Max Payne 3 PC to have "gloriously increased resolution and graphical detail"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Wow at those recommended specs.

Hopefully amd doesn't drop the ball with drivers on this game. I might upgrade for this game if dual 6970s don't cut it.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Wow at those recommended specs.

Processor: i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:
2GB - 16GB

Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM

:sneaky: All that for a console port? Sounds like GTAIV style optimizations.

Last edited:

mashumk

May 19, 2012
Wow I love that we're beginning to see required system specs FINALLY beginning to be pushed to 2012 levels. 16gb? awesome! i7-3930K? hoho! GTX 680? haha, not even stating a 670 which is a 680 reference when slightly OC'd.

Hate the artistic style for which current tech is being pushed forward, but I'm thankful for them to do it. Someone has to make that first push to get us out of stagnation. Now hopefully some artistically original games will start appearing over the next year or so and they will recommend 16gb ram and i7-2600k minimum and GTX 670 equivalent.

PS. Bullet time please disappear. In movies and games, it's cheese now. Keep action fast so the heart rate of the viewer doesn't slow down. Keep our chests pumping. It was neat in the first Matrix.

Anyway, won't buy it, but glad for the tech push this company is triggering.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Wow I love that we're beginning to see required system specs FINALLY beginning to be pushed to 2012 levels. 16gb? awesome! i7-3930K? hoho! GTX 680? haha, not even stating a 670 which is a 680 reference when slightly OC'd.
You realize it's only a good thing if the visuals match the specifications, right?

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005

Hate the artistic style for which current tech is being pushed forward, but I'm thankful for them to do it. Someone has to make that first push to get us out of stagnation. Now hopefully some artistically original games will start appearing over the next year or so and they will recommend 16gb ram and i7-2600k minimum and GTX 670 equivalent.

PS. Bullet time please disappear. In movies and games, it's cheese now. Keep action fast so the heart rate of the viewer doesn't slow down. Keep our chests pumping. It was neat in the first Matrix.

Anyway, won't buy it, but glad for the tech push this company is triggering.

I don't think you get it. This has nothing to do with pushing tech, it's just lazy porting on their part. The exact same thing happened with GTA IV.

mashumk

May 19, 2012
You realize it's only a good thing if the visuals match the specifications, right?

Yes, that idea is understood without being stated. But you didn't understand and so stated.

The awareness of powerful tech existing is getting pushed and that was my point. In time one would hope it's put to fantastic use. These screenshots are underwhelming, yes. Devs' fault. Boring art styleand textures.

But now the talk pushing power to its limits will be brought to the forefront. And that's needed.

mashumk

May 19, 2012
I don't think you get it. This has nothing to do with pushing tech, it's just lazy porting on their part. The exact same thing happened with GTA IV.

Refer to my response to the other guy. This can get the gears turning on the industry realizing people have powerful tech and want it to be used optimally.

These screens are bad imo, but it can make another developer say "Oh yeah? See what I can do with an i7-39xx, 16gb ram and a 680."

Getting the ball rolling on a power usage movement (I hope). There will be crap games but also truly optimized works of art. No more "4GB is enough for everything."

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Guys, calm down. Whoever wrote the games "Recommended" system requirements didn't know what he was doing. You certainly don't need a 680/7970 to run it on High at 1080p.

max-payne-3-perf-chart.png

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Has anyone got a chance to play this yet on PC? I wonder how well it's optimized.

Friend bought it, told me it's on 3 DL-DVD's, at 35 gigs or whatever installed, I don't see how the hell it could be close to optimized :D I'm still wondering how they managed to get it to 35 gigs. It's not even a super long game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Friend bought it, told me it's on 3 DL-DVD's, at 35 gigs or whatever installed, I don't see how the hell it could be close to optimized :D I'm still wondering how they managed to get it to 35 gigs. It's not even a super long game.

Lots of high-res textures and high quality audio, I'm guessing.

I really want to play this. But I don't wanna shell out $60 for it. I'll probably buy it as soon as it goes on Steam sale.

Phobic9

Golden Member
Apr 6, 2001
Lots of high-res textures and high quality audio, I'm guessing.

I really want to play this. But I don't wanna shell out $60 for it. I'll probably buy it as soon as it goes on Steam sale.

Likewise. The game sounds awesome but I'd rather not spend $60 on this. I'm willing to guess it'll be on sale pretty soon though.

For the people that did buy it now, how about some screens? :D

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
The game isn't bad. I don't think it's as good for it's time as the first two games were, mostly because it feels kind of clunky to me. The worst part of the game is they break a cardinal rule in game design...they take control out of the players hands way, way too often. It really breaks the immersion. I swear it feels like you're watching it nearly as much as you are playing it. They also need to leave the cursor dot on screen when in cover rather than just when zoomed in, it seems you're always a little off of where you think your cursor should be once it appears.

It does look nice, run fairly well and most importantly I guess feel like a Max Payne game which is what most people seemed to be worried about before release. Oh yeah, to the developers in case one ever happens across this thread....We get it....he drinks, he drinks a lot, he's a drunk, you drove that point home in the first five minutes....then continued to drive on through the next five states, he has an alcohol problem.

Last edited:

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
The game isn't bad. I don't think it's as good for it's time as the first two games were, mostly because it feels kind of clunky to me. The worst part of the game is they break a cardinal rule in game design...they take control out of the players hands way, way too often. It really breaks the immersion. I swear it feels like you're watching it nearly as much as you are playing it. They also need to leave the cursor dot on screen when in cover rather than just when zoomed in, it seems you're always a little off of where you think your cursor should be once it appears.

It does look nice, run fairly well and most importantly I guess feel like a Max Payne game which is what most people seemed to be worried about before release. Oh yeah, to the developers in case one ever happens across this thread....We get it....he drinks, he drinks a lot, he's a drunk, you drove that point home in the first five minutes....then continued to drive on through the next five states, he has an alcohol problem.

Sounds like they didn't go far enough. Better get him into a DUI and get send to a slammer for a while. . .

Or even further, get him into a second DUI involving some kids . . .

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002

Someone needs to tell these developers that cutscenes are boring and if we want to watch a non-interactive story we will watch a movie.

finbarqs

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2005
from a different point of view, I think it's pretty freakin' awesome. No more "nightmare" levels which were completely lame.

I have a i7-930 @ 3.4GHz, 12GB and GTX 480

Ran @ 1680x1050. Max detail except for AA. For 90% of the action, I was > 60fps

Anyways, the story is much better than the first 2. The pacing is awesome. Yes you do feel like you're playing a movie, but then again, it's not nearly as bad as MGS4. (And I do enjoy the MGS series-- Metal Gear Solid) The game play mechanics are virtually identical.

I will say something though: This year, I've purchased 3 games so far on my PC:

Dead Island, Batman Arkham City, and Max Payne 3.

Dead Island, I was hoping to be like Left 4 Dead, but with deeper mechanics, and better graphics. But it turned out to be too overwhelming and frankly the game play really intimidated me.

Batman Arkham City - Same. Too intimidating. But I don't want to waste $20 bucks, so I'll force myself to beat the stupid game. It just feels like it's too long.

Max Payne 3 - Bought yesterday, beat it today. The game was just so engrossing! (along with the story) I'm just glad they didn't get Mark Wahlberg to do the stupid voice of MP.

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Does the PC version run like total crap like all Rockstar PC games? I'm sure it's brought up in this thread somewhere but...5 pages! I gotta sleep.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Runs fairly smooth. I agree with YBS1 100% and I do believe you're actually watching more than you're playing. The cut scenes and videos more than likely account for the large file size. Rockstar is also made up of several development teams and firms, so you never know which one you're going to get.

Last edited:

MTDEW

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Does the PC version run like total crap like all Rockstar PC games? I'm sure it's brought up in this thread somewhere but...5 pages! I gotta sleep.
No, it actually runs great and is well optimized for pc!

I first tested on my main rig 2600k@4.6ghz/16gb ram/two 6950's(2gb vram each) in xfire and it ran great everything maxed 1920x1200 , so i figured, yeah but my laptop will never run it.

Runs great on my laptop also with everything maxed and 4x AA @ 1080p.
My laptop - Asus G73JH - Intel Q740/6gb ram/AMD Radeon mobility HD 5870 w/1gb vram

EDIT:Ooops, sorry, everything isnt maxed on my laptop i have tessellation off, but it still looks great, i never even noticed i had it off.

Last edited: