, participants (“Players”) must be 13 years of age or older.

:colbert:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009

There's a reason why the minimum age is 13. I guess you are just another entitled knob that thinks the rules should conform to you instead of the other way around.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There's a reason why the minimum age is 13. I guess you are just another entitled knob that thinks the rules should conform to you instead of the other way around.

Yep! Nailed it. I don't want to hear that crap either.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I cannot recall what the skill level of the last one I 1v1'ed was (I run XVM). But basically I was positioned so that I was barely visible. Was behind a building (non destructible) with just the gun and far right side of my TD visible (gun is offset on a hetzer). The KV-1 continued to fire at me while moving in and out of cover, the vast majority of his shots bouncing. He did hit my track several times, but since I was stationary it wasn't a big deal. I was using the 75mm L48 gun. Now I was a bit hull down, which makes the already angled armor work better than normal. I just continued to hit his front view port until i destroyed him.

Its possible he had a low end gun, or wasn't a good player. I am no expert either, my current skill rating is only a 400 (enough to make me orange at least). And I do kill other KV's, normally from range, as I typically setup in a sniper position. The Hetzer sucks at close range. So I typically hide in a bush with a camo net and either snipe, or wait and ambush with other TDs.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lol for the lulz i'm playing the loltractor. what a great confidence booster nailing noobs.

JoJoman88

Jul 27, 2006
lately for me my teams are ignoring entire flanks, yet still losing their side of the fight when 1/2 their team is rolling with no resistance towards our cap from said flank. if i chai sniped it would be pretty awesome but i like getting in and brawling.

Yes, this is going on too much as of late. I mean what are you going to do? Be the one tank going the other way and get quickly wiped out. Or go with the pack and try to get your little bit before they cap out. You know the team is going to be defeated. What do you guys do?

datalink7

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Finally got my STB-1. Have to say it is an awesome tank. Only 11 games so far but 63% win rate with 3.5k average damage.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Wow. Just wow.

Parent of the year right there. It's everybody else's problem, not yours.

Wow, if you think its acceptable to curse and call people shithead the like in a game, you're the one with the problem, not me. Seriously, this is not how people act. Grow up. He can't see the chat anyway because the filter is on.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Wow, if you think its acceptable to curse and call people shithead the like in a game, you're the one with the problem, not me. Seriously, this is not how people act. Grow the fuck up.

lol