Mexican trucks to start rolling into the US Saturday.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, I wonder how many illegals 100 trucking companies can smuggle in? This has exponential possibilities.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
What is it with everyone thinking the truck drivers are going to come and rape their children?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Jaskalas
Originally posted by: waggy
1st) whats the problem?

Quality control, I've heard of it.

2) you would think by now people would learn that Bush really does not give a shit (saying that i voted for the bastard both times. wish i had a time machine and go change it). IF its not something that is going to increase his power he really does not care or understand.

I wish we had a different President, but the two alternatives were pro-amnesty and open borders. What we REALLY direly need is to abolish the two party system so we can get a choice we might actually approve of.

Everyone throws around this "abolish the two-party system" like it's some sort of cure-all. There are downsides to parliamentary systems, not to mention that getting rid of our current political system would require changing nearly all voting laws.

CorCentral

Banned
Feb 11, 2001
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Hmm, I wonder how many illegals 100 trucking companies can smuggle in? This has exponential possibilities.

More money in drugs, screw the illegals! It will be interesting in the next few years to see how this turns out. All I can think of is Violation after Violation on the mexican truckers in the future!....... Hell, even American truckers that have been on the road 20+ years have problems.

My ears will not be deaf on this tone, and I'll vote accordingly when the time comes.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Originally posted by: Oceandevi
What happens if they get into wrecks? Are they insured?

No, in fact they will probably shoot you and steal your stereo and hubcaps :roll:

"Xenophobia" does not even begin to cover the bizarre fear people seem to have of Mexicans. I can understand complaints about illegal immigrants, but these are professional truck drivers working for Mexican companies and working with American companies.

Here in Kahleeforneeya, we already have lots of these "professional truck drivers" who are working for American trucking companies of one kind or another, especially during harvest time...Many should not be allowed to drive a bicycle, let alone a big-rig. Are there some who are decent drivers? Yes, but they're the exception, not the rule. We'll see how this ends up over the next few months/years. Hopefully, all the "doom-saying" will be just that, and these drivers will do their jobs professionally, the companies they work for will stay on top of maintenance, and the drug and people smugglers don't start filling these trucks up with their products.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://www.reuters.com/article.../idUSN0129981820070901

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration can proceed with a plan to open the U.S. border to long haul Mexican trucks as early as next week after an appeals court rejected a bid by labor, consumer and environmental interests to block the initiative.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco late on Friday denied an emergency petition sought by the Teamsters union, the Sierra Club and consumer group Public Citizen to halt the start of a one-year pilot program that was approved by Congress after years of legal and political wrangling.

The Transportation Department welcomed the decision and said in a statement that allowing more direct shipments from Mexico will benefit U.S. consumers.

I so love Bush. He always has Americans best interests at heart.

Not.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I welcome all things Mexican to flow freely into our country.

Give them another decade or two, and the Latino community will be a sizable voting bloc in the US.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Give them another decade or two, and the Latino community will be a sizable voting bloc in the US.

All voting Dem of course.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Sinsear

Wouldn't they vote Republican, with all the support Bush has shown them (Mexi-Trucks, Amnesty, N.A.U.)?

sierrita

Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Ktulu

I think it's mainly that they got their driving skills in Mexico and if you've driven in Mexico you soon realize it's pretty much accepted to drive like a jackass, seriously.

Perhaps you've only driven in Mexico City? Tijuana?

As far as driving skills, courtesy and attitude, I would absolutely prefer Mexican drivers to the testerone poisoned asshats who fill our roads every day in the U.S.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
No doubt... Why rock the boat. Bush is trying super hard to get "ANYONE" a green card for 5000 bucks... Sounds like a great deal to me if I were an alien...

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
Originally posted by: techs

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Bush administration can proceed with a plan to open the U.S. border to long haul Mexican trucks as early as next week after an appeals court rejected a bid by labor, consumer and environmental interests to block the initiative.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco late on Friday denied an emergency petition sought by the Teamsters union, the Sierra Club and consumer group Public Citizen to halt the start of a one-year pilot program that was approved by Congress after years of legal and political wrangling.

The Transportation Department welcomed the decision and said in a statement that allowing more direct shipments from Mexico will benefit U.S. consumers.

Not.

I hope you include Clinton in this too....He's the one that signed/supported NAFTA

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: techs

Not.

Wow...the needle just fell off my sarcasm meter...:roll:

sure glad you added that last little word...;)

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: Sinsear

It depends. As Gov Bush won the majority of the hispanic vote.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I can see it now, truckload after truckload of 'them' coming over 'here' - stacked like cord wood, waitin' ta take yer job . . . .

and we don't have a functional immigration program, but trucks r gonna roll.

question is . . . what to do with all of those abandoned trucks?

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..where's the fusking liberals on this issue?? seems like the Teamsters got screwed by the very people they supported.

Gneisenau

May 30, 2007
Originally posted by: IGBT
..where's the fusking liberals on this issue?? seems like the Teamsters got screwed by the very people they supported.

IMO,The chances the Teamsters ever support a Rep candidate is nil. There is no reason for the Dems to expend any effort to support them. It's better for them to expend their effort increasing their voter base. Sad really, but true.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Gneisenau

IMO,The chances the Teamsters ever support a Rep candidate is nil. There is no reason for the Dems to expend any effort to support them. It's better for them to expend their effort increasing their voter base. Sad really, but true.

That's pretty much what I was going to say. And not only are the teamsters not going to switch sides to the Republicans any time soon, but support of unions has always been a problem for Democrats among non-union folks. In any case, the Hispanic voting block is going to become very important in the next several years, and the Democrats are well on their way to almost completely locking up the Hispanic vote. President Bush seems to be the only Republican who understands why the Republican party should make an effort to be seen as more pro-immigration and pro-Hispanic. Being the party of middle-class white Christians only works as long as middle-class white Christians are the majority of the population.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

And for that matter, why do conservatives oppose this? Isn't this just the free market in action? Since when do you guys support the teamsters?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

And for that matter, why do conservatives oppose this? Isn't this just the free market in action? Since when do you guys support the teamsters?

Our trucks allowed to travel into Mexico? Nope

Tariffs placed on our goods in Mexico? Yep (hence why people cross from Mexico into the 25 mile border zone and shop at Walmart because the goods can be 1/3 of the cost in the US because of the high taxes and tariffs placed on US goods sold there).

Free market....one sided at best.

Of course, all of this is by design of big business who "want" the cheap labor to drive profits. Anyone think that US consumer goods from Mexico will now drop in price or, choice #2, profits from said merchandise will rise more quickly? I think the latter.

The fastest rising export that we are sending to Mexico are jobs.....and this just sent 10,000 (to start this one year trial) more (maybe more) there.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001

..I'm a democrat and support American Truckers.