Mexican trucks to start rolling into the US Saturday.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Gneisenau
Originally posted by: IGBT
..where's the fusking liberals on this issue?? seems like the Teamsters got screwed by the very people they supported.

IMO,The chances the Teamsters ever support a Rep candidate is nil. There is no reason for the Dems to expend any effort to support them. It's better for them to expend their effort increasing their voter base. Sad really, but true.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. And not only are the teamsters not going to switch sides to the Republicans any time soon, but support of unions has always been a problem for Democrats among non-union folks. In any case, the Hispanic voting block is going to become very important in the next several years, and the Democrats are well on their way to almost completely locking up the Hispanic vote. President Bush seems to be the only Republican who understands why the Republican party should make an effort to be seen as more pro-immigration and pro-Hispanic. Being the party of middle-class white Christians only works as long as middle-class white Christians are the majority of the population.

Bush being pro-immigration and pro-Hispanic alone should tell you something is wrong with it. ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Rainsford
..where's the fusking liberals on this issue?? seems like the Teamsters got screwed by the very people they supported.

And for that matter, why do conservatives oppose this? Isn't this just the free market in action? Since when do you guys support the teamsters?

..I'm a democrat and support American Truckers.

I'm a Conservative and support American Truckers. I don't support the Teamsters though. But if they happen to have the same position on an issue as I do - great. Just because we normally don't agree doesn't mean we can't ever agree.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: waggy
1st) whats the problem? they are bringing goods from mexico to US right? its not going to take away all US truckers jobs. hell not even a very many.

yes they are taking away jobs. the goods now are taken to the border and American truckers pick up the loads for transport into the us. Clinton banned mexican trucks back in 1995 due to safety concerns.

2) you would think by now people would learn that Bush really does not give a shit (saying that i voted for the bastard both times. wish i had a time machine and go change it). IF its not something that is going to increase his power he really does not care or understand.

yes i voted for him both times as well.

I sense some injustice here, why doesn't Mexico allow US truckers to pick up in Mexico? Why mus American trucks be blocked from crossing in to Mexico, but Mexican trucks can freely cross in to America with a full load (of Aliens), then dump their load and (eh-hem: never) head home?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Click ME!!!

ROFL! I can just see it now...a bunch of low-rider semis with the dingle-balls in the windows and a little chihuahua with blinking light/eyes for turn-signals...

All of them with 40" wheels and black rubberbands for tires...playing "La Cucaracha" flea-market music through loudspeakers mounted on top....

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Googer

I sense some injustice here, why doesn't Mexico allow US truckers to pick up in Mexico?

Why must American trucks be blocked from crossing in to Mexico, but Mexican trucks can freely cross in to America with a full load (of Aliens), then dump their load and (eh-hem: never) head home?

Good question.

Who in here is a NAFTA expert?

Ross Perot do you post in here?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

I sense some injustice here, why doesn't Mexico allow US truckers to pick up in Mexico?

Why must American trucks be blocked from crossing in to Mexico, but Mexican trucks can freely cross in to America with a full load (of Aliens), then dump their load and (eh-hem: never) head home?

Good question.

Actually there is an article today showing that American Trucks will be rolling into Mexico:

9-7-2007 Truckers protest Mexican competition

LAREDO, Texas - Dozens of truckers rallied at Mexican border crossings in California and Texas Thursday to protest a pilot program to allow up to 100 Mexican trucking companies to haul their cargo anywhere in the United States.

Carrying signs reading "NAFTA Kills" and "Unsafe Mexican Trucks," a few dozen protesters circled in the heat for two hours at Laredo's port of entry on the U.S.-Mexico border.

So far, 38 Mexican trucking firms have been prescreened to go anywhere in the U.S., Hill said.

Mexico has also committed to allow as many as 100 U.S. firms anywhere in Mexico by the end of this year, he said, and 14 are poised to receive permission.

Sacrilege

Sep 6, 2007

Good question.

Actually there is an article today showing that American Trucks will be rolling into Mexico:

LAREDO, Texas - Dozens of truckers rallied at Mexican border crossings in California and Texas Thursday to protest a pilot program to allow up to 100 Mexican trucking companies to haul their cargo anywhere in the United States.

Carrying signs reading "NAFTA Kills" and "Unsafe Mexican Trucks," a few dozen protesters circled in the heat for two hours at Laredo's port of entry on the U.S.-Mexico border.

So far, 38 Mexican trucking firms have been prescreened to go anywhere in the U.S., Hill said.

Mexico has also committed to allow as many as 100 U.S. firms anywhere in Mexico by the end of this year, he said, and 14 are poised to receive permission.

And Canadian trucks have been driving throughout the United States for years as part of NAFTA. Why the double standard toward Mexicans?

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Sacrilege

Good question.

And Canadian trucks have been driving throughout the United States for years as part of NAFTA. Why the double standard toward Mexicans?

You don?t see the difference between Canada and Mexico.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Good question.

blackguy icon with 2 post, must be a spammer.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: OrganizedChaos
let them in. the DOT cops will fine them to the point of unprofitability.

Bwhahahahahahahhahahahha
yea right.

/wipes tears of laughter from my eyes

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Good question.

You know the answer to that. It's racism plain and simple. Mexicans are the new buggieman for America. Everyone thinks they're going to rape their children and kill during their sleep. It's one thing hating illegal immigrants because they're breaking the law. But what's going on here is completely legal and regulated yet we're still crying foul.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Ktulu

Good question.

You know the answer to that. It's racism plain and simple. Mexicans are the new buggieman for America. Everyone thinks they're going to rape their children and kill during their sleep. It's one thing hating illegal immigrants because they're breaking the law. But what's going on here is completely legal and regulated yet we're still crying foul.

There you go the grand old race card.

I think there are major differences between the way each country regulates its truck drivers and vehicles. There is no system to monitor whats really happening on the Mexican side of things. We are talking about a country where corruption is king, who is going to trust some Mexican truck company to play by the rules just for starters.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: rpanic

Good question.

I think there are major differences between the way each country regulates its truck drivers and vehicles. There is no system to monitor whats really happening on the Mexican side of things. We are talking about a country where corruption is king, who is going to trust some Mexican truck company to play by the rules just for starters.

Right, but they're inspected as they come in. Everyone is just assuming that because they're Mexican they're automatically unsafe, don't know how to drive and idiots. What do you really know about Mexican truck drivers or Mexicans at all. NOTHING. And don't start talking about Mexicans being corrupt when there's absurds amount of corruption and hypocrisies going on in this country as we speak. IT IS racism and you'll never be able convince me otherwise.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006

Good question.

It really doesnt matter what anyone in this thread thinks.

The United States has been violating United States law and international law for over a decade. The WTO sides(rightfully so) with Mexico. The only option the US has would be to pull out of NAFTA, but that would cause a hell of a lot more problems than mexican truckers in the US.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

Good question.

when was mexican added to the list of human races? i must have been neffing because i missed the memo. please tell me i would really really like to know why you think mexican is a race.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Right, but they're inspected as they come in. Everyone is just assuming that because they're Mexican they're automatically unsafe, don't know how to drive and idiots. What do you really know about Mexican truck drivers or Mexicans at all. NOTHING. And don't start talking about Mexicans being corrupt when there's absurds amount of corruption and hypocrisies going on in this country as we speak. IT IS racism and you'll never be able convince me otherwise.

Mexico is corrupt are you saying it isn't? if pulling the race card is your only argument then you are weak.

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Wreckem

The United States has been violating United States law and international law for over a decade. The WTO sides(rightfully so) with Mexico. The only option the US has would be to pull out of NAFTA, but that would cause a hell of a lot more problems than mexican truckers in the US.

Yeah, the xenophobes don't really matter because this is going to happen regardless because we signed the treaty over a decade ago.

I still don't see how freer trade = loss of sovereignty...

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

Good question.

Yeah, the xenophobes don't really matter because this is going to happen regardless because we signed the treaty over a decade ago.

its not a treaty its a agreement. North American free trade AGREEMENT.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Mexico is corrupt are you saying it isn't? if pulling the race card is your only argument then you are weak.

I'm saying us calling Mexico corrupt is hypocritical coming from our country. Corruption is rampant anywhere in the world.

Originally posted by: babylon5
Thank god American truck drivers will lose their jobs, saids race card wavers.

They haven't been losing there jobs to Canadians, so why would they lose them to inferior Mexicans? And where in my post did I say I would like American truck drivers to lose there jobs?

HombrePequeno

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by: HombrePequeno

its not a treaty its a agreement. North American free trade AGREEMENT.

Yeah and if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck but the government tries calling it a rhino, it's still a fvcking duck.

You probably believe the 'free trade' part in NAFTA too, don't you?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

[/quote]

Yeah and if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck but the government tries calling it a rhino, it's still a fvcking duck.

You probably believe the 'free trade' part in NAFTA too, don't you?[/quote]

Uh? :confused: