Mechwarrior Living Legends beta COMING TODAY!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Got it installed yesterday only to have Crysis totally puke because Daemon utilities were installed...un-installed Daemon and Crysis still won't start....I'll have to get around to re-installing Crysis today. The joys of DRM.

I'm not sure how all the people saying they didn't know this required Crysis missed it, we've had several threads about this mod over the last year and a half or so talking about this mod and to top it off Crysis has been on sale multiple times. The real question is how can any PC Gamer continue to call themselves a PC Gamer when you don't have Crysis? It's blasphemy!

Buy it and d/l the mod already. At the worst you've got one of the best games of all time to play through.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
Please everyone, don't feed the troll. You'll only encourage it.

After playing the game for a few hours I have to say it's awesome. Not sure yet if it's on par or better then MW:4 mp, that will come when I know all the details of the game and the final version is released.

One thing I like is how the credit system works. You always respawn with enough to buy a small mech/vehicle/aircraft, the more kills you get the higher rank you become which respawns you with more credits. You earn enough credits easily to repair/rearm your mech while fighting (this is assuming you lived to repair), but you have to be damn good for the total to exceed you base spawn amount allowing you to buy more.

There is locational damage, so weapons can be destroyed or the mech's speed reduced. When a weapon is destroyed you can not repair it, so beware if you have only one big gun on your mech.

Teamwork seems like it can/will play a huge part in this game. One mech with a tag laser with two missile boats behind a hill will rape almost anything they face.

One thing I hate is how bothersome elementals can be. You can't seem to lock onto them with SRM's and are very hard to hit. If they become a problem, buddy up and load some AOE weapons (still don't know what is best).

The biggest problem atm is lag issues that many seem to be experiencing. Severs with N/A ping seem to have the least, with many others flashing the disconnect icon every few seconds.

Yeah, some people just like to complain for the sake of it. There's an old saying that goes something like this. 'Its easier to tear something good down than build up something good.' There are people out there that just love to tear down or bad mouth things that other people do and build. Online I found its best to just ignore them or as my friend would say, Ignore them to death.

Anyway, thanks for that info on the in game. They'll probably have to do some balance tweaks in the game but it sounds like they got something good on their hands. I imagine they can overcome it with some extra work and polishing.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
The disconnects seem to have disappeared, however the game crashes very often now. Good thing is if you rejoin the same server you have a 90% chance that it'll remember your rank (and thus, more credits).

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The disconnects seem to have disappeared, however the game crashes very often now. Good thing is if you rejoin the same server you have a 90% chance that it'll remember your rank (and thus, more credits).

How does it play?

Does it feel like more like a first person shooter than the Mechwarrior games did?

I am unfortunately stuck playing Steam games which they quite nicely put on sale and won't have much game time for anything else. :)

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Think of this as Counterstirke to Half-life.

Does the Crysis CD need to be present to play? My brother is borrowing the game currently. I'm downlaoding the mod right now, 5000% availability. :eek:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
lmao. I did a little work on this mod over the summer. Nik you can paypal me some money if you want but it was done without any expectations of monetary reward :) I think people have forgotten what a mod is.

Bull, they're trying to get a job. It's a "here, look what we can do" gesture for their portfolio.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
What is wrong with that?

If you really need to ask this question, you haven't been paying attention. Instead of spelling it out for you like you're some sort of retarded 2nd grader, I'll verbally abuse you while you go re-read my posts. Nub.

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
I would like to kindly remind posters to reframe from feeding the troll. It may seem harmless at first, but one post will turn into many with encouragement and will alter the topic of the thread.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Bull, they're trying to get a job. It's a "here, look what we can do" gesture for their portfolio.

I already have a job and the lead on the team works at crytek already. Working on mods is a great way for people to get experience and put a portfolio together. If you want to work creatively you need a portfolio, its all that matters (until you have credits).

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I already have a job and the lead on the team works at crytek already. Working on mods is a great way for people to get experience and put a portfolio together. If you want to work creatively you need a portfolio, its all that matters (until you have credits).

The goal is to make more money... by being able to say "look, existing-employer, this is what I can do, pay me more money and I'll make you a return on your investment" or "hey, hopefully-soon-to-be-new-employer, this is what I can do, pay me more money and I'll make you a return on your investment"

...right?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The goal is to make more money... by being able to say "look, existing-employer, this is what I can do, pay me more money and I'll make you a return on your investment" or "hey, hopefully-soon-to-be-new-employer, this is what I can do, pay me more money and I'll make you a return on your investment"

...right?

working on a mod is an exercise. By exercising one becomes better and more focused. The drive in life is to do the best, most creative work always. If a paycheck is attached to that then so be it. People don't take a hard road in life because they want to "make a lot of money" they must have passion for it first.

Your inability to see that creation itself is a reward makes me weep for your unborn children.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
working on a mod is an exercise. By exercising one becomes better and more focused. The drive in life is to do the best, most creative work always. If a paycheck is attached to that then so be it. People don't take a hard road in life because they want to "make a lot of money" they must have passion for it first.

Your inability to see that creation itself is a reward makes me weep for your unborn children.

Then keep weeping for things that are unwanted and will never be.

And, unless you're working for nothing in a homeless shelter out of the goodness of your heart, you can save the idealistic crusade for someone who buys it :p

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001

...right?

I'm not playing a stupid mod. If they release a stand-alone (read: a REAL) game, then they'll get my money. Until then, fuck them.

I don't know how you can compare exploitation by charging for an unfinished product to a hobby that happens to enhance employable skills and helps build a portfolio. You can argue until you're blue in the face that mods are self-serving projects to earn the creators monetary gain, but the reality is the amount of work that goes into making these things when you're really not going to get anything for certain means they're a labor of love. They're really just an easy(easier) way for people to express their game design ideas and I'm not sure why you can't see them for that. I'm guessing you never used your Lego sets as a kid to build something different than what the instructions told you--or if you did, you charged your friends to play with them.

And to the guy having problems with Elementals: I haven't had a chance to try this mod yet, but in my Mechwarrior experience PPCs were usually pretty effective for dealing with them.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I want a real game, not have to go out and buy another game just to play a stupid mod.

Edit: Oh, and I have this installed and play with legos all the time to make all sorts of fun stuff

http://ldd.lego.com/

...you were saying?

Funny. I just finished a job for Lego. So in some weird way you HAVE given me money. Thank you :awe:

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Funny. I just finished a job for Lego. So in some weird way you HAVE given me money. Thank you :awe:

Haha. :D Nice!

Now get your ass to work so I can play a stand-alone version of mechwarrior with modern graphics ;) :p

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
picture.php

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Haha. :D Nice!

Now get your ass to work so I can play a stand-alone version of mechwarrior with modern graphics ;) :p

You do realize that in order for them to release this "mod" as a stand-alone game, they'd have to license CryEngine2, package it up for an official release, etc.. That would cost money, in which they'd have to charge us to make the cost worth it. Either way, the end user needs to buy the software which contains the Engine. Either you go buy Crysis and install the Mod, or go buy a stand alone game.

Nik, I actually think you don't believe what you are saying, but are bored and just trolling the CryEngine Fanboys..

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Then keep weeping for things that are unwanted and will never be.

And, unless you're working for nothing in a homeless shelter out of the goodness of your heart, you can save the idealistic crusade for someone who buys it :p

Ever heard of a hobby? Do you think every person who glues together and paints up a model race car or jet is seeking a profession in the special effects industry?

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
You do realize that in order for them to release this "mod" as a stand-alone game, they'd have to license CryEngine2, package it up for an official release, etc.. That would cost money, in which they'd have to charge us to make the cost worth it. Either way, the end user needs to buy the software which contains the Engine. Either you go buy Crysis and install the Mod, or go buy a stand alone game.

You don't fuckin say? Wow, I had no idea. :rolleyes:

Nik, I actually think you don't believe what you are saying, but are bored and just trolling the CryEngine Fanboys..

What does it matter what you think?