[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 281 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
Had my best worst game yet last night.
IS-4
8 kills
Top Gun
Sniper
Burda's Medal
Boelter's Medal

Killed a 110E5, 110E4, Ferdinand and 5 pieces of T7 and T8 artillery. My platoon mates killed two tanks for a total of 10 in our platoon. We lost 15-3

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Had my best worst game yet last night.
IS-4
8 kills
Top Gun
Sniper
Burda's Medal
Boelter's Medal

Killed a 110E5, 110E4, Ferdinand and 5 pieces of T7 and T8 artillery. My platoon mates killed two tanks for a total of 10 in our platoon. We lost 15-3

you should have more EXP then some of the other tema for winning, take that as some consolation.. I'm taking a break.. I have had such a bad sterak of games in the last few months.. took my win percent down 2 full points.. a year plus of playing and one month lowered it 2%!!!! trying to decide if I just suck (averageing 2 kills a match, 72% hit ratio), if everybody got good, or .. my teams just got bad?

a break is what i need, rekindle some love for the game..

AND WTH is is with people on Defends racing out and and dying? Defend is impossilbe to lose if you (drumroll) DEFEND!!!!!!!

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
To be fair, there are some places on the map you should race out to get as defenders. The starting areas SUCK for defending.

I've also noticed the quality of players dropping tremendously in the late months. It seems like bads have finally rolled their faces up to tier 8 and 9 tanks.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
The mods are probably some overzealous teenagers that are paid in gold(game currency, not real gold). I've rarely ever seen a person with a mod tag, although I have to admit I barely look for them. Is this a 7 day chat ban, or full ban? If its just a chat ban, then who cares. If its a full ban and you're a premium player, I would be pissed. I only believe full bans should be placed on TKers and such, any chat related issues can easily be solved with a chat ban.

I also sympathize with you, as 7 days is a little much, and it was clearly a joke. Mods these days are getting just as bad as homeowner associations.

I don't know their age, but I know the moderators are highly inconsistent. They have low standards.

One evening, I saved about four random hours of chat and sent it to them showinng dozens of bad and inconstent moderator behavior, to make the point.

They responded with thanks for the chat and that they'd take action as appropriate. Of course none of the mods who did badly were removed.

There was no offense here at all.

First, it was clearly a joke. Now, a joke could be politically offensive, but this wasn't - the worst it did was, to make a joke about banning a speaker, to use the rule against anti-gay comments in chat by citing Mike Huckabee who proudly has anti-gay policies. That's the same amount of offense as saying 'Mike Huckabee is a Republican' or 'Mike Huckabee is against the stimulus', just citing that he'd speak about anti-gay policies in a speech.

Now, the enforcement in chat has always been that there's a certain amount of political chat, and the moderators haven't jumped to bans. They've not reacted to a good amount while it's reasonably civil; if someone starts to get insulting, they give a warning to stop the political chat, with no bans unless people continue. There was no warning here. And not one person was offended - only several people enjoying the humor.

Even if it HAD been a politically offensive comment and IF they had decided to sanction it without any mod warning or offense for the first time to handle it that way, the penalty for that offense is normally one day - not seven, which is for the different offense, which not even they tried to defend had happened, 'impersonating an administrator'.

As for the chat ban, why care? Well, there's the problem above. There's the problem that I'd had a previous excessive ban end literally five minutes before this one. But there's also the problem that you can't speak in matches, which hurts the enjoyment and the gameplay; you can't even hit t to announce targets, you can't ping the map. You can't talk to your clan as clan wars are being planned, you can't respond to a friend's chat box.

I had a game where I was playing an arty, and a player decided to announce he suspected I was AFK when he didn't see me move around the map. I couldn't answer. Then when he saw me move, he changed it to that I was a bot. Couldn't answer, reinforcing his baseless suspicions. Can't ask for people to attack a target, can't warn people of an enemy. Until you play without any chat, you might not appreciate, it makes the game a lot less fun.

FYI, why I had a ban before: I deserved it technically, but the length was too long.

We've all seen people who 'mouth off' in the game, inviting to be teamkilled - with racist comments, cussing insults at teammates, etc. There's a player who had a big mouth and was already on my ignore list for it. I don't remember the details, but he later claimed he'd teamkilled my tank. Then I saw him in a recent match, and he was in his 704, staying behind my tank ramming me and trying to not let me back up after I shot an enemy. I returned the behavior by going behind him. Then he began to turn around to face my tank; it was likely he'd shoot my tank, but I didn't do anything, and he shot and destroyed my tank. I said in chat he's a teamkiller, and reported him.

He had not even turned blue for it, much less reached the point for a sanction, which would be a one day ban. Wargaming has said they will not take any other action for teamkilling, no matter how blatant, no matter if a replay shows it was intentional - they treat it the same whether an accident or intentional. So he'd get no punishment.

Right after that he was in another match - I took him off ignore to monitor, and he was mouthing off insults, and my tank had been destroyed by the enemy but he was saying he'd destroy it a third time. I decided that was enough of him not getting any punishemnt, and said to the enemy 'I wouldn't normally do this, but a teamkiller is in b9'. Against the rules; if I got a ban, so be it. Nothing happened to him from that, the enemy didn't shoot him.

Only thing is, later that day, I got a three day ban. Now that seems a bit much, given that I'd done nothing while he was teamkilling, until repeated provocations; not justifying it but mitigating it; and that he was not getting any punishment for teamkillng, and if he HAD, past blue, to sanction, it was only a one day punishment; while the message to the enemy, which didn't result in harm, after repeated provocation and teamkilling, got a three day ban.
As always, a ticket pointing out that discrepancy got the monkeys to say it was correct.

That was the case of three days' ban ending 5 minutes before the new 7 day ban for a harmless joke.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Man, you got issues bro. You can't leave the politics out of anything and now they shut you up. Perhaps you need to look within and find what's wrong with you.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Man, you got issues bro. You can't leave the politics out of anything and now they shut you up. Perhaps you need to look within and find what's wrong with you.

Wah, his joke had a slight political flavor I hate politics all those stupid policians I want to be ignorant ignorance is bliss so I whine about politics even when it's not the issue waah

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
Just had a tier 7 game in Highway map, where 3 M18 "wolf pack" and charged directly toward our base. I was in my T29 and saw them moving very fast on the map so I headed back to base, just in time to greet them. I quickly destroyed them all by myself before they can even find our arty. Seriously M18s are no Type59s, with very slow turret and large turning radius and paper-thin armor that was a stupid move.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
people who charge in m18s are dummies. I never suicide scouted in my m18, and the only time I bother wolf-packing in it is when I'm bored. The m18 can hull down well, is super fast so it can relocate to support well and it's great at harassing. The mobility and turret turn sucks, it's not a brawler at all.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Last game I played last night was in my 50B. I did 5000+ damage, got sniper and top gun, and we lost. And I was mocked for being a camper. Even though I was engaging from the start and stopped their initial north push, went around and stopped their southern push, and then made a desperate defense. Ah well.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I did the same in a ferd back in beta and the other team just raged about me being a camper. 5 kills and over 2000 exp from a single game? Sure i'll be a camper. :D

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
I did the same in a ferd back in beta and the other team just raged about me being a camper. 5 kills and over 2000 exp from a single game? Sure i'll be a camper. :D

We all have to admit that the game rewards (public games) camping alot more then agressive play(though some good agressive teamwork is incredible to see). With that said, its actually good game design I think. Taking in view ranges, camo and such the "camper" has the best situation to work with. its one reason scouting is so improtant in the game. In Pubs.. set up the tent, with teamates you dont know its the best overall idea I think.

I have noticed how slow high tier games go when there are no fast scout classes, slow tanks trying to sneak up on each other..

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Defense always works better unless you have an overwhelming attack force. Defenders have better vantage points, better view and the element of surprise. It's worked throughout history in major battles and wars and thats how it is. Which is why its important to focus on breaches, flank when appropriate and to utilize mobility to its fullest. Unfortunately that doesn't work out in pubs because most players lack any sort of awareness.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Defense always works better unless you have an overwhelming attack force. Defenders have better vantage points, better view and the element of surprise. It's worked throughout history in major battles and wars and thats how it is. Which is why its important to focus on breaches, flank when appropriate and to utilize mobility to its fullest. Unfortunately that doesn't work out in pubs because most players lack any sort of awareness.

Hence Sun Tzu's guideline, frontal assaults should outnumber the defenders by three to one. Doesn't make it fun to be among the attackers expecting the high losses.

And of course that was a rough guildeline about the technology thousands of years ago.

Modern war would have no problem where a 300 to 1 numeric advantage was wiped out by better-equipped defenders.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Just had a tier 7 game in Highway map, where 3 M18 "wolf pack" and charged directly toward our base. I was in my T29 and saw them moving very fast on the map so I headed back to base, just in time to greet them. I quickly destroyed them all by myself before they can even find our arty. Seriously M18s are no Type59s, with very slow turret and large turning radius and paper-thin armor that was a stupid move.

There are only a couple maps I will race out with my M18. But my plan of attack is to get 1-2 shots off then run away. If a turret so much as looks like it is turning towards me I run. I love the M18 though. Played patiently it is a really fun tank. And its armor is so craptastic it forces you to be patient or die.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Heh playing on Westfield in my E50. Fiances kid in his Type59. We start off south side and head up hill into the city. We roll through and our team is heading towards their base. Our mediums on the east hill are gone. So i run back being the fastest and at full health to keep the 4-5 guys off our cap while we cap theirs. I get there and a Type59 just got done finishing off our arty. And he rolles to the cap. I pluck him twice and he has about 150 HP left. But he is hiding behind the house. So i roll down the hill and flush him out. As I do that here comes the calvary. Right as I shoot the 150hp Type59 sending him to tank heaven his friend in a Type59 does the unthinkable. He rams me at full speed lmao. Thank you for damage equivalent to a 1200 credit 105 round for free. The ramming cost him nearly 400 damage. Then comes a 13-75 and T62a for an attemped gang beatdown. We spend the next 60ish seconds with these 3 weaklings grinding on my E50 as I backup and move around to systematically end their games while shooting me. The match ends with the 13-75 and I barely alive lol. The 13-75 should had been dead as well. But somehow I bounced at point blank on his turret and another one somehow missed him completely.

0___________0

May 5, 2012
Is there a point in the game where players who don't have a premium bonus are unable to earn a net profit because of the high cost of shells and repairs? I've heard people say that once you hit tier VIII its really hard, but can be done.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I usually lose money starting tier 8 if I don't do well. Although I can make a profit on tier 9 and tier 10 on the odd occasion, most of the time I at least break even.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Is there a point in the game where players who don't have a premium bonus are unable to earn a net profit because of the high cost of shells and repairs? I've heard people say that once you hit tier VIII its really hard, but can be done.

That is why people purchase one tier 8 premium tank. Either you stick with a tier 5 or 6 grinding credits every other game or you play the tier 8 every once in a while.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The money changes they made 1 or 2 patches ago made tier 9 and 10 much more profitable. I don't play my 10's much, but I do make a lot of credits in the T30 (with premium). I think I had a 65k match today.

Lonbjerg

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
That is why people purchase one tier 8 premium tank. Either you stick with a tier 5 or 6 grinding credits every other game or you play the tier 8 every once in a while.

I only play my Löwe when I need credits...which is rare these days...:)

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I broke out my tiger 2 which I hadn't played in a long time yesterday for some x5 action. First game I rolled out with a top gun, sniper, ace badge (hadn't played it since the badge patch really) and 11k xp. My second game after the x5 reset I ended up getting a boelters, but unfortunately still lost. I had forgotten how beastly of a tier 8 the king tiger is.

My favorite tank to play right now though is the ISU-152. Its the one tier 8 tank that I dont mind being in tier 10 games. The BL-10 is a monster thats capable of blowing a whole in anything. This is one of those tanks (besides arty) that can turn the tide of the battle with a few well placed shots. Nothing stops a push like the lead tank getting shot for ~800 damage.