Medal of Honor: Warfighter "Alpha" - GPU Test (GameGPU.ru)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SolMiester

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2004
It's an Alpha release and we've already got AMD dead and buried?

I know people talk about AMD not performing in BF3, but I think that's yesterday's news, a bit.

bf3_1920_1200.gif

This is with the 680 running 1006MHz w/ boost "typically" (The way it was worded in the review) to 1110MHz and the 7970GE running 1050MHz w/boost 1100MHz. So, pretty much clock for clock.

Drivers not being optimized can easily cause deficits like we're seeing. Especially considering most game devs, as do most professionals, use nVidia hardware. AMD needs to work on this game, for sure, but it's not like it isn't typical that they've got to do this.

And LOL at Dirt Showdown not mattering. :D

So AMD fixed BF3..?, when was it released, Sept 2011?

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Nvidia cards handle MSAA better in BF3. Fermi did better than Cayman and Kepler does better than Tahiti.

That said, it hammers performance on both vendors, just more so on AMD.

You're not getting solid 60FPS @ 1080P on ultra with 4xMSAA in BF3 without two cards from either vendor anyway.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Once in a while I create these threads with what I think will be pretty popular/interesting game because I think gamers may be interested to know how their card is performing or to aid them in their GPU buying process.

It's interesting that when I made a similar thread with Alan Wake highlighting how great AMD's cards performed, the reception was totally different and no one complained that I was 'burying NV cards' despite HD6950 outperforming GTX580.

It's not my fault that NV's cards run most FB2 games much faster with MSAA. I think that's pretty useful information for people who play FB2 FPS shooters/look forward to this game. For example, someone might be on the fence between GTX670 and HD7970 today and wants to play MOHW in the fall. What is that person supposed to do? A thread like this gives them more information. Alpha is the best we have available right now. Given the current performance at hand, it would actually help someone who is interested in MOHW to buy a GTX670/680 cards over 7970 at this point in time.

Similarly, if there are certain games where AMD cards shine, I try to note it to prospective buyers as well.

FWIW I'm in no way trying to paint you as biased. I know you are not. I just think you are overreacting at this point.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
So AMD fixed BF3..?, when was it released, Sept 2011?

As I said, yesterday's news. If you've already bought a card then it doesn't matter. If you are buying a card today, then the performance deficit is fixed. Therefore it's "yesterday's news".

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
Only NOOBS play fps shooters with visual quality up high.
the pro fps people who plays it set all low.
Measure those low settings with the cards is actually more useful for those who actually play fps shooters.

boxleitnerb

Platinum Member
Nov 1, 2011
Measure those low settings with the cards is actually more useful for those who actually play fps shooters.

Only cheaters set the visual quality to low to get an unfair advantage. In real life, there are trees and objects and details. If you want to cheat, play in a white box with a giant target in front of you.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

The view distance in low Image Quality in BF3 is severely limited (blurring like hell) , you really need to play at High or Ultra settings (Blur Off, with or without AA) in MP.

So, only NOOBs will play BF3 MP in low IQ ;)

dangerman1337

Sep 16, 2010

God forbid people actually enjoy games rather than being "UB3R L33T MLG PR0Z" who think Counter-Strike is the most tactical game evar (not saying it's bad BTW). Besides if you're talking BF3, IIRC DICE had low PC settings is the same competive play (except the settings that muck with the art direction :p).

The|Hunter

Dec 5, 2011
seriously, posting about an alpha?
LOL.
no game out there has any difference that is worth mention unless its highly coded for one card speciality optimized, and even then who cares.

Lot of dice guys like amd/ati better than Nvidia.

Well Dice FB2.0 is in AMD evolved program no?

Maybe that's why there is a little "better" perf. in AMD Bulldozer, but then again its 200mhz faster compared to 2600K and FB2.0 likes cores + speed :D

The fact that it looks no better than Dirt 3 and runs about 3x worse only highlights the awful optimization and coding in that game. Imo, Dirt Showdown is one of the worst optimized games ever made vs. its graphics. Despite me owning an HD7900 series card, I am frankly appauled that a game with graphics that hardly improved from Dirt2/3 can't even break 30 fps on a GTX580/6970. That's a joke!!!!!!!!!

Talk about a failed console port.

If a game can't even break 23 fps on a GTX580 with such avg graphics and gets less than 50 fps on an HD6990, the developers and programmers have failed completely.

Well for some reason 8xAA + Shadows @ ultra make a big hit.

Global illumination is another thing, did you force enable it or did you test this after patch 1.01? If you forced it then no wonder.

Also i wouldnt call it a bad console port, it runs great here @ single 570gtx, downsampling 1600x1200, 4xaa, shadows high, rest ultra, no GI, vsync 60fps all the time.

But yea i agree showdown is dumb'd down arcade (kinda like Flatout), but it still nice at times - car detail and dx11 adv. lighting.

Last edited:

flopper

Dec 16, 2005
The view distance in low Image Quality in BF3 is severely limited (blurring like hell) , you really need to play at High or Ultra settings (Blur Off, with or without AA) in MP.

So, only NOOBs will play BF3 MP in low IQ ;)

Only Noobs play BF3... ;)
I dont.
Its so bad design I puke at dice.
I tried play it but simply put it just sucks.
at age 48 I kinda have some standard gaming.

tried the beta of MOH, to test it and I was thinking wtf are they thinking?
I read things like a designer in dice saying no one want to run a long way in modern games, and produced tiny maps with flags around.
I am basically speechless in how what direction they gone into the consol one.
shooters for consolgeneration kids.
Unless they change direction with BF4 it be the same shit as BF3 and MOH etc..

That people even bother to benchmark an alpha is beyond me, todays hardware you wont notice difference when the game is out. we got to a point where any card of each manufacturer wont be different in practical use.

Aug 11, 2008
The game engine is seriously multithreaded and the new architecture from AMD shines, Piledriver based chips look more and more interesting.

By shines, you mean an "8 core" cpu matches a 4 core from intel in one highly multithreaded game??? Granted Bulldozer is competitive, but the multithreaded 2600K matches it in ave fps.

Interesting how the AMD fans claim low resolution benchmarks are not valid to real life gaming when AMD loses, but start touting them when AMD is at least competitive. And no one seems to be saying intel is "good enough" like they do for AMD when it is far behind in other games.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
By shines, you mean an "8 core" cpu matches a 4 core from intel in one highly multithreaded game??? Granted Bulldozer is competitive, but the multithreaded 2600K matches it in ave fps.

Interesting how the AMD fans claim low resolution benchmarks are not valid to real life gaming when AMD loses, but start touting them when AMD is at least competitive. And no one seems to be saying intel is "good enough" like they do for AMD when it is far behind in other games.

I think it's just amazing how it DOESN'T suck. It's more a testament to the engine looking at how well the 1100T performs. That to me just means they can toss more elaborate physics in the game and not cripple the CPUs.

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001

I mentioned it, and I have a 2500k.

Stop spewing this AMD crybaby crap, its getting really old.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
FWIW I'm in no way trying to paint you as biased. I know you are not. I just think you are overreacting at this point.

I am not overreacting. This is becoming a common theme in a lot of games lately that aren't found on the usual "Reviewers List" on major hardware websites. NV's cards just work well even in Beta in other games (not just the popular games).

For example, Secret World with DX11 runs very poorly on AMD cards even though I think the tessellation looks poor:

sw%201920%2011.png

Then we have World of Planes where GCN cards are basically unplayable:

wop%201920.png

Now, you can add Guild Wars 2 to the ever-growing list. HD5000 series are not rendering the game correctly at all, which increases performance but all the detail on the textures is missing. :hmm:

Gw2_2012_07_21_14_04_44_794.jpg

GCN tanks against even a GTX580.

gw2%20vhq%201680x1050.png

gw2%20vhq%201920x1080.png

gw2%20vhq%202560x1600.png

AMD is just lucky not many people on our forum play these games; so this poor performance almost flies under the radar. ;)

Last edited:

ButtMagician

Jun 24, 2012
gamepreorders.com
As someone who is looking forward to GW2... Ouch :eek:

Doesn't it mean that GW2 engine is unoptimized for AMD cards rather than some fault with the new Radeons though? I mean, plenty of games run just fine on them.

Rezist

Jun 20, 2009
Really sad to see about GW2 was planning on getting an AMDcard since the GTX670 is way too expensive for my gaming needs.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
As someone who is looking forward to GW2... Ouch :eek:

Doesn't it mean that GW2 engine is unoptimized for AMD cards rather than some fault with the new Radeons though? I mean, plenty of games run just fine on them.

HD5800 uses VLIW-5, HD6900 uses VLIW-4 and HD7900 series use GCN architectures. It would take a lot of specific programming to design a game that runs poorly on 2 completely different AMD architectures. More NV black magic maybe, or AMD driver magic is missing? :D

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Even if AMD optimizes drivers, so can NV. 30-35% deficit is massive to make up from drivers alone, especially since HD5800/6900 and 7900 series of cards take a larger performance hit with MSAA in FB2/deferred MSAA game engines. This game is no different in that regard.
It depends on how suboptimal the drivers are to begin with as to how much performance potential there is. On the 5770 for example, I tested a 100% performance gain (twice as fast) between launch drivers and the latest drivers at the time in AvP3.