Mexican trucks to start rolling into the US Saturday.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I just heard it on the radio. Supposedly NPR reported it but i can not find a link. If this is true then Bush just shat on Labor day and every American worker/trucker.

links being posted now on news sites.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/w...rs-trucks_N.htm?csp=34

humm congress is gone, its labor day weekend. and bush does this. what a traitor. a crap load of american truckers just lost their jobs. sad day in America.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
1st) whats the problem? they are bringing goods from mexico to US right? its not going to take away all US truckers jobs. hell not even a very many.

2) you would think by now people would learn that Bush really does not give a shit (saying that i voted for the bastard both times. wish i had a time machine and go change it). IF its not something that is going to increase his power he really does not care or understand.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
So are you (OP) against all goods and products from Mexico as well as the illegal immigrants that swarm here from that country? Hopefully you are not so short sighted as to not be able to see the difference. I don't like illegal immigrant Mexicans coming here one bit but that does not mean I believe we should not have trade with Mexico. Long as they deliver their goods then turn around and go right back to Mexico, what's the problem? But I do wonder how long before we start hearing about 18 wheelers from Mexico being pulled over and the police finding the trailers stuffed full of illegal immigrants trying to get in the country. I can almost promise you it will happen sooner or later.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
The solution to the illegal immigrant problem seems pretty simple. The government should drastically increase fines for hiring illegals to a level high enough so that it's no longer profitable for companies to hire illegals anymore.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I don;t mind the mexican trucks so long as they meet any and all US standards for safety (which would be checked by a us agency not in mexico). The drivers know at least basic english skills such as speaking and reading.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Although we need more specifics on this story (I poked around NPR's site and Google as well...cant seem to find anything) there was a memo in February that somewhat outlined this. I did find this

Part of this memo:

Secretary Peters said those Mexican truck companies that may be allowed to participate in the one-year program will all be required to have insurance with a U.S. licensed firm and meet all U.S. safety standards. Companies that meet these standards will be allowed to make international pick up and deliveries only and will not be able to move goods from one U.S. city for delivery to another, haul hazardous materials or transport passengers.

The first Mexican trucks to be authorized under the program will begin traveling beyond U.S. border areas once the initial in-person safety inspections are done and proof-of-insurance verified. Secretary Peters noted that with the announcement of the program, Mexico will begin to consider applications from U.S. trucking firms for licensing rights to operate within Mexico. Approximately 100 U.S. operators would be licensed by Mexico for cross-border operations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, given illegal aliens can get a US driver's license and US insurance as already being talked about in another thread, who know what this means. Somehow, IMHO, safety and legality will be put on the back burner since our lawmakers dont give a rat's ass about who comes across our border.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: waggy
1st) whats the problem?

Quality control, I've heard of it.

2) you would think by now people would learn that Bush really does not give a shit (saying that i voted for the bastard both times. wish i had a time machine and go change it). IF its not something that is going to increase his power he really does not care or understand.

I wish we had a different President, but the two alternatives were pro-amnesty and open borders. What we REALLY direly need is to abolish the two party system so we can get a choice we might actually approve of.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
1st) whats the problem? they are bringing goods from mexico to US right? its not going to take away all US truckers jobs. hell not even a very many.

yes they are taking away jobs. the goods now are taken to the border and American truckers pick up the loads for transport into the us. Clinton banned mexican trucks back in 1995 due to safety concerns.

yes i voted for him both times as well.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: ahurtt
So are you (OP) against all goods and products from Mexico as well as the illegal immigrants that swarm here from that country? Hopefully you are not so short sighted as to not be able to see the difference. I don't like illegal immigrant Mexicans coming here one bit but that does not mean I believe we should not have trade with Mexico. Long as they deliver their goods then turn around and go right back to Mexico, what's the problem? But I do wonder how long before we start hearing about 18 wheelers from Mexico being pulled over and the police finding the trailers stuffed full of illegal immigrants trying to get in the country. I can almost promise you it will happen sooner or later.

no im not against goods from Mexico, the trucks will be coming from the largest sea ports in Mexico and the trucks will be transporting goods from cargo ships that come from all over the world. for you fools who say this will be good for consumers are smoking crack. prices will not go down.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Citrix
I just heard it on the radio. Supposedly NPR reported it but i can not find a link. If this is true then Bush just shat on Labor day and every American worker/trucker.

There are multiple links popping up on news sites:

8-30-2007 Confirmed - Bush Administration unleashing Mexican Trucks Sept 1 on U.S. roads

The Teamsters Union said Wednesday it will ask a federal appeals courts to block the Bush administration's plan to begin allowing Mexican trucks to carry cargo anywhere in the United States.

The union said it has been told by officials in the Transportation Department's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration that the first Mexican trucks will be coming across the border on Saturday.

Supporters of the plan say letting more Mexican trucks on U.S. highways will save American consumers hundreds of millions of dollars.
=====================================
What a load of horseshit.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Ktulu
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
I don;t mind the mexican trucks so long as they meet any and all US standards for safety (which would be checked by a us agency not in mexico). The drivers know at least basic english skills such as speaking and reading.

http://www.myfoxla.com/myfox/p...Code=VSTY&pageId=3.2.1

The vid in this link shows how trucks are being inspected as they cross the border.

what a crock. it isnt 100 trucks, its 100 trucking companies, do the math. also they are going to give the mexican trucks American license plates.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I think you left-wing moonbats (including OP, with his BDS readily apparent) forgot to read the article and note this:

Labor and driver-owner groups have been fighting the measure ? part of the 1994 North American Free Trade Agreement ? since it was first proposed, saying the program will erode highway safety and eliminate U.S. jobs.

Just who was at the helm during NAFTA? Yeah, think about it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
So are you then claiming that Bush Sr. (the guy Clinton beat, remember him?) was AGAINST NAFTA? Hardly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N...n_Free_Trade_Agreement

The agreement was initially pursued by conservative governments in the United States and Canada supportive of free trade, led by Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney, U.S. President George H. W. Bush, and the Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari. The three-nation NAFTA was signed during December 1992, pending its ratification by the legislatures of the three countries.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
So are you then claiming that Bush Sr. (the guy Clinton beat, remember him?) was AGAINST NAFTA? Hardly.

Where did I ever claim that?

I was pointing out that this provision to allow Mexican trucks on U.S. roadways was part of the 1994 NAFTA which was signed under President Bill Clinton.

rpanic

Golden Member
Dec 1, 2006
Cons:
No way of knowing how many hours driver drove before entering US.
Running on dirtier fuel that is not regulated.
Older polluting engines.
Not paying fuel taxes. (Average US Driver pays $16,000)
No reliable drug testing.
No reliable paperwork on driver.

Wages down and Jobs lost.

There are already places were they can drive 25 mile across border and go further than permitted.

From NPR half hour ago, there were more but this is all I can think of right now.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I think we should just close our southern border and move the Army down there to protect it. No travel to Mexico, Nothing. Cut off all mail to Mexico and block all money transfers to Mexico.

South of our border there is almost nothing down there of redeeming value as far as I am concerned. Mexico is so corrupt that they are not worth dealing with.

I think we would be better off trading with Cuba.

xochi

Jan 18, 2000
Originally posted by: piasabird
I think we should just close our southern border and move the Army down there to protect it. No travel to Mexico, Nothing. Cut off all mail to Mexico and block all money transfers to Mexico.

South of our border there is almost nothing down there of redeeming value as far as I am concerned. Mexico is so corrupt that they are not worth dealing with.

Excellent, lets cut off all imports/exports to that Filthy, Evil country that'all show em!!!

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

Why stop there? Why not India as well they've stolen a bunch of our jobs to you know.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Now imports from China will soon be able to be shipped to Mexico and trucked throughout the US without going through US ports (just give it time...it's already been mentioned). Ah, what the hell....we don't need those "service" jobs just as we don't need the "manufacturing" jobs. We're too smart of a country for menial jobs like truck driving.
Those drivers can go back to the college of their choice and move on to the highly educated service jobs.

:roll:

Oh, and anyone thinks that the 10,000 truck drivers from Mexico will simply displace 10,000 US truckdriver jobs, you're delusional. There are thousands of warehouses along border on the US side that currently take Mexican goods for exchange. These warehouses now will not be needed as the goods can simply be trucked to the destination. Big real estate sale along the US/Mexican border soon, heh.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

Where did I ever claim that?

I was pointing out that this provision to allow Mexican trucks on U.S. roadways was part of the 1994 NAFTA which was signed under President Bill Clinton.

I shouldn't have to point out such a simple fact, but he couldn't have signed it if Bush didn't initially sign the agreement and Congress didn't pass it.

From the article I linked to:

the U.S. House passed NAFTA by 234-200 (132 Republicans and 102 Democrats voting in favor, 156 Democrats, 43 Republicans, and 1 independent against).[4] and the U.S. Senate passed it by 61-38

In the Senate, only 10 R's voted against it.

http://www.senate.gov/legislat...3&session=1&vote=00395

Try to lay all the blame on Clinton all you like but it certainly wasn't the D's fault, the majority of them were against it. On the D's side of the aisle 60% of the House and a majority of the Senate voted against NAFTA.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Engineer
Now imports from China will soon be able to be shipped to Mexico and trucked throughout the US without going through US ports (just give it time...it's already been mentioned). Ah, what the hell....we don't need those "service" jobs just as we don't need the "manufacturing" jobs.

We're too smart of a country for menial jobs like truck driving.

Those drivers can go back to the college of their choice and move on to the highly educated service jobs.

:roll:

Oh, and anyone thinks that the 10,000 truck drivers from Mexico will simply displace 10,000 US truckdriver jobs, you're delusional.

There are thousands of warehouses along border on the US side that currently take Mexican goods for exchange.

These warehouses now will not be needed as the goods can simply be trucked to the destination. Big real estate sale along the US/Mexican border soon, heh.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outsourcing (i.e. Offshoring): Sacrificing America's long term future for short term profit....one job at a time.

I'm sure once all the longshoreman at the ports are gone we'll just hand the ports to the Saudis.

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002

1.3 million barrels of oil per day say you are full of it.

:thumbsdown: