Mexican trucks to start rolling into the US Saturday.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

babylon5

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2000
Place you bets now: Number of days it take before Mexican trucks get into deadly accident on American freeways because of language barrier and/or truck safety failed

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: piasabird
I think we should just close our southern border and move the Army down there to protect it. No travel to Mexico, Nothing. Cut off all mail to Mexico and block all money transfers to Mexico.

South of our border there is almost nothing down there of redeeming value as far as I am concerned. Mexico is so corrupt that they are not worth dealing with.

I think we would be better off trading with Cuba.

The only good thing to come out of Mexico is the quisine...;)

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
When did we give this fucking country away? Anyone have the exact date? This pisses me off so bad.

All we have heard for the past 5 years is how America is under attack and now we open the borders to trucks and foreigners.

Fuck these sleazy politicians.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I think we should just close our southern border and move the Army down there to protect it. No travel to Mexico, Nothing. Cut off all mail to Mexico and block all money transfers to Mexico.

South of our border there is almost nothing down there of redeeming value as far as I am concerned. Mexico is so corrupt that they are not worth dealing with.

The only good thing to come out of Mexico is the quisine...;)

dude...mexicanas rock...

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
This is great news. This will increase competition and lower prices for consumers.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
I just heard it on the radio. Supposedly NPR reported it but i can not find a link. If this is true then Bush just shat on Labor day and every American worker/trucker.

links being posted now on news sites.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/w...rs-trucks_N.htm?csp=34

humm congress is gone, its labor day weekend. and bush does this. what a traitor. a crap load of american truckers just lost their jobs. sad day in America.

Don`t you think your topic title is at best misleading and at worst show you have no clue what Sovereignty is.....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: JEDIYoda
Originally posted by: Citrix
I just heard it on the radio. Supposedly NPR reported it but i can not find a link. If this is true then Bush just shat on Labor day and every American worker/trucker.

links being posted now on news sites.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/w...rs-trucks_N.htm?csp=34

humm congress is gone, its labor day weekend. and bush does this. what a traitor. a crap load of american truckers just lost their jobs. sad day in America.

Don`t you think your topic title is at best misleading and at worst show you have no clue what Sovereignty is.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mi49tvs8jp8

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Originally posted by: Ktulu

Why stop there? Why not India as well they've stolen a bunch of our jobs to you know.

Was that sarcasm?

Sorry, my detector just blew up on my face!

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: bctbct
When did we give this fucking country away?

Anyone have the exact date?

This pisses me off so bad.

All we have heard for the past 5 years is how America is under attack and now we open the borders to trucks and foreigners.

Fuck these sleazy politicians.

Jan 20 2001.

The day the biggest sellout of all sat in the Oval Office.

Yes, other Presidents before him were involved in the sellout too especially Bill Clinton with the NAFTA crap but the GOP took it to whole new heights rather than trying to repeal or fix the problem.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Originally posted by: waggy
1st) whats the problem? they are bringing goods from mexico to US right? its not going to take away all US truckers jobs. hell not even a very many.

2) you would think by now people would learn that Bush really does not give a shit (saying that i voted for the bastard both times. wish i had a time machine and go change it). IF its not something that is going to increase his power he really does not care or understand.

wtf? think man

how safe are the mexican trucks?

how safe are the mexican drivers?

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Braznor

Why stop there? Why not India as well they've stolen a bunch of our jobs to you know.

Was that sarcasm?

Sorry, my detector just blew up on my face!

Lol, I thought my post was smothered with it.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: JEDI

What makes a Mexican truck or driver any different than an American?

Global Economy remember?

Have you ever driven in Mexico before? It's like night and day.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Global Economy remember?

Dave, MAYBE you get a "better class of Mexicans" there in Oklahoma, (I doubt it, but...) however most of the ones we get here in Kahleeforneeya have enough problem driving a Honda Civic or Ford F-150...I'd HATE to see them behind the wheel of a big-rig...

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: child of wonder
The solution to the illegal immigrant problem seems pretty simple. The government should drastically increase fines for hiring illegals to a level high enough so that it's no longer profitable for companies to hire illegals anymore.

While this is a solution that would seem to help in theory, in reality, I think you'd see the law of unintended consequences rear its ugly head. Employers, not wishing to face heavy fines, would be unwilling to hire illegal aliens, and moreso, anyone they suspected was an illegal alien. The thing is, illegal aliens don't just walk into a job somewhere with no documentation; they have fake documents so they can fill out I-9s and W-2s or what have you so they can get a job. So the companies, worried about high fines, would start turning away people, regardless of the documentation they provide, because they can't trust the documents aren't forgeries. This would deprive legal immigrants and American citizens of jobs based solely on race as Latino people would be the most heavily suspected of being illegal immigrants (and thus turned away even if they are here legally). That's not good.

Not to mention, illegal aliens don't only cross the border for jobs. There is also health care, which is fairly abysmal in Mexico, and lots of social services, like education (among other things). It's not just employment that brings people across the border.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The US Government can stop people from coming from India any time it wants. However, they can just as easily work in india. They dont have to come here to take our jobs. They actually make more money coming here, but that takes an H1b visa which we have to issue them. That is a little different issue. With the visa problem we are giving them preference to come here because Large corporations are bribing our officials. They just hide the bribery as campaign contributions.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Global Economy remember?

Dave, MAYBE you get a "better class of Mexicans" there in Oklahoma, (I doubt it, but...) however most of the ones we get here in Kahleeforneeya have enough problem driving a Honda Civic or Ford F-150...I'd HATE to see them behind the wheel of a big-rig...

Seriously dude, not all Mexicans are the same. You can pretty much assume the ones that are flocking here illegally aren't exactly the cream of the crop. I guarantee you that if you met me in person you wouldn't even suspect me of being of Mexican decent and growing up in Mexican invested ghettos.

And the only time my dad has gotten into an accident while driving his rig was caused by a Caucasian driver who actually fled the scene.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Global Economy remember?

Seriously dude, not all Mexicans are the same. You can pretty much assume the ones that are flocking here illegally aren't exactly the cream of the crop. I guarantee you that if you met me in person you wouldn't even suspect me of being of Mexican decent and growing up in Mexican invested ghettos.

And the only time my dad has gotten into an accident while driving his rig was caused by a Caucasian driver who actually fled the scene.

Du-ude, I fully understand and agree with the section of your comment I bolded. Quite a few of the ones I'm referring to don't even have Mexican drivers licences, let alone be eligible for any of the ones offered by states in the USA. ALSO, I'm NOT referring so much to the legal immigrants, many of them are good, honest, hard-working people who just happen to be of Mexican decent. (perhaps like your family). Here in Kahleeforneeya, the illegals aren't allowed to get drivers licenses, (therefore no insurance), MANY of them have never had a Mexican drivers license, or any REAL driving experience...They'er usually the ones who drive down the freeway going 35-40 MPH...or down the main arterial at 10 or so mph less than the posted speed. I don't know if it's that they've never driven anywhere they didn't have cactus to bounce off of or what...;) or if maybe that "Chebby" handles differently than the donkey they learned on...:roll:

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Global Economy remember?

Du-ude, I fully understand and agree with the section of your comment I bolded. Quite a few of the ones I'm referring to don't even have Mexican drivers licences, let alone be eligible for any of the ones offered by states in the USA. ALSO, I'm NOT referring so much to the legal immigrants, many of them are good, honest, hard-working people who just happen to be of Mexican decent. (perhaps like your family). Here in Kahleeforneeya, the illegals aren't allowed to get drivers licenses, (therefore no insurance), MANY of them have never had a Mexican drivers license, or any REAL driving experience...They'er usually the ones who drive down the freeway going 35-40 MPH...or down the main arterial at 10 or so mph less than the posted speed. I don't know if it's that they've never driven anywhere they didn't have cactus to bounce off of or what...;) or if maybe that "Chebby" handles differently than the donkey they learned on...:roll:

I think it's mainly that they got their driving skills in Mexico and if you've driven in Mexico you soon realize it's pretty much accepted to drive like a jackass, seriously.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Bush is bound by law to allow this.

This was part of NAFTA that Bush Sr and Clinton rammed down the throat of America. The US has been in violation of NAFTA for several years now, IIRC Mexican trucks were supposed to be allowed on American Roads by 2001 or maybe it was 2003.

The US can keep stalling, but eventually the WTO would start fining the US violating NAFTA.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
What happens if they get into wrecks? Are they insured?

No, in fact they will probably shoot you and steal your stereo and hubcaps :roll:

"Xenophobia" does not even begin to cover the bizarre fear people seem to have of Mexicans. I can understand complaints about illegal immigrants, but these are professional truck drivers working for Mexican companies and working with American companies.

WoofyJr

Jul 31, 2002

Aww, america is really screwed a big time... They are going to allow more illeagl immigrants and possibly terrorists into america easily by hiding in the truckers.... It means that they will spend more $$$ on border inspection/security. What's wrong with us government lately.