Mechwarrior Living Legends beta COMING TODAY!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
Mod is a mod, if you are butt hurt that it's not the "real" thing, lol cry elsewhere. Good for them.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
You don't fuckin say? Wow, I had no idea. :rolleyes:
What does it matter what you think?

based on your previous posts, I seriously thought you had no idea.

ANd it matters what I think because I am GOD, and I am judging you based on your reaction to this tasty crysis mod.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
based on your previous posts, I seriously thought you had no idea.

ANd it matters what I think because I am GOD, and I am judging you based on your reaction to this tasty crysis mod.

Nik's just being a dick, ignore

Oct 30, 2004
The real question is how can any PC Gamer continue to call themselves a PC Gamer when you don't have Crysis? It's blasphemy!

I'm a PC gamer and I don't have Crysis. When I want to play FPS I play an athletic cybersport FPS that is superior for online multiplayer called Unreal Tournament (1999) or UT2004.

Oct 30, 2004
OK, there's been lots of complaining in this thread about having to buy Crysis, but what is the mod like? Are Mechwarrior fans liking it? Is it worth buying Crysis for? Does it feel more like an on-foot FPS or more like a legitimate Mechwarrior game?

Oct 30, 2004

I didn't mean that in a literal sense; of course you're sitting on your butt. What I meant was that it's a game of skill and feels mentally similar to playing in a sporting event, especially a capture-the-flag 5v5 clan match or organized 5v5 pickup game with voice comm and assigned positions that feels like a clan match. There are plays to be made and I can just almost hear an announcer calling out the game. "What a save!" "What a shot!" "He dodges the shock combo and goes in for the tying flag cap with just 20 seconds left to send the game into OT!"

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2007
I didn't mean that in a literal sense; of course you're sitting on your butt. What I meant was that it's a game of skill and feels mentally similar to playing in a sporting event, especially a capture-the-flag 5v5 clan match or organized 5v5 pickup game with voice comm and assigned positions that feels like a clan match. There are plays to be made and I can just almost hear an announcer calling out the game. "What a save!" "What a shot!" "He dodges the shock combo and goes in for the tying flag cap with just 20 seconds left to send the game into OT!"
You need to get outside more.

:p hehe just kidding, I have played games competitively in the past so I see where you're coming from. These days it's all about relaxing and having fun for me now, and Crysis is a good way to satisfy your primal instincts to see things go BOOM!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
OK, there's been lots of complaining in this thread about having to buy Crysis, but what is the mod like? Are Mechwarrior fans liking it? Is it worth buying Crysis for? Does it feel more like an on-foot FPS or more like a legitimate Mechwarrior game?

I'm a huge MW fan and I love it.

Elementals: Powered armor with jump jets. You can jump up to about 200ft with one burst, on low gravity map(s) you can stay in the air for a few minutes. Fights with other elementals are fast and brutal, vs mechs/armor it's a matter of trying to dodge the AC20 of a very pi$$ed off mech pilot. To be ignored at your own peral.

Armor: It's a tank... Low profile for firing behind cover & over hills as well as being low on the priority list in large brawls. The biggest tank can tear through light to medium mechs, but they are best left for support roles when you want big guns for cheap.

Choppers: Allows you to hover and keep pounding a target. Easier to hit but the trick is to sit over a target so he can't retaliate. Not overly powerful but fun and a menace to light mehcs & armor.

Jets: Near impossible to hit from the ground unless you fly low and slow (due to lag atm). Usually only used for goofing around dog fighting/killing choppers but in the right hands the heavy jets can bomb the crap out of targets.

Mehcs: Lords of the battlefield. Nothing says "DIE" quite like 4 UAC20's on a 90 ton mech. Ammo, heat, multiple armor points, radar, jump jets, all the classic stuff is included. You can also eject from your dying mech to continue to fight as a elemental, fitted with extra weapons if you had the credits.

All vehicles come with 4 stock variants, each one differing depending on what hard points they have (eg, shoulder cannon can not fire missiles). A mech bay will/may be introduced later that will allow for customizing loadouts.

The mechs motions do not have the same feel as in MW4 or previous games, but they do play the nearly the same. A mech does not feel like a tank raised 50ft off the ground.

The maps are the most unique I've seen in any MP game. Extremity is on a asteroid in space with low gravity and a day & night cycle that changes from overheating your mech to freezing it, not to mention the acid like lakes that are frozen or liquid depending on the day cycle. Inferno is set in the middle of a lava field with explosions coming out of several hilltops and your mech is always running hot. Marshes is set in the middle of a swamp with lots of shallow ponds and small tree covered hills which is a very stark contrast to Sandblasted where you fight in a open desert. And finally there is Clear Cut set in the middle of a clear cut forest with a imposing hill in the middle.

To get a better feel for the game, visit youtube.

-edit- Keep in mind MWLL is still in beta, the game crashes a lot and has a fair few bugs but is still quite playable. More maps, features and MP modes are supposed to be added later.

Last edited:

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Wow I can't believe this is actually happening. I'm a HUGE MechWarrior fan since the first one on SNES which is still fun. Can't wait to have the time to try this out in a few weeks.

Oct 30, 2004
Thank you for the review ZZZGuy. It sounds pretty interesting. I played MW2 Mercenaries years ago and also bought the MW4 compilation pack (but didn't really get into it at all). Living Legends sounds like it might be great fun.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Armor: It's a tank... Low profile for firing behind cover & over hills as well as being low on the priority list in large brawls. The biggest tank can tear through light to medium mechs, but they are best left for support roles when you want big guns for cheap.

If you have a buddy, grab a tank w/ 4x LRM20's and just sit behind a hill salvoing the shit out of everything while he TAGs/NARCs targets for you.

Also, is anyone else a little underwhelmed with the power of the Arrow IV's?

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
You don't fuckin say? Wow, I had no idea. :rolleyes:
What does it matter what you think?

Let's stay on topic here guys.
Been doing some tiling around the house so I haven't had a chance to re-install Crysis...

Thanks to ZzZGuy for the review! Sounds awesome!

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
If you have a buddy, grab a tank w/ 4x LRM20's and just sit behind a hill salvoing the shit out of everything while he TAGs/NARCs targets for you.

Also, is anyone else a little underwhelmed with the power of the Arrow IV's?

Arrow IV's are nasty pieces of work. They have a 3000m range which means you can fire from the other side of the map and hit a marked target. But they require a target to be tagged or NARCed in order to home in on them.

Two catapults sitting far back firing Arrows with BA (battle armor/elementals) tagging is devastating. There is also the light jet armed with two Arrows & NARC that can rain sudden death from above, best used to finish off damaged targets.

There is also the Tbolt (missile) but it can only home in on NARCs.

Magusigne

Golden Member
Nov 21, 2007
I just wanted to bump this up and add that Crysis Maximum Edition is 13.59 at moment.

With that I would be able to run this mod correct?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yep I just bought Crysis pack on Steam. Glad it was on sale as I've wanted to play it for a while. Now to get this Mod.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
The hotfix that's available does that take you to .03? I'm getting an error message when trying to connect to any server. I'd check their site but their bandwidth has been exceeeded.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
I was "about" to get Crysis on Steam--and I'm glad I didn't.

From what I read on the mod forums, the beta is being released compatible with Crysis, but the final release and subsequent updates will be for the the Crysis: Warhead edition.

I love Mechwarrior stuff. Mercenaries was my first multiplayer game (oh, the pain of dial-up)! I'll wait a bit after the beta is over, despite the temptation.