Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Looks like a boring "game." Open world games usually are taxing on modern hardware at 4K, are they not? I noticed in the video that @quikah posted the guy had a 3900X. The 3900X isn't the best gaming processor, isn't it? And while 4K usually places a lot more burden on a GPU, I'd like to see the same "benchmark" done with a 10900K.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looks like a boring "game." Open world games usually are taxing on modern hardware at 4K, are they not? I noticed in the video that @quikah posted the guy had a 3900X. The 3900X isn't the best gaming processor, isn't it? And while 4K usually places a lot more burden on a GPU, I'd like to see the same "benchmark" done with a 10900K.

It's a realistic civilian flight simulator. It's not going to be a thrilling roller coaster ride. Even the old Flight Unlimited games (which were focused on gliders and aerobatics) required that you enjoy the mere act of flying. It's okay not to like it, but boring? Not if you're the target market!

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
The 3900X isn't the best gaming processor, isn't it? And while 4K usually places a lot more burden on a GPU, I'd like to see the same "benchmark" done with a 10900K.

Based on other benchmarks of currently available games, I doubt there will be a noticeable difference between those CPUs, other things being equal. Guess we will know soon enough. :)

-KeithP

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its a flight simulator.

Reactions: sze5003

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
It's a realistic civilian flight simulator. It's not going to be a thrilling roller coaster ride. Even the old Flight Unlimited games (which were focused on gliders and aerobatics) required that you enjoy the mere act of flying. It's okay not to like it, but boring? Not if you're the target market!

i'm so psyched about this game

been playing flight games since red baron in the early 90s

eventually i started preferring planes without guns, it's just nice and relaxing

i'm not a hyper-realistic simmer though

Last edited:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
i'm so psyched about this game

been playing flight games since red baron in the early 90s

eventually i started preferring planes without guns, it's just nice and relaxing

i'm not a hyper-realistic simmer though

I'm excited too. I played one of the early ones back in the 286 days and remember designing my own craft and then it crashing horribly. Spent many hours with just that one aspect of the game.

Plus since I have Game Pass, why not?

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm excited too. I played one of the early ones back in the 286 days and remember designing my own craft and then it crashing horribly. Spent many hours with just that one aspect of the game.

Plus since I have Game Pass, why not?
I was considering I can get it on steam. But I also have game pass for a few more months. I do want all the airports just in case.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I was considering I can get it on steam. But I also have game pass for a few more months. I do want all the airports just in case.

I'm sure it will be on sale at some point so play for "free" and then pick it up down the road if you don't keep Game Pass.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

yeah i got the version with all the airports/planes, even though i know i would've probably been able to get them all for a lot cheaper had i just waited for a sale in the future

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm sure it will be on sale at some point so play for "free" and then pick it up down the road if you don't keep Game Pass.
yeah i got the version with all the airports/planes, even though i know i would've probably been able to get them all for a lot cheaper had i just waited for a sale in the future
As long as there is no difference between when the MS version and steam Verizon receives updates, I'll keep the MS version with game pass.

A digital foundry review said the game automatically recognizes your inputs. I have a warthog A10C replica throttle which I think it will find but I also have a military flight rig setup so it may not find my custom stick.

I really want to replace my Reverb headset with a reverb G2 so I can use VR when it releases. Since other headsets won't be supported until later.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Anyone's who's got access to play the beta I've been waiting for years to ask this: Are the airport terminals and most of the downtown city buildings fairly detailed as you get close to them? I'm not demanding detailed windows and walls withing 100 feet. Just want to know if it's sharp looking as you get reasonably close to structures and terrain when you fly at lower altitudes.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Good thing I get to try it out since it's in game pass. Not sure how I'll work out the camera because I don't have my track ir hooked up and I don't even know where it is to be honest.

Achilles97

May 10, 2000
Thanks for mentioning the game pass - I'm probably going to go that route. Like you, I have no idea where my TrackIR is and my HOTAS under some pile in the closet.

Any opinions on stick + rudder pedals VS yoke wheel for this game? Thanks!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have the the thrustmaster tfrp pedals for now. A vkb mcg pro stick and a replica A10C throttle. Should work fine for MS flight Simulator even though most of my experience in simulators have been for military flying.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
i got the tfrp's as well, they seem decent if a bit plasticky

haven't had them for long though to see about durability
They are plasticky but they were the most affordable at the time. My father has saitek ones but I think those also were plastic. The TFRP pedals are not so smooth though after some use. Sometimes they need to be unplugged and replugged in to get them Calibrated back to normal. But then again I have a lot of other inputs plugged in all the time.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I bought the PZ44 a while back, it is plastic and feels like plastic but its good enough for a guy like me. I dont forsee myself investing in a solid metal set-up as a filthy casual.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
One thing I like about 2020 flight sim now is the interactive check list. I still am going to have a lot of trouble managing the camera with a HOTAS since there is no VR support yet.

I think I did see in a video that if you click the show item on the checklist it will take you to it so I think this will help.

Unfortunately if I want VR I need to get the Reverb G2 since that will be the first headset to support MS flight 2020.