[MMO] World of Tanks

Page 200 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Harabec

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2005
Just had the silliest game ever, courtesy of the wonderful MM:
shot_005.jpg

We won this in 4 minutes. Our arty did a great job during reloads.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
AFAIK the Game Engine itself is limited to 72kph which is what the Hellcat should be capable of.

Wargaming.net screwed the pooch with the Test Server anyway. I have a WoT RU and US account on the same email as my EU account. Logging in only gives me access to my RU account which has 4 Tier 1 tanks. No access to ElcomeSoft_EU for me means no testing possible.

It unfortunately does not reach anywhere close to 72kph. D:

It's a good 40kph off from what it's theoretical top speed is and what the game allows it to get at. We're looking mid 50's realistically and only across one side of an urban map to another will you even hit 60.

It's got a much lower profile than the Slugger, the turret traverse is slow but not too bad, the gun hits hard, it is medium tank fast though nowhere close to T-50-2.

I overall liked it but just found myself disappointed with how slow it is compared to what it should be and what I thought it would be. :\

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
It unfortunately does not reach anywhere close to 72kph. D:

It's a good 40kph off from what it's theoretical top speed is and what the game allows it to get at. We're looking mid 50's realistically and only across one side of an urban map to another will you even hit 60.

It's got a much lower profile than the Slugger, the turret traverse is slow but not too bad, the gun hits hard, it is medium tank fast though nowhere close to T-50-2.

I overall liked it but just found myself disappointed with how slow it is compared to what it should be and what I thought it would be. :\

Is the turret traverse slower than the Slugger's? Is it known if the 90mm is the same, better, or worse than the slugger's stat wise?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Well I tried out the test server over the weekend. The T34 looks like it will lead the pack of tier 8 premiums. The gun has 246 pen and 400 dam and it looks like the armor values didn't change, although the health is now 1500 or so if I remember correctly. The new tier 9 and 10 american heavies now have frontal armor. Thier gun gets 270ish pen and only 400 dam. So they lose the T30s alpha, but gain survivability. The T30 as a TD just seems laughable as they have it on the TS. They nerfed the HP to 1700 and lowered the turret armor to around 200. So unless they upped the RoF (didn't check) then I dont see why anyone would want this tank.

To the joy of most people the arty on the TS has all been nerfed (at least looking at tier 8s). The RoF is slower and the accuracy is worse. The new garage GUI also shows splash radius for HE shells now, which is nice to know.

The new skills seems to make a decent difference. I had brothers in arms (5% extra skill to all crew) and the driver skills that helps with turning on my E75 and the tank seems to scoot around. It almost feels like a medium with excellent acceleration and turning speeds. BIA only took .29 seconds off my reload time of 13.21 sec, so only a 2.2% increase in RoF.

The new commander ability to know damaged modules/crew of enemy tanks is awesome. The little symbols show up below your reticule when you hover over a tank. It does seem to lag slightly and I only happened to see ammo rack and tracks. I did hear from clan mates that crew symbols also show up, however I never saw any myself.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
Finally got me an autoloader tank. This single purchase has revitalized me and this game. I have the 50/100 and it is just a pure joy. Talk about a smooth grind as well. I already have the tracks and big gun for it.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
To the joy of most people the arty on the TS has all been nerfed (at least looking at tier 8s). The RoF is slower and the accuracy is worse. The new garage GUI also shows splash radius for HE shells now, which is nice to know.

Dear god, the tier 8 arty already have insanely long reload time. They already screwed with HE damage and profitability. Why don't they just remove it and give me a crap ton of free experience.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
Dear god, the tier 8 arty already have insanely long reload time. They already screwed with HE damage and profitability. Why don't they just remove it and give me a crap ton of free experience.

I do believe the patch notes say that they are increasing credit gain for the tier 8 arties 5-10%. I dont have access atm, so I may be wrong on the %, but they are mucking with the credits gains for most tanks/spgs/TDs. Overall jist I got is that the lowest and highest tiers are getting a slight boost.

I got about 40k or so xp left to grind on my S-51 to get the object. Unfortunately it looks like a nice downgrade on speed/maneuverability for a slightly faster reload and aim. After that its the epic 300+k grind to the tier 8. With the crappy xp I usually get on my SPG thats probably going to take 550 or so games. I already got 25k free xp saved up, so I guess in a month or 2 I'll have 100+k free xp to help soften the grind up some to only 250-400 games.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Am I crazy, or do french lights NEVER get tracked? The T50 or T50-2 get tracked if you hit anywhere near them or their tracks, but those annoying french lights just power on after getting hit from a T9 gun! It's not right.

They usually get tracked when I am about to deal them a death blow.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Got the IS3 this weekend. Burned free experience to get everything except the radio. Played about 20 games and won 11. It is interesting to be on the other end of the tank now. Tier 8 guns in the right place can penetrate it. Tier 7 and lower seem to bounce over and over. The gun is inaccurate compared to what I am used to with German guns. But it can hurt. I dont know why the BL9 seems to penetrate where the long 105 cant. Both have the same penetration value of 225. For instance I was beating down an Object 704 down a road. Knocked him from 100-38% before he turned tail. In my KT with the long 105 I cant penetrate the front of it at all.

Overall the tank is pretty impressive. Hoping to get the IS4 within a month.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Got the IS3 this weekend. Burned free experience to get everything except the radio. Played about 20 games and won 11. It is interesting to be on the other end of the tank now. Tier 8 guns in the right place can penetrate it. Tier 7 and lower seem to bounce over and over. The gun is inaccurate compared to what I am used to with German guns. But it can hurt. I dont know why the BL9 seems to penetrate where the long 105 cant. Both have the same penetration value of 225. For instance I was beating down an Object 704 down a road. Knocked him from 100-38% before he turned tail. In my KT with the long 105 I cant penetrate the front of it at all.

I like my IS-3. I got my IS-4 and it's really just sitting in the garage right now, I won't play it until it's a tier 10 tank.

I'm working on getting my E8 right now and an Arl 44.. I just want one of those goofy tanks.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Finally got me an autoloader tank. This single purchase has revitalized me and this game. I have the 50/100 and it is just a pure joy. Talk about a smooth grind as well. I already have the tracks and big gun for it.

feels like i'll never get there, the arl44 was horrible
and the m4 1945 grind is twice as long ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH
i have the turret/tracks/gun
but need the 2 engines before i start the grind for the amx's

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010

The BL-9 is a great gun for a tier 8. You'll also find that even though it lacks accuracy compared to its KT counterpart (on paper at least), it still easily hits targets across the map more than you would think possible. Some people will say the KT is the best tier 8, however after eliting both it and the IS-3, I prefer the IS-3. The IS-3 has better manueverability, alpha damage, and if positioned correctly, better bounce characteristics than the KT. The only thing lacking is it doesnt have the extra hp the KT has, however its not that big of a difference.

The best thing to keep in mind is that you should directly face your oppenents. If you dont, even a slight 10-15 degree angle makes your front ammo rack lines vulnerable to other tier 8+ tanks. Due to the front ammo rack positions (and other not so great locations), you will get your ammo rack damaged in alot of games. As always, bring a repair kit.

Also save up as much free xp as you can. Playing the IS-4 with the BL-9 isn't much fun (albiet a better grind than the T34/E75 without thier respective guns).

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001

BL-9 is also a higher caliber. I don't really know if shell overmatching is in place (some say it is some say not) but BL-9 is a 130mm round compared to KT's 105mm. A lot of tanks have around 100-120mm armor sloped. However, if you're fighting the OBJ, just shoot the parts that's NOT the gun. Easy penetrations, the obj isn't as bouncy as people think.

If you bounce on an obj 99% of the time its because you hit the gun. Drive an obj myself, so I NEVER have a problem fighting them. I never bounce hits on an obj unless i'm sniping from far away.

And I noticed russian guns are VERY center heavy in comparison to any german guns (exception being the 88 and long 75). I always snipe stuff on my IS-4, but I don't try very hard to hit anything beyond 400m with my E-75 for the most part. The 12.8 just isn't an accurate gun.

Also got my first scout medal ever this weekend. Lit up 13/15 of the other tanks for our Ferdinand and 3 other big tanks to pick apart over the course of about 7 minutes. I don't think the other team fired a single shot, but bloody good sportsmanship for them to not be screaming hacks or crying like babies.

Game ended with our team losing 2 little tanks (2 tier 6s).

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
feels like i'll never get there, the arl44 was horrible
and the m4 1945 grind is twice as long ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH
i have the turret/tracks/gun
but need the 2 engines before i start the grind for the amx's

I cheated, I ground out the ARL and skipped the M4.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
BL-9 is also a higher caliber. I don't really know if shell overmatching is in place (some say it is some say not) but BL-9 is a 130mm round compared to KT's 105mm. A lot of tanks have around 100-120mm armor sloped. However, if you're fighting the OBJ, just shoot the parts that's NOT the gun. Easy penetrations, the obj isn't as bouncy as people think.

If you bounce on an obj 99% of the time its because you hit the gun. Drive an obj myself, so I NEVER have a problem fighting them. I never bounce hits on an obj unless i'm sniping from far away.

And I noticed russian guns are VERY center heavy in comparison to any german guns (exception being the 88 and long 75). I always snipe stuff on my IS-4, but I don't try very hard to hit anything beyond 400m with my E-75 for the most part. The 12.8 just isn't an accurate gun.

Also got my first scout medal ever this weekend. Lit up 13/15 of the other tanks for our Ferdinand and 3 other big tanks to pick apart over the course of about 7 minutes. I don't think the other team fired a single shot, but bloody good sportsmanship for them to not be screaming hacks or crying like babies.

Game ended with our team losing 2 little tanks (2 tier 6s).

Speaking of scouting, that reminds me, the test server has notifications (audible and text) for when enemies are spotted now. They also have audible notifications for when a tank was destroyed by someone else.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Speaking of scouting, that reminds me, the test server has notifications (audible and text) for when enemies are spotted now. They also have audible notifications for when a tank was destroyed by someone else.

ugh. Like the little gear sound when your reticule focuses in is not enough. I suppose it doesn't help me but it might be useful to all the players that are completely oblivious to their surroundings.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
People are going to whine even more about hacks once the "your spotted" perk becomes available. People are going to get shot when they aren't spotted and cry hacks. Some people fail to realize that all tanks have tracers, and I've blind fired at tracers plenty of times to end up with a kill. Not to mention I've fired at spots where someone was spotted, so if they didn't move, I'm still going to hit them even though I can't see them.

I've often times popped off a few rounds into known hiding spots such as bushes at key points and such.

Ammo is cheap, life is short. I go down shooting (Even if they are empty bushes)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

What tank?

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
I've often times popped off a few rounds into known hiding spots such as bushes at key points and such.

Ammo is cheap, life is short. I go down shooting (Even if they are empty bushes)

when your ammo costs 1.1k a round and takes 10 seconds to reload you will stop shooting into random bushes unless you know something's there. :)

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
The Devs said they were going to raise HE damage 20% for tanks but didn't say which patch. You guys using the TS seeing any HE damage changes?

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
The Devs said they were going to raise HE damage 20% for tanks but didn't say which patch. You guys using the TS seeing any HE damage changes?

Well the listed arty damage on the test server is the same. So I either assume thats not in, or that 20% increase is due to game mechanics (i.e. less HE dam reduction on a non-penetrating shot).

I would also not be surprised if some of the numbers on the test server were changed prior to going live.

edit: Actually this 20% increase is easy to accomplish via the game engine instead of changing damage values for all the tanks. All they have to do is only reduce HE damage by 40% instead of 50%. This would make alot of sense if this is in this patch with the slower arty RoF and the decreased accuracy. All I have to say is if this extra 20% increase is in, getting shot at by arty is going to suck even more. On the flip side, loading your first shot as HE to shoot scouts will be more effective.

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

AFAIK it was a 20% change in the effectiveness of spaced armour. This leading to a positive change in the damage outcome of an HE shell.