Milo - Dangerous

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Cool comments about his book bruh.

Now on to what I actually said... he makes some great points in his debates I've watched, really hammers feminists and left of common sense liberals. The over reactive left doesn't know how to handle him, he doesn't fit into their compartmentalized partisan stereotypes. He's well spoken and a good debater. The fact that the left practically riots when he is going to visit their safe space campus is very telling. Anything that threatens their totalitarian bubble is attacked viciously.

Did you actually read the editorial notes on his book? He's a bigoted, clueless, immature piece of shit.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'll post some videos, won't transcribe for you though.
You shouldn't have to transcribe a video if it's making a good point and you understand it. You should be able to articulate it yourself.
If you can't then his argument has failed you.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The most generous I can be about his debating points is that he's very good about picking soft targets to ad hom.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Milo made comments which sounded quite supportive of pedophilia. This evidently did not end his popularity among conservatives. But then again, we already know the two aren't incompatible.

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Free speech is freedom from government restrictions on speech, not freedom from private sanctions on speech.

If anything, being angry about twitter and university reactions to his shiftiness is an attack on free speech.

Universities that are in part or fully funded by the public are indeed governed by the 1st amendment. Private schools that accept no public funding or grants? - They can do as they please.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Milo made comments which sounded quite supportive of pedophilia. This evidently did not end his popularity among conservatives. But then again, we already know the two aren't incompatible.

I wonder if you remember Slate's writeup "I'm a pedophile, but not a monster" which it removed in the wake of Milo's comments.

And he was disinvited from CPAC, lost his book deal, and resigned from Breitbart over these comments.

I'm no fan of his. I'm a big fan of his arch-enemy, Ben Shapiro.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
I wonder if you remember Slate's writeup "I'm a pedophile, but not a monster" which it removed in the wake of Milo's comments.

I don't know what the relevance of that is. As I recall, we had a couple of threads about that article. It's author was claiming to be a pedophile who did not support the practice of adults having sex with children and claimed to have never done so. Milo made several comments suggesting he was supportive of it:

We get hung up on this child abuse stuff…

This is one of the reasons why I hate the left, the one size fits all policing of culture, this arbitrary and oppressive idea of consent.

I’m grateful for Father Michael [a Catholic priest Milo claims to have had sex with as a teenager]. I wouldn’t give nearly such good head if it wasn’t for him.

Pedophilia is not a sexual attraction to somebody who is 13 years old and sexually mature. Pedophilia is attraction to children who have not reached puberty, who do not have functioning sex organs yet, who have not gone through puberty.

In the gay world, some of the most important enriching, and incredibly life-affirming, important, shaping relationships are between younger boys and older men. They can be hugely positive experiences very often for those young boys.

And he was disinvited from CPAC, lost his book deal, and resigned from Breitbart over these comments.

Which is great. The problem is that he retains a following among conservatives. His book sold 18K copies in the first week, which isn't bad considering it is self-published. I guaranty you it isn't liberals buying this book. We have conservatives on this very forum touting this book.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

I don't agree with Shapiro in all areas, but he is another one that is fantastic in debates and makes great points. He also has been unfairly labeled by the left.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Which is great. The problem is that he retains a following among conservatives. His book sold 18K copies in the first week, which isn't bad considering it is self-published. I guaranty you it isn't liberals buying this book. We have conservatives on this very forum touting this book.

I could continue down the whataboutism trail, but instead I'll just say Milo's despicable, and we can thank him and the alt-right for their being lumped in with conservatism.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Shapiro is merely a reversion to the veiled bigotry conservative archetype that existed pre-Trump. I think you can do better.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I could continue down the whataboutism trail, but instead I'll just say Milo's despicable, and we can thank him and the alt-right for their being lumped in with conservatism.
You started that trail, buddy. That was you. Do you not remember?

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
No shit! You're kidding!

Could that possibly be why I said, "I could continue down that trail, but I'll stop"?
Your framing of it was that you were led down that trail. You didn't apologize for starting it, which would have been a clear indication of your recognition of what you had done, but I super appreciate you acknowledging your rhetorical failing.

Get better.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Your framing of it was that you were led down that trail. You didn't apologize for starting it, which would have been a clear indication of your recognition of what you had done, but I super appreciate you acknowledging your rhetorical failing.

Get better.

So in short you interpreted what I said in the way most likely to support your presumptions.

Shrug. I suppose there are still high schoolers who debate like this.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
How much do you follow Shapiro presently?
Quite a bit out of personal interest (I was dating someone who went to law school with him and she had opinions) but it's fallen off in the last few months. If you think I should revisit I'll give it a try, but I tend to find these pseudo-intellectuals who really just fall back on the apparently always okay to mouth opinion of "brown people are scum" really tiresome.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Quite a bit out of personal interest (I was dating someone who went to law school with him and she had opinions) but it's fallen off in the last few months. If you think I should revisit I'll give it a try, but I tend to find these pseudo-intellectuals who really just fall back on the apparently always okay to mouth opinion of "brown people are scum" really tiresome.

The difference between thinking that (1) racism does not account for the bulk of the problems facing racial minorities and (2)"brown people are scum" is quite a vast one. Shapiro is emphatically in the former camp.