Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's a bummer but I have a stick and throttle either way. I do also have track ir but I haven't used it since I've switched to vr.

Skyhawk70

Nov 24, 2019
I got Flight Simulator X and have been surprised that nothing better seems to be out there...even now. It looks like Microsoft is getting close to releasing 2020 in the next year... It may be time for me to build a new decked-out PC.

I've been out of the PC market because I switched to console gaming with Xbox 360/XB1 and just didn't want to maintain PC's anymore. I'm guessing I'll probably shoot for whatever the fastest i7 Processor is with 32GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD with maybe a much larger SATA RAID array on the back end for long-term storage (so I don't have to rely on a NAS) and can do file transfers on the bus instead of the network.

Can anyone tell me what the best video cards are these days? I was always running nVidia chips on a few different models of cards back in the old days...Just curious what the new technologies and best brands are now.
do u know when its actually being released plz

Skyhawk70

Nov 24, 2019
No one knows yet. They started alpha testing I think and were doing a second round soon. I'm gonna guess Summer/Fall.
Thanks :) not much point in buying it yet then Im not smart enough to test it out
but i cant wait to try it i loved FSX cant make it work in windows 10 though sadly

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Skyhawk70

Nov 24, 2019
I'm in no big hurry to build a system. I'm going to want to setup a whole office and get Internet in my house again before I jump through those hoops... It might even be cool to setup multiple TV's as displays and make a REAL simulator-style cockpit in 4k since so many large TVs are cheap these days.

I really posted here to see if anyone else cares about flight sims anymore. They're kind of low-energy fun when no one's trying to shoot you down. I really enjoyed flying cessnas in real life, then replaying the experience on FSX....it wasn't the same as the real thing, but they did pretty good with mechanics. I have a logitec joystick with feedback, so it was fun fighting the controller in certain conditions/situations....
Hi ive flown a Cessna a few times too and i find that Saitek controls r far harder to manage than the real things Ive only had 6 landings so far but thats the best part of flying lol

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Glad I found this post. This might be the game that gets me back to PC gaming. Looking forward to it.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The game is getting work done.

Also they apparently sent out invites for the Alpha a while back but nobody here was talking about it.
Game looks acceptable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Allegedly they have mapped the entire planet and you can fly on it.

Either by streaming or pre-caching. if your internet sucks then you get procedurally generated maps.
The base version of the game is 150GB.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I totally forgot to finish the signup for the alpha. I was under the impression that I could use VR but I guess not yet.

Feb 4, 2009
I haven’t followed this much, what will the flight model be?
I know there is a hardcore realistic but will there be an “easy” relaxing mode?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I haven’t followed this much, what will the flight model be?
I know there is a hardcore realistic but will there be an “easy” relaxing mode?
Yeah you have to watch a bunch of vids but at some point they make it clear theres gonna be plenty of modes and options so people of all skill levels can enjoy.

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah you have to watch a bunch of vids but at some point they make it clear theres gonna be plenty of modes and options so people of all skill levels can enjoy.

Cool not my type of game but my wife loves this stuff. Particularly big passenger jets.
She’s totally addicted to “Air Disasters” too.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Coming August 18th, prices announced…
Pre-orders are now live and FS 2020 will come in three editions, standard ($59.99), deluxe ($89.99) and premium deluxe ($119.99), with the more expensive versions featuring more planes and handcrafted international airports.

That $120 gets you only 30 planes and 40 airports. The planes I kinda expected but I am surprised at the airport number. This is clearly something MS intends to turn into a cash cow. I see an endless amount of "airport packs" in FS users future.

Update: Apparently these are "handcrafted airports" the implication being other airports will be useable but they will be less detailed. I haven't seen a detailed explanation of this yet.

Airport List
Airports_Flight-Sim.jpg

-KeithP

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranulf

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

That $120 gets you only 30 planes and 40 airports. The planes I kinda expected but I am surprised at the airport number. This is clearly something MS intends to turn into a cash cow. I see an endless amount of "airport packs" in FS users future.

Update: Apparently these are "handcrafted airports" the implication being other airports will be useable but they will be less detailed. I haven't seen a detailed explanation of this yet.

Airport List
Airports_Flight-Sim.jpg

-KeithP
Remember this is coming out on Xbox as well as PC. I'm sure the airports as DLC will be pretty huge as they have more time to add details and updates (as the real world changes). I noticed there aren't many big US hubs included....like ATL or CLT or DFW or SLC... Hopefully they have some decent models.

I may get the Xbox version before dropping coin on a gaming PC afterall for this. I'm still trying to decide.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

Airport List
Airports_Flight-Sim.jpg

-KeithP

hmmmm i am really itching to get the premium version

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
If they add on VR support I already have a hotas system so I'll definitely get the premium version to get everything.

Similar model to DCS where they sell you different jets/maps except I expect better quality from MS.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Just too much money and they still need punishment for things like Age of Empires Online. I'm guessing discounting might not be high for years, though.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
no the honeycomb alpha is a flight yoke model, i have heard good things:

they were supposed to have the bravo throttle ready by now, but COVID has delayed it somewhat so i might go with a cheaper logitech g throttle
I bought a Logitech Wingman Force Feedback 3D for FSX. It was great because you could feel appropriate force when in a dive or doing rolls. It actually helped make the big jets feel more accurate when they drifted. I hope someone develops something similar...stick or yoke. Springs just aren't as cool.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
no the honeycomb alpha is a flight yoke model, i have heard good things:

they were supposed to have the bravo throttle ready by now, but COVID has delayed it somewhat so i might go with a cheaper logitech g throttle
I use a thrustmaster wharthog throttle and a vkb mcg flight stick. I mainly test missions created for a military sim but it should work fine for ms flight simulator too.

Last edited: