[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 347 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
damn i'm still 30k or so away from the T32, figure i'll just grind all the way tho.

not sure i want to get the T30 anymore, i don't even see it in matches anymore, i may have to jump down to the T28-T95- route from the T28 proto since everyone says that tier X is better

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Bought the T30 on Sunday and free xp'ed to the big gun (I put the 5t suspension on to get around the tracks). Yet another hard hitting tank that I will love. Infinite aim time though.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
digging my kv-4 a lot now with the 107 , did not think i'd like it, it was horrible with the kv-3 top gun

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
I'm not liking the XP change to SPGs. Got too many people playing arty as is. Rewarding them with anything better just encourages more arty in this game. Not something I'm found of. Only other thing that might not be good is the camo changes. Have to wait and see how that changes things in game.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I'm wondering if maybe there's some BS randomization going on to simulate complex ricochets on AP rounds.

Here's the thing though: I've never (or never noticed) getting module damages by people shooting into the regular armor spaces where there's no module. From what WG has said, the shells travel until the first thing they hit, whether its your shell eating radio man or the engine or just the HP "hull" of the tank. From what WG is saying it seems like shells would ricochet around inside the tank until it runs out of energy or hits something.

If this mechanic is there I have never noticed it. If I get shot by a BL-10 in a penetration, technically it should bounce around a bit. This would mean you can get engine damage from getting shot in the front even if your engine is in the back and that has NEVER happened.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Bought the T30 on Sunday and free xp'ed to the big gun (I put the 5t suspension on to get around the tracks). Yet another hard hitting tank that I will love. Infinite aim time though.

This picture seems relevant to how your shots will land in 8.6.
TgixhTv.png

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
if i wasn't so far up the american td line, i'd go for the 183, now that sucker scares me

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
That is funny about the T30. Liked mine but don't play it since I got the T110E4.

Same, I ended up selling it and just using the crew for the E4. It wasn't a bad TD though, but the ghost shots were pretty annoying. I'm convinced it along with the JgTiger have some sort of underlying bug with their gun that hasn't been corrected.

ThinClient

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2013
Here's the thing though: I've never (or never noticed) getting module damages by people shooting into the regular armor spaces where there's no module. From what WG has said, the shells travel until the first thing they hit, whether its your shell eating radio man or the engine or just the HP "hull" of the tank. From what WG is saying it seems like shells would ricochet around inside the tank until it runs out of energy or hits something.

If this mechanic is there I have never noticed it. If I get shot by a BL-10 in a penetration, technically it should bounce around a bit. This would mean you can get engine damage from getting shot in the front even if your engine is in the back and that has NEVER happened.

Shells travel in a straight line through your tank. There's a penetration roll on first contact, damage applied if penetration makes it, then other rolls to see if the round has enough pen left to damage modules or people who are in the way and whether it's enough damage left to kill or just damage the module/crew member.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Shells travel in a straight line through your tank. There's a penetration roll on first contact, damage applied if penetration makes it, then other rolls to see if the round has enough pen left to damage modules or people who are in the way and whether it's enough damage left to kill or just damage the module/crew member.

right.

Which is why the "ricochet" part confused me. The shells, to my knowledge, NEVER ricocheted. So "super heated stream" doesn't make sense to me. It's all just a straight line.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Really? That does sound insane. I'm tempted to try it though.

It works well because you wide tracks, decent side armor and your R2D2 isn't showing itself as usual.

However, remember to do it right, because big 120mm's will go through if they can see enough of your rear armor.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Really? That does sound insane. I'm tempted to try it though.

yeah, it takes a little getting used to the turning since it is backwards. But provided you arent playing against the big boys. It seems to bounce like a champ. At the very least it is no worse than showing that big ass R2D2 unit that everybody can pen.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The r2d2 is the weakest part of the tank. I have trouble penning the angled back of the KV5 but no problems penning the r2d2 ever unless I'm shooting a tier 5 gun. Shit, I think I had problems penning the sides of the KV5 on occasion in a t20/pershing...

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Hey ash, it FINALLY happened... I made it (at least as of this post).

signature.png

Congrats! And you did it without me. Hell, remember when we first started platooning and I was just a 54% and you were a 56%er. I used to look at people in the high 50s and 60s and wonder how the hell they could win that often. Come to find out, its not all that hard, you just need to play good and bring 2 competant platoon mates with you.

At some point I'll come back to tanks. I'm just distracted with some real life stuff and a few other games atm. My goal some day is to get 65%, which is doable, assuming when I come back I can still find some competant platoon mates.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Congrats! And you did it without me. Hell, remember when we first started platooning and I was just a 54% and you were a 56%er. I used to look at people in the high 50s and 60s and wonder how the hell they could win that often. Come to find out, its not all that hard, you just need to play good and bring 2 competant platoon mates with you.

At some point I'll come back to tanks. I'm just distracted with some real life stuff and a few other games atm. My goal some day is to get 65%, which is doable, assuming when I come back I can still find some competant platoon mates.

I can basically say I have plateaued in this game stat wise. I am sure I could learn more stuff, but frankly the effort involved in reaching the next skillset is not something I am shooting for. I find I am truly just a casual player, who likes to win more than lose! I sure as hell am not going to play OP tanks only, and will continue to play my Lee (you know, when you shoot premium ammo only...), my BDR, and my 183... and I will continue to solo in my KV2 and my E100.

What is fun is I am convincing more and more players I platoon with to go certain ways on certain maps. Steppes, we are all going the 8-9 line now. Prohk, we are always going to the east side of tracks. Basically I am convincing the platoon-mates to go where they will be an active participant over relying on pubs to get you spots.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I actually don't like the 8-9 line much on steppes. It feels open (arty prone) and there's always a line of tanks sitting there and it ends up being a stalemate.

I like the 1-2 line better. The rolling hills on the side gives great hull down positions even for german tanks, and the bumpy hills are good for all sorts of elevation changes for your terrible gun depressions. Plus pubbies LOVE to go there so they will soak up shots and draw attention while you flank them on the top of the hill.

I've also seen great things happen when a good platoon takes the middle road and flank either side. (1-2 side preferred as that's a bigger cover)

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I always go 1-2 line on steppes. Go for the hump with 4 pillars. Win that and usually win the map.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The r2d2 is the weakest part of the tank. I have trouble penning the angled back of the KV5 but no problems penning the r2d2 ever unless I'm shooting a tier 5 gun. Shit, I think I had problems penning the sides of the KV5 on occasion in a t20/pershing...

A decent gun will puncture the side of the turret. Having said that I'd love to see a KV5 come bacwards at me. I know where to hit that big beautiful backside. Also better be sure people cant hit the side or rear of the turret.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I actually don't like the 8-9 line much on steppes. It feels open (arty prone) and there's always a line of tanks sitting there and it ends up being a stalemate.

I like the 1-2 line better. The rolling hills on the side gives great hull down positions even for german tanks, and the bumpy hills are good for all sorts of elevation changes for your terrible gun depressions. Plus pubbies LOVE to go there so they will soak up shots and draw attention while you flank them on the top of the hill.

I've also seen great things happen when a good platoon takes the middle road and flank either side. (1-2 side preferred as that's a bigger cover)

If you are on the north side on Steppes 8,9 line is the place to go. Especially if you are in a decently fast tank, you can make it to that little ridge and spot the enemy team out in the open in the south before they can make it down into the gully or behind the rock. The best part is if you shoot at them, most pubbies will stop in the open to shoot back, and you can hull down behind the ridge and pick them to pieces. This ends up denying them the rock and gully, and leaves the rest of the south open for you to advance near thier base and spot some of thier arty, and the rest of thier team taking cover a thier base.

In contrast, the 1,2,3 area is always a huge clusterfuck that bogs down (our nickname for going there is :"Playing dick grab in the thunderdome"). Even with the terrain, there are very few true arty safe places in that area. Also in most cases it requires you to expose yourself to enemy fire in order to take a shot, and there aren't that many spot over there where you can take full advantage of a hull down tank.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I had massive fun in my 183 in the past 2 days...
1) sniped a T-54 on Abbey while a friendly was in my circle (friendly was screwed if I let the duel happen)
2) One shot an E75 while he was cresting a hill.
3) Same game as 2, I snap shot a Maus for 2k damage.
4) I 2 shot a Maus on Steppes while he was lumbering to the 8/9 line.
5) I said hello to an E100 who did not protect or angle his under plate.

And then there are the WTF I didn't pen shots? Like the side of a T30, or the butt of a 103, or when I hit the gun of a Batchat, or the underplate of a T57.

And then there are the complete misses. When my shot went UNDER an E100 and I still splashed him for 700 damage. When my shot went so far out of my reticule that it hit the rock I was hiding behind and took out my own gun...