McCain moves into the lead on the realclearpolitics electoral college board

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: eskimospy
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Desperation is only not ugly when it leads to results and in this case it won't; stop getting your hopes up, ProfJohn. Are you really so self-hating and such a glutton for punishment that you actually want McCain in office?

I still don't really see McCain winning this thing, but how can I be the only liberal concerned over the fact that Obama specifically is polling significantly far behind generic democrat?

Obama is going to win the general vote by a lot but it is the Electoral folks that count and there is no way for Obama to get enough.

Dave, you were already proven wrong on this.

Really, the election already took place? :confused:

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
,nobody is stupid enough to vote for Bush again when he did xyz. He's an idiot! blah blah blah". Now it's "McSame, nobody will want more of the same after 8 years of Bush! He's old".... blah blah.
Unlike 4 years ago we now know there are a lot of people stupid enough to vote for 4 more years of the last 8 years.

One would think that, but judging by a lot of posts I see here on a daily basis that's not the case. Also, McCain would not be 4 more years of the last 8 years, because even if he was an exact clone of Bush (which he isn't), he would face a hostile and strong congress. Bush never had to answer to congress, so he could do as he pleased. Even if McCain won the election, he'd have to reach out to democrats or simply be a lame duck.
He doesn't have to be just like Bush to continue the buggering of America his predecessor started.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Originally posted by: CPA
Originally posted by: jpeyton
After the convention, we'll see what a 2-to-1 spending advantage does for Obama. He pulled in $50 million in June, $50 million in July, and he'll be pulling in $50 million a month from now til November.

yup, would be nice to know who's buying him off.

Apparently small donors like you and me are 'buying him off'.
Like small donors who went to his $8 million fund raisers in San Fran this past weekend?

$14,000 to meet with Obama? Damn I wish I was a small donor.
link

Enough with the stupid posts Pro-Jo.

Just because Obama has some people who are rich that donate to him does not mean that all of his donors are. As we've gone over in previous threads, nearly half of the contributions Obama has gotten are less than $200... the typical small donor. Only 20 something percent have been more than $2,300. So yes, far more of his donors are small time donors than are big ones.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Desperation is only not ugly when it leads to results and in this case it won't; stop getting your hopes up, ProfJohn. Are you really so self-hating and such a glutton for punishment that you actually want McCain in office?

I still don't really see McCain winning this thing, but how can I be the only liberal concerned over the fact that Obama specifically is polling significantly far behind generic democrat?

Obama is going to win the general vote by a lot but it is the Electoral folks that count and there is no way for Obama to get enough.

Dave, you were already proven wrong on this.

Really, the election already took place? :confused:

No, you claimed that Obama had no way of getting the electoral votes he needed until I pointed out to you that by your own map you had him winning. Oops!

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
After the convention, we'll see what a 2-to-1 spending advantage does for Obama. He pulled in $50 million in June, $50 million in July, and he'll be pulling in $50 million a month from now til November.

Like small donors who went to his $8 million fund raisers in San Fran this past weekend?

link
But McCain raises more of his money from large donors than Obama does right PJ?

we did a thread on this before..you should go back and read it :)

GTKeeper

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2005
It's funny how people who are obviously very 'invested' in politics tend to magnify things and think things are important to the average voter, when in fact the things that matter to the average voter are far less concrete and detail oriented. The arguments now sound a lot like 4 years ago around this time: "Kerry will win, nobody is stupid enough to vote for Bush again when he did xyz. He's an idiot! blah blah blah". Now it's "McSame, nobody will want more of the same after 8 years of Bush! He's old".... blah blah.

Lefties vote for Obama, righties vote for McCain, the independent (non hardcore) group that doesn't care about politics a whole lot pretty much goes by a gut feeling of who they like/trust/believe more. All the analysis of details and nuances are a waste of time on that (crucial) group.

That's why I'm convinced McCain trounced Obama at Saddleback. To the average non-politically minded voter, McCain's "straight talk" (true or not!) is more understandable and makes more sense than Obama's well thought-out points. It's a repeat of the Kerry v Bush debates. The winner doesn't have to be slick, polished or brilliant, he has to come across as more believable and pass the "would I want to have a beer with that guy" test.

Right on.

I keep saying that the Dems and Obama need a simple message and act SIMPLY to get through to the majority of people. Everyone on P&N just ignores replies like yours and mine because they don't believe in the pragmatic approach outside their ideals.

Obama will lose if he keeps going down the Kerry route of long, drawn out, complicated arguments.

Kerry got shafted by the Swiftboat attacks, but his response to it was equally numbing. I will never forget during the debates Kerry saying..

'This administration this, this administration that, Bush this, Bush that' and all of us in the room (probably 50-60% independents) yelling at the screen 'TELL US WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO!' you freaking idiot!

I am starting to get the same feeling now, and unless Obama gets tough he will have the potential to lose.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: GTKeeper
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: senseamp
Obama is a weak candidate.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy but he handily defeated the "chosen one" when no one said he could and has become the biggest fundraiser in the history of the freaking universe. He's incredibly educated, articulate, and personable. Does he have weaknesses? Of course, his resume is pretty thin and there will always be those who won't vote for someone they feel is exotic.

But McCain:

1) is really old
2) ran for president before and his party didn't like him then either, he won the nom this time by default mostly due to the crowded field
3) is a republican with policies similar to Bush in a year when 80% of the country thinks we're going the wrong way.

:thumbsup: Good post, as usual.

Look at 2004, similar scenario. Sentiment is not pro GOP at the moment and yet Bush won. I really don't like it when people count chickens before they hatch.

Barack needs to get on the ball and get on it fast or he will lose this thing.

Where did I predict Obama will win? I'm highly skeptical. My comments were directed to the claim that he is a 'weak candidate'. If the comment was "I think Obama will lose" I wouldn't have had anything to say. I think he's a pretty strong candidate, and may still lose.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

link

This bullshit again?

http://www.opensecrets.org/pre...nordems.php?cycle=2008

48% of BO's donors give $200 or less vs 28% for McCain.
26% of BO's donors give $2300 or more vs 53% for McCain.
5% of BO's donors give $4600 vs 16% for McCain.

Yes, shocking, some of Obama's money comes from rich people. What's more amazing? Those people are donating to a candidate who will likely raise their taxes because they think he's better for the country. That's called putting your money where your mouth is.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
OBAMA is polling behind "Generic Democrat" because McCain has a reputation as not being "generic republican"

Sure, this reputation is false now and we'll see if Obama can convice Americans of it. But as of now, Obama still has the upper hand. We'll see if his more dignified and professional campaign works for him. In many ways, people considered the Hillary - Obama race to be close because they would not go into the details. Obama had it locked up in February in essence. HE does not have this election locked up but his moves, specifically focusing on MANY states and using GET OUT THE VOTE, are commendable. He is stretching the map right now and after the convention he can start consolidating. HRC had an advantage in OHIO and FLORIDA but she had no chances in other states. Obama's GOTV will also help down ticket dems.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks

link

This bullshit again?

http://www.opensecrets.org/pre...nordems.php?cycle=2008

48% of BO's donors give $200 or less vs 28% for McCain.
26% of BO's donors give $2300 or more vs 53% for McCain.
5% of BO's donors give $4600 vs 16% for McCain.

Yes, shocking, some of Obama's money comes from rich people. What's more amazing? Those people are donating to a candidate who will likely raise their taxes because they think he's better for the country. That's called putting your money where your mouth is.
And the average American voter couldn't give a shit.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
link

The race is still very close, but it has been moving McCain's direction slowly for a while now. The event last weekend has certainly helped McCain out as well.

Hey, PJ -- Sorry to burst your bubble, but your poll excludes states they regard as "toss ups." As of today, their complete poll, including toss ups, shows Obama up by 50 electoral votes.

Actually, I'm not sorry at all. A lot will happen between now and November to bounce various polls around so your post is relatively meaningless.

What I do know is, this nation will be far worse off with a McShame-ful continuation of the policies of your Traitor in Chief's criminal administration.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Unsurprising but ProfJohn is once again making shallow claims. there is a surge nationally with McCain, and Obama's negatives are shooting up. But Obama's gameplan is good.

Which kerry states can he lose? I don't think Penn will turn. Some are saying Mich or Minn. I think Obama can consolidate those as well. Mich is the most troublesome according to some analysts because he didn't campaign there. I think NH is McCain's best bet.

Which bush states can Obama win? Iowa and NM look to be trending obama. VA and NC are in play, ND as well. Obama has lost his lead in COlorado but it's still competitive and McCain made a massive blunder there. Ohio and Florida are also good shots. And Obama thinks he has a chance in Georgia as well.

Just like with the senate races, the battle is on the Republicans turf, which is a good thing. McCain did not open CA, NJ is slipping away, washington and oregon are often erratic but they most likely won't be in play. Again, NH seems like his best shot with MI and Minn close behind. MI and Minn i doubt will turn in this season though.

Colorado and VA might be the new ohio/florida.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
Too bad for McCain he is peaking as a result of negative attacks on BHO.

the sad fact is, it seems to be working. he's only able to get press coverage by attacking the press's favorite subject, Obama.

McCain has high "Favorable ratings (51% favorable vs 35% unfavorable) so he can go negative if he wants. Personally, I don't think we've seen him do anything *dirty* like he could. But McCain could afford to do that because his favorables are so high - he can *spend* some. I've heard it said Hillary really couldn't do that in the primary because of her high unfavorable rating.

But IMO that's not what's going on here. It is attributable to some other developments:

1. The Russia/Georgia thing has reminded people of the threads we may face, and how leadership from the CIC is important:

The poll also finds McCain has a substantial edge on who voters think is best qualified to deal with the Russia crisis, 55%-27% -- suggesting that McCain had success with his efforts to brand himself as the leadership figure during the crisis by dispatching campaign allies to the region and generally filling the airwaves with a lot of tough talk.

Indeed, almost a third of Democrats, and 55% of independents, prefer McCain to Obama on Russia. Of course, it's unclear how much of an issue the Russia crisis will be in the fall campaign.
Link

2. The *experience gap* is showing up:

The survey of almost 1,250 registered voters showed that the vast majority have no doubt McCain is qualified for the White House. Asked if the Republican had the right experience to be president, 80% said yes (with only 14% saying no).

By contrast, close to a majority -- 48% -- said Obama lacks the experience for the job (with 44% saying yes).

Link

McCain literally trounces Obama in these regards.

3. McCain doing better with polls on the economy and energy (I saw one where McCain is now leading on the conomy, but can't find it again. Plus looks more like a mixed bag anyway) It looks as if "Drill Here, Drill Now" has helped McCain hit a gusher

I can't help but think Nancy Pelosi is hurting Obama there. Nor do I think his "nuanced" performance at Saddleback did him any good.

Things are simply not trending well for Obama over the past several weeks. But it is early, and the real race starts after Labor Day (Begining of Sept.)

Fern

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
It's funny how people who are obviously very 'invested' in politics tend to magnify things and think things are important to the average voter, when in fact the things that matter to the average voter are far less concrete and detail oriented. The arguments now sound a lot like 4 years ago around this time: "Kerry will win, nobody is stupid enough to vote for Bush again when he did xyz. He's an idiot! blah blah blah". Now it's "McSame, nobody will want more of the same after 8 years of Bush! He's old".... blah blah.

Lefties vote for Obama, righties vote for McCain, the independent (non hardcore) group that doesn't care about politics a whole lot pretty much goes by a gut feeling of who they like/trust/believe more. All the analysis of details and nuances are a waste of time on that (crucial) group.

That's why I'm convinced McCain trounced Obama at Saddleback. To the average non-politically minded voter, McCain's "straight talk" (true or not!) is more understandable and makes more sense than Obama's well thought-out points. It's a repeat of the Kerry v Bush debates. The winner doesn't have to be slick, polished or brilliant, he has to come across as more believable and pass the "would I want to have a beer with that guy" test.

Right on.

I keep saying that the Dems and Obama need a simple message and act SIMPLY to get through to the majority of people. Everyone on P&N just ignores replies like yours and mine because they don't believe in the pragmatic approach outside their ideals.

Obama will lose if he keeps going down the Kerry route of long, drawn out, complicated arguments.

Kerry got shafted by the Swiftboat attacks, but his response to it was equally numbing. I will never forget during the debates Kerry saying..

'This administration this, this administration that, Bush this, Bush that' and all of us in the room (probably 50-60% independents) yelling at the screen 'TELL US WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO!' you freaking idiot!

I am starting to get the same feeling now, and unless Obama gets tough he will have the potential to lose.

So you figured it would be a good idea for Bush to be President instead? Yeah, you guys are definitely the model voters America needs more of :roll: You're clearly trying to play yourself off as some kind of political thinker, so why were you ignoring what Kerry was saying about the guy who ended up becoming President again?

There are things I don't like about Obama, just like there are things I didn't like about Kerry, but it's not a one man race...it's really dumb to look at an individual candidate by themselves. Getting people to do that in 2004 with Kerry was the true genius of the Republican strategy. Bush was a terrible President, but by getting people to only focus on Kerry, it became a race Bush could win just because he was the only other candidate. And, just like then, the Republicans have a terrible candidate...so they pull out the old "Obama vs Nobody" strategy and hope that nobody notices that anything but a vote for Obama is a vote for McCain.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Rainsford

So you figured it would be a good idea for Bush to be President instead? Yeah, you guys are definitely the model voters America needs more of :roll:

There are things I don't like about Obama, just like there are things I didn't like about Kerry, but it's not a one man race...it's really dumb to look at an individual candidate by themselves. Getting people to do that in 2004 with Kerry was the true genius of the Republican strategy. Bush was a terrible President, but by getting people to only focus on Kerry, it became a race Bush could win just because he was the only other candidate. And, just like then, the Republicans have a terrible candidate...so they pull out the old "Obama vs Nobody" strategy and hope that nobody notices that anything but a vote for Obama is a vote for McCain.

Actually, I think its more like Obama vs the Baby killing, Undercover Muslim extremist, Anti-american hate monger, terrorist loving, socialist/marxist/whatever is bad-ist Barrack Huessin Obama.

that's what negative campaigning has gotten us so far. ain't it grand!?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Rainsford
-snip-
-snip-

So you figured it would be a good idea for Bush to be President instead? Yeah, you guys are definitely the model voters America needs more of :roll: You're clearly trying to play yourself off as some kind of political thinker, so why were you ignoring what Kerry was saying about the guy who ended up becoming President again?

Hmm.. I don't think that they are that far off.

The Dems seem to demonstrate a fairly consistent pattern - criticize your opponent, but then get all nuanced about what YOU WOULD DO. And IMO, they're still playing this to a large extent like they're running against Bush; might fire up the base but I'm not sure how it plays to those indies and others who pay a whole 10 mintues of time to an election before yanking the lever. Have you ever seen just how many people don't make up their minds until they get behind the curtain? Jeez, it's ridiculous. And I think more poeple do that than confess to it. When I stand inline at the polling station I'm amazed at how many take their 10 or 15 minutes to vote. I'm done and out of there before the worker finishes pulling the curtain shut behind me.

Yes, of course the Repubs are trying to make about just Obama vs McCain. And IMO the MSM is an unwitting accomplice in this. But I think it unfair to not recognize that the Dems pursue this too. When Obamania was running high, they sure weren't bashful about hitching their wagon to him.

It's long been said that this election in his to lose. That means everybody is looking at him, and if he can't close the deal the voters default to McCain. And those indy and swing voters are notorious for going with their gut.

Nobody is saying it's how it should be, But I think we are slow here sometimes to recognize how it really is (even if we don't approve of it and can't fathom it ourselves).

I think we should try harder to put ourselves in the shoes of those (mostly dis-interested) voters who have such a big influence on our elections. IMO, people like us who are strongly intertested in politics are only campaign targets mostly in the primary, now they move the focus to those other voters.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
On a related note, I just checked the numbers and Obama is going to have a simply colossal fiscal advantage after the conventions. He has been saving up money in anticipation and apparently has about $66 million in the bank right now so there's a chance he will have more just in the bank after the conventions then McCain will have total to work with. Add onto that the fact that Obama is raising more then $50 million a month right now (a figure I could see increasing as we get close to the election) and I imagine McCain is going to get buried under a pile of ads.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
McCain leads by 5 in the latest Zogby poll. More bad news for Obama on the poll front.

All of you Obama fans trying to dismiss the polls need to remember that Democrats are usually WAY ahead during the summer. The fact that he is tied or worse is extremely bad news for the Democrats.

Also, nearly everyone is saying that McCain won at Saddleback. And a lot of them are saying that it looks like McCain will do much better in the debates than anyone thought. If Obama sticks to the long drawn out answers and McCain sticks to the 'straight talk' style answers McCain will be seen as the winner.

Sure it is Pro-Jo. Obama leads in every poll but one, and he leads by about the same amount he's fluctuated around all summer. Cling to your hopes all you want man, I don't want you to be too sad in November when McCain loses though.

How many of you remember the conversations on here from 4 years ago? This is all eerily similar.

I don't know, I didn't participate in the conversations of 4 years ago. Are you trying to imply that this election is like the 2004 one? If so, how?

No I'm not implying that. I'm implying that the conversation on here is exactly the same. "There is no way person A will beat person B", "I hope you all eat crow", etc. etc. It's just funny to me how I feel like I just time warped to 4 years ago. Too bad I didn't get all of my hair back. :(

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
On a related note, I just checked the numbers and Obama is going to have a simply colossal fiscal advantage after the conventions. He has been saving up money in anticipation and apparently has about $66 million in the bank right now so there's a chance he will have more just in the bank after the conventions then McCain will have total to work with. Add onto that the fact that Obama is raising more then $50 million a month right now (a figure I could see increasing as we get close to the election) and I imagine McCain is going to get buried under a pile of ads.

Is he going to pay a "windfall profits" tax on all that money:)? How much money does 1 person or company need to make anyway right:)?

These new polls give me hope for 4 years of gridlock. I want it just like the 90s gridlock gridlock and more gridlock. If something does pass it will need to be a compromise. Much better than having 1 party having a rubber stamp to do what it pleases.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
[ProfJohn] OMGZ! McCain was leading by 5 points this morning (zogby poll) then Obama took a 3 point lead! (NBC poll)

This means that by the end of next week Obama will be leading by 500 points! McCain dropped 8 points in a matter of hours! THe end is near! -

[/ProfJohn Analysis]

RY62

Mar 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
[ProfJohn] OMGZ! McCain was leading by 5 points this morning (zogby poll) then Obama took a 3 point lead! (NBC poll)

This means that by the end of next week Obama will be leading by 500 points! McCain dropped 8 points in a matter of hours! THe end is near! -

[/ProfJohn Analysis]

It's surprising that NBC would admit results that close. Obama could be down by 20 and they'd still be trying to spin it with him winning.

Interesting notes from that NBC poll...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26314990/

Overall, Obama holds a three-point lead over McCain, 45-42 percent, which is within the survey?s margin of error. That?s down from Obama?s six-point advantage last month, 47-41 percent.

...there are still doubts about Obama?s ability to be commander-in-chief. In the poll, 50 percent say they have confidence in McCain in that position. But just 39 percent say the same of the Illinois senator.

It?s also worth noting that while Obama leads McCain by three points in the poll, Clinton edges the Republican by six points in a hypothetical match up, 49 to 43 percent. But she remains a polarizing figure: 49 percent say they don?t want to see her as president someday, and 42 percent view her favorably versus 41 percent who see her in a negative light.

I wonder why they're polling how Clinton would fare? :)

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I will be looking at the so called new young voters.
These voters were suppose to hand Kerry the election in 2004.
Now they are suppose to do the deciding in 2008.
So far going by past history, they are not doing their job.
Will they THIS time? Or will it be another 2004?

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Looking at the polls it seems that they switched Indiana from Obama to McCain based on a poll that comes out tomorrow.

I've had Indiana pegged Re[ublican all along.

Yeah, you are the fucking smartest man alive Dave. :thumbsup:

RIGHT ON DUDE!!!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: nick1985
Looking at the polls it seems that they switched Indiana from Obama to McCain based on a poll that comes out tomorrow.

I've had Indiana pegged Re[ublican all along.

Yeah, you are the fucking smartest man alive Dave. :thumbsup:

RIGHT ON DUDE!!!

He also had Hawaii pegged Republican.