Microsoft officially announces Windows 11

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
And no X99 support :C Though the workaround may work, at least for now.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
They are already adjusting the requirements elsewhere, from:
DirectStorage requires 1 TB or greater NVMe SSD to store and run games that uses the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX 12 Ultimate GPU.
to:
DirectStorage requires an NVMe SSD to store and run games that use the "Standard NVM Express Controller" driver and a DirectX12 GPU with Shader Model 6.0 support.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Installed Win 11 Pro in a VM. No TPM and no DirectX 12, no errors. Offline account works.

==

If you love classic menu:

Enable Windows 10 Start Menu (Do this first!).

Reboot, then install Open Shell Menu.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I did a backup on my X99 rig, and made the workaround USB drive. I was even able to install Windows 11 as an upgrade from within Windows 10. No issues so far, it is now running Windows 11 Pro on a local account without secure boot :p

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So if someone wanted to download the leaked ISO, hypothetically speaking, where would be the safest place to get it in theory, if someone was to consider doing that?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I did a backup on my X99 rig, and made the workaround USB drive. I was even able to install Windows 11 as an upgrade from within Windows 10. No issues so far, it is now running Windows 11 Pro on a local account without secure boot :p

Kind of sounds like the TPM thing is a lie then, but they're probably trying to boil the frog with that one.

I wonder if they'll roll it out in the update though and tell you "we warned you", since it sounds like the upgrader tool says it is required.

Reactions: ryan20fun

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
When I ran the check tool it tells me my PC can't run Windows 11. It's 6 months old. I enabled secure boot and ftpm in the bios. Still says no, and Windows tpm.msc tells me I have no tpm device. What gives?

B550 with a 3700x.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
That does suck. I suppose their line of thinking is that since 10 is supported for 4 more years they think those of us with older computers will buy new ones by then anyway?

Also, like win7, it seems like a lot of people will end up running 10 beyond its life cycle because of these new hardware requirements......

And just like that, Microsoft created several tons of e-waste with all the PCs and laptops that can't be updated to Win11. For Linux knowledgeable people, they will put Linux on the systems, for the sheeple it becomes e-waste or a listing on ebay, facebook or craigslist. Way to go "pro-environmentalist" companies with moves like this and making things hard to repair.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I'm going to leave this here, particularly since it's been mentioned in an earlier post:

TLDR: No TPM if you edit the .iso.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shmee

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Microsoft management seems so detached from common sense at times:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-compatibility-checker-new-update-error
Microsoft has released an update to the Windows 11 PC Health Check App with more detailed messaging on why a computer may not be able to update. The messages include lack of TPM, secure boot being turned off, too small a system disk or an unsupported processor.

"Sorry for the irritating experience!” Steve Dispensa, the VP of PM for Microsoft Endpoint Manager and Windows Commercial, tweeted in response to a complaint about the upgrade tool. “We're going to improve the PC Health Check app over the next couple of weeks. Hopeful that the first update will be out tomorrow.”

Why wouldn't the first thing they think of before releasing the upgrade tool to the public be "It will tell people exactly why their PC won't be able to be updated, right?". Was there not one person of management who even brought this idea up?

:rolleyes:

ithehappy

Oct 13, 2013
I have a 6700k sitting on a Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. There's no TPM option anywhere in BIOS. If I run tpm.msc it shows via cmd it shows compatible TPM cannot be found.

So I take that my system is 'so old' that it will not officially be compatible for Windows 11?

I'm very confused!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have a 6700k sitting on a Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard. There's no TPM option anywhere in BIOS. If I run tpm.msc it shows via cmd it shows compatible TPM cannot be found.

So I take that my system is 'so old' that it will not officially be compatible for Windows 11?

I'm very confused!
In the article I linked to above your post, the person ran the updated utility using a 6700K, and as of right now, it told them they would not be able to install Windows 11.
Tom's Hardware staff writer Michelle Ehrhardt took her PC with an Intel Core i7-6700K, which isn't on the official list of supported processors, through the health check, and was told she'll have to stay on Windows 10.

Reactions: ithehappy

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014

Not necessarily, I just enabled PTT on 6600K / Z170 board. Had to update the BIOS though. The system still fails the Win 11 check, but since I'm booting in legacy mode I expect that to be the problem instead.
Screenshot 2021-06-25 234717.png

Reactions: ithehappy

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Why wouldn't the first thing they think of before releasing the upgrade tool to the public be "It will tell people exactly why their PC won't be able to be updated, right?".
It gets better, here's how much more details it's offering me:

1624654568941.png

I'm so glad I'll keep getting updates, Microsoft management does know how to write a reassuring message.