Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I got Flight Simulator X and have been surprised that nothing better seems to be out there...even now. It looks like Microsoft is getting close to releasing 2020 in the next year... It may be time for me to build a new decked-out PC.

I've been out of the PC market because I switched to console gaming with Xbox 360/XB1 and just didn't want to maintain PC's anymore. I'm guessing I'll probably shoot for whatever the fastest i7 Processor is with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD with maybe a much larger SATA RAID array on the back end for long-term storage (so I don't have to rely on a NAS) and can do file transfers on the bus instead of the network.

Can anyone tell me what the best video cards are these days? I was always running nVidia chips on a few different models of cards back in the old days...Just curious what the new technologies and best brands are now.

Attachments

• Ascending-through-the-clouds.jpg
    Ascending-through-the-clouds.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 9
  • XO_CJ4_04-1.jpg
    XO_CJ4_04-1.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 11
  • XO_CJ4_03-1.jpg
    XO_CJ4_03-1.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 12
  • XO_DA62.jpg
    XO_DA62.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 12
Reactions: bigi

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Why the heck is this not called FSXX?

Anyway,wait for it to come out to read some reviews so you can make an informed decision.If we are lucky we might even have new GPUs available when it launches.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Why the heck is this not called FSXX?

Anyway,wait for it to come out to read some reviews so you can make an informed decision.If we are lucky we might even have new GPUs available when it launches.
I'm in no big hurry to build a system. I'm going to want to setup a whole office and get Internet in my house again before I jump through those hoops... It might even be cool to setup multiple TV's as displays and make a REAL simulator-style cockpit in 4k since so many large TVs are cheap these days.

I really posted here to see if anyone else cares about flight sims anymore. They're kind of low-energy fun when no one's trying to shoot you down. I really enjoyed flying cessnas in real life, then replaying the experience on FSX....it wasn't the same as the real thing, but they did pretty good with mechanics. I have a logitec joystick with feedback, so it was fun fighting the controller in certain conditions/situations....

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
I will be keeping an eye on it. I have never been a big flight sim fan with the exception being Flight Simulator.

-KeithP

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Can anyone tell me what the best video cards are these days? I was always running nVidia chips on a few different models of cards back in the old days...Just curious what the new technologies and best brands are now.
Nvidia is still around, with AMD nipping at their heels. A Titan RTX will set you back $2500, while the RTX 2080ti runs $1100 and up. There are 2080, 2070, 2060 super which just came out.

AMD just released the Radeon RX 5700, and the 5700 XT. They have other cards, but I'm not up on them.

I look forward to seeing how Flight Simulator 2020 will run with ray tracing.:p

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It really looks incredible.

Not sure how it would run on my Radeon R9 390. That card has been good to me since I got it a couple years ago; runs most games at 1080p, high quality and they run smooth. For the new Flight Sim game though, haha, probably not. I'd think it could still run it in at least mid quality though. Thankfully I got that card just before they shot up to ridiculous prices due to that mining bullshit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For those who have already spent a crapload of money on yokes and pedals, this will be fine.
I know they are putting it on Xbox but if you think you're going to be playing Microsoft Flight Simulator with a game pad you are SADLY mistaken. It will suck donkey balls.

You arent just buying a game, you are entering a whole world with all its little quirks and eccentricities.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Never been a huge fan of Microsoft flight sim but I remember my dad using it when he was taking flight school lessons. This one looks insanely detailed even though I prefer to stick to military aviation. I've got a hotas and pedals so I will be giving it a shot. But I'll sure need a new gpu by the time it's out.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Never been a huge fan of Microsoft flight sim but I remember my dad using it when he was taking flight school lessons. This one looks insanely detailed even though I prefer to stick to military aviation. I've got a hotas and pedals so I will be giving it a shot. But I'll sure need a new gpu by the time it's out.
I was taking lessons for a while and thought it was pretty neat practicing the approaches I did in real life on the simulator. Using the buttons to change views on the landing approach legs was nice practice and making sure I squared my turns properly. I never did more than VFR flying real life...but can imagine if I ever went IFR, it'd be nice to practice with the sim.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Me and my saitek x52 are eagerly awaiting its release.
I still have a Logitech Force Feedback Wingman joystick. USB with additional power supply for the feedback motor.

Are there any other joysticks or controls out there with motorized feedback? I barely remember flying simulators without it and can't imagine not having varied levels of resistance when flying.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In High School our flying students did almost everything in the back room on computers using MS Flight Simulator.
They all passed their tests the first time out. So there must be something to it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
In High School our flying students did almost everything in the back room on computers using MS Flight Simulator.
They all passed their tests the first time out. So there must be something to it.
Yea it's a great tool for learning. It's very similar to the live lesson I took in a small Cessna. I'll be using it with VR so it should be really nice with the new updates.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Dang it I keep forgetting to run the system test and submit it so I can complete my alpha/beta signup. Ok I'll do it when I get home

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Dang it I keep forgetting to run the system test and submit it so I can complete my alpha/beta signup. Ok I'll do it when I get home
I didn't even know that was a thing. I'll also have to do it now when I'm home this weekend. Would very much like to try the beta. I hope by then I'll have the HP Reverb. I've been wanting to replace my Odyssey with that but just haven't been on my PC much lately.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I didn't even know that was a thing. I'll also have to do it now when I'm home this weekend. Would very much like to try the beta. I hope by then I'll have the HP Reverb. I've been wanting to replace my Odyssey with that but just haven't been on my PC much lately.
Yeah I heard about it from Twitter; Thrustmaster tweeted it out last week I think.

And of course. I FORGOT TO DO IT. My brain is crap

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I remember trying to takeoff from laguardia airport in a 747. Was really hard and I ended up in the river.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I could get a 747 to take off from Boeing Field but landing... it never ended well.

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
I saw an extended preview for this and I am very excited for this game! I might have to assemble a new computer to get the most out of this. Your own houses will be in the game to fly by! How cool will this be?!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I watched a YouTube vid on the new Flight Simulator; I think it must've came up in my Recommended list. Looks to be quite awesome!

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I signed up for their insider program so hopefully when they have a beta I'll get to try it out in VR.